Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 0000)

Jumped the Shark?

  • Avatar of sheerwill

    sheerwill

    [61]Feb 5, 2008
    • member since: 12/12/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 750
    LAWelk wrote:

    For me, the end would have justified the means, had the show ended, which I know for many it did end here; but in reality it didn't end the show's run.

    I really don't like the majority of the episodes in season 7 except for graduation day. I agree that Claire's character became increasingly annoying and I started disliking her. Further, the whole Donna "We Interrupt This Progam" scenario was just too painful to watch in reruns. If the major couples, David/Donna, Brandon/Kelly and Dylan/Brenda hadn't been together, it would have been just another horrendous season like 8, 9 , and 10.

    I agree with sheerwill, there was no zip to the season. No stand out episodes. Sorry but it was subpar!

    Actually, I didn't say anything negative about Season 7. LOL. I think you meant wilezrules.

    I liked Season 7. I agree that most of the episodes weren't as "dramatic" as those of previous seasons but I still enjoyed them. The B/K reunion was spectacular and I anxiously await it everytime I watch Season 7. I really didn't start getting bored of 90210 until Season 8 came along. It became less entertaining without a school environment - whether it be high school or college. But Season 8 was still watchable for the most part and it would have been a good season if it ended with B/K married. Seasons 9-10 are a different story. EVERY episode in those two seasons is painful. I can honestly say that I didn't enjoy a single episode of the last 2 seasons. They were that terrible. Dylan himself was like a faux character, LOL.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wilezrules

    wilezrules

    [62]Feb 5, 2008
    • member since: 06/05/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 252
    I thought Season 8 was intriguing in that they were put out in the real world, but after awhile it just got repetitive and boring, mixed in with some awful storylines like the Emma thing (which woulda been good, if they could have stretched it out longer, but with Jason leaving, that was impossible) and obviously, the "wedding."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sheerwill

    sheerwill

    [63]Feb 5, 2008
    • member since: 12/12/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 750
    ^ I thought Season 8 was intriguing because of that too. But, like you said, some of the storylines were awful and boring. As a B/K fan, I disagree about the Emma storyline being good if it got stretched longer. It would be best if she never came along. But it seemed like that storyline was only done because Jason was going to leave the show. The affair was very inconsistent with Brandon's character.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gwen13579

    gwen13579

    [64]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 12/26/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 911

    sheerwill wrote:
    I liked Season 7. I agree that most of the episodes weren't as "dramatic" as those of previous seasons but I still enjoyed them. The B/K reunion was spectacular and I anxiously await it everytime I watch Season 7. I really didn't start getting bored of 90210 until Season 8 came along. It became less entertaining without a school environment - whether it be high school or college. But Season 8 was still watchable for the most part and it would have been a good season if it ended with B/K married. Seasons 9-10 are a different story. EVERY episode in those two seasons is painful. I can honestly say that I didn't enjoy a single episode of the last 2 seasons. They were that terrible. Dylan himself was like a faux character, LOL.

    You said it for me.

    The mere fact that many people (myself included) prefer to think they don't even exist, surely must say something on a bigger scale, as to how seriously damn awful they really were.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LAWelk

    LAWelk

    [65]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 06/04/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 110
    Sorry, sheerwill, I am usually better at verifying my quotes.
    Edited on 02/06/2008 6:42am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wilezrules

    wilezrules

    [67]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 06/05/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 252
    I think it fit the storyline of Brandon sick of being treated like crap with Kelly, and his life seemingly in slow motion. The way he handled it made it seem that way. Bottom line, if given proper time, the storyline made sense. I don't think it made sense at all the way they did it even with Jason leaving. They jumbled about a years worth of storylines into about 6 episodes, they could have done without all of that, and still gone on with the fake wedding. Because by the wedding, they pretty much all but erased that aspect of the relationship. The mere fact that Kelly would not only take Brandon back THAT soon, much less marry the guy, makes no sense at all. Of course, seeing Brandon groveling for Kelly was painful in itself to watch.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gwen13579

    gwen13579

    [68]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 12/26/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 911
    ^ Luckily I missed all the eps during the time when Kelly finds out he slept with Emma, up until she forgives him. I really dont wanna see all the eps where Brandon is drunkenly grovelling to Kelly. Its kind of embarrassing to be honest
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sheerwill

    sheerwill

    [69]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 12/12/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 750

    wilezrules wrote:
    I think it fit the storyline of Brandon sick of being treated like crap with Kelly, and his life seemingly in slow motion. The way he handled it made it seem that way. Bottom line, if given proper time, the storyline made sense. I don't think it made sense at all the way they did it even with Jason leaving. They jumbled about a years worth of storylines into about 6 episodes, they could have done without all of that, and still gone on with the fake wedding. Because by the wedding, they pretty much all but erased that aspect of the relationship. The mere fact that Kelly would not only take Brandon back THAT soon, much less marry the guy, makes no sense at all. Of course, seeing Brandon groveling for Kelly was painful in itself to watch.

    How is Brandon cheating on his girlfriend consistent with his character? Brandon is Mr. Integrity and Morality. It's highly unlikely he would do something like that, even if Kelly is treating him like crap like you suggest. He's in love with her, so it makes no sense. That's why I said they did the storyline due to Jason leaving the show. They may have been able to do the anti-wedding without the affair storyline, but the reasons given would make even less sense if the affair never happened. I do agree that the marriage was being rushed. It wasn't very believable that they would get married so soon after Brandon cheated on her.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gwen13579

    gwen13579

    [70]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 12/26/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 911
    ^ If the cheating thing being consistent is supposed to be in relation to the Emily thing in S5, then I'm sorry, but that's such a crap excuse. As much as I despised Emily, Brandon did admit "I never thought it was possible till then that you could love 2 people at the same time". So there were feelings involved, he didn't... cheat, as such.

    "I want you in my life... Always." - How did the writers get from this to "I don't think you wanna marry me either"??? I mean, seriously. Did the writers even look back at the scripts for the previous episodes? Methinks they were in such a rush with this storyline that they just did it without thinking at all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sheerwill

    sheerwill

    [71]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 12/12/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 750
    ^ No, I was referring to Emma from Season 8. Emily was different. He only kissed her, but didn't sleep with her. He did love Emily, but Emma meant nothing to him, and that's another reason why the affair makes no sense.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gwen13579

    gwen13579

    [72]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 12/26/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 911
    ^ that's not what i mean. i mean in relation to it being suggested by someone else before you that brandon cheating on kelly in season 8 wasn't out of character anyway, because it's not like he hasn't 'cheated' in some sense before.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wilezrules

    wilezrules

    [73]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 06/05/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 252
    Its not out of character, in the sense, that no one, including Brandon Walsh is perfect. This was illustrated time and time again. Was it out of character during the Emily thing? How about stringing Tracy along? I agree, it's probably out of character in the sense that this was a wam bam thank you mam type situation, which only brings me back to my original point, in that the storyline could have been good if it was given proper time to develop. It wasn't, and the whole second half of season 8 was perfect illustration of what not to do (which i think we all agree on). The whole idea of story writing is to make people crave to see the pay off. Granted, you can wait too long sometimes, but there was no wait involved mostly because of Jason leaving, but also because the writers didn't know what they were doing. Like I said, the story in itself could have been good, but because of poor timing, and lack of time, it was doomed from the start.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [74]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    wilezrules wrote:
    which only brings me back to my original point, in that the storyline could have been good if it was given proper time to develop.


    I just didnt care for the whole storyline to begin with (regardless of Kelly/Brandon, cheating, out of character, etc) because it was SO Fatal Attraction to me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gwen13579

    gwen13579

    [75]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 12/26/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 911
    I thought the whole story was painful to watch. I mean we saw Brandon sit by Kelly's bedside thinking she might die only half a dozen episodes before that. And to see him in such a bad drunken state, begging Kelly to take him back, was just too much. I also thought the whole thing with Kelly thinking she had a connection to Noah because of the blood type thing was beyond ridiculous. The writers just pretty much handled more things badly than they did well that season. Which is why it goes down for me as one of the worst 90210 seasons.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sheerwill

    sheerwill

    [76]Mar 16, 2008
    • member since: 12/12/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 750

    wilezrules wrote:
    Its not out of character, in the sense, that no one, including Brandon Walsh is perfect. This was illustrated time and time again. Was it out of character during the Emily thing? How about stringing Tracy along? I agree, it's probably out of character in the sense that this was a wam bam thank you mam type situation, which only brings me back to my original point, in that the storyline could have been good if it was given proper time to develop. It wasn't, and the whole second half of season 8 was perfect illustration of what not to do (which i think we all agree on). The whole idea of story writing is to make people crave to see the pay off. Granted, you can wait too long sometimes, but there was no wait involved mostly because of Jason leaving, but also because the writers didn't know what they were doing. Like I said, the story in itself could have been good, but because of poor timing, and lack of time, it was doomed from the start.

    Even though I hated Emma, I think you may be right. They could've done a lot more with that. If you look at S8-10, the writers really struggled in terms of coming up with good storylines. There really aren't that many possiblities once you're out of a school environment. An affair would be at the top of the list as far as potential storylines go. So if they stretched out the Emma storyline, they could've created a lot of drama and intrigue as to when B/K would reunite. Emma was only there for like three episodes, so if they prolonged that storyline, I assume she would have to be there for the rest of S8. But do you think it was cut short because of Jason's pending departure? Would they have already known he was going to leave at the end of the season? I think it may have just been bad writing.

    By far the biggest jumped the shark moment was the faux-wedding IMO. I shudder everytime I think about it.

    Edited on 03/16/2008 1:00am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SlickRick77

    SlickRick77

    [77]Mar 16, 2008
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 651

    As soon as they got out of College, the show went downhill.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [78]Mar 16, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    sheerwill wrote:

    wilezrules wrote:
    Its not out of character, in the sense, that no one, including Brandon Walsh is perfect. This was illustrated time and time again. Was it out of character during the Emily thing? How about stringing Tracy along? I agree, it's probably out of character in the sense that this was a wam bam thank you mam type situation, which only brings me back to my original point, in that the storyline could have been good if it was given proper time to develop. It wasn't, and the whole second half of season 8 was perfect illustration of what not to do (which i think we all agree on). The whole idea of story writing is to make people crave to see the pay off. Granted, you can wait too long sometimes, but there was no wait involved mostly because of Jason leaving, but also because the writers didn't know what they were doing. Like I said, the story in itself could have been good, but because of poor timing, and lack of time, it was doomed from the start.

    Even though I hated Emma, I think you may be right. They could've done a lot more with that. If you look at S8-10, the writers really struggled in terms of coming up with good storylines. There really aren't that many possiblities once you're out of a school environment. An affair would be at the top of the list as far as potential storylines go. So if they stretched out the Emma storyline, they could've created a lot of drama and intrigue as to when B/K would reunite. Emma was only there for like three episodes, so if they prolonged that storyline, I assume she would have to be there for the rest of S8. But do you think it was cut short because of Jason's pending departure? Would they have already known he was going to leave at the end of the season? I think it may have just been bad writing.

    By far the biggest jumped the shark moment was the faux-wedding IMO. I shudder everytime I think about it.



    I think they came up w/ the Emma thing as a way for B/K to distance themselves since Jason was leaving, but then they didnt know what to do because if Brandon ends up leaving and they are on bad terms, the fans would be mad if they said goodbye on bad terms forever, but then since he left and they were on relatively good terms everyone got mad because the whole Emma storyline was rushed...I dont know thats just my opinion.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gwen13579

    gwen13579

    [79]Mar 18, 2008
    • member since: 12/26/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 911
    The show first jumped the shark when Kelly said to Dylan "maybe I'll get together with you" when Brenda was driving away on the bus. Even though the triangle was good drama, Dylan's sleazy scenes with Kelly make me hate Season 3 and it's just not the same because Dylan was more of a romantic with Brenda.

    It finally jumped completely after they graduated college. Everything beyond Season 7 really is a summation of an absolute joke.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SlickRick77

    SlickRick77

    [80]Mar 20, 2008
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 651

    I think the After Dark was a bit jump the shark moment.

    EVERY major event took place there and ownership seemed to change hands on a yearly basis rather effortlessly

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.