Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 2000)

Just Announced Today (Spin-off)

Chad_Cronin

[21]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 15

ok, maybe they aren't using Erin, but apparently they are using the name Silver. Here is what Perez just posted -

Details of the 90210 spinoff have been leaked!

Looks like the yet-to-be greenlit show could feature more racial diversity than the original. That's a good thing!

The focus of the show will be the Mills family of Beverly Hills. Matriarch of the family is Tabitha Mills, actress/alchoholic who was a major star in the 1970s and had been linked to everyone from Warren Beatty to Jack Nicholson (sounds like Lohan in her 60's). After her latest bout at rehab, Tabitha decides to try to live on her own in her BH estate.

Alcoholic mom on her own? No way! Enter the 'new' Walshes. Do-gooder son Harrison "Harry" Mills, a 1980s graduate of Beverly Hills High, decides to move back home to the 90210 after years in St. Louis to look after mommy dearest. He brings with him his wife, Celia, an Olympic athlete who's looking forward to living in Lalaland, and ends up working as a personal trainer.

They have two 16-year-olds, daughter Annie and adopted son Dixon. Annie is theater type who's desperate to fit in with the cool crowd. Dixon is a supersmart bad boy with social and behavioral issues. The producers are supposedly open to actors of all ethnicities for the Dixon role.

Here's who Annie and Dixon will be hanging with at BHHS:

Daphne Silver: a wannabe socialite who hosts her own YouTube series. She becomes good pals with Annie and has a crush on Dixon (as well as the only Jewish girl at BevHills High with a black boyfriend - another hint that producers are considering making Dixon's character non-white). Sounds a little Andrea to us!

Max Silver: Daphne's 24-year-old brother, is a working man who manages the family movie theater at the Century City Mall. He seems forever on the verge of a nervous breakdown and appears to be harboring some secrets. Could he be a 'darker' Nate?

Navid Shirazi: produces the high school's student-run video newscast and is of Middle Eastern descent. He's the consummate high school politician. He seems very Brandon-esque.

Ethan Ward: a likable jock who falls out of favor with the "in" crowd and ends up hanging with the Annie/Dixon crew. Steve is that you?

Naomi Bennett: Ethan's super-hot, ultra-rich ex-girlfriend. She appears to be a brat but will end up having more layers. A little bit of Donna plus a little bit of Kelly?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

robinepowell

[22]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 63

Here's the lastest from TV Guide and apparently Daphne's name will be changed.

quote: The CW's 90210 Spinoff: New Details

A detailed breakdown on The CW's planned 90210 spinoff has been released, detailing the show's protagonists and hinting at possible story lines. (The pilot is being written by Rob Thomas, who, of course, created Veronica Mars.)

The follow-up centers on the Mills family, who has recently moved from the Midwest to Beverly Hills. The plot's MacGuffin is that Harry Mills' mother, a 1970s movie star, has an alcohol problem and now needs constant supervision. Naturally, she will be everyone's favorite character.

Harry is an educational administrator of some sort; his wife, Celia, is a personal trainer/former Olympic cyclist. They met in the Peace Corps, and as such will be as sweet and forthright as Jim and Cindy Walsh. As in the original, there are two 16-year-old kids, but this time they aren't twins. Annie, a sensitive theater student, is the Mills' biological daughter; Dixon, a bright but troubled lad, was adopted at age 10.

Annie's new best friend is Silver (born Daphne Silver, but now she's rocking a uni-name), who seems like an amalgamation of early Kelly Taylor (when she was still Brenda's frenemy) and Tila Tequila. The self-promoting, YouTube-loving Silver lives with her twentysomething brother Max in a swank manse. Their folks are conspicuously absent, having been "on a cruise" for as long as anyone can remember. The breakdown insinuates that the parents might actually be dead... and that the kids might have been involved! Very Menendez-meets-Mars! While it's significant that this family shares a surname with the original series' David Silver, it's unclear at this point if there is any relation, or if the producers intend to bring back any characters from the original. (Just in case: Joe E. Tata, call your agent!)

A Middle Eastern character named Navid, producer of the school's closed-circuit TV newscast and Dixon's best friend, appears to be the new Andrea. Rounding out the cast are Ethan and Naomi, a tempestuous, on-again/off-again couple who form the other two points of a love triangle producers envision for Annie - and thus mirrors the early Kelly-Dylan-Brenda scenario and the later, less successful Brandon-Kelly-Dylan "I choose me" garbage.

Despite the absence of a Steve Sanders type (Long live KEG!) or a significant role for Tori Spelling's infant child, how does Nuevo 90210 sound to you? - Mickey O'Connor /quote

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/Beverly-Hills-90210/800035777

stellarchick86

[23]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 32
    To me, this isnt a spinoff. A spinoff requires at least 1 actor from the previous show of the same name on it. This is just a ripoff personally. Same name, same plots/storylines, different actors/names. I dont think Ill be watching it then.

sheerwill

[24]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 8
    I'll probably give the show a chance and watch it to see how it is, but my expectations are very low at this point.

miss_chanel

[25]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 17
    as a seasoned 90210 fan, i am furious about this.
    Edited on 03/19/2008 5:07pm

txgirl75

[26]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 23
    Sounds like they are making the same 90210 that started 18 years ago. Disappointed I was hoping a spin off would mean seeing some of the old cast not a remake. I may give it a try see if it's worth watching I don't know.

FanWriter

[27]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 7
    From People.com

There's a new family moving into the exclusive 90210 zip code. Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas is penning the pilot for the CW's spinoff Beverly Hills, 90210, and though he didn't mention the do-good Walsh family from the original made famous in the '90s, he revealed some details about the new family.

"The guy who gets hired as the new principal brings his family of four from Kansas to Beverly Hills. The
    principal, himself, graduated from West Beverly High School," he said. "The grandmother - the principal's
    mother - is a Julie Christie-like actress who is once again going into rehab." The principal is "reluctantly" moving back to his old stamping grounds and bringing his wife, son and daughter with him, he said.

Don't expect to find everyone gathered at the counter of The Peach Pit, at least not in the pilot, Thomas said, but he hopes to bring the '50s-style diner popularized in the original version into future episodes of the show.

Of course, the children from the Midwest won't be living off their parent's credit cards. "I think, one or both sibling's jobs will be at a movie theater," Thomas said. Since it is a spinoff, is there any chance we'll be running into Brandon, Kelly or Dillon? "There is a plan for bringing back one of the cast members," but he said he didn't know which one because "we haven't talked to any of them."

DepthofField25

[28]Mar 20, 2008
    • level: 19

DepthofField25 wrote:
    I'm very skeptical about this. I enjoy 90210 because of the characters, not the concept (of a Midwestern family experiencing culture shock in the rich community that is Beverly Hills) so I don't know if I'd be willing to start over with an entirely new group. I'd constantly be comparing them to the originals...

Meh, I spoke too soon. This sounds like a knock off of the original save for a few minor plot and character tweaks...

stellarchick86

[29]Mar 20, 2008
    Yeah it sounds to me like money-hungry network execs trying to relive the 90210 spirit/fandom by creating the whole thing over again. I wish they wouldnt and just keep it the way it is.
    It may work, if theyre trying to go after a teen market this may be the time, The OC has been off the air almost a year, One Tree Hill is in post-college days and I dont watch Gossip Girl so I couldnt tell you how good that is so..but who knows.

Geminigirl24

[30]Mar 20, 2008
    • level: 5

Fans aren't the only ones talking about the spin-off: Did anyone see Leno a few days ago? He actually mentioned it in his monologue! He said, (this is not an exact quote, but it's close) " Did you hear a spin-off to the hit show Beverly Hills 90210 is being planned? Not sure if the original cast is coming back or not. I'm not saying they're getting old, but maybe it should be called Coral Gables, 33505!" (or something like that) I thought it was pretty funny (at least until I realized most of the cast is younger than me!! )

robinepowell

[31]Mar 20, 2008
    I guess we'll find out soon if anyone of the original cast would return. It would make sense to have Kelly or David show up if Erin is one of the cast members.

txgirl75

[32]Mar 21, 2008
    I just read on et online that Tori is thinking about joining the spin off. Hopefully we will get some of our fav 90210ers on here. I know not that many people cared for including but she's grown up so maybe she be better. I was wondering if you could pick of the orginal cast to come back on the spin off who would you pick.
    I pick I guess Donna and Kelly those two were such good friends and I know Tori and Jennie are close so may Jennie will do it if Tori is. I would also want Steve got to love Steve and Janet and their little girl would be 8 or 9 I think. Also Brandon but I know he probably won't do it. That's who I would pick. Yes Brenda be great too. I guess that's it And Val. I know were probably dreaming but it's okay to dream.

robinepowell

[33]Mar 21, 2008

Yeah I read that at TV Guide:

quote:

Who Will Cross Over to the 90210 Remake?

Well, first off, according to People.com, Tori Spelling says she's game. Conveniently, the show's cast breakdown includes siblings with the last name Silver, which, you'll remember, is also Donna's married name. So, in a fantasy land where the producers think that Spelling joining the cast is a good idea, how could they best incorporate Donna Martin Silver Graduates? - Mickey O'Connor

We'll start with Spelling's own "ideas."

The trophy wife: Spelling plays the young stepmom of the Silver kids.
    Snap judgment: Maybe. Producers keep calling this a "spin-off," which would imply that one or more characters from the old show will appear, if only briefly, on the new show. That said, if Spelling plays Donna Martin on the new show, it would mean she will have A) dumped David and B) married another guy with the last name Silver, which seems unlikely, unless the twist is that she married David's uncle or something. Plus, the breakdown seems to indicate that the Silver parents are not around much. But maybe that's a good thing.

The sex-ed teacher: Spelling thinks it would be funny if her character, the eternal virgin, grew up to be a sex-positive educator.
    Snap judgment: No. I never got how 90210 sold Spelling as some kind of genius slapstick comedienne, especially in the early years. She had her moments, but mostly she wasn't laugh-out-loud funny. Besides, sex-ed-****scenes on TV are usually terrible, teetering between mining for vaguely sexist comedy (****stud brags about his skillz, but doesn't know what a "vulva" is) and attempting to provide accurate information for the kiddies (the old condom-on-the-banana routine). Spare us the lecture.

And now, my infinitely superior idea....

The "Nat": Spelling plays Donna, who is now the proprietress of a hip Beverly Hills Asian fusion restaurant called Bao Thai, the kids' new Peach Pit. After David's music career took off in Japan (and only Japan), Donna's travels made her quite the connoisseur of pan-Asian cuisine and culture. As a result, she now dresses like a kind of hip, punk-rock geisha, dispensing advice in ironic, fortune-cookie-****puns. ("She who looks only at a man's face might miss his bottom line.") Can't you picture the kiddies scarfing up free spring rolls? Think of all the underage-saketini-drinking possibilities.

And now, your snap judgment? Would you have Spelling play an adult Donna Martin? Or someone else entirely? /quote

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/90210-Remake-Cross/800036003

txgirl75

[34]Mar 21, 2008
    I do find it strange that they are have Characters with the last name SIlver that just don't make sense. Unless they adopted which is possible. I will be curious to see how things turn out.

stellarchick86

[35]Mar 22, 2008
    I dont think I could watch Tori "act" for an hour with no other previous characters there..it was bad enough the first time. I mean when shes drunk at the prom- omg my dog couldve done a better job!

sheerwill

[36]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 8
    ^ LMAO!!! It was scary hearing Tori mention in an interview that she would want to play a "MILF" on this new show. I could never imagine her in that type of role, nor do I want to. eewww!

HeXxXeD

[37]Mar 22, 2008
    ^ if she even dared to try and play the part of a MILF i will do the part of BARFing all over my living room floor... ugh gag me!

wilezrules

[38]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 9
    Im still not quite sure how this is a spin off.

HeXxXeD

[39]Mar 23, 2008
    ^ im guessing it is just because it is the next generation at West Bev. High in 90210 but thats all i can think of

stellarchick86

[40]Mar 23, 2008
    wilezrules wrote:
    Im still not quite sure how this is a spin off.

Well if they dont add Tori or BG or Jennie or anyone else for that matter, it wouldnt be. But it sounds to me like they are taking the original plotline to BH, making it more modern and maybe adding tori in and calling it a spinoff.