Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 0000)

who was better or dyan kelly or brenda

  • Avatar of sheerwill

    sheerwill

    [21]Jun 1, 2008
    • member since: 12/12/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 750

    FacesDown wrote:
    Remember how Bren and Dylan independently went to see Balzac's house when in Paris, while Kelly cared more about shopping? I love Kelly, but even with Brenda out of the picture she doesn't make sense with Dylan. She's much more compatible with Brandon. Brenda is my number one choice for Dylan, and Toni is a distant second (only because B and D are so great together).

    I'm glad to see there's other people who love both Kelly and Brenda. I feel the same way. They're both great and important characters.

    I keep wavering between Brenda/Dylan and Toni/Dylan. I think Brenda is my first choice for Dylan because Toni's purpose was probably just to allow Luke to leave the show with a good storyline. If he was going to stay, they would've never gotten married and maybe her character would've never been introduced. And the more I see the episodes with Toni, the more similarities I see between her and Brenda. So I have to go with the original. Brenda is the best for Dylan.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [22]Jun 1, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    sheerwill wrote:

    FacesDown wrote:
    Remember how Bren and Dylan independently went to see Balzac's house when in Paris, while Kelly cared more about shopping? I love Kelly, but even with Brenda out of the picture she doesn't make sense with Dylan. She's much more compatible with Brandon. Brenda is my number one choice for Dylan, and Toni is a distant second (only because B and D are so great together).

    I'm glad to see there's other people who love both Kelly and Brenda. I feel the same way. They're both great and important characters.

    I keep wavering between Brenda/Dylan and Toni/Dylan. I think Brenda is my first choice for Dylan because Toni's purpose was probably just to allow Luke to leave the show with a good storyline. If he was going to stay, they would've never gotten married and maybe her character would've never been introduced. And the more I see the episodes with Toni, the more similarities I see between her and Brenda. So I have to go with the original. Brenda is the best for Dylan.

    Yeah, I dont think Toni wouldve been introduced because of just what her story was all about (revenge, family, etc) but then again Dylan didnt really have anyone the last couple seasons before he left. He had his sister in season 4, and then season 5 he was bumming around the house and didnt really have anyone unless you wanna include Val, while everyone else had a serious/steady relationship and some sort of storyline with it (and the fact that he wasnt in school didnt help either because they all had storylines that tied in with that as well, like "take back the night" and that sort of stuff). So no wonder why Luke got annoyed and wanted to leave to go onto something better where he had more screentime, I would too, I felt kinda bad for him. Shame he didnt get really that though and took the chance to come back anyway, lol (although he had alot more screen time in s9 and s10, although there were less characters to take up screen time).

    Edited on 06/01/2008 8:39pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gernine

    gernine

    [23]Jun 4, 2008
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 56

    Gotta disagree with the consensus here...

    Kelly, without a doubt.

    She and Dylan were soulmates - this was mentioned in the beginning (playground scene of "Senior Poll"), middle (Dylan's flashbacks in "The Real McCoy"), and end ("Steve explaining Kelly and Dylan's relationship to Matt in "I'm Back Because") of the series. What Dylan had with Brenda was great and I liked Brenda as a character, but what they had was a puppy love, first love sort of thing - it was beautiful and will always be remembered fondly but it was not meant to last imo. Dylan cheated on Brenda with Kelly but he didn't cheat on Kelly with Brenda. Dylan and Toni were good too, but I agree with others who mentioned that Toni was probably only brought in to give Luke a good exit from the show.

    Brandon and Kelly were pretty great too, and they had the sort of stable relationship you have with a good friend. It's nice and cozy, but the fireworks were really just not there for me. When they kissed at the retreat, it was cute, but the first time they decided to be a couple, it was just blah...Not to mention I can't really get over Brandon's cheating on Kelly emotionally with Emily Valentine and physically when he slept with Emma. From what I remember, Dylan never sleeps with anyone else when he's with Kelly. I love how Kelly explains it to Donna at the end of Season 5: "Don't think I'm crazy cuz I know this sounds nuts. I love Brandon with all my heart. But with Dylan, I don't know, it's like he'll always have a piece of my soul."

    But yea, that's just my take...

    Edited on 06/04/2008 1:40am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FacesDown

    FacesDown

    [24]Jun 4, 2008
    • member since: 05/17/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 62
    sheerwill wrote:

    I'm glad to see there's other people who love both Kelly and Brenda. I feel the same way. They're both great and important characters.

    I keep wavering between Brenda/Dylan and Toni/Dylan. I think Brenda is my first choice for Dylan because Toni's purpose was probably just to allow Luke to leave the show with a good storyline. If he was going to stay, they would've never gotten married and maybe her character would've never been introduced. And the more I see the episodes with Toni, the more similarities I see between her and Brenda. So I have to go with the original. Brenda is the best for Dylan.

    If season three never happened, then I wonder how many Brenda fans would still like Kelly? You know, I remember being so angry at her during the transition from Brenda/Dylan to Kelly/Dylan in its first TV run, but watching those early episodes again has made me realize just how important Kelly is to the show when Brenda is still there. I love their friendship. Hello Day, the double date, the slumber party, the constant phone calls where they poured out their guts to each other... Classic moments. I can't hate Kelly or any of the original core cast because they're all like family. I'm glad to know there are Kelly fans who appreciate Brenda, too.

    Great theory about Toni's purpose. I couldn't have said it better. IMO, this is why I don't think Toni was Dylan's greatest love.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FacesDown

    FacesDown

    [25]Jun 4, 2008
    • member since: 05/17/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 62
    gernine wrote:

    Gotta disagree with the consensus here...

    Kelly, without a doubt.

    Thanks for not insulting Brenda even though you prefer Kelly with Dylan. We can agree to disagree, but you've stated your point very well.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sheerwill

    sheerwill

    [26]Jun 4, 2008
    • member since: 12/12/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 750

    gernine wrote:

    Gotta disagree with the consensus here...

    Kelly, without a doubt.

    She and Dylan were soulmates - this was mentioned in the beginning (playground scene of "Senior Poll"), middle (Dylan's flashbacks in "The Real McCoy"), and end ("Steve explaining Kelly and Dylan's relationship to Matt in "I'm Back Because") of the series. What Dylan had with Brenda was great and I liked Brenda as a character, but what they had was a puppy love, first love sort of thing - it was beautiful and will always be remembered fondly but it was not meant to last imo. Dylan cheated on Brenda with Kelly but he didn't cheat on Kelly with Brenda. Dylan and Toni were good too, but I agree with others who mentioned that Toni was probably only brought in to give Luke a good exit from the show.

    Brandon and Kelly were pretty great too, and they had the sort of stable relationship you have with a good friend. It's nice and cozy, but the fireworks were really just not there for me. When they kissed at the retreat, it was cute, but the first time they decided to be a couple, it was just blah...Not to mention I can't really get over Brandon's cheating on Kelly emotionally with Emily Valentine and physically when he slept with Emma. From what I remember, Dylan never sleeps with anyone else when he's with Kelly. I love how Kelly explains it to Donna at the end of Season 5: "Don't think I'm crazy cuz I know this sounds nuts. I love Brandon with all my heart. But with Dylan, I don't know, it's like he'll always have a piece of my soul."

    But yea, that's just my take...

    Dylan did emotionally cheat on Kelly in Season 4 though because of his strong connection with Brenda (and physically tried to hook up with Brenda at the end of Season 3 and in early Season 4). Also, he slept with Brenda like a day after his breakup with Kelly just as she slept with Brandon. That should still be considered cheating. And it's the worst form of cheating. Brenda was Dylan's ex and Kelly's best friend, while Brandon was Dylan's best friend. IMO that showed Dylan and Kelly didn't have true love because they risked hurting each other so badly without giving it a second thought.

    Edited on 06/04/2008 2:22am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gernine

    gernine

    [27]Jun 4, 2008
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 56
    sheerwill wrote:
    ^ Dylan did emotionally cheat on Kelly in Season 4 though because of his strong connection with Brenda (and physically tried to hook up with Brenda at the end of Season 3 and in early Season 4). Also, he slept with Brenda like a day after his breakup with Kelly just as she slept with Brandon. That should still be considered cheating. And it's the worst form of cheating. Brenda was Dylan's ex and Kelly's best friend, while Brandon was Dylan's best friend. IMO that showed Dylan and Kelly didn't have true love because they risked hurting each other so badly without giving it a second thought.


    I personally believe that Dylan's emotions for Brenda were residual. They had a great relationship and completely getting quickly over someone with whom you shared that kind of bond would have been unrealistic. I think in most cases, it's just hard to see any exes move on or be with other people.

    Also, I don't believe that sleeping with someone after you've broken up with your significant other is cheating, but okay...It may be true that cheating with your ex's best friend is worse than cheating with a stranger, but the degree of difference to me is insignificant. Both are wrong. Then again, I didn't consider that cheating because they had broken up already - not to mention Brenda was leaving. It was only fitting that they would have one last night together. To me, David did worse to Donna than Kelly or Dylan ever did to each other but they (D/D) were meant to be together and did have true love even though they hurt each other.

    Also, if we're going to mention these instances of cheating, I think it should also be pointed out that while Brenda and Dylan were together, Brenda kissed Tim (aerobics class) and Rick (there was also an emotional connection), and Dylan kissed Sarah (and of course Kelly). These examples may not have been that big a deal really, but they did happen, so their love was obviously not infallible.

    If "Dylan and Kelly didn't have true love because they risked hurting each other so badly without giving it a second thought", then couldn't the same be said for Dylan and Brenda because they hurt each other by being with Kelly and Rick (and this was during their relationship as opposed to Dylan/Brenda and Kelly/Brandon after Dylan and Kelly had already broken up)?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HeXxXeD

    HeXxXeD

    [28]Jun 4, 2008
    • member since: 07/23/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,923

    you do know that whole soulmate crap came from Dr.Finley (a complete nut-job who manipulated Kelly FOR Dylan who was soooo desperate that he paid Finely to convince Kelly to believe so) Kelly held a torch for both Brandon and Dylan up until season 5 (where she chose Brandon after the "i choose me crap") and then in season 7 she *once again* chose Brandon OVER Dylan. the only reason the two broke up and did not marry was because Spelling wanted to continue the show no matter what! so he shipped off Jason who didn't want to be in the show anymore. and then put in Dylan (and the writers wanted to bring back Brenda but Shannen declined for Charmed), Matt, and another copy cat Brenda/Val Character Gina. and since Gina was NO Brenda (and Matt was NO Brandon) they had to realize the only other person that Dylan has history (though, bad history) with is Kelly so BY DEFAULT they put them together. even in season 3's "Commencement" commentary the writers say that the couples in the end that were supposed to be together was Brenda & Dylan, and Kelly & Brandon but since there was new writers and no Walsh twins they gave us a default couple in the end. I think Dylan loved Kelly, but knew his love for Brenda was more accurate. Kelly tried to constantly change him (and aren't you supposed to love someone for who they are?) Brenda took him as he was no matter what! and helped him get through all the things Kelly took constant credit of. That is exactly why after Toni died, who did Dylan run off to? Brenda (not Kelly...) but during the time of K/B's Breakup Kelly wanted Dylan but wouldn't allow herself to kiss him (which was good) it was just like how Brenda was not around or broken up with Dylan, Dylan would go chasing after Kelly. in both of their minds (especially in season 5 and after) both Dylan and Kelly found their relationship second choice (second best). another example was when Dylan sat by his answering machine in the beginning of season 5 and listens to it and when he hears the message from Brenda he repeats "I wont be gone for long, Dylan..." (and mocks her by saying whatever) that being said, i think he expected their relationship to continue and when he finds out that she isn't coming back he goes chasing after Kelly once again! but Kelly loved Brandon.

    and seasons 9 and 10... they were terrible, because everything was played as though Kelly and Dylan were meant for each other and re-wrote history to make it happen! that being said K/D were default for so many reasons and one in particular was because there was no Walsh Twins if there was there would have been a happy B/K relationship still and a happy Dylan/Brenda relationship as well.

    Edited on 06/04/2008 11:48am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sheerwill

    sheerwill

    [29]Jun 4, 2008
    • member since: 12/12/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 750

    gernine wrote:
    I personally believe that Dylan's emotions for Brenda were residual. They had a great relationship and completely getting quickly over someone with whom you shared that kind of bond would have been unrealistic. I think in most cases, it's just hard to see any exes move on or be with other people.

    Also, I don't believe that sleeping with someone after you've broken up with your significant other is cheating, but okay...It may be true that cheating with your ex's best friend is worse than cheating with a stranger, but the degree of difference to me is insignificant. Both are wrong. Then again, I didn't consider that cheating because they had broken up already - not to mention Brenda was leaving. It was only fitting that they would have one last night together. To me, David did worse to Donna than Kelly or Dylan ever did to each other but they (D/D) were meant to be together and did have true love even though they hurt each other.

    Also, if we're going to mention these instances of cheating, I think it should also be pointed out that while Brenda and Dylan were together, Brenda kissed Tim (aerobics class) and Rick (there was also an emotional connection), and Dylan kissed Sarah (and of course Kelly). These examples may not have been that big a deal really, but they did happen, so their love was obviously not infallible.

    If "Dylan and Kelly didn't have true love because they risked hurting each other so badly without giving it a second thought", then couldn't the same be said for Dylan and Brenda because they hurt each other by being with Kelly and Rick (and this was during their relationship as opposed to Dylan/Brenda and Kelly/Brandon after Dylan and Kelly had already broken up)?

    I saw much of S4 as K/D drifting further apart, while B/D moved closer together, with their potential reunion being teased on several occasions. So I believe Dylan was still very much in love with Brenda.

    What David did to Donna was terrible, but he was desperate for sex and wasn't trying to hurt Donna. If he had his way, Donna would've never found out about him and Ariel. That doesn't excuse his actions, but makes it more understandable IMO. But the same can't be said for Kelly hooking up with Brandon, and Dylan with Brenda. They were intent on starting relationships with the Walsh twins. Dylan was hurt pretty badly in S5 when he found out about K/B, and if Brenda returned Kelly would've probably been hurt about B/D as well.

    I just remembered Dylan did cheat on Kelly by kissing Lucinda while Kelly was off cheating on him with Brandon at the retreat.

    I agree with you about Dylan hurting Brenda by being with Kelly. Whether you love him or hate him, Dylan was easily the most selfish character on the show IMO. However, Brenda's fling with Rick was relatively meaningless. She kissed him a couple of times but he was a total stranger to her. She wasn't cheating on him with his best friend, and eventually she realized that her true feelings were for Dylan and not Rick.

    I enjoy these discussions btw. It's nice to read other peoples' viewpoints.

    Edited on 06/04/2008 11:57am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sheerwill

    sheerwill

    [30]Jun 4, 2008
    • member since: 12/12/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 750
    HeXxXeD wrote:

    but during the time of K/B's Breakup Kelly wanted Dylan but wouldn't allow herself to kiss him (which was good) it was just like how Brenda was not around or broken up with Dylan, Dylan would go chasing after Kelly.

    What do you mean by that? Are you referring to Season 9?

    Edited on 06/04/2008 12:18pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gernine

    gernine

    [31]Jun 4, 2008
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 56
    HeXxXeD wrote:

    you do know that whole soulmate crap came from Dr.Finley (a complete nut-job who manipulated Kelly FOR Dylan who was soooo desperate that he paid Finely to convince Kelly to believe so) Kelly held a torch for both Brandon and Dylan up until season 5 (where she chose Brandon after the "i choose me crap") and then in season 7 she *once again* chose Brandon OVER Dylan. the only reason the two broke up and did not marry was because Spelling wanted to continue the show no matter what! so he shipped off Jason who didn't want to be in the show anymore. and then put in Dylan (and the writers wanted to bring back Brenda but Shannen declined for Charmed), Matt, and another copy cat Brenda/Val Character Gina. and since Gina was NO Brenda (and Matt was NO Brandon) they had to realize the only other person that Dylan has history (though, bad history) with is Kelly so BY DEFAULT they put them together. even in season 3's "Commencement" commentary the writers say that the couples in the end that were supposed to be together was Brenda & Dylan, and Kelly & Brandon but since there was new writers and no Walsh twins they gave us a default couple in the end. I think Dylan loved Kelly, but knew his love for Brenda was more accurate. Kelly tried to constantly change him (and aren't you supposed to love someone for who they are?) Brenda took him as he was no matter what! and helped him get through all the things Kelly took constant credit of. That is exactly why after Toni died, who did Dylan run off to? Brenda (not Kelly...) but during the time of K/B's Breakup Kelly wanted Dylan but wouldn't allow herself to kiss him (which was good) it was just like how Brenda was not around or broken up with Dylan, Dylan would go chasing after Kelly. in both of their minds (especially in season 5 and after) both Dylan and Kelly found their relationship second choice (second best). another example was when Dylan sat by his answering machine in the beginning of season 5 and listens to it and when he hears the message from Brenda he repeats "I wont be gone for long, Dylan..." (and mocks her by saying whatever) that being said, i think he expected their relationship to continue and when he finds out that she isn't coming back he goes chasing after Kelly once again! but Kelly loved Brandon.

    and seasons 9 and 10... they were terrible, because everything was played as though Kelly and Dylan were meant for each other and re-wrote history to make it happen! that being said K/D were default for so many reasons and one in particular was because there was no Walsh Twins if there was there would have been a happy B/K relationship still and a happy Dylan/Brenda relationship as well.

    Yes i DO know that Dr. Finley mentioned it and yes he was a nutjob. He is totally discredited as a source through my eyes. Dylan was the one who said it first two seasons previously, while Brenda was still on the show (after Kelly "saved his life" by calling him so he wasn't the one who blew up with the car), and then again during the hypnotherapy session with Dr. Campbell.

    As for Kelly constantly changing him, yes you're supposed to love someone for who they are - but the way I saw it, she was trying to help become him less self-destructive. We do this for our troubled friends and it by no means says that we do not love them - in fact, just the opposite.

    Maybe Brandon and Kelly would have ended up together if Jason hadn't left. I used to be a fan of this couple too but again, as soon as Emily and Emma came into the picture, it was a dealbreaker for me. Even if Jason had stayed, because of this, I would have wanted Dylan and Kelly to end up together.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HeXxXeD

    HeXxXeD

    [32]Jun 4, 2008
    • member since: 07/23/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,923
    sheerwill wrote:
    HeXxXeD wrote:

    but during the time of K/B's Breakup Kelly wanted Dylan but wouldn't allow herself to kiss him (which was good) it was just like how Brenda was not around or broken up with Dylan, Dylan would go chasing after Kelly.

    What do you mean by that? Are you referring to Season 9?



    im referring to the beginning of season 6 when Kelly was broken up with Brandon and was with Colin and she and Dylan went to a storage place (or something...) and they had a moment but she wouldn't allow herself to be with him and let him know that she has a boyfriend.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kadodian

    Kadodian

    [33]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 07/01/07
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 3,337
    Dylan and Brenda belong together.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HeXxXeD

    HeXxXeD

    [34]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 07/23/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,923
    Kadodian wrote:
    Dylan and Brenda belong together.


    yes! u are soooo right! lol
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sheerwill

    sheerwill

    [35]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 12/12/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 750
    HeXxXeD wrote:

    even in season 3's "Commencement" commentary the writers say that the couples in the end that were supposed to be together was Brenda & Dylan, and Kelly & Brandon but since there was new writers and no Walsh twins they gave us a default couple in the end.

    Did they mention B/K in the S3 DVD? I thought they mentioned B/D in the S3 and B/K in the S1 DVD?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HeXxXeD

    HeXxXeD

    [36]Jun 6, 2008
    • member since: 07/23/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,923
    sheerwill wrote:
    HeXxXeD wrote:

    even in season 3's "Commencement" commentary the writers say that the couples in the end that were supposed to be together was Brenda & Dylan, and Kelly & Brandon but since there was new writers and no Walsh twins they gave us a default couple in the end.

    Did they mention B/K in the S3 DVD? I thought they mentioned B/D in the S3 and B/K in the S1 DVD?



    u know what! i think they did mention them in the season 3 dvd but im not sure... (i know for sure they did in the season 1 dvd) and i do remember them saying something about who they originally wanted to be together in the end of 90210 but i totally forgot! imma check my dvd and get back to u. ok?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 90210rocks

    90210rocks

    [37]Jun 11, 2008
    • member since: 11/27/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 6
    I think Kelly and Brandon made an awful couple Dylan and Brenda were ok but i still think Kelly and Dylan were the best
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HeXxXeD

    HeXxXeD

    [38]Jun 12, 2008
    • member since: 07/23/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,923
    are you serious? they were terrible together! nether one had an inch most of chemistry (Maybe in bed) but thats it! they were gross together and couldn't get along for more than two minutes. Kelly was a h0e and practically drove Dylan to do crack.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sheerwill

    sheerwill

    [39]Jun 19, 2008
    • member since: 12/12/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 750
    HeXxXeD wrote:
    sheerwill wrote:
    HeXxXeD wrote:

    even in season 3's "Commencement" commentary the writers say that the couples in the end that were supposed to be together was Brenda & Dylan, and Kelly & Brandon but since there was new writers and no Walsh twins they gave us a default couple in the end.

    Did they mention B/K in the S3 DVD? I thought they mentioned B/D in the S3 and B/K in the S1 DVD?

    u know what! i think they did mention them in the season 3 dvd but im not sure... (i know for sure they did in the season 1 dvd) and i do remember them saying something about who they originally wanted to be together in the end of 90210 but i totally forgot! imma check my dvd and get back to u. ok?

    Have you gotten a chance to check the DVDs yet?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HeXxXeD

    HeXxXeD

    [40]Jun 19, 2008
    • member since: 07/23/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,923
    sorry about that lol i totally forgot. Yes, the only mention of B/K supposed to be endgame is in the season 1 commentary. and the commentary for "Commencement" for season 3 only mentioned how B/D were supposed to be brought back together.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.