Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 0000)

Who else hates the writers for ruining Kelly/Brandon

Semmaluver

[21]Jan 11, 2008
    • level: 8
    stevierae5 wrote:

I am a huge Brenda and Dylan fan, as well as Brandon/Kelly, and, like others, it has nothing to do with just wanting to keep Kelly away from Dylan.

My problem with Kelly, though--I really can't stand her character 85% of the time, although I did like the B/K combination--is that she always is mooning after Dylan or Brandon. If she's with one, she's obviously bothered by the fact that the other isn't hung up on her, and sometimes she's with someone else entirely and gets upset that they're not chasing after her. My proof for this opinion is obvious in episodes such as the one toward the beginning of the fifth season, when Dylan gets back from Mexico after getting ripped off by Suzanne and Kevin. When Dylan has the encounter with Brandon and Kelly at the hotel (the one where Donna's a freaky debutante robot), Kelly goes to Dylan's house alone in the middle of the night to talk, and is offended when he's with another woman. (Even sends Brandon over to chastise Dylan for treating her disrespectfully...) In the sixth season, she's offended that Dylan would announce his engagement to Toni without "considering her feelings." (Never mind that she's supposedly madly in love with coke fiend Colin.) When Brandon is seemingly happy with Tracy, Kelly can't stop pining away for him. Then, as others have pointed out, the exhaust fumes from Brandon's Mustang are practically still wafting through the air when Dylan comes back and Kelly's mooning over him. Throughout her whole "relationship" with Matt (who annoys me, too), she's always checking out what Dylan's doing. Even Gina asks Kelly to give it a rest!

Ugh, she irritates me. She's just like Brooke on "The Bold and the Beautiful"...if every guy around isn't sniffing after her, she's annoyed.

what a great point I had never seen it like that! Kelly did always pine over one or the other! (btw I know that other people might have seen this and might think i'm slow but I havent seen all the episodes so how would I know)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gwen13579

[22]Jan 11, 2008
    I totally agree with the obvious viewpoint that Kelly was too damn conflicted between the two guys, and it really irritated me too.

But somehow, I just always knew she was meant to be with Brandon. Ever since the first season.

Semmaluver

[23]Jan 12, 2008
    yeah I know what you mean! I started watching during season 3 and they had these cute little moments together and I was like do they date in real life?

gwen13579

[24]Jan 12, 2008
    Totally! Jason would always have these cute moments with Jennie where he'd give her all these sweet kisses from time to time and I was thinking, there's definitely something going on between them in real-life! When I found out they were just great friends, I figured that it was because Jason and Jennie had known each other longer than everyone else, and so felt more comfortable doing stuff like that in scenes together. I think it's really sweet, the chemistry really showed in their scenes together since the beginning.

Semmaluver

[25]Jan 12, 2008
    yeah I was bummed to find out that I was wrong and that he was dating the girl that played Emily in real life they made an ugly couple to me!

gwen13579

[26]Jan 13, 2008
    ew.. Emily.. ew.. Brandon & Emily.. together.. after her psycho ways in S2..

Seriously, I really hated her and them together. I never got the hype about them in S4, I thought it was totally contrived that he'd fall in love with her after a few hours, then I hated when they brought her back in S5 to bring conflict between him and Kelly.

Semmaluver

[27]Jan 14, 2008
    yeah I was like what was the point in that? they even asked Brandon (during the season3 season finale graduation episode) who out of all the girls was the nearest and dearest of all he thought of the girl from the skating rink!

gwen13579

[28]Jan 15, 2008
    ^ HAHAHAHA exactly. brandon once told emily 'to make love i have to be in love'. the writers in season 4 tried to make us believe that brandon has once been in love with emily. they re-wrote history. jackasses

Semmaluver

[29]Jan 15, 2008
    I know! Thankfully that got some common sense back and paired Kelly and Brandon!!

gwen13579

[30]Jan 16, 2008
    I think the only times the writers weren't high on drugs whilst writing the scripts for this show were when they had Dylan and Brenda together, and Brandon and Kelly together.

Semmaluver

[31]Jan 17, 2008
    100% AGREED!

alfredfan

[32]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 2
    100% agreed

smithmyname

[33]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 3
    I was never a Kelly fan. To me, she has many of the same awful traits that AHN-drea has, only is easier to look at. She's judgmental and intolerant of others' viewpoints or opinions. Half the fights her and Brandon had were about her seeing things a certain way and getting upset at Brandon for not seeing things the exact same way. I actually liked their separation. Brandon heads off for greener pastures while Kelly hooks up with Brandon-lite, the also unwatchable and irretrievably boring Matt Durning. At least there was some consistency there in replacing cast members with clones...(bye val, hello gina...bye brandon, hello matt!)

LAWelk

[34]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 10

smithmyname wrote:
    I was never a Kelly fan. To me, she has many of the same awful traits that AHN-drea has, only is easier to look at. She's judgmental and intolerant of others' viewpoints or opinions. Half the fights her and Brandon had were about her seeing things a certain way and getting upset at Brandon for not seeing things the exact same way. I actually liked their separation. Brandon heads off for greener pastures while Kelly hooks up with Brandon-lite, the also unwatchable and irretrievably boring Matt Durning. At least there was some consistency there in replacing cast members with clones...(bye val, hello gina...bye brandon, hello matt!)

Wow! smithmyname, you are brilliant. The AHN-drea, Kelly connection is one that I never really thought about, but you are dead on. Thinking back, AHN-drea was always fighing with Brandon over things on which they didn't agree, especially in the first season when she had the huge crush on him.

I am going to watch closely now and look for just these similarities. Thank you, this will add a new dimention to the show.

Geminigirl24

[35]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 5

While I am a BK fan, I admit I have to agree with some of smithmyname's comments about Kelly. Each time I watch the episodes again, I see things I didn't notice before. Kelly could be rather judgemental and self-righteous sometimes. Which, ironically, didn't she accuse Brenda of having those traits? In her defense, though, sometimes she was right. She pegged that blonde girl Steve briefly dated in H.S. (forgot her name) as a gold-digger, and she was right. And she was the only one to sense that Valerie was trouble from the beginning, which most everyone (fans and characters) chalk up to jealousy, but she was absolutely right about that too. In spite of her intermittent whininess, I still think she and Brandon were definitely meant to be together. And let's not forget, Brandon did his fair share of whining too, especially during the first few seasons! After reading many of the postings on this forum about the last 2 seasons, I think I'm really glad I haven't seen all them! This way, in my mind, the show ended with BK together, and I don't have any images of KD2 stuck in my head to interfere with that dream!

stellarchick86

[36]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 32
    Andrea definelty had some moments of self-righteousness but Id take her over Kelly anyday because Kelly was ALWAYS like that, Andrea just had moments of it.

sheerwill

[37]Mar 14, 2008
    Geminigirl24 wrote:

While I am a BK fan, I admit I have to agree with some of smithmyname's comments about Kelly. Each time I watch the episodes again, I see things I didn't notice before. Kelly could be rather judgemental and self-righteous sometimes. Which, ironically, didn't she accuse Brenda of having those traits? In her defense, though, sometimes she was right. She pegged that blonde girl Steve briefly dated in H.S. (forgot her name) as a gold-digger, and she was right. And she was the only one to sense that Valerie was trouble from the beginning, which most everyone (fans and characters) chalk up to jealousy, but she was absolutely right about that too. In spite of her intermittent whininess, I still think she and Brandon were definitely meant to be together. And let's not forget, Brandon did his fair share of whining too, especially during the first few seasons! After reading many of the postings on this forum about the last 2 seasons, I think I'm really glad I haven't seen all them! This way, in my mind, the show ended with BK together, and I don't have any images of KD2 stuck in my head to interfere with that dream!

I agree completely. Kelly may have had her bad moments, but she became a better person with Brandon. Kelly and Brandon were definitely meant to be. And she correctly judged Val (just as she did Suzanne and Kevin). I don't think she was jealous of Val. Kelly just saw Val for the evil and deceitful person she was, which no one else realized until much later. And yeah, I wouldn't recommend Seasons 9-10 to anyone, LOL. There's no need to watch them. No one wants to see Dylan pathetically pining over Kelly anyways. It really is puke inducing. Dylan's character was supposed to be cool and modeled after James Dean, but instead he acts like a complete loser during the last 2 seasons.

I never noticed any similarities between Kelly and AHN-drea (the pronunciation is hilarious, LOL). The arguments between Brandon and Kelly were different than those between Brandon and Andrea. Brandon and Kelly had arguments that most couples have. Many times it was about things that affected both of them (like Erica and the baby adoption). Brandon and Andrea's arguments were more like the ones between friends, and often it was because they were competing with each other about something. I'll have to carefully watch those seasons again though to see if I missed something. But I definitely prefer Kelly over Andrea. I couldn't imagine 90210 without Kelly. AHN-drea got on my nerves a lot. She looked much older than everyone else and I never thought of her character as being that important.

Edited on 03/14/2008 10:56pm

wilezrules

[38]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 9
    I disagree that Kelly saw Val for what she was. Kelly created a lot of that, and most of the time, needed to mind her own business, and let Val be Val. Kelly is easily the most selfish character and its not even close. I loved when David and Val first started dating in Season 6, and David basically told Kelly to shove it. That was glorious. Did Val do things wrong, yeah she did, but Kelly was equally bad in a more subtle way. Bottom line, Val would be a much more loyal girlfriend than Kelly. Kelly, you can't trust, cuz one minute she loves you, the next minute she's dating some geek from the Keg House (thats a great Dylan quote from Season 4), or one minute she loves you, the next minute she's in love with your best friend, and then the next minute dumps both of you. Awful human being.

stellarchick86

[39]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 32
    wilezrules wrote:
    I disagree that Kelly saw Val for what she was. Kelly created a lot of that, and most of the time, needed to mind her own business, and let Val be Val. Kelly is easily the most selfish character and its not even close. I loved when David and Val first started dating in Season 6, and David basically told Kelly to shove it. That was glorious. Did Val do things wrong, yeah she did, but Kelly was equally bad in a more subtle way. Bottom line, Val would be a much more loyal girlfriend than Kelly. Kelly, you can't trust, cuz one minute she loves you, the next minute she's dating some geek from the Keg House (thats a great Dylan quote from Season 4), or one minute she loves you, the next minute she's in love with your best friend, and then the next minute dumps both of you. Awful human being.

And then loves you one minute, and then dumps you for your boyfriend. I still think what she did with Dylan to Brenda is horrible. Not so much the first time even but then once she saw that this bothered Brenda she shouldve notve tried to keep going with it and just end it. And just everything else she does. I always thought Kelly was the most selfish one on the cast...Andrea doesnt even hold a candle to her.

wilezrules

[40]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 9
    as far as Brenda-Dylan.. Dylan is more to "blame" in that one. He had to choose Kelly. After they shared there moment, Dylan was OBVIOUSLY gonna go for Kelly. Brenda had become a major liability on his life, it was time to move on. They were a good high school relationship, but there is nothing within that relationship that says "wow, they should be with each other forever" the truth is, Brenda-Dylan wasn't that great. I'm in the minority, because for whatever reason, there are a LOT of Brenda fans out there (I'll never understand why, Shannen is a pretty bad actor, and most of her storylines were beyond awful and very cheesy). I just think the Walsh twins should have found love elsewhere. There certainly isn't a rule set in stone that you have to fall in love with someone else from the main cast.