We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 2000)

Jumped the Shark?

stellarchick86

[81]Mar 20, 2008
    • level: 32
    SlickRick77 wrote:

I think the After Dark was a bit jump the shark moment.

EVERY major event took place there and ownership seemed to change hands on a yearly basis rather effortlessly

I know, I thought that was strange too!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sheerwill

[82]Jun 27, 2008
    • level: 8

Semmaluver wrote:
    I think it "jumped the shark" when Branon cheated on Kelly.....it just didnt seem real....I mean when he kissed Emily but was still w/Kelly that was believable because he had feelings for Emily but Emma? please then the show took a nose dive they didnt get married,Dylan came back as a druggie and a drunk, Donna and Noah are as lame as ever and Steve and Janet have a kid...yawn

I agree. After watching the Emma episodes again today, the show definitely JTS with that. It's so not Brandon.

Here's how I see things now:

1. JTS - Brandon cheating on Kelly with Emma.

2. Death of the show - Brandon and Kelly anti-wedding

3. Final nail in the coffin - Brandon's departure.

My persective may be biased because I'm a huge K/B fan, but that's how I truly feel. Seasons 9-10 were a big bore to me.

HeXxXeD

[83]Jun 28, 2008
    • level: 17
    believe it or not i think season 9 was waaaay better than the borefest of season 8. Gina is a very underrated character and has a different aspect of depth than Val which i found good and entertaining, she wasn't directly a "Val Replacement".
    i honestly think it jumped the shark when Dylan came back but i still liked the show regardless, at least until that retched season 10 started... ew.

sheerwill

[84]Jun 29, 2008
    • level: 8
    I used to dislike S8 because of the bitter ending, but now I like it for the most part. I don't like some of the storylines, such as Emma and the anti-wedding, but there is nothing that you can really snooze thru. There's a lot going on so I don't find it boring. In the beginning, they're all trying to find work, Kelly gets shot, then Brandon and Kelly have a sex-a-thon, then Erica is a prostitute, Steve almost becomes a dad, then there's Emma followed by Brandon pining for Kelly and their reunion, Val and David, Val's date rape, etc. It's a very interesting season imo.

You already know how I feel about S9/10, lol.

LAWelk

[85]Jul 1, 2008
    • level: 10

I agree with you sheerwill, that many things happened during season 8, but the writing was poor. Why is it that all the women on the show are helpless without a man in their life, and those that aren't helpless, are seen as backstabbing, predatory, psycho witches. ,

Case in point:

1. Val: Throughout her stint on 90210, Val was conniving and always wanting to plot revenge on the other women in the show; yet the guys for the most part are blameless. For example, Val was trying to seduce Brandon, it couldn't have been that Brandon was a willing participant. She was perceived as the slut when she was date raped by Noah, yet Noah remained rather blameless. Granted he wasn't a rapist, but nobody seemed bothered by the fact that he had slept with Val. Oh, wait I forgot, he was drunk and had no control of his faculties.

Also, when Colin and Val got together, Colin was just helplessly pursued by Val, and couldn't possibly refuse her advances. Again, the women are the ones who are predators, but the men are the blameless heroes who cannot help how attractive they are.

2. Emma: Granted I am not fond of her either, but, she mercilessly pursues Brandon, and when she cannot have the man she wants, she goes psycho. Instead of hurting Brandon, I realize that she does "hurt" Brandon by telling Kelly who breaks up with him, but, why doesn't she attack Brandon directly, for example, slap a sexual harassment charge on him, like Kelly does with Dr. Monahan?

3. Emily: Emily, driven by lust for Brandon, cannot handle his rejection and becomes a pyromaniac. She continues to call Brandon's home incessantly, tries to drug him, etc. all because Brandon is so irresistible and women just cannot deal rationally with their feelings: he drives them to insanity.

4. The view of single mothers. In season 8, when Steve thought Jodi was pregnant with his child, he warns Jodi that he' seen the life of a single mother and its hell. If Jodi is pregnant, she'll be giving up so many things, but if he is the father, what.....nothing it would seem. The women are the ones who pay for their mistakes, while the men are able to walk around blameless and continue their sleeping around.

I don't know...maybe I'm ranting. Just one girl's honest opinion.

stellarchick86

[86]Jul 1, 2008
    LAWelk wrote:

I agree with you sheerwill, that many things happened during season 8, but the writing was poor. Why is it that all the women on the show are helpless without a man in their life, and those that aren't helpless, are seen as backstabbing, predatory, psycho witches. ,

Case in point:

1. Val: Throughout her stint on 90210, Val was conniving and always wanting to plot revenge on the other women in the show; yet the guys for the most part are blameless. For example, Val was trying to seduce Brandon, it couldn't have been that Brandon was a willing participant. She was perceived as the slut when she was date raped by Noah, yet Noah remained rather blameless. Granted he wasn't a rapist, but nobody seemed bothered by the fact that he had slept with Val. Oh, wait I forgot, he was drunk and had no control of his faculties.

Also, when Colin and Val got together, Colin was just helplessly pursued by Val, and couldn't possibly refuse her advances. Again, the women are the ones who are predators, but the men are the blameless heroes who cannot help how attractive they are.

2. Emma: Granted I am not fond of her either, but, she mercilessly pursues Brandon, and when she cannot have the man she wants, she goes psycho. Instead of hurting Brandon, I realize that she does "hurt" Brandon by telling Kelly who breaks up with him, but, why doesn't she attack Brandon directly, for example, slap a sexual harassment charge on him, like Kelly does with Dr. Monahan?

3. Emily: Emily, driven by lust for Brandon, cannot handle his rejection and becomes a pyromaniac. She continues to call Brandon's home incessantly, tries to drug him, etc. all because Brandon is so irresistible and women just cannot deal rationally with their feelings: he drives them to insanity.

4. The view of single mothers. In season 8, when Steve thought Jodi was pregnant with his child, he warns Jodi that he' seen the life of a single mother and its hell. If Jodi is pregnant, she'll be giving up so many things, but if he is the father, what.....nothing it would seem. The women are the ones who pay for their mistakes, while the men are able to walk around blameless and continue their sleeping around.

I don't know...maybe I'm ranting. Just one girl's honest opinion.

I totally agree with you. Its like that with other shows as well. In One Tree Hill, Brooke will get mad at Peyton for kissing Lucas however many times but Lucas doesnt get quite as much flack. I cant speak for tv shows in itself other than OTH, but in general, women for some reason always blame the other woman for being with her man than the boyfriend itself. Ive seen it countless times- movies, music videos, etc where the woman comes home to see her BF/husband in bed with another woman and shes starts slapping/yelling at the girl instead of the guy! The woman may not have even known he had a bf/husband (wedding rings do come off) and the bf/husband is of course FULLY aware! Its sad really that its like that and if that ever happened to me I would be going after the guy, but I have seen it happen so many times that its almost a cliche.

Anyway you do make good points, stuff I never really thought about, and my point may or may not have to do with what youre saying (lol) but I felt like rambling there about something similar.

Edited on 07/01/2008 8:35pm

LAWelk

[87]Jul 1, 2008
    • level: 10

I agree stellarchick about Brooke and Lucas, although, at least Brooke is able to stand on her own and doesn't cave like the girls of 90210. Brooke would kick Brandon's bro ho behind to the curb!!

stellarchick86

[88]Jul 2, 2008
    LAWelk wrote:

I agree stellarchick about Brooke and Lucas, although, at least Brooke is able to stand on her own and doesn't cave like the girls of 90210. Brooke would kick Brandon's bro ho behind to the curb!!

Yeah thats true..although she did go back w/ him for all of season 3 (or like 80%) and I think she was ready for him too towards the end of season 2 as well. So she mayve not caved like you said and she wouldve kicked Brandons a$$ but she still went back with him. Im not so sure I wouldve, especially since its always obvious to us how much hes loved Peyton for 4 seasons (although it may be because we are the audience so its obvious for us and we see things that she doesnt).
    Anyway, yeah I was also going to add about the Brenda/Dylan/Kelly triangle, I just forgot. It seems everyone hates Kelly but doesnt really have any feelings towards Dylan. And if I remember correctly, Kelly felt really bad but Dylan was kind of like "whats done is done". So thats another triangle where the guy has pretty much 0-little blame.

Kaiyla

[89]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 4
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    LAWelk wrote:

Yeah thats true..although she did go back w/ him for all of season 3 (or like 80%) and I think she was ready for him too towards the end of season 2 as well. So she mayve not caved like you said and she wouldve kicked Brandons a$$ but she still went back with him. Im not so sure I wouldve, especially since its always obvious to us how much hes loved Peyton for 4 seasons (although it may be because we are the audience so its obvious for us and we see things that she doesnt). Anyway, yeah I was also going to add about the Brenda/Dylan/Kelly triangle, I just forgot. It seems everyone hates Kelly but doesnt really have any feelings towards Dylan. And if I remember correctly, Kelly felt really bad but Dylan was kind of like "whats done is done". So thats another triangle where the guy has pretty much 0-little blame.

I agree with you about the Kelly/Dylan/Brenda triangle. I even caught myself blaming it all on Kelly. I lost respect for Dylan though after he started dating Kelly because he became a total jerk compared to the romantic he was with Brenda and it really bugged me how he would tell Brenda she wasn't just another girl and she would always mean something to him and when they were dating he loved her and they were supposed to be supposed soul mates and then all of a sudden when Kelly gets insecure Dylan tells her they're soulmates. I mean okay fine Kelly MAY have been his soulmate that's not what bugs me. What bugs me is how Dylan never really chose between Brenda and Kelly and the fact that Kelly was okay with that. From season 1 to season 4 there was always something between Dylan and Brenda and they way Dylan went about that was so jerkish(I know not a word). He treated Kelly like crap and would go to Brenda and expect her to fix things when he had issues and then once Brenda made him feel better he would go to Kelly. He used Brenda for the emotional needs he had and used Kelly for the physical needs. He never made up his mind and he just became a jerk once he started dating Kelly. Also did it make anyone else want to puke in season 3 with all the sex references between Dylan and Kelly it was like thats all their relationship was about sex that was another thing that ticked me off because with Brenda Dylan had an actual relationship but with Kelly it was all physical and Kelly deserved better than that. She basically gave up her friendship for sex and make out sessions with Dylan. Don't even get me started on the way Dylan acted in season 10 and the end of season 9. The way he went after Kelly was pathetic and totally un Dylan like. I'e always hated how when Kelly and Dylan get together they hurt other people and then they only last a month before their at each others throats. They make these grand gestures of love and stomp all over peoples hearts for one month of good sex and another month filled with arguing. It makes no sense and is just plain stupid.

HeXxXeD

[90]Aug 25, 2008
    IMO. the show jumped the shark as soon as Vanessa announced resignation. season 10 would have been much better with her on the show. and he character wouldn't have been butchered by Tori and i honestly believe Delly wouldn't have gotten together in the end.

Kaiyla

[91]Aug 26, 2008
    • level: 4

When the show really jumped the shark was when Kelly and Dylan started going out and then again when Brenda left and then when Gina left in season 10.

HeXxXeD

[92]Aug 27, 2008
    ITA!

crosh

[93]Mar 4, 2012
    • level: 5

sheerwill wrote:

wilezrules wrote:
    I think it fit the storyline of Brandon sick of being treated like crap with Kelly, and his life seemingly in slow motion. The way he handled it made it seem that way. Bottom line, if given proper time, the storyline made sense. I don't think it made sense at all the way they did it even with Jason leaving. They jumbled about a years worth of storylines into about 6 episodes, they could have done without all of that, and still gone on with the fake wedding. Because by the wedding, they pretty much all but erased that aspect of the relationship. The mere fact that Kelly would not only take Brandon back THAT soon, much less marry the guy, makes no sense at all. Of course, seeing Brandon groveling for Kelly was painful in itself to watch.

How is Brandon cheating on his girlfriend consistent with his character? Brandon is Mr. Integrity and Morality. It's highly unlikely he would do something like that, even if Kelly is treating him like crap like you suggest. He's in love with her, so it makes no sense. That's why I said they did the storyline due to Jason leaving the show. They may have been able to do the anti-wedding without the affair storyline, but the reasons given would make even less sense if the affair never happened. I do agree that the marriage was being rushed. It wasn't very believable that they would get married so soon after Brandon cheated on her.

to me it looked like emma forces him to do it.(by physically taking him in her bed).