Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 0000)

Jumped the Shark?

gwen13579

[41]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 8
    ^ I was really disappointed with that episode. Mother's Day was a great one, well written. And they still could've had Kelly change her mind about wanting the baby, she could've still been pregnant and decided she wanted it after all. And the pregnancy could've been in Season 8 (you know, to make that season at all worthwhile). But nooooo, the writers couldn't do that of course - too much of a happy ending for the couple. And even if she'd had the miscarriage, they didn't have to add the part about her having difficulty with getting pregnant. Totally stupid.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Semmaluver

[42]Jan 21, 2008
    yeah I actually would've liked them to lose the baby (but her still being able to get pregnant) and because they lost their baby their bond grows stronger and they decide to get married...something like that....boy I dont think I'll ever get over the fact that they dont get married!

HeXxXeD

[43]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 17
    ^ thats why in my world season 7 was the last

sheerwill

[44]Jan 21, 2008
    ^ Yeah I agree. Season 7 was the last good season. I would have liked Season 8 if there was no Emma and B/K got married. It had some good B/K moments, especially the "sex" episode, but Emma and the non-wedding ruined the season as a whole. Seasons 9-10 were complete garbage and should have never been made. So all of the last 2 seasons and much of Season 8 were "jumped the shark" moments IMO.

gwen13579

[45]Jan 22, 2008
    In my mind, Season 7 was the last one, too. I don't see why it wasn't really. Season 8 and onwards was the biggest representation of tv crap. It was badly written by all these new writers who just didn't have a clue and messed up all the best relationships. I think the only one they got back on track was David/Donna. It was like they said, to hell with the rest, why should we care?

LAWelk

[47]Jan 23, 2008
    • level: 10

I completely agree with the comments on the show ending at season 7. I think for the last three seasons the new writers not only had bad, and might I add recycled story lines, see Noah, but they made most of the biggest oops moments. These were the seasons with the errors about Val, Dylan drinking again, Brandon's supposed gratefulness to Donna on the first day of school etc.

I really think the poor writing for season 8 was what made both Tiffani and Jason leave the show. And poor Nat, resigned to walking around with a coffee pot.

gwen13579

[48]Jan 23, 2008
    From what I heard, Jason more or less said the writers were recycling old dialogue and scenes and for him it was like, "didn't we already do this 2 seasons ago?"

So yeah, I get his reasoning. I just wish Jennie had decided to leave with him and that they'd requested a happy BK ending

sheerwill

[49]Jan 23, 2008

I think if they ended the show after Season 7, they really wouldn't have to change anything at all. All 3 of the "good" couples were together: B/K, D/D, and D/B (in London). And the end of Season 7 was a positive for each couple (B/K were happy, despite Kelly's miscarriage and her dad's imprisonment; and Donna finally lost her virginity to David). Even though Steve/Clare broke up, it was still a positive for Steve because he finally hooked up with Val after all those years. So Season 7 would have been a perfect end. Season 8 would have been a good end too, but they would need to do some major changes (B/K get married, D/D stay together or reunite, Steve/Janet start dating, Val sorts out her personal issues, no Emma, and preferably no Noah).

BTW, did Steve and Val ever sleep together in Season 5? They may have in "Up in Flames," but I don't remember. If they didn't, then Season 7 would have been their first and only time.

Edited on 01/23/2008 11:12am

gwen13579

[50]Jan 23, 2008
    Season 7 would have been a fine ending with me. Like you said, many of the power couples were still in play. Except Steve/Claire. Then again I always said Season 4 would've been a great ending - BK and DB! But I loved Seasons 5-7 so Season 7 should really have been the end. I think Steve & Val did sleep together in Season 5. I think.

HeXxXeD

[51]Jan 26, 2008
    • level: 17
    gwen13579 wrote:
    Season 7 would have been a fine ending with me. Like you said, many of the power couples were still in play. Except Steve/Claire. Then again I always said Season 4 would've been a great ending - BK and DB! But I loved Seasons 5-7 so Season 7 should really have been the end. I think Steve & Val did sleep together in Season 5. I think.

Val pretty much slept with everyone in season 5 lol except david and almost w/ brandon

n yea i totally agree with what you guys said about season 7 u practically took the words write outta my head and onto my screen.

arkhyel

[52]Jan 29, 2008
    • level: 37
    For me most devastating things has been when some of my favorite characters had left the show. These would include Clare, Brandon, Valerie and Dylan. Pretty much anything else has been acceptable for me. One thing which makes 90210 best show ever is the superb casting. Janet, Matt, Carly and Gina had not ever any chance to take place of the previous characters and that's why the show "jumped the shark" in after season 8.

wilezrules

[53]Feb 4, 2008
    • level: 9
    Season 7 was beyond awful. Just my opinion, but I couldn't stand it. Clare turns into an unbearable b|tch, instead of a funny witty charmer that she was in seasons 4, 5, and 6. They had Valerie in the dumbest storylines. They pay off for Kelly-Brandon part 2, was pretty good with the harps playing and all of that, but come on, Kelly gets pregnant out of nowhere (run that storyline AFTER they graduate, why mix it in with all that other stuff that's going on?) That was ridiculous. The only episodes I liked were the return of Professor Randall, when Steve turned in Brandons term paper as his own, and gets caught. Comedic gold from the Brandon-Steve combo. They should have kept Colin around, and have Kelly do some coke with him for another year. The show hit its peak in Season 6 with the Dylan-Toni, storyline in the first 2 months of that season. It was all very painful after that. They lost the most intriguing character, and basically left with Brandon and Val (2 awesome charcaters), and Steve being funny. Honestly though, I think Season 7 might be worse than Seasons 9 and 10, and that's saying something. The only reason why I might not say that is because, it's pretty essential, in that it was their senior year of college, and they needed to graduate, but there weren't that many good episodes. Very weak season.

gwen13579

[54]Feb 5, 2008
    "Season 7 might be worse than Seasons 9 and 10"

No way, not possible.

A lot of season 7 was slow-paced. But for me it was the last season that was still on form.

wilezrules

[55]Feb 5, 2008
    • level: 9
    Which is why, I kinda said that I couldn't say it was worse than those seasons. I'm kind of on the fence on it, because it was really a weak season, but essential in terms of the fact that it was there and they needed to graduate from college. Problem with Season 9 and 10, was you had a B Class of characters replacing the ones that had been there forever, as somoeone else pointed out. 2 seasons simply isn't enough time to completely change much of your cast. However, I think if you compare apples to apples, and oranges to oranges, you're not gonna find many episodes from season 7, that make you say... WOW this season IS better than anyhting 9 or 10 had. At least I don't.

gwen13579

[56]Feb 5, 2008
    I agree with you to some extent, as in I certainly don't think Season 7 had the 'wow' factor. But the last half was certainly picking up pace again.

LAWelk

[57]Feb 5, 2008

For me, the end would have justified the means, had the show ended, which I know for many it did end here; but in reality it didn't end the show's run.

I really don't like the majority of the episodes in season 7 except for graduation day. I agree that Claire's character became increasingly annoying and I started disliking her. Further, the whole Donna "We Interrupt This Progam" scenario was just too painful to watch in reruns. If the major couples, David/Donna, Brandon/Kelly and Dylan/Brenda hadn't been together, it would have been just another horrendous season like 8, 9 , and 10.

I agree with sheerwill, there was no zip to the season. No stand out episodes. Sorry but it was subpar!

gwen13579

[58]Feb 5, 2008
    Tracy and Mark were damn awful characters, who took up TOO many episodes.

LAWelk

[59]Feb 5, 2008

I agree! Mark was a cocky jerk. He was supposed to be a combination of Dylan and Brandon, a point they drove home to a nauseating extent - but he came across as just a real ass. As for Tracy, she was the ultimate doormat. I didn't hate Tracy, I just thought she was misused and unfortunately given trite, tired lines!

I would have liked to see Tom stay for Valerie. I thought they were a decent couple; not that Tom was the greatest actor, but since season seven could have been the end of the series, it would have been fine by me.

They had such a revolving door of horrible character that were on for like no reason, except to give the regular cast members somebody to react to.

Edited on 02/05/2008 6:47pm

Semmaluver

[60]Feb 5, 2008
    LAWelk wrote:

They had such a revolving door of horrible character that were on for like no reason, except to give the regular cast members somebody to react to.

omg that's exactly how I would describe it! you took the words right out of my mouth