Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 0000)

Why?

zimba05

[1]Apr 30, 2008
    • level: 12
    Why do people hate Kelly beacuse she slept with alot of men, but say nothing when Dylan and Steve do the same thing?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sheerwill

[2]Apr 30, 2008
    • level: 8
    I think a lot of the hate has to do with the summer fling from Season 3, so people just try to dig up reasons to loathe her character. Val slept around a lot more than Kelly, but no one hates on her that much. Sexism is probably also a part of it. If a guy sleeps around, it's no big deal, but if a girl does, then she gets called the worst names imaginable. Personally, I don't hate Kelly at all. I don't agree with some of her actions (that's true for every character), but overall I think she's great. In fact, I'm both a Kelly and Brenda fan.

Chad_Cronin

[3]Apr 30, 2008
    • level: 15
    zimba05 wrote:
    Why do people hate Kelly beacuse she slept with alot of men, but say nothing when Dylan and Steve do the same thing?

I didn't like her as much back then. I thought she was a huge b!tch. I was on the brenda bandwagon and so since they clashed it was easy to not like her. As an adult now, she is probably my favorite character and I understand her actions alot now. I would say that the first 3 seasons were the worst for her character, as far as attitude, then she kind of progressed as a person. Of course they had to brain wash her and turn her into a victim a few times, and a druggie, but even after that I was able to get over all that and still wish for her happiness. My favorite thing with her character was her working for the foundation and showing that she had become a well rounded caring person.

HeXxXeD

[4]Apr 30, 2008
    • level: 17
    zimba05 wrote:
    Because she is a holier-than-thou B!TCH who is worshiped for absolutely nothing. She manipulated people into believing/and making Brenda out to being a B!tch when she was the real b!tch. my hate came from how hypocritical and b!tchy she was instead of how slutty she was (but then again most of the hypocracy came from her sluttyness) she was always willing to put Val down for sleeping with people and naming off a whole list of people Val was with! when she should have read off a list of her own which would have been so much longer than Val's if you listed all the males who have claimed to nail her. Val even mentioned that kelly slept with waaayy more people than she has in season 7.

BrendaW90210

[5]Apr 30, 2008
    • level: 2

^^ I agree with you! I NEVER liked Kelly. She was so b!tchy and snotty in seasons 1, 2 and 3 and after that summer fling I offically hated her!! I also agree that Kelly's list would be much longer than Val's. I love when Val said that line to her in season 7! I was like, "Go Val! You tell her girlfriend!" lol. There's a few episodes in season 2 when I wished Kelly's mom would've just slapped her! Like in 'Mexican Standoff' I would've been crying from laughing so much!

sheerwill

[6]Apr 30, 2008
    • level: 8

Chad_Cronin wrote:
    As an adult now, she is probably my favorite character and I understand her actions alot now. I would say that the first 3 seasons were the worst for her character, as far as attitude, then she kind of progressed as a person. Of course they had to brain wash her and turn her into a victim a few times, and a druggie, but even after that I was able to get over all that and still wish for her happiness. My favorite thing with her character was her working for the foundation and showing that she had become a well rounded caring person.

I feel the same way. Kelly showed a lot of growth and maturity over the years.

stellarchick86

[7]Apr 30, 2008
    • level: 32

I never thought of Kelly as a slut, I never saw her in that light. Besides, even if you're counting all the girls in the group who have slept with all the guys in the group Val AND Kelly both slept with the same amount. Val slept with Steve (wasnt in the one where Kellys dad comes back and I think Claire dumps him?), Dylan and David, and Kelly slept with Steve, Brandon and Dylan. So since I love Val I never hated Kelly just for being a slut because thats kind of hypocritical.

I do think of her a b!tch though, and always acts holier-than-thou, especially in the later seasons. Thats why I cant stand her.

Edited on 04/30/2008 3:59pm

wilezrules

[8]Apr 30, 2008
    • level: 9
    I hate Brenda more, but thats because I think Shannon sucks at acting. I dislike Kelly, not because she slept around (she didnt at least not on the show, she apparently did before) but because of the holier than thou attitude she portrays. This really began after the fire in Season 5. After that, she reall became pretty unbearable. Her attitude towards Valerie from day 1 in particular just rubbed me the wrong way. More importantly, her consistant abuse of Brandon's blind love towards her was the worst.

zimba05

[9]May 1, 2008
    • level: 12
    sheerwill wrote:
    I think a lot of the hate has to do with the summer fling from Season 3, so people just try to dig up reasons to loathe her character. Val slept around a lot more than Kelly, but no one hates on her that much. Sexism is probably also a part of it. If a guy sleeps around, it's no big deal, but if a girl does, then she gets called the worst names imaginable. Personally, I don't hate Kelly at all. I don't agree with some of her actions (that's true for every character), but overall I think she's great. In fact, I'm both a Kelly and Brenda fan.

Thank you! This was the exactly the point I tried to make...

stellarchick86

[10]May 2, 2008
    • level: 32
    I also want to add I saw Hello Life, Goodbye BH today and I find it annoying that she kept asking around and being suspicious of Brandon when he was with Emily, and even though he did kiss her, she didnt KNOW that and still acted like she knew for a fact, like saw with her own eyes. Yet, in this episode she was kissing Dylan all over the place like there was no tomorrow when shes with Brandon. SO annoying because shes SO hypocritical!

LAWelk

[11]May 2, 2008
    • level: 10

I agree with sheerwill in regards to sexism being a factor in the reason people hate Kelly. I think the women on that show develop the moniker of slut way to easily, while the men with whom they are sleeping are seen as studly and masculine. So, I think the writers of the show definitely wanted the women to be seen as slutty and only perpetuated a stereotype.

I don't hate Kelly, but I cannot say that I am a total fan of hers either. The holier than thou attitude that HeXxXeD referred to is absolutely correct. Kelly was so passive aggressive. She was a perpetual pouter and it made me crazy. On so many occasions she was really mean to other women on the show: like Brenda, and especially Gina. The middle of the series, seasons 5-8, when she was more on than off with Brandon, I liked her character. I liked her with him; I think Jeannie and Jason had really great chemistry and her character was much more pleasing when she was with Brandon.

I did think that she had good intuition on the character of Val being manipulative, and she never received the credit for that that she deserved. I thought that Jeannie played Kelly well and Kelly was a good victim. But, I will never fully like Kelly Taylor.

mcdreamygal24

[12]May 2, 2008
    • level: 13
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    I also want to add I saw Hello Life, Goodbye BH today and I find it annoying that she kept asking around and being suspicious of Brandon when he was with Emily, and even though he did kiss her, she didnt KNOW that and still acted like she knew for a fact, like saw with her own eyes. Yet, in this episode she was kissing Dylan all over the place like there was no tomorrow when shes with Brandon. SO annoying because shes SO hypocritical!

I know exactly how you feel.Also I wanted to slap her across the face.

dool_girl

[13]May 7, 2008
    • level: 27
    Kelly does a lot of things that annoy me a lot but I have always been a kelly fan. Donna drives me FAR more crazy then kelly does!!!! I love Val and Brenda too and they both do things that annoy me at times too! lol but overall i really like them all!

RHalladay

[14]May 20, 2008
    • level: 6
    Kelly during the high school years drove me crazy and I kinda liked her in season four. When the writers made her into a "saint" so Valerie would be the bad girl, I was so annoyed. Kelly redeemed herself in that season six episode where the girls spent the night in a convent and she realized she had slept around too. The Kelly in the later seasons was when I really hated the character, but that was the writers fault more then anything.

HeXxXeD

[15]May 21, 2008
    • level: 17
    ^^^ you liked her in season 4?!?! i found her to be the most awful then! (and season 9)