TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 2000)

Rank The Characters

sheerwill

[1]May 22, 2008
    • level: 8

Please rank the characters from your FAVORITE TO LEAST FAVORITE that were a part of the main cast during the show's 10 year run. If you haven't watched every season yet, you can just rank the characters you are familiar with. Here's my ranking as of this moment (it tends to fluctuate a lot, LOL):

1. Kelly
    2. Brandon
    3. Val
    4. Steve
    5. Brenda
    6. Clare
    7. David
    8. Donna
    9. Andrea
    10. Janet
    11. Noah
    12. Dylan
    13. Gina
    14. Matt

Dylan was the toughest to rank because he is one of my favorites in S1-2, but after that I didn't like him much, and he was the character I hated most in S9-10.

Note: I omitted Scott (David's bff in season one), Carly (Steve's gf in season eight), and Ray Pruit because they were only a part of the main cast for a very short amount of time.

Edited on 07/01/2008 9:41pm
    Edited 5 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

txgirl75

[2]May 22, 2008
    • level: 23
    1 Kelly
    2 Steve
    3 Brandon
    4 Val
    5 Clair
    6 Brenda
    7 Donna
    8 David
    9 Dylan
    10 Janet
    11 Andrea
    12 Noah
    13 Matt
    14 GIna

stellarchick86

[3]May 22, 2008
    • level: 32

Good idea, Sheerwill.

This is going to be tough but.

1. Brandon

2. Val

3. Dylan (not so much s9-10 though)

4. Donna

5. Brenda

6. David

7. Clare (Didnt like her much in s5 though)

8. Steve

9. Janet (she was sweet)

10. Kelly

11. Andrea

12. Matt (he was nice until the cheating)

13. Gina (ugh, such a b!tch)

14. Noah (boring and him and Donna lasted too long!)

Edited on 05/22/2008 5:11pm

wilezrules

[4]May 22, 2008
    • level: 9

1. Brandon -- Is there another choice? What guy wouldn't want to be Brandon? He gets any girl he wants, he's smart, destined for greatness, if not for his weakness for the vampiress known as Kelly Taylor, he'd be perfect.

2. Dylan -- Combined with Brandon, these 2 made the show, which is why they are both easy choices for Top 2 on my list. Pretty much all of the best storylines involved one or the other.

3. Valerie -- Deep complex character, and made me forget about Brenda in a hurry. The popular misconception is that she was Brenda's "replacement." Nothing could be further from the truth. While it started off that way, Valerie evolved into a very cool character, and after Dylan left in 1995, helped Brandon carry the show.

4. Steve -- Comedic Value alone. Steve never failed to disappoint, he always made me laugh, and I think of all of the characters, he evolved the most, and it was very cool to see. 90210 may have screwed up some big time storylines, but the evolution of Steve Sanders is one that they nailed right in the head.

5. Cindy -- Awesome mom character. I think if I had to lay the template for a tv mom, Cindy would be it. I'm a very big fan of her highly underrated work on this show.

6. Gina -- Essentially the replacement for Valerie when Val left in 1998. While didn't quite fill the big shoes Valerie left, she did quite well. Underrated character, that unfortunately got lost in the abyss known as the last 2 seasons.

7. Kelly -- A tale of 2 halves with Kelly. Kelly was the prototypical Beverly Hills snob early on, but evolved quite well, and was extremely interesting from 1990-1994. Then disaster struck, and after she was burned in the fire, became a self rightous holier than thou b|tch who for some reason had a stranglehold on Brandon and Dylans heart. All in all I'll rank her 7th. Near the middle, and give her a slight bump up for being there from beginning to end.

8. Nat -- I guess I had to put him somewhere. Can't say much bad about Nat. He was at his best when playing the father figure for Brandon, and to a lesser extent Dylan.

9. Donna -- All in all I give Donna a mild thumbs up for her work on this show. Highly annoying at times, but for the most part, a good character.

10. Scott -- The promising stud of West Beverly High

11. Ray -- Very cool complex character.

12. Clare -- Not only is she hot, but very funny. Couldn't not be a Clare fan in 1994-early 1996. However, during Season 7, she really became annoying, thus the drop in my rankings.

13. David -- I had to put him somewhere. I don't dislike David, I just like all the other characters a little better.

14. Jim -- Ok for a tv dad, overshadowed by Cindy and her greatness though.

15. Janet -- I may have Clare ranked higher, but Janet was the one for Steve. If you look at Steves evolution as a character, you can see why Janet was perfect for him. I have no idea if that was the plan, but it worked out perfectly IMO.

16. Andrea -- Like Kelly and Donna, Andrea had her moments of being extremely annoying, moreso than the other two. That said, she was a central part of some of my favorite episodes, most notablly her last episode as a main cast membe "Hello Life, Goodbye Beverly Hills"

17. Noah -- I actually liked Noah at first, then they started to do some stupid things with him, particularly in Season 10. Another character that would have been better served in the middle of the series, instead of getting muddled up in the end.

18. Carly -- Placed here because Hillary Swank is HOT!

19. Brenda -- UGH!

20. Matt -- Matt wasn't a bad character, it's just, he was supposed to be Brandon, and he failed miserablly.

21. Jesse -- Nothing remotely good about Jesse. Only cool thing he did was represent Brandon when Alex Diaz was trying to impeach him as President of CU.

Edited on 05/23/2008 7:16am

sheerwill

[5]May 23, 2008
    ^ I like that you did an expanded list with Jim, Cindy, etc. But you forgot to rank Noah (I'm guessing he won't be anywhere near the top, LOL).

wilezrules

[6]May 23, 2008
    fixed

REALSOBER

[7]May 23, 2008
    • level: 7

Brenda...She was the main character regardless of what people think of Shannon Daugherty she was the best character on the show

Brandon.. Just like Shannon was the Fem lead Jason was the Male and he was quite a lead .. roar

Kelly.. Love Jeanine if not for her BH would have folded early.

Dylan.... Love Luke those sexy eyebrows and then some ummmm

Gina ... I so love Vanessa Marcil that the only reason she ranks so high

David... I love knots landing and nerds

Valarie.... Love Save by the bell

Nat

Cindy

Janet

Jim

Donna... I hate Tori she got her job by genetics only.

Andre

Noah...Sexy

Ray

Matt... I cant say its the character I'd say ists the actor cause hes boring on GL

Edited on 05/26/2008 6:09am
    Edited 2 total times.

smithmyname

[8]May 25, 2008
    • level: 3

Great idea, by the way!

My list:

1. Brandon

2. Brenda

3. Dylan

4. Val

5. Steve

6. David

7. Donna

8. Janet

9. Gina

10. Noah

11. Kelly

12. Matt

13. Ahn-drea

Any other characters (Jim, Cindy, Nat) can be plugged in somewhere below Donna and above Janet. To this day, the only reason I can imagine having Ahn-drea on the show would be to make everyone else look better.

SistersP3

[9]May 25, 2008

1. Brenda

2. Dylan (only when he was with Brenda or Toni)

3. Steve

4. David

5. Donna

6. Janet

7. Val

8. Nat

9. Brandon

10. Gina (I've always liked the actress)

11. Andrea

12. Clare

13. Kelly

14. Matt

15. Noah

vicky24c

[10]May 30, 2008
    • level: 24
    1. Brenda !!

BrendaW90210

[11]May 31, 2008
    • level: 2

This is a hard thing to do because my answer changes so much! One thing that NEVER changes is Brenda is ALWAYS #1!! And Dylan is the hardest one for me to rank cause I too like him seasons 1-2 but from season 3 on he TOTALLY changes and I don't like him anymore.

degrassi_lover

[12]May 31, 2008
    • level: 21

Valerie Malone

Gina Kincaid(I don't care what anyone says I loved her, she was a true 90210 b*tch)

Clare Arnold

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of really any other character on 9210. In a way they all just turned me off in a way some how.

annie888

[13]Jun 3, 2008

1. Brenda

2. Steve

3. Noah

4. David

5. Kelly

6. Brandon

7. Donna

8. Andrea

9. Janet

10. Clare

11. Val

12. Dylan

13. Gina

14. Matt

wwwbebe432

[14]Jun 3, 2008
    • level: 11

1.Brenda

2.Val

3.David

4.Kelly

5.Brandon

6.Clare

7.Dylan

8.Gina

9.Steve

10.Donna

11.Andrea

12.Janet

13.matt

14.Noah

Edited on 06/03/2008 3:33pm

gernine

[15]Jun 4, 2008

1. Kelly

2. Dylan

3. Donna

4. Steve

5. Brandon

6. Brenda

7. Clare

8. David

9. Matt

10. Janet

11. Andrea

12. Val

13. Gina

14. Noah

[16]Jul 2, 2008
    (I only watched first 5 seasons)

1. Dylan
    2. Val
    3. Kelly
    4. Steve
    5. Claire
    6. Brandon
    7. David
    8. Donna
    9. Andrea
    10.Brenda

HeXxXeD

[17]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 17
    1. Val
    2. Brenda
    3. Gina
    4. Steve
    5. David
    6. Donna
    7. Andrea
    8. Janet
    9. Noah
    10. Matt
    11. Clare
    12. Brandon
    13. Dylan
    14. Kelly

LAWelk

[18]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 10

I have to agree with everyone who said that this was a difficult, yet great, concept. My list has definitely changed as I've gotten older.

1. Brenda: For me, she was the heart of the show. She was a complex character: popular, yet wanting something else, something meaningful. She was slightly annoying at first, a very typical teenager, but she felt the most true to me. Brenda and Dylan were my favorite couple, such great compliments to one another.

2. Valerie: Not only did Val have the fun task of being the true bad girl, but she, like Brenda, was a dynamic character. The two of them, Brenda and Valerie were constantly changing and evolving. You couldn't really hate or love them all the time. Plus, it was nice to see Tiffany Thiessen in a juicy role.

3. Brandon: I liked Brandon much more in the earlier seasons than the later. Brandon became, in many situations, smug Brandon: he became very condescending at times....kind of like Kelly's character.

4. Dylan: Like everyone else, I like Dylan before the return in seasons 9 and 10. He bugged me with his squint eyes and "cool, above it all attitude". Dylan was a deep, dynamic, sensitive complicated character, and when he returned, they took all that away. Too bad, as I liked Dylan.

5. Steve: Did anybody else notice how Ian Ziering's acting actually declined...actually most of the performances declined, in the later years. I liked Steve, but he never seemed to learn from his mistakes. I mean really, how pathetic was it that he kept screwing up, and saying he'd change, but didn't.

6. Kelly: Kelly is here for much the same reason that Steve is where he is. The character of Kelly was supposed to be a psych major, yet she was the worst at analyzing people...with the exception of Val, for which she received no credit whatsoever. She maintained her holier than thou attitude that continuously drove me crazy. But, season five, and part of four, I liked Kelly and Brandon.

7. Donna: I liked Donna more earlier on as well. By the time we arrived at season 8, Donna, and her whispering drove me insane. Um, can you speak up, Tori, the microphone isn't picking up your whispers. By season 10, I could tolerate Donna much more. She and David were so cute together in high school.

8. David: I like David..probably the most consistently acted role of all. I think Brian Green is a great actor, who was underrated for much of the run on 90210; but, around season eight, he had this constant guffaw before every line, which was bizarre. But, really, David was another well written character.

9. Gina: I have and always will be a HUGE fan of Vanessa Marcill. I think she often got the raw end of the deal: she was supposed to replace Val as the bad girl, but they didn't write her role as well or with the same thought that they wrote Val's. Too bad, as she is not only gorgeous, but one heck of an actress.

10. Andrea: I don't know where I want to put Andrea. I thought she was a good character, yet she was a real snot sometimes to Brenda, and I hated the whole pregnancy story line. Her character slid down quickly for me.

11. Cindy Walsh: Everyone's favorite mom. I loved Cindy with her mom jeans. She was so sweet and realistic. Plus, she made Jim look good.

12. Jim Walsh: I liked Jim, he was a very stereotypical pops, overly protective of the daughter, but not so much with the son. Sometimes I wanted to smack Jim though, like the season 2 finale with Brenda and Dylan.

13. Janet: I liked Janet at first, but she could be annoying at times. I did like she and Steve as a couple. She was the dominant of the two of them, Steve and Janet, yet managed to understand Steve like nobody else could.

14. Claire: Claire always had something that annoyed me. She complained a lot, and what was up with the wardrobe? Did she get everyone's leftovers? Plus, she was a pretty girl, yet something was always off about her.

15. Carly: I put her so far down on the list, as I think leaving 90210 was the BEST thing that happened to Hillary Swank...hello "Boys Don't Cry" and 2 Oscars on the mantel! Phenomenal actress, poorly conceived part.

16. Matt; I feel for Daniel Cosgrove, who is also a good actor, with a poorly written part. He was supposed to be like Brandon, but they didn't flesh out his character well.

17. Ray: I liked Ray at first, but he soon grew annoying

18. Jesse: Not very interesting.

19. Noah: Only because he is in the cast for more than one season, am I even putting him on the list. I HATED this character, and the actor who played him. Smirk and speak, that's how I describe his acting "talent" and a Dylan wannabe, was the character. He failed miserably at both!

sheerwill

[19]Jul 2, 2008

HeXxXeD wrote:
    12. Brandon 13. Dylan 14. Kelly

Wow, 3 of the originals are right at the bottom of your list! Lower than Matt and Noah! I didn't know you hated them that much, lol.

sheerwill

[20]Jul 2, 2008
    LAWelk wrote:

But, season five, and part of four, I liked Kelly and Brandon.

I know you dislike Season 8 in general, but what about K/B in Season 7? They had a lot of cute moments in the second half of that season. I loved their reunion! One of my favorite scenes of the whole show.