Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 0000)

Who else hates the writers for ruining Kelly/Brandon

gwen13579

[1]Dec 26, 2007
    • level: 8

4 years invested into that relationship. The romance that was the best one after Dylan/Brenda had ended.

Brandon and Kelly were meant to be together. The writers shouldn't have had her miscarry, they should've got married as planned, and that's how the show should've ended.

I can never ever watch the Season 8 finale. What a joke. They take us all for granted. They take the BK relationship for granted. THEN after Brandon says they felt more like brother and sister once they got closer to being husband and wife... they have sex. And Kelly wants the day back.

I know Jason wanted to leave, but why decide to wreck the best thing to happen to the show in ages? The only thing that made me keep watching??

I never ever watch Seasons 9-10. Ever. Luke Perry returns... like I care. Dylan gets back with Kelly... predictable. Brandon's not around, of course they'd put her back with him. Even after she officially chose Brandon in The Long Goodbye.

As a fan of the show, anda BK shipper, I felt totally cheated.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

odyssey52

[2]Dec 26, 2007
    • level: 5
    I totally agree with you.

wilezrules

[3]Dec 26, 2007
    • level: 9
    While I don't like the Brandon-Kelly relationship at all, I do agree the writers botched it many times. You could have married them, and end the series right then and there and all would be good. Then maybe a tv-movie, which almost always draw criticism, but they could have done it, with a David-Donna marriage plot. I don't know, I lost interest in season 8, and caught the beginning of 9, and Luke's return, but saw maybe 2 episodes after that. It wasn't until the show was on FX that I saw any of the 10th season.

txgirl75

[4]Dec 26, 2007
    • level: 23
    After season watching season 9 and 10 I thought eww they should just have ended with Kel and Brandon getting married. JP was ready to move on but the rest of the cast wasn't.

sheerwill

[5]Dec 26, 2007

The problem was Jason wanted to leave the show, while Fox and Spelling wanted to keep it going. That's the only reason why they had the wedding storyline. Otherwise, if Jason stayed, they probably would have saved that for the series finale instead of David/Donna. I think a Brandon/Kelly wedding would have gotten better ratings than David/Donna, considering they're the main characters.

The whole non-wedding was obviously contrived, so that Jason could leave the show. There really wasn't anything else they could have done. From the end of season 4 thru the end of season 8, Brandon and Kelly were always portrayed as being meant for each other. There were even hints of that from the first few seasons. So anything they did to break them up was going to feel contrived. There was no way around that. I think the whole Brandon cheating on Kelly storyline was also in anticipation for Jason leaving b/c it was out of character for Brandon. Even though Kelly forgave him, that remained a source of tension between the two, taking the "passion" out of their relationship, even though they still loved each other. That's what Brandon meant by the whole "brother and sister" comment....lack of passion. It wasn't realistic though b/c it can take a long long time for a relationship to recover from infidelity and for the couple to regain the passion they had before. Strangely, Brandon and Kelly were trying to get married just 3 months after the affair, so obviously there's going to be problems. And, of course, Brandon didn't give any good reasons for wanting to end his relationship with Kelly and move on with his life, rather than working things out. Especially when you consider how desparate he was to win her back after she found out he cheated. But again, it was very contrived.....Jason wanted to leave the show so they had to break them up.

I think most viewers would agree that the show should have been stopped after season 7 or 8....with a few modifications for a happy ending of course. The reason it kept going was b/c Fox and Spelling thought they could keep making money, even without Jason. They didn't want the show to collapse, so that's why they were so desparate for Luke to come back. But even with his return, the show declined in ratings and was eventually cancelled. We could always ignore the last 2-3 seasons of the show and get the happy ending we want. After all, these are fictional characters, so there's no harm in doing that!

Edited on 12/26/2007 11:44pm
    Edited 4 total times.

gwen13579

[6]Dec 27, 2007
    To have them get engaged like two episodes before the season finale and then have them change their minds a minute before the ceremony was just downright offensive and taking the fans for granted. A lot of effort was put into this relationship throughout the latter half of the show, and it was hinted at in the earlier seasons that BK would eventually happen. There was no need for what they did to Brandon/Kelly in the wedding episode, just because Jason was leaving. Why not have Kelly leave with him? Or not have them decide to get married so soon but instead have them get engaged and have Brandon promise Kelly he will come back for her in the episode he leaves?? There were other options other than the one they went with.

And I can say the same for the show's finale. Having her end up with Dylan just because Brandon wasn't there in person?? What a copout. She'd already said in Season 7 that she only felt friendly towards Dylan now and that Brandon was who she'd finally chosen. Taking all that back just because Jason left and Luke came back was insulting. They should've had Kelly go after Brandon in the end, and Dylan could've been free to pursue whoever else - Brenda, if they could've found a way to work round that one. Instead of having Dylan and Kelly just end up together by default.

sheerwill

[7]Dec 27, 2007
    As a B/K fan, I agree with you. They should have had them stay together even if Jason was leaving the show. It would have been more realistic that way too, considering everything the two of them had gone thru together. But as a more pragmatic viewer, I realize that this is a soap opera, and they couldn't do that. They had to break them up and put Kelly in a new relationship. It sucks, but that's the way television works I guess. That's why I still say we should just assume the last 2-3 seasons of the show were never made. We can get our happy ending then.

gwen13579

[8]Dec 27, 2007
    That's just it though. They didn't put her in a new relationship (well, except for that Matt guy, who I never liked anyway). They put her back with Dylan. After everything she went through with Brandon, and choosing him in the scene where she shows him their ring, they go and put her back with Dylan. That's another reason why the writers officially suck. No continuity whatsoever. Brandon has only just left, and a few episodes later, Dylan's back, and Kelly's making eyes at him like Brandon never even existed.

Total copout.

sheerwill

[9]Dec 27, 2007

Yeah I thought that was lame too. I guess Kelly figured that if she couldn't be with her love #1 (Brandon), she may as well be with her love #2 (Dylan). That's the best explanation I can come up with. Matt never really had a chance anyways. It's annoying that Brandon didn't come back at the end for Kelly. It would have made things interesting. She could have reunited with Brandon. Dylan could have rode off into the sunset on his bike, which is what Luke wanted anyways. Then everyone could have assumed he went back to Brenda. That would have been a great ending. Too bad Jason couldn't show up in person.

BTW, Jennie Garth predicts that Kelly would have ultimately ended up with Brandon after the finale. I wish they did a special episode so that we could actually see that.

Edited on 12/27/2007 4:20pm
    Edited 2 total times.

gwen13579

[10]Dec 28, 2007
    I totally agree with what you say about Brandon/Kelly and Dylan riding off on his bike. The fact that the finale is Dylan/Kelly just doesn't sit right with me. It just seemed totally wrong and inconsiderate of what Brandon and Kelly had.

And what you said about Jennie, that's the only thing that's ever made me feel slightly better about the whole thing. The fact that the actress herself knows Kelly would be back with Brandon now says it all - her and Dylan weren't meant to be together. All they ever did was fight. And have sex and fight a bit more. And sneak around behind Brenda's back. And then... fight. And this is so-called true love???

They should do a reunion to fix all this. Bring Brandon back. Have him and Kelly still be in love with each other. Have Dylan step aside and let them get back together.

mcdreamygal24

[11]Jan 1, 2008
    • level: 13
    I right there with you. I was always so unhappy with the way it worked out. Kelly and Brandon were so much better than her and Dylan. It upsets me everytime I think about it. But I will forever ship BK.

Semmaluver

[12]Jan 3, 2008

I never knew anyone else felt this way! I totally agree w/everything said up there! I was extremely late to the show but when I found out that Brandon leaves and they dont get married it upset me! To me the show ends when they dont get married but in my head they do! It does suck that the writers always hinted @ it from season 1 and to just let them end up like that....I mean evenJennie thinks that they should've ended the show with Brandon and Kelly because they were the show!

StarLite07

[13]Jan 7, 2008
    • level: 3
    I never understood why they didn't have them get married. I guess because Dylan wouldn't have anyone then. I do think it was the right move for Brandon to leave L.A. to go work for some other paper though.

sheerwill

[14]Jan 7, 2008

StarLite07 wrote:
    I never understood why they didn't have them get married. I guess because Dylan wouldn't have anyone then. I do think it was the right move for Brandon to leave L.A. to go work for some other paper though.

They didn't marry b/c Jason wanted to leave the show. They probably wouldn't even have done the wedding storyline if he was going to stay. Instead, they decided to do a non-wedding followed by a B/K breakup so that Jason could leave. Obviously it sucks. It doesn't have anything to do with Dylan though. They would've done a B/K breakup regardless of whether Dylan came back or not b/c it doesn't make sense for a B/K relationship to continue if Brandon isn't on the show anymore. Most people want Dylan with Brenda anyways. I don't agree with you that it was the right move for Brandon to leave LA. I think the right thing would've been for Jason to stay on the show and Brandon to stay in LA, so that we would have a B/K ending.

Edited on 01/07/2008 4:14pm

cathykdawg

[15]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 1
    Hoping you can help me out
    Do you recall the name of the episode where Kelly in trying to choose between Brandon and Dylan - she says
    "I choose me"

sheerwill

[16]Jan 8, 2008
    ^ The episode is "Hello life, goodbye Beverly Hills." It's in Season 5. If by chance, you get a hold of the episode, could you upload it on Youtube? It would be great if you could.

gwen13579

[17]Jan 8, 2008
    There is a small clip of that scene on YouTube. It's called 'Kelly makes her decision of Dylan OR Brandon'

LAWelk

[18]Jan 11, 2008
    • level: 10

I am so very pleased to know that other people out there were as enraged as I. I loved Kelly with Brandon. I loved most of season 5, because I thought these two were really great together. Many people believe that fans of Dylan and Brenda, which I am, just want Kelly with Brandon so she's not with Dylan; nothing is further from the truth. I loved Kelly with Brandon because they fit so well together. I thought they were so cute at the Spring Dance, and the writers hinted many, many times during those first few seasons about a relationship between them.

I too cannot stomach parts of season 8, especially because of the whole Brandon cheating on Kelly storyline. Emma Bennet? Seriously?! Seriously?! The writers ruined one of the sweetest romances.

gwen13579

[19]Jan 11, 2008
    LAWelk wrote:

I am so very pleased to know that other people out there were as enraged as I. I loved Kelly with Brandon. I loved most of season 5, because I thought these two were really great together. Many people believe that fans of Dylan and Brenda, which I am, just want Kelly with Brandon so she's not with Dylan; nothing is further from the truth. I loved Kelly with Brandon because they fit so well together. I thought they were so cute at the Spring Dance, and the writers hinted many, many times during those first few seasons about a relationship between them.

I too cannot stomach parts of season 8, especially because of the whole Brandon cheating on Kelly storyline. Emma Bennet? Seriously?! Seriously?! The writers ruined one of the sweetest romances.

I totally agree with you, the points you made were exactly my points.

*I NEVER shipped Brandon/Kelly for the sake of wanting Kelly with anyone but Dylan because of the Dylan/Brenda romance. I shipped Brandon & Kelly since the first season, like you. There was major flirtation going on and it was obvious where the writers would eventually go with their relationship. Darren Star says on the dvd commentary that they'd planned BK since the beginning, but they wanted to wait until Kelly had changed asa person. I was shocked they waited so long, to be honest. But I was thrilled when it finally happened. The chemistry was spot-on. They were hot together at the Spring Dance & I was shocked they had Brandon kiss her like that, then have him reject her the way he did. Even though I sort of understood his reasoning behind it.

*Seasons 4 & 5 & the last part of 7 are my favorites. TOTAL B/K sweetness, and the writers clearly respected their relationship at these points. I also noticed the best writing staff wrote the BK & DB romances, as in many of the original writers, which I think speaks volumes of how highly they thought of these relationships. I was kind of upset at some points though - when they have Kelly constantly conflicted over her feelings for Brandon & Dylan; & when they have her miscarry & being told she might not be able to conceive again. I thought that was unnecessary - Brandon & Kelly would've made great parents. Great married parents.

*Which brings me to the disaster that was Season 8. The only explanation I can give is that clearly Jason Priestley expressed his wishes to leave the show at this point, & the producers had already planned to go on with the show another two years, & wanted Jennie Garth to stay, & so they thought of the harshest, most contrived ways to split Brandon & Kelly up, which would allow for the Dylan/Kelly end union. It's painful beyond words, & I never watch beyond where Kelly's amnesia after being shot goes away & she remembers Brandon, because it all goes downhill from that point. It's just terrible that the writers not only have Brandon cheat on Kelly with some stranger because life was too "perfect" for them, but also have him tell Kelly he doesn't want to marry her on their wedding day. This goes down as the most awful 90210 episode for me personally, I can just never ever bring myself to watch it, knowing what is coming.

90210 for me more or less ends at Season 7. They bring Kelly & Brandon back together with that beautiful story about the ring, then they tear them apart. It's terrible. In the perfect version of 90210, Kelly & Brandon would've got married, had the baby, & had a double wedding with Dylan & Brenda.

stevierae5

[20]Jan 11, 2008
    • level: 7

I am a huge Brenda and Dylan fan, as well as Brandon/Kelly, and, like others, it has nothing to do with just wanting to keep Kelly away from Dylan.

My problem with Kelly, though--I really can't stand her character 85% of the time, although I did like the B/K combination--is that she always is mooning after Dylan or Brandon. If she's with one, she's obviously bothered by the fact that the other isn't hung up on her, and sometimes she's with someone else entirely and gets upset that they're not chasing after her. My proof for this opinion is obvious in episodes such as the one toward the beginning of the fifth season, when Dylan gets back from Mexico after getting ripped off by Suzanne and Kevin. When Dylan has the encounter with Brandon and Kelly at the hotel (the one where Donna's a freaky debutante robot), Kelly goes to Dylan's house alone in the middle of the night to talk, and is offended when he's with another woman. (Even sends Brandon over to chastise Dylan for treating her disrespectfully...) In the sixth season, she's offended that Dylan would announce his engagement to Toni without "considering her feelings." (Never mind that she's supposedly madly in love with coke fiend Colin.) When Brandon is seemingly happy with Tracy, Kelly can't stop pining away for him. Then, as others have pointed out, the exhaust fumes from Brandon's Mustang are practically still wafting through the air when Dylan comes back and Kelly's mooning over him. Throughout her whole "relationship" with Matt (who annoys me, too), she's always checking out what Dylan's doing. Even Gina asks Kelly to give it a rest!

Ugh, she irritates me. She's just like Brooke on "The Bold and the Beautiful"...if every guy around isn't sniffing after her, she's annoyed.