TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 2000)

Jumped the Shark?

  • Avatar of Kylie90210

    Kylie90210

    [21]Dec 3, 2007
    • member since: 05/24/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 278
    ^ I loved Donna and David getting back together, and Steve and Janet. But I guess that was about it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Vernita_Green

    Vernita_Green

    [22]Dec 14, 2007
    • member since: 05/11/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 672

    Haven't seen the whole series yet (but I'm watching on SoapNet) but I am extremely pissed off that Kelly and Brandon didn't get married. Well, maybe its not the fact that they didn't get married, what really bothers me is that they feel they have to break up just because they didn't get married on that particular day. So the timing was wrong, BIG DEAL...it doesn't mean its never meant to be. Brandon was very vigilent about getting Kelly back after he cheated on her, and then he lets the relationship fizzle just because they didn't get married on that particular day. I am really annoyed by that.

    It seems to me that the show is starting to focus more on Donna than anyone else.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of smithmyname

    smithmyname

    [23]Dec 14, 2007
    • member since: 10/13/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 30
    kelly's absolutely ridiculous, wince-inducing "i choose me" resolution to the brandon or dylan dilemma. pretty much everything was stupid after that. the absolute final nail was brandon leaving.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wilezrules

    wilezrules

    [24]Dec 14, 2007
    • member since: 06/05/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 252
    The show jumped the shark in Season 6 when Dylan left. After that it merely had it's moments, but I've always felt, if you take the best character out of the mix no matter how good his exit was (the best episode of the series) that's when a show jumps the shark. IMO anyway. After that, you were left with some decent storylines, but nothing really that great. Valerie carried the cast for the most part along with Brandon. Kelly had her cocaine deal in season 6 which was a nice storyline. But after re-watching Season 7, it was pretty painful. Season 8 was intriguing because they were starting out in the real world, but it was painful to watch Brandon-Kelly Part 2. The whole Emma thing actually might have been good if Kelly made Brandon sweat for say... til the end of the series, but obviously that wasn't going to happen because Brandon was leaving. i will say, Seasons 9 and 10 are underrated. They did the best they could with a lousy situation. Seasons 3, 4, 5, and the beginning of 6 were the glory years of the show though.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Tia1225

    Tia1225

    [25]Dec 19, 2007
    • member since: 07/31/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 238
    The show began its decline after the gang graduated college, butit definitely jumped the shark the minute Brandon left for Washington. I love the fact that David and Donna got married, but other than that, seasons 9 and 10 were pretty much a waste.(IMO) Think about it- as soon as Brandon leaves, Steve turns The Beat into a tabloid with ridiculous stories on leprechauns and ghosts. (ick!!) They bring in poor, pathetic Gina, as a sorry attempt to replace Val, because the show always had to keep a dark haired vixen in the cast. But Gina didn't even come close to Val and Brenda. Nothing against Vanessa Marcil, I love her, but that was just a BAD role. Noah spent most of season 9 in a drunken haze, with Dylan in a drug haze. Kelly spent a year and a half dancing around between Matt and Dylan, making herself look even more fickle than she already did. David had a string of romantic encounters that led nowhere, except to statutory rape charges. But the most ridiculous thing of all to me was that they kept the Walsh house alive. When Brandon left, the house should have been sold- end of story. Yet, we have Steve and Janet raising a kid there, Noah moves in, Matt moves in; it was all too weird.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gwen13579

    gwen13579

    [26]Dec 25, 2007
    • member since: 12/26/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 911
    I think the show jumped the shark really, when Brandon cheated on Kelly with Emma. I didn't buy it at all that Brandon would cheat on Kelly, after everything they went through to get back together. A meaningless one-nighter that could sacrifice a long-term loving relationship? That was just so out of character for Brandon.

    Then of course, the Season 8 finale. Bad memories. The wedding we'd been waiting for years, turned out to be the worst wedding ever. Badly written dialogue. No valid reason for why Kelly and Brandon would decide to not get married. Especially when they sleep together in the following episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MikeOrangeman

    MikeOrangeman

    [27]Dec 25, 2007
    • member since: 10/30/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 27
    Brandon leaving was when the show really Jumped> At that point all of the main characters (The Walshes) were gone.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [28]Dec 31, 2007
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    Tia1225 wrote:
    The show began its decline after the gang graduated college, butit definitely jumped the shark the minute Brandon left for Washington. I love the fact that David and Donna got married, but other than that, seasons 9 and 10 were pretty much a waste.(IMO) Think about it- as soon as Brandon leaves, Steve turns The Beat into a tabloid with ridiculous stories on leprechauns and ghosts. (ick!!) They bring in poor, pathetic Gina, as a sorry attempt to replace Val, because the show always had to keep a dark haired vixen in the cast. But Gina didn't even come close to Val and Brenda. Nothing against Vanessa Marcil, I love her, but that was just a BAD role. Noah spent most of season 9 in a drunken haze, with Dylan in a drug haze. Kelly spent a year and a half dancing around between Matt and Dylan, making herself look even more fickle than she already did. David had a string of romantic encounters that led nowhere, except to statutory rape charges. But the most ridiculous thing of all to me was that they kept the Walsh house alive. When Brandon left, the house should have been sold- end of story. Yet, we have Steve and Janet raising a kid there, Noah moves in, Matt moves in; it was all too weird.

    I totally agree with you. Ive always found it weird that they keep the house alive even while they were gone. I dont think any family wouldve kept it, they wouldve sold it. And then Matt moves in? Why? He doesnt have his own house? After they graduated college it wasnt all that great but once Brandon left it was just stupid. And I agree with the part about Gina..I did not like that girl.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mischalover1777

    mischalover1777

    [29]Jan 1, 2008
    • member since: 05/02/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 668

    I think it jumped the shark in the beggining of Season 6 or at the end of Season 7 because dont get me wrong i do think it jumped the shark when Brenda left it was never the same without herbut you could still watch but when it really jumped the shark is like everyone says, when Val and Brandon left!!! What where the producers thinking??

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Semmaluver

    Semmaluver

    [30]Jan 3, 2008
    • member since: 08/29/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 295
    I think it "jumped the shark" when Branon cheated on Kelly.....it just didnt seem real....I mean when he kissed Emily but was still w/Kelly that was believable because he had feelings for Emily but Emma? please then the show took a nose dive they didnt get married,Dylan came back as a druggie and a drunk, Donna and Noah are as lame as ever and Steve and Janet have a kid...yawn
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [31]Jan 3, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    Semmaluver wrote:
    I think it "jumped the shark" when Branon cheated on Kelly.....it just didnt seem real....I mean when he kissed Emily but was still w/Kelly that was believable because he had feelings for Emily but Emma? please then the show took a nose dive they didnt get married,Dylan came back as a druggie and a drunk, Donna and Noah are as lame as ever and Steve and Janet have a kid...yawn


    Yea Im gonna change my answers to yours..hit the nail right on the head. Lol.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gwen13579

    gwen13579

    [34]Jan 13, 2008
    • member since: 12/26/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 911
    ^ Totally. I agree.

    I'll re-do my list of jumping the shark moments:
    1. Dylan flirting with Kelly before Brenda's even left
    2. Dylan "choosing" Kelly in the swimming pool
    3. The idea introduced of Dylan and Kelly being "soulmates"
    4. "Donna Martin Graduates"
    5. Brenda's departure
    6. Dylan predictably pursuing Kelly when she's with Brandon
    7. Toni's tragic death hours after her and Dylan's wedding
    8. Kelly's miscarriage/ being told she might not be able to have more kids
    9. Brandon cheating with Emma because "life was too perfect"
    10. The faux-wedding
    11. The insulting "becoming brother/sister-like" comment
    12. Brandon being a jerk to Kelly in early Season 9
    13. Brandon leaving - and Kelly not going with him
    14. Seasons 9 and 10.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LAWelk

    LAWelk

    [35]Jan 19, 2008
    • member since: 06/04/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 110

    [QUOTE="gwen13579"]^ Totally. I agree. I'll re-do my list of jumping the shark moments: 1. Dylan flirting with Kelly before Brenda's even left 2. Dylan "choosing" Kelly in the swimming pool

    For me, as soon as Dylan chose Kelly, things were not the same. Season three was their senior year, and should have been really really good (see One Tree Hill for a great senior year)but it just wasnt'. The prom was lame! Celeste, a guest star, looked the best of all of them. It was very disappointing. The graduation episode was good, but for me, it just couldn't make up for breaking up Brenda and Dylan.

    I liked season 5's intro of Val, and I liked Brandon with Kelly, but somehow, 90210 was never the same after Dylan chose Kelly.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gwen13579

    gwen13579

    [36]Jan 20, 2008
    • member since: 12/26/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 911
    ^ I know what you mean. I feel the same way about Lucas being with Peyton instead of Brooke last season in One Tree Hill. Even though my favorite couple on 90210 was Brandon/Kelly, very close behind was Dylan/Brenda, so I felt betrayed by the writers when they messed up both these ultimate couples at different points in the show. The original writers even admit they knew both these couples were meant to be together. And yet when these writers are replaced by new ones, and when actors leave, the couples are taken for granted.

    The major screw-ups by the writers were - not having Brandon/Kelly, and Dylan/Brenda as endgame. Season 3 jumped the shark, as did Season 8.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LAWelk

    LAWelk

    [37]Jan 20, 2008
    • member since: 06/04/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 110

    Personally, I try to block season 8 from my memory, as not only did they ruin Kelly and Brandon, but they ruined Donna and David. She left David for Noah! Why!?

    (and sorry, Gwen13579, but I liked Lucas with Peyton)

    Edited on 01/20/2008 3:59pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Semmaluver

    Semmaluver

    [38]Jan 20, 2008
    • member since: 08/29/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 295
    gwen13579 wrote:
    ^ I know what you mean. I feel the same way about Lucas being with Peyton instead of Brooke last season in One Tree Hill. Even though my favorite couple on 90210 was Brandon/Kelly, very close behind was Dylan/Brenda, so I felt betrayed by the writers when they messed up both these ultimate couples at different points in the show. The original writers even admit they knew both these couples were meant to be together. And yet when these writers are replaced by new ones, and when actors leave, the couples are taken for granted.

    The major screw-ups by the writers were - not having Brandon/Kelly, and Dylan/Brenda as endgame. Season 3 jumped the shark, as did Season 8.


    I feel the same way about Lucas and Brooke! I love them together!but this isnt the OTH forum so....in the beginning I liked the idea of Kelly and Dylan hooking up behind Brenda's back because that was pretty juicy but then it got stale and when Brenda and Kelly made him choose I was shocked he didnt choose Brenda right there is a jump the shark moment
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gwen13579

    gwen13579

    [39]Jan 21, 2008
    • member since: 12/26/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 911
    I never wanted Kelly with Dylan, ever. But I should have seen it coming when they had Brandon reject her in Season 1. Another jump the shark moment for me was the episode after Mother's Day in Season 7. Wow, did that suck - BK-wise.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Semmaluver

    Semmaluver

    [40]Jan 21, 2008
    • member since: 08/29/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 295
    oh yeah big time I know I couldnt believe that they told Kelly she wouldnt be able to have kids anymore!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.