TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 2000)

Oopsies game

ILUVSCOFIELD

[101]Oct 20, 2008
    • level: 9
    I don't think this is an oopsie just something I realized while watching old episodes. Is Andrea the only main cast member who was never shown driving a car. I'm pretty sure I've seen every eppy, and I've never seen her behind the wheel.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[102]Oct 20, 2008
    • level: 32
    ILUVSCOFIELD wrote:
    I don't think this is an oopsie just something I realized while watching old episodes. Is Andrea the only main cast member who was never shown driving a car. I'm pretty sure I've seen every eppy, and I've never seen her behind the wheel.

Yeah..I guess its because she doesnt have a car and couldnt afford to get one at any time. Brandon has a car, all the "Beverly Hills kids" do too and that makes sense since they can afford it and their parents will make sure they have a car. And Im pretty sure the only time we saw Brenda drive was because she was trying to get her license otherwise we wouldnt have. And Scott didnt either, but since he was a freshman in s1, he died before he wouldve turned 16 right? Him and Andrea wouldve made an interesting couple because they were both annoying lol.

Geminigirl24

[103]Oct 22, 2008
    • level: 5
    Speaking of Andrea... Was it ever mentioned why she stopped wearing her glasses? I don't remember it being talked about. (Althought that doesn't mean it wasn't!) I think they should have kept her in her glasses and longer hair throughout high school cuz it made her look younger. Without the glasses and with the color and cut of her hair and with the way she dressed, she looked as old as she was in real life! Then when they started college she had a little bit longer hair and more youthful clothes, and looked younger again! Good job, wardrobe department!

DepthofField25

[104]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 19

^^Well, when you start hanging out with the cool kids you gotta get contacts, haha.

Anyways, don't take my complete word for it but I think I recall Andrea driving at least once or twice. The BH Beach Club comes to mind...

Naley_Tvfan

[105]Dec 5, 2008
    • level: 8
    Early on in the series, I'm pretty sure it was season one, when Donna auditions to be on the school's radio station she says her name is Donna Morgan. However, she is never called that again for the rest of the series.

stellarchick86

[106]Dec 8, 2008
    Naley_Tvfan wrote:
    Early on in the series, I'm pretty sure it was season one, when Donna auditions to be on the school's radio station she says her name is Donna Morgan. However, she is never called that again for the rest of the series.

As opposed to Martin? That is weird. But Ive seen that on tv shows before where they say the wrong last name on someone because the writers forget after a while who has what last name. Although Donnas a main character so they shouldnt but..whatever! lol She had a whole different mom when the show first started, not even just the actor which I could understand, but a different name! (Nancy --> Felice).

hippiehop

[107]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 1
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    HeXxXeD wrote:

number 14 made since. Val was a sociopath. sometimes when sociopaths lie they begin to believe themselves and could sometimes pass polygraphs because they are so good. It is very possible that Val killed her dad and then covered it over like she never did it and told herself throughout all those years that she never killed him. He killed himself. and she believed herself. until David pushed her further and further until giving up the truth.

15 it is very possible to have skin to regrow over the burnt skin and you would look as good as new. I have heard certain cases of people with serious burns who gained their skin back and looked the same before the burning had took place.

Well I dont mean that Val couldnt have killed him and then made it sound like she didnt know it was true and all that, because I did believe she did it and believe that she couldve easily covered it up (basically what you said) what I meant was how the story was portrayed and the camera angles and stuff. I mean if you killed someone in the bathroom I guess it would be, why would you dream about opening the door and seeing him already dead on the floor? Youd dream about killing him and him falling to the floor ya know what I mean? Maybe its jsut me.

I was thinking the same thing and came into this thread with this issue in mind. They recently showed the episode where she has these flashback dreams, and I was confused because of course I knew that she was the one that killed him. It makes sense that she'd have a cover story, or even that she would block it out, but it was pretty weird to be haunted by something that never really happened. And yes, it was the camera angles and stuff that made it weird. I just wonder if the writers had the whole story planned out at that point, it would seem like they didn't from those dream sequences. It's a really good story though.

I think Dylan's dad being alive is a good story too. It actually makes a lot of sense considering that his dad was an informant. It's a better story than if he was killed. And it makes Toni's death even more heartbreaking. It would have been better if he came back sooner but since Dylan left the show I guess it had to wait. Of course the thing that makes no sense is that Dylan watched it happen. I guess he was on the phone and looking away for a second? Again, like the Val story it would have been better if they had planned it like that from the start, so the story would seem more consistent. But when I recently saw the scene where Dylan learns that his dad was an informant, it totally made sense to me that he is secretly alive.

stellarchick86

[108]Dec 17, 2008
    The thing that wouldve made sense to do with this Jack thing is that Jack knew what was going on with these guys all along and staged his death. He wouldve put a dummy in the car, that way he can go on and live his life in AZ and these guys can think hes dead. The only problem is that we see Jack walking to the car and it blowing up or whatever dont we? I havent seen it in a while, all I remember is Dylan being on the phone or something and Jack walking towards it and Dylan yelling out "dad!" or "Jack!" or whatever and running over. If they had changed the scene so that we see Jack saying "Im going to go walk to my car" and then it pans to Dylan on the phone or whatever and then pans back to Jack, it may be believable because then Dylan wouldnt have been paying attention and would be thinking its Jack and then Jack can run off somewhere in the meantime. But in s9 they didnt say anything like this at all, so the whole thing was very confusing. Basically, he died and they ran out of storylines so it was like "ohh tee-hee hes alive afterall". Same with Val and that whole thing, they added it for drama just hoping it would make sense to us, but it didnt.
    Edited on 12/17/2008 5:54pm

Geminigirl24

[109]Jan 5, 2009

You're right, StellarChick, the way they filmed the scene there was virtually no way Jack could've gotten away without being seen. There were no other cars parked nearby, nor did any cars drive past. And Dylan had just looked away as he answered the phone when the car blew up. Maybe when the writers decided to bring Jack back they hoped the fans couldn't/wouldn't remember the original scene. Or maybe they didn't care, since soap opera writers do it all the time!

Another "oopsie" that bothers me is how Donna was the last one (of the 'older' group) to turn 21, when her b-day was in Dec. Unless they've changed the age cut-off since I was in school, generally people born in Dec. were older than the rest of their schoolmates. I don't recall there ever being any mention of Donna being held back, and wasn't there an episode where she talks about being able to register to vote before everyone else? What was up with that!!

stellarchick86

[110]Jan 5, 2009
    This is the way I understand it...
    For ex, if the new year just rang as 1990 and we were in January, and Donna was born Dec 25th, then shed probably be the last one born out of the group because the new year would be 5 days away to make it 1991. But in the school year, shed be born around the middle of the year because its from August-May or September-June in the states usually. So if lets say they graduated in June 1994 (I forget what year it was in the show) and they are all supposed to be either 17 or 18, Donna wouldnt be 18 yet because her bday would still be another 5 months or so away. If Brandons bday is, lets say, 2 months before, so April (this is just hypothetical), he'd be older than her by 7 months but still born within the same year. It gets confusing, I wish school would go by the year instead of seasons as well (even though itd be weird to have a summer break in winter, but whatever) but they dont. My best friend was born Sept 1985 and I was born Apr 1986 so it sucked when she had a bday ahead of me esp. 18 and 21 years of age and I got confused by that too since we were in the same grade but you should go by years instead of school grades. Hopefully you get where Im coming from and I got where youre coming from as well because it can be quite confusing. But just as a sidenote, I never go by tv shows and the ages/grades on them. They never seem to be able to get it right. BH90210 and The OC did the same thing where they repeated junior year so they got weird about ages there and even in Friends Monica says shes 28 in s1 or s2 and then int he 7th season is when they all celebrate their 30th bday. Wth? So yeah I just watch the tv for entertainment and I dont look at it as a place/time/location you know what I mean? Not to say youre wrong for doing it, but Im just saying Im not surprised they screwed it up because they usually do and I guess keep tracking of 7-8 people is too much for the writers lol.
    Edited on 01/05/2009 7:22pm

stellarchick86

[111]Jan 8, 2009

I think I found an oopsie myself but Im not 100% sure and its a little one anyway.

When Dylan goes to look for Toni, he is convinced that it is a guy probably named Anthony (he says hes named after his father) but then of course he finds out its a girl named Antonia. Well, if he was going by any sort of forms or anything legal, it would say Antonia anyway. If he was just going by hearsay, which maybe he is, it would still be named 'Toni' instead of 'Tony'. Ive never met a female Tony or male Toni. But maybe someone just told him by mouth so he didnt know how it was spell and just assumed 'Tony' but I would go by the legal forms since its 100% accurate and yada yada if I was him. It just seems like Dylan was so focused and determined to do it he wouldnt just go by whatever whoever was saying when he wanted to figure out her class schedule and what not and do some investigating himself like he did with Anthony Marchette and have like actual papers and what not. Its sort of a long shot but whatever

Also, while Im thinking of it, with that episode that Kelly had where it was her bday and she took diet pills that was in the end of the year right, like April or May? I just saw one in s6 where it was her bday in like Sept or something. Probably mentioned before but just thought to do it in case lol.

Speaking of birthdays, someone mentioned upthread how Brandon never had a birthday. Im pretty sure Brenda/Brandon had birthdays in the summer, for some reason July comes to mind. That could be why they never celebrated it. I was watching either the first or second episode of s6, which would be around September or August, and Steve told Brandon to buy him some beer. Steve had a fake ID but Brandon I dont think ever did nor I dont think he would. Unless its a coincedence, I think thats what it was.

Edited on 01/08/2009 1:48am

Geminigirl24

[112]Jan 8, 2009

The whole b-day thing is rather confusing. But I'm pretty certain that, at least in the real world, schools generally put kids born in December in with the kids born the following year. In TV land they pretty much do whatever they want, like move people's b-days to different months or years! (Or turn a whole season into a dream! ) I may not be remembering correctly, but I don't think everyone was shown celebrating a b-day. Again, I may have just forgotten, or not seen the episode, but I don't remember seeing any of these characters celebrating a b-day: Brenda & Brandon, Andrea, David, Clare, Val or Dylan. I only remember b-days being celebrated for Kelly, Donna, Steve, and Scott Scanlon, of all people! Please correct me if I'm wrong! As for when Brenda & Brandon's b-day was, the only two references I remember were Kelly talking about emeralds being Brenda's birthstone, which would have put their b-day in May, and Iris saying Brenda was a Scorpio, which would've put their b-day in Oct or Nov. I guess the audience can just pick whichever b-day they prefer for them to have! (Personally I vote for May for two reasons: I thinks its cute to have a set of twins born under the sign of the twins, and it's the month I was born in! )

Now that you mention the Tony/Toni thing, I think you may be right. I seem to recall wondering the same thing, cuz I swear he said "Anthony" Marchette when he was talking to Brandon about it, and I think he would have been able to tell the difference between "Antonia" and "Anthony". It was probably another slopping writing job that we weren't supposed to catch!

stellarchick86

[113]Jan 8, 2009
    Geminigirl24 wrote:

The whole b-day thing is rather confusing. But I'm pretty certain that, at least in the real world, schools generally put kids born in December in with the kids born the following year. In TV land they pretty much do whatever they want, like move people's b-days to different months or years! (Or turn a whole season into a dream! ) I may not be remembering correctly, but I don't think everyone was shown celebrating a b-day. Again, I may have just forgotten, or not seen the episode, but I don't remember seeing any of these characters celebrating a b-day: Brenda & Brandon, Andrea, David, Clare, Val or Dylan. I only remember b-days being celebrated for Kelly, Donna, Steve, and Scott Scanlon, of all people! Please correct me if I'm wrong! As for when Brenda & Brandon's b-day was, the only two references I remember were Kelly talking about emeralds being Brenda's birthstone, which would have put their b-day in May, and Iris saying Brenda was a Scorpio, which would've put their b-day in Oct or Nov. I guess the audience can just pick whichever b-day they prefer for them to have! (Personally I vote for May for two reasons: I thinks its cute to have a set of twins born under the sign of the twins, and it's the month I was born in! )

Now that you mention the Tony/Toni thing, I think you may be right. I seem to recall wondering the same thing, cuz I swear he said "Anthony" Marchette when he was talking to Brandon about it, and I think he would have been able to tell the difference between "Antonia" and "Anthony". It was probably another slopping writing job that we weren't supposed to catch!

Oooh I forgot all about the Brenda birthstone/scorpio thing so maybe one of those is it. I dont know, maybe its in May then since usually in May they are trying to get the finales up so they dont really have time for birthday. Or maybe its because the writers have no idea what they are doing and just have birthdays whenever its fitting to the storyline. And I think they do it for Kelly alot because even though it is about B/B and they are the main characters, Kelly sort of took off and became popular as well so they think to do her birthday. Sort of like people say The OC became about Marissa Cooper even though Ryans the main character (even though I dont see it and they never mentioned her birthday). But yeah in the episode Dylans sitting there in class and the teacher says 'Toni Marchette' so we're expecting to see some guy and Rebececca Gayheart says 'here'. If her name was Toni, like Toni Braxton, I could understand it but since her name IS Antonia, he wouldve said 'Antonia Marchette' when calling roll. They just did that for dramatic purposes/to make it consistent. But I just see it as another oopsie which compared to some of the others around here its not alot lol.

stellarchick86

[114]Jan 16, 2009
    I found 2 more oopsies...

I was watching the episode where Colin got arrested and he had the high speed chase, and durin the 'chasing footage' the driver was wearing a red shirt. With Colin, he was wearing a light gray shirt. It just made me laugh.

During the Thanksgiving episode in s6, Brandon or someone mentions that both Colin and Susan are in NY for T-giving. With Colin it makes sense since thats where hes from and maybe he has family there. But why was Susan there? Her family lives in San Diego and her sister is dead..I never got the impression Susan has much family outside of that. Brandon couldve just said 'she decided to go visit her family for Thanksgiving' and the fans wouldve been fine with that answer. Its just weird lol.

snowprincess23

[115]Jan 17, 2009
    • level: 11
    one thing to add to the birthday discussion they did show valerie with a birthday party once. in season 8. its called aunt beas pickles. the one where valerie and kellys parents almost get married.

ilovee90210

[116]Jan 21, 2009
    In season 1 episode 'Perfect Mom', Donna's mom is played by a different actress and her mom's name was Nancy. Then it changed to Felice

stellarchick86

[117]Jan 29, 2009
    Pretty sure I found another oopsie yesterday when I was watching tv. I forget the name of the episode but it was the one in s7 when Brandon and Tom play hockey against eachother and they are sort of jealous of Kelly with the other. Brandon makes some comment about how hes not taking Valeries feelings into consideration or something and Tom goes 'Look, Ive known Valerie a lot longer and better than you..'. Well, if Valerie lived in Minnesota with Brandon/Brenda before she moved to NY, shed have known Brandon longer. She may know Tom BETTER since she probably lost touch with Brandon after the move, but not longer. Its like after s5 the writers forgot that Valerie wasnt just a new addition (like Claire, Tracy, etc) and there was more to her with her connection to the Walshes.

90210fan4life

[118]Feb 8, 2009
    • level: 9
    i dont know if any said this already, but in S2, the xmas episode, david's mother has a xmas dinner. in another episode, david is wearing a cross. later on in the series, david is jewish, and that became an issue with donna's mother and a bit in the beginning of s8 where david gets a racist band to sing at the PPAD

DepthofField25

[119]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 19
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    I found 2 more oopsies...

I was watching the episode where Colin got arrested and he had the high speed chase, and durin the 'chasing footage' the driver was wearing a red shirt. With Colin, he was wearing a light gray shirt. It just made me laugh.

Funny you should mention the high speed chase because I believe they took real footage of a chase that went down in LA during that time. Oh, LA car chases...they're so entertaining to watch when you put on the news.

As far as David being Jewish, his mother could be Christian and his father Jewish. It's not uncommon for the children of parents with different religions to identify with one more than the other.

stellarchick86

[120]Mar 8, 2009
    DepthofField25 wrote:
    Funny you should mention the high speed chase because I believe they took real footage of a chase that went down in LA during that time. Oh, LA car chases...they're so entertaining to watch when you put on the news.

Lol yeah I figured it was something like that because it looked like it was from a real thing it was just funny is all because it was SO fake for the show, ya know what I mean. I mean there's an episode of Seinfeld where Kramer's running from the cops and the footage is CLEARLY from the OJ chase, I figured it was something like that, but I just figured they couldve given Collin the same colored shirt or something or not do a closeup of the car or SOMETHING lol!