Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 0000)

Who else hates the writers for ruining Kelly/Brandon

gwen13579

[41]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 8
    Dylan chose Kelly because he loved Brenda too much, not because they were soulmates. He said the intensity of their relationship was what was their downfall.

So you know what that sounds like? It sounds like Kelly was the easier option for him. He didn't really love her, and he enjoyed the fun aspect of their relationship, such as when they were on the jet-ski, or swimming together.

Ultimately he went to find Brenda in London post-Toni because she was the other great love of his life. Kelly was never said to be that.

"There certainly isn't a rule set in stone that you have to fall in love with someone else from the main cast."

No there isn't. But Luke and Jennie never had better chemistry in scenes with anyone than with Shannen and Jason. You could just tell how comfortable they were with playing the romances. Luke and Jennie together never had that same appeal.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[42]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 32
    Im not 100% D/B (sorry everyone) but I love them more than D/K. D/K just seems like pure lust to me, and that all came out in Senior Poll. And I just find it annoying that one second it was "oh we were in kindergarden together we grew up together we played on the playground together" and then the next second its like they knew eachother at WBHS but never really talked until the gang became the 8-member gang you see now. Its like which one is it? lol. I hate when writers do that to make it sound like their more "soulmates" then they are. I know that Kelly probably understands what Dylans gone through/going through more than Brenda because of their home life/parents but that doesnt mean they ARE soulmates. I mean in that episode when he looks into the future to see what it would be like with each girl, him and Brenda have like 10 kids but theres still a love there, when he looks with Kelly she just has a love for his credit card. So he even knows himself that it just isnt a long term thing, the writers just tried to make it that way once Brandon left.

wilezrules

[43]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 9
    Actually the soulmate thing was explained quite clearly, because Dylan believed it, it was because he felt in his heart that Kelly saved his life, the day his dad "was killed" because Kelly called Dylan, Dylan didn't get in the car with the bomb in it. I agree, though, that the soulmates thing doesnt go much more beyond that, however, it is illustrated much better in Seasons 9 and 10 (unpopular as they may be). And I still say, to even suggeset that Dylan-Brenda was even in the same ballpark as Kelly-Brandon, does a major dis-service to Brandon-Kelly. Brenda wasn't even apart of the show for half of it, and therefore pretty much irrelevant. And oh by the way, what was the first thing on Dylans mind when he returned in Season 9? He came home to be with Kelly. So you can't say that he went off looking for Brenda, and never did so for Kelly. Bottom line is that fool Dylan was in love with 2 broads that were completely not right for him, but was blinded by stupidity anyway (much like Brandons obsession with Kelly, even though she was not right for him at all because she wasnt supportive of anything he did). Obviously Brenda and Dylan had a falling out between the end of season 6 and season 9 (not surprising considering Brenda is an idiot). It's status quo for Dylan, problems with Brenda, run to Kelly, problems with Kelly, run to Brenda. Kelly is with Brandon and isn't ready to cheat on him on that day, no problem bring in Valerie for a good romp. Exit Brandon, insert Matt, same thing... bring in Gina for sheet hittin'. It's a constant cycle. Unfortunately for Dylan, the one time he did find real love, the chicks dad wanted to kill him, but whoops, kills her instead.

HeXxXeD

[44]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 17

wilezrules wrote:
    He came home to be with Kelly. So you can't say that he went off looking for Brenda, and never did so for Kelly.

But after what happened with Toni's death he went to Brenda first NOT Kelly. Brenda was the first person to ever understand him NOT Kelly (the only thing she understood was under the sheet activities when it came to Dylan) second WAS Toni but then the angel fell off her pedestal and died. Dylan only goes to Kelly after or whenever Brenda either:

1 Pisses him off i.e. season 3 (used Kelly for rebound after the break up) or...

2 If Brenda is not around (i.e. Season 3 summer time of 92) and when he couldn't have her in season 5 he went to Val because Kelly was with Brandon.

Edited on 03/18/2008 11:01pm
    Edited 2 total times.

stellarchick86

[45]Mar 19, 2008
    wilezrules wrote:
    Actually the soulmate thing was explained quite clearly, because Dylan believed it, it was because he felt in his heart that Kelly saved his life, the day his dad "was killed" because Kelly called Dylan, Dylan didn't get in the car with the bomb in it. I agree, though, that the soulmates thing doesnt go much more beyond that, however, it is illustrated much better in Seasons 9 and 10 (unpopular as they may be). And I still say, to even suggeset that Dylan-Brenda was even in the same ballpark as Kelly-Brandon, does a major dis-service to Brandon-Kelly. Brenda wasn't even apart of the show for half of it, and therefore pretty much irrelevant. And oh by the way, what was the first thing on Dylans mind when he returned in Season 9? He came home to be with Kelly. So you can't say that he went off looking for Brenda, and never did so for Kelly. Bottom line is that fool Dylan was in love with 2 broads that were completely not right for him, but was blinded by stupidity anyway (much like Brandons obsession with Kelly, even though she was not right for him at all because she wasnt supportive of anything he did). Obviously Brenda and Dylan had a falling out between the end of season 6 and season 9 (not surprising considering Brenda is an idiot). It's status quo for Dylan, problems with Brenda, run to Kelly, problems with Kelly, run to Brenda. Kelly is with Brandon and isn't ready to cheat on him on that day, no problem bring in Valerie for a good romp. Exit Brandon, insert Matt, same thing... bring in Gina for sheet hittin'. It's a constant cycle. Unfortunately for Dylan, the one time he did find real love, the chicks dad wanted to kill him, but whoops, kills her instead.

I agree with the Kelly/Dylan/Jack Mckaeys death thing and how he feels that she was his soulmate for calling him at that time. But I was just making a point that the writers make it sound like at one time they go WAY back (kindergarden) and talked all the time and whatever, and then the next second they never really knew eachother. I dont know..I dont really know where I was going with that lol but I wasnt refering really to the death thing.

wilezrules

[46]Mar 19, 2008
    After Toni's death, he didn't run directly to Brenda. He ran out of town. No one knows where he went. It wasn't until the end of that season until we found out that they may have crossed paths in London. We don't know he went directly to Brenda ( i highly doubt he did considering that was such an emotional thing) He didn't run to Kelly, because Kelly wasn't going to be anywhere but Beverly Hills, California, and at the time, Dylan couldn't be there. Not to mention he knew she was with Collin at the time, and knew that she wasn't gonna choose him if Brandon was still around anyway. He needed to leave California. And as for running from one to the other... lets not forget the only reason he ran to Brenda in Season 4 was why? Because him and Kelly broke up. Thats what Dylan does, he runs from one girl to the next. And if neither of them are available, he finds himself a nice little side dish, (both of which in all reality were much better for him, but he's an idiot too when it comes to the Brenda and Kelly).

sheerwill

[47]Mar 19, 2008

wilezrules wrote:
    After Toni's death, he didn't run directly to Brenda. He ran out of town. No one knows where he went. It wasn't until the end of that season until we found out that they may have crossed paths in London. We don't know he went directly to Brenda ( i highly doubt he did considering that was such an emotional thing) He didn't run to Kelly, because Kelly wasn't going to be anywhere but Beverly Hills, California, and at the time, Dylan couldn't be there. Not to mention he knew she was with Collin at the time, and knew that she wasn't gonna choose him if Brandon was still around anyway. He needed to leave California. And as for running from one to the other... lets not forget the only reason he ran to Brenda in Season 4 was why? Because him and Kelly broke up. Thats what Dylan does, he runs from one girl to the next. And if neither of them are available, he finds himself a nice little side dish, (both of which in all reality were much better for him, but he's an idiot too when it comes to the Brenda and Kelly).

Yeah I agree with you. Dylan did the same thing in early season 4 when he went on a fishing trip with Brenda. He and Kelly were kind of off and on, so he tried to get back together with Brenda.

sheerwill

[48]Mar 19, 2008
    stellarchick86, who is your favorite couple on the show so far? I think you've seen most of the main couples by now, right?
    Edited on 03/19/2008 3:47pm

wilezrules

[49]Mar 19, 2008

as Brandon would say "It's classic McKay"

stellarchick86

[50]Mar 20, 2008
    sheerwill wrote:
    stellarchick86, who is your favorite couple on the show so far? I think you've seen most of the main couples by now, right?

Yea I guess so. Soapnet just ended the 3rd season so..
    Hmmm..well I like David and Donna I think they are cute together. Brandon hasnt really gone after anyone I REALLY liked ya know? Steve pretty much the same thing..then you got the D/K/B thing, if I had to pick from that Id say D/B but Im not an avid fan of them ya know, I can go either way on them. So through all that I guess D/D ? lol.

sheerwill

[51]Mar 20, 2008
    ^ What about B/K? You saw them in Season 7-8 right?

Geminigirl24

[52]Mar 20, 2008
    • level: 5

I never could swallow the 'Kelly's my soulmate cuz she saved me from the exploding car' idea. That was pure dumb luck. If he had been with Brenda, she would've been the one to call him. And, if D/K were supposed to be soulmates, how come they hadn't gotten together before? From comments made by both of them over the years, it didn't sound as if they really knew each all that well, so how could Dylan have felt it was always Kelly that was his soulmate? Not to mention all the times he was ready to rekindle his relationship with Brenda. Some of those occasions were already mentioned, but, in watching some of the graduation episode today, we saw how Dylan never convincingly told Kelly he would have chosen her even if Brenda had shown up that night (as shown in the flash-back to them in the swimming pool), then, when Brenda went to his house to talk about going to the U of M, he was more than willing to have a "private goodbye" with her, at least until Iris showed up!

Hmm, a thought for everyone to ruminate on: Would the writers have cooked up the B/D/K thing if Shannen hadn't started behaving like such a b*tch off-camera, leading to her exiting the show?

P.S. I have to ask, wilezrules, do you actually like 90210? lol! Alot of your comments are a wee bit on the negative side, so I was just wondering if there was anything about the show that you do like? No disrespect intended, just curious. (and I do mean just a wee bit, if you want to see real negativity, check out the SoapNet boards! Jeez, louise!

gwen13579

[53]Mar 20, 2008
    Geminigirl24 wrote:
    for everyone to ruminate on: Would the writers have cooked up the B/D/K thing if Shannen hadn't started behaving like such a b*tch off-camera, leading to her exiting the show?

I seriously doubt it.

Luke apparently put in a word for DK to get together that season. I've heard he wanted to work more with Jennie. But I doubt had Shannen's personal life not affected her work behavior so much, they would've gone so far on this triangle, or even started it at all. I still think they would've started with BK properly. Given that they went with BK anyway the following season, my guess is they would've gone with them otherwise. Star's already said that was the eventual plan post-S1.

Edited on 03/20/2008 12:18pm

stellarchick86

[54]Mar 20, 2008

sheerwill wrote:
    ^ What about B/K? You saw them in Season 7-8 right?

Yeah but I feel like that was so long ago I forgot (it was like this past summer). From what I remember, I liked them alot together, but since Im not a huge Kelly fan, I think Brandon deserves better (I think Kelly deserves Brandon less than Dylan. Brandon was such a sweetheart and always the good guy, where as Dylan I dont think ever cared for anyone really than himself, which is how Kelly is I think). But as far as the couple itself I think B/K make a better couple. Id have to watch 7-8 again which is probably what Ill do when it gets around to it, and then Ill stop at the faux-wedding LOL, so I can see it from the pilot to the end of 8 and get a better grip on the show as a whole, and then no one really needs to see 9-10 twice so I wont do that LOL. And I know now alot of people are going to say well did Kelly deserve to be cheated on? NO. No one deserves that but I kind of disregard that in a way because it was so out of character for Brandon I definetly believe it was just a tactic to drive them away since Jason was leaving. If he was staying I dont think that they wouldve done that at all.

Geminigirl, you said a lot of things I totally agree with. I was kind of trying to say that in my own way before but it didnt come out quite as well LOL.

Edited on 03/20/2008 4:13pm
    Edited 2 total times.

wilezrules

[55]Mar 20, 2008

So basically, you're saying that neither Kelly-Dylan or Brenda-Dylan wasn't that meaningful, because after all, he left Brenda to go for Kelly. If that is what you're saying, I agree with you to an extent, though Dylan went for Kelly pretty hard in Season 5.

I like 90210, it's one of my favorite shows ever. I liked it more for the longterm storylines, and most of Brandons journey (when he wasn't groveling for Kelly). I liked Steves journey, as well as the Donna-David journey (thought they played that off beautifully). I loved Val, but one thing that annoyed me, was how the plot kept thickening with her and her father. First it was he just committed suicide, then he was molesting her, then all of the sudden out of nowhere, she murdered him. My favorite story though as I've mentioned many times, is the Dylan and his father story, that pretty much began in season 2 when his dad goes to jail. The story moves on with a subplot of Dylans mom setting up a trust, which made Dylan millions (and also started some other cool storylines like Kevin-Suzanne steal his money from him). Unfortunately the story is ultimately ruined in Season 10 when his dad is revealed to have never been killed, rendering 4 years of storylines essentially useless.

Geminigirl24

[56]Mar 21, 2008
    I wouldn't say D/B or D/K weren't meaningful. Just because neither one lasted forever (at least not yet, that we know of) doesn't mean they weren't valid relationships. Since I, and many others, never cared for D/K being together it's a little difficult to give much respect to that relationship. In spite of it being a high school relationship, most of us D/B fans enjoyed their being together. And I wouldn't say Dylan didn't truly love either one of them, he was just young and obviously not sure who he was or who he wanted to settle down with yet. He seemed to live by the quote someone (my apologies, can't remember who right now) on these boards uses, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with"! Which doesn't speak much for his character, I know, but it added the 'drama' to the show the writers were apparently striving for. As for Kelly, while I don't hate her as some fans do, I lost a lot of respect for her for doing that to her best friend. I guess, though, if Brenda can forgive her, then so can the rest of us! The writers on the other hand are a different story..... I did begin to like Kelly more after the whole Dylan, John Sears, Dylan stupidity wrapped up and she finally got together with Brandon. Ahh, the good old days!

poundpuppy29

[57]Apr 25, 2008
    So many great posts some great points I think I am a D&B shipper and but I could see Brandon with Kelly or Val either would be interesting

SarahBH90210

[58]May 6, 2008
    • level: 4
    I am not going to go on and say to much cause i am exhausted after reading that all the way through in one sitting! Which ever way everyone in here feels it is great to see some 90210 passion going on! lol

I dont think that anyone can deny that you guys are true fans!

Plus i think i will just add - yes, yes i do hate the writers in some respects for what they did to Brandon and Kelly! I am a huge shipper of these guys!!! I can still bear however to watch season 9-10 because i love DD and the show soo much... but i totally get where everyone is coming from on that one!!

Kylie90210

[59]May 8, 2008
    • level: 4
    I will forever be devestated that my favourite couple on my favourite show of all time did not end up together. (Thankfully the writers redeemed themselves slightly with a D & D ending).

I agree that in some ways I wished 9 & 10 hadn't happened, cause if it hadn't we most likely would have had B & K. But, I love all 90210, and can never have enough, so 9 & 10 I love as well. Just wished Jason hadn't left!!!

90210rocks

[60]Jun 11, 2008
    • level: 1
    If Kelly and Brandon were meant to be together they would have got married at the end of season 8. Besides i think they were an awful couple.