Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 0000)

In what year ...

sheerwill

[1]Jul 6, 2008
    • level: 8

In what year did you start watching 90210? Do you remember the first episode you ever watched? Why did you start watching 90210 and what made you keep watching it?

Please explain. I thought it would be nice if everyone shared their 90210 experiences.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sheerwill

[2]Jul 6, 2008

I started watching 90210 back in 1996. I don't remember the first episode I watched but it was during late Season 6. I had heard of the show before that but never bothered to watch it. One day I stumbled upon it accidentally while flipping the channels, lol. I guess I must've been bored, but the show caught my attention. I think my initial reaction was "wow, everyone on this show is really hot", lol. So I started watching on a regular basis and I became hooked to the storylines.

I instantly became a Brandon and Kelly fan. They had some good moments in S6 and I loved their chemistry. I also had some prior knowledge about their relationship. Then in the summer of 1996, I watched reruns of the show from the previous seasons and I started liking the Dylan/Brenda and David/Donna relationships. I've always hated Dylan/Kelly, lol. Though intrigued by their hookup at first, I quickly started hating Dylan/Kelly and haven't stopped since. I continued to enjoy the show during S7-8, but I was devastated by the non-wedding. I lost interest in the show during S9 and stopped watching in early 1999. I didn't even bother watching the series finale when it originally aired because I guessed K/D would be together, and unfortunately that's what happened. Last year, I became re-addicted to the show when I started watching the reruns on Soapnet. My love for K/B and my hatred for K/D is just as intense now as it was in the 1990's, and I guess I picked a good time to get back into the show with the spinoff on its way.

Edited on 07/06/2008 8:33pm
    Edited 3 total times.

annie888

[3]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 9

I can't get over how old this show is. I started watching it in either 1990 or 1991. I think the first episode I watched was the one where Brenda & Kelly go skydiving. I thought they were so cool.

I used to watch it every week until about season 4. I can't recall what hooked me, but I think I had a crush on Dylan and I thought Kelly was really pretty. I actually like 90210 more now than I did back then.

stellarchick86

[4]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 32

This is a good idea for a thread!

When it originally aired or was on re-runs on whatever channel it originally aired on (NBC?) I was a bit too young. If it came out in 1990, I wouldve been 4 lol. I remember my brother watching it here and there though, after I started grade school, since he was a teenager about that time. I was still watching like Saved By The Bell at that time, lol. Anyway, once I became a teen, I got into The OC and One Tree Hill and all those shows but not 90210. I was extremly bored one day about a year ago and I had nothing to watch at all, and I was channeling surfing and saw that 90210 was on SOAPNet so I thought why not? I tried it out to see if Id like it and I did! It was during s6 and around the time Dylan and Toni started going out. I was hooked, and started tivoing it since, and wondered why I didnt just watch it sooner. I watched it till it went all around to s6 again and now here I am! lol

Edited on 07/07/2008 4:03am
    Edited 2 total times.

heroesfan07

[5]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 21
    Because Im younger i started with repeats on SKY ONE in 2002. I loved the show. It really got me into teen drama's like The O.C. and Dawson's Creek. I really wanna get the DVDs haven't seen it in years!

FacesDown

[6]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 5

Hmmm. Let's see. I guess it was 1990. I don't remember my first episode, but it must have been from season one during its first run. My strongest emotional attachments were to Brenda Walsh and Dylan McKay, whom I secretly had a crush on. Ahh Brenda and Dylan... I was such a tomboy back then, tagging along with my three older brothers, that I wouldn't admit I cared about such a girly show.

Come to think of it, I had to negotiate with my mom so that she would let me watch it at all. She said that it was too adult. In hindsight, she was probably right, and the PSA-like early episodes fed me information about sex, birth control, and a woman's right to choose that I was too young to fully understand. Years after viewing "Everybody's Talkin' 'Bout It", I was still thinking about Andrea's condom crusade versus the parents' push for abstinence.

Well, I cried a lot during season 3, specifically when Dylan chose Kelly. It crushed me, and I vowed not to watch the show again. Of course, I still watched but not as often. The magic was gone, and I stopped tuning in altogether after Brenda left. Then I saw commercials for the Dylan-Toni love story, and their relationship temporarily brought me back in. I abandoned ship once again after Dylan left, but I did catch the odd episode here and there.

It's only with the recent release of the seasons on DVD and my discovery of online episodes that I've been able to reacquaint myself with marathon sessions. I'm still catching up on some of the later episodes that I was once too bitter to watch, and I feel like I'm falling in love with 90210 all over again.

txgirl75

[7]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 23
    When it first came on in 1990.

SistersP3

[8]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 9

When it started in 1990. I started with the very first episode...I was 12. I started watching because of Shannen (Brenda). Brenda was always my favorite character. Loved her and Dylan!

I never missed an episode...watching all 10 years. I didn't like it as much in the later seasons, but I figured I'd watch the whole series.

Edited on 07/07/2008 8:45pm

benfit64646

[9]Jul 7, 2008

i just started watchin over the last couple of months, i found a cheap season 1 at fye and new it was a really good show back then so i decided to buy it....now im on season three and absolutly hooked, each charected is likeable in there own way,cant wait till later seasons

dool_girl

[10]Jul 8, 2008
    • level: 27
    Wow well i remember the first episode i watched was Brandon and Kellys wedding. I was just a young one, im thinking around 9, and watched it with my mom! I remember her being sooooo upset that they didnt get married!

After that I started watching as many re-runs as I could when they were on FX, but I really started getting into the show about 2 years ago when I got soap net! Im finding so many of my viewpoints on the show have now changed now that ive finally seen almost the entire show season 1-10...im planning on writing a nice long blog once ive seen them all!

sheerwill

[11]Jul 10, 2008
    stellarchick86 wrote:

When it originally aired or was on re-runs on whatever channel it originally aired on (NBC?) I was a bit too young.

90210 originally aired on FOX. It was one of the shows that helped FOX become a major network. When 90210 started, FOX was still a young, struggling channel, much like the CW. I don't expect the spinoff to save the CW though, lol. Not in today's world.

Tia1225

[12]Jul 10, 2008
    I started watching during the first summer season that they did in 1990. I think the first episode I saw was the one when Brenda broke up with Dylan in his car while listening to R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion". I remember how excited I was that they were airing NEW shows during the summer. No one did that back then. I guess I caught up with the first season sometime later when they began airing reruns.

Brandonfan1

[13]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 3
    I started watching 90210 in 1990, when it first came out....starting with the pilot episode! What kept me hooked on 90210 was Brenda and Dylan; and all the great storylines the show had!

HeXxXeD

[14]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 17
    i watched it waaaay back in the day! when i was about 4 or 5 and looked at re-runs lol. but i didn't get real into it until about a year ago when me and Brenda had a lot in common with bestfriend betrayal, and acting. and then Val came in and i knew right then and there that Val and i will click, and then i found out both she and i had a lot in common also.

Chad_Cronin

[15]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 15
    1992. Back when it started we didn't have a local fox in our area. So when we did I was so excited to finally see the show. I remember when the show hit syndication in 1994 like everyone I know was watching the reruns cause none of us got to see the first 2 seasons. I think it was FX that had it first for that. So I recorded the first couple seasons from syndication and the rest as they aired new. I kept those VHS tapes until 2001 as they were aging bad. I am so glad they finally got DVD's coming out.

Magicalboy

[16]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 28

hmm my first episode (I think) was the one where the uncle rapes the girl or something like that.

I think I saw it on FX, I can't remember. Anyways this was probably a couple of years ago since I wasn't even born when the series premiered.

I started watching the series frequently recently on SOAPnet after I found out about the show's spinoff because I was thinking "hey, if am gonna see the spinoff, why not see the original series?" so yea..=P

stellarchick86

[17]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 32
    sheerwill wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:

When it originally aired or was on re-runs on whatever channel it originally aired on (NBC?) I was a bit too young.

90210 originally aired on FOX. It was one of the shows that helped FOX become a major network. When 90210 started, FOX was still a young, struggling channel, much like the CW. I don't expect the spinoff to save the CW though, lol. Not in today's world.

Ah, d@mn, I said FOX at first, and then changed it to NBC because for some reason I thought it was NBC. The CW is doing okay with OTH, Gossip Girl and now 90210 so who knows but yeah they dont pull in as great of ratings as many other networks.

Magicalboy

[18]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 28
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    sheerwill wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:

Ah, d@mn, I said FOX at first, and then changed it to NBC because for some reason I thought it was NBC. The CW is doing okay with OTH, Gossip Girl and now 90210 so who knows but yeah they dont pull in as great of ratings as many other networks.
    The WB and UPN never had amazing ratings anyways.

Naley_Tvfan

[19]Jul 12, 2008
    I started watching it in January 2007. It was just one of those things where we had recently bought a new TV and got a cable box (we didn't have one before) and I noticed that we got 90210 on SoapNet. The first episode I saw was Commencement from season three and I fell in love with this show while I was watching it. I watched it because I had heard of the show before and I wanted to watch it to see what the big deal was. Since then I have been able to see almost all of the episodes. If I could have, I would have seen the show from the first episode but it started a little over a year before I was born.

gl-14

[20]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 1
    I started watching 90210 in 2003 (way after it had finished). Of course, I didn't have much of a choice....I was born on November '90 (so I couldn't really watch it when it was airing ). The reason I started watching 90210 is because of the theme song....I thought it was the coolest one I had ever heard. The first episode I saw was the first one of season 5. After the series ended, I watched it again but this time saw the whole 10 years. And now, 5 years later after seeing 90210 for the first time.....I still love it! I have the first two seasons on DVD (hopefully, i'll get seasons 3-5 on DVD by the end of the year). In the meantime, I just finished downloading season 3 and now have started on season 4!!