Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 0000)

Why did Jason Priestly leave the show??

aprilbabies

[1]Oct 10, 2006
    • level: 3

Just curious why he left the show

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

txgirl75

[2]Oct 10, 2006
    • level: 23
    He was ready to move on.

BHAddict

[3]Oct 13, 2006
    • level: 1
    According to this website:  http://hometown.aol.com/rexfelis/faq/faqcast.htm

Why did Jason Priestley leave the show?According to almost all reports Jason grew bored of playing Brandon after nine years and desires to play
    other roles - mostly in movies. In other articles written about the subject Jason had said that playing
    Brandon Walsh was a
    career prison and he believes that he's been typecast as Brandon which has cost
    him roles in movies. Jason had said at the beginning of the eighth season that he would stay until the end of
    the series, but this was before FOX and Spelling announced that there would be a ninth season. Jason probably
    figured the series was going to end soon after he made that statememt, like most people did, instead
    of it being renewed for another year. Jason by all accounts will remain as an executive producer on the show
    for most if not all of the ninth season.

Kylie90210

[4]May 30, 2007
    • level: 4
    I wished he'd stayed 2 more years!

SarahBH90210

[5]May 30, 2007
    It would have been ideal for jason to stay another two years... he held off for eight... why not two more? hehe at the same rate i am not completely sure where brandon would have fit into the final season, his relation with the characters? what would have happened with him and kelly (i know what i would have liked to happen, but it doesnt necessarily mean that it will!!) we could have perhaps been let down even further if he had stayed... maybe lol

wilezrules

[6]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 9
    After Kelly burned him, there was nothing left for him to do. He could finally move on with his life without someone holding him back. Soon thereafter, they bury the relationship (which supposedly was such a big part of kellys life) by fixing her up with Matt, and then talk about how "meaningful" her relationhsip with Dylan was when he got back, and how much more "intense" it was than her relationship with Brandon basically burying the Brandon Walsh character for good. I just think if the Brandon-Kelly relationship meant more, they wouldn't have quickly buried it after the wedding. I mean who does that? Almost get married, then all the sudden, act like they mean nothing to each other? Thats ridiculous. The show basically died at the altar with the end of season 8. They made a last ditch effort with bringing Dylan back (thank god, as he was the only one that kept the show watchable in the final 2 seasons) but the premise of the show was completely wiped away. Family from Minnesota moves to Beverly Hills.

90210rox

[7]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 14
    Jason probably wanted to move on, and he got tired of being on the same thing for eight years. But, you guys are right, it wouldn't have killed him if he lasted two more seasons.

Kylie90210

[8]Jun 7, 2007
    Or at the VERY least made an actual appearance in the last ep!

SarahBH90210

[9]Oct 4, 2007
    Yeah, and if he couldnt get any other jobs cause he was type cast then would it not have been a good idea to come back (and work)and see out the rest of the series? hmmm so sad! lol

sheerwill

[11]Dec 11, 2007
    • level: 8
    and then talk about how "meaningful" her relationhsip with Dylan was when he got back, and how much more "intense" it was than her relationship with Brandon basically burying the Brandon Walsh character for good.

When did they say this on the show? I don't remember Kelly ever comparing Brandon and Dylan like this. Or is this just your opinion?

wilezrules

[12]Dec 11, 2007
    Right away when Dylan got back. They sat down and basically, caught up. Kelly said that her and Brandon didn't have what her and Dylan have the whole "swininging on chandaliers" comment. If you notice, Brandon was hardly ever mentioned again.

th77

[15]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 24
    I can't say I blame him for leaving because the show had pretty much ran it's course at that time,it got a little good again when Vanessa Marcil joined the cast as Gina but even then they were really just revisiting the character of Valerie who was an attempt to fill the gap Brenda had left..I honestly think once they graduated college they should have wrapped it up then.

sheerwill

[16]Dec 21, 2007

wilezrules wrote:
    After Kelly burned him, there was nothing left for him to do. He could finally move on with his life without someone holding him back. Soon thereafter, they bury the relationship (which supposedly was such a big part of kellys life) by fixing her up with Matt, and then talk about how "meaningful" her relationhsip with Dylan was when he got back, and how much more "intense" it was than her relationship with Brandon basically burying the Brandon Walsh character for good. I just think if the Brandon-Kelly relationship meant more, they wouldn't have quickly buried it after the wedding. I mean who does that? Almost get married, then all the sudden, act like they mean nothing to each other? Thats ridiculous. The show basically died at the altar with the end of season 8. They made a last ditch effort with bringing Dylan back (thank god, as he was the only one that kept the show watchable in the final 2 seasons) but the premise of the show was completely wiped away. Family from Minnesota moves to Beverly Hills.

I just saw this episode the other day. I don't quite agree with you. Kelly DIDN'T bury her relationship with Brandon. Dylan was trying to get her to do that, trying to get her to admit that she missed being with him. But Kelly won't say that. She doesn't want to favor Dylan over Brandon or vice versa. She said that an aspect of the D/K relationship (chandelier swinging passion) was missing from B/K. Brandon made the same chandelier comment to Steve in an earlier episode. But she didn't say that she liked being with Dylan more. I'm sure that there are some things she liked better about Dylan and other things better about Brandon. I don't consider that to be burying the B/K relationship b/c they still obviously loved each other.

Kelly had to give some reason to Dylan. If she said everything was perfect in the B/K relationship, then how would she explain the non-wedding? So, IMO, the possibility was always there for B/K to rediscover their passion and reunite if Jason came back to the show.

wilezrules

[17]Dec 22, 2007
    She told Dylan that her and Brandon didn't have what her and Dylan had. And you're correct, he then asked her point blank, "so you broke up because of me.' and she said no that isn't it. In so many words, she was telling Dylan that her and Brandon had something that her and Dylan didn't, and that was the committment aspect of it, which is illustrated pretty well throughout the final 2 years of the show. (which is why, after re-watching those last 2 years, I'm not down on them as I originally was, not saying they are great by any stretch, but certainly not completely horrible). My only point was, that conversation, basically buried the original premise of the show which was this down to earth family from the Midwest (the Walshes) move out to la la land, because after that they are rarely mentioned again. I just didn't like the way it was done, particularly since they made it a pretty good point after Dylan left, to mention him once in awhile, and he didn't lose his relevance while he was away. The most essential character of the series, couldn't even be bothered to be brought back for the final episode. It's just wrong. Everything went through Brandon one way or another, and the last 2 years, everyone acted like he was never there, all the while, you had all of these things that took place that reminded you that he was there (like steve and janet at the walsh house, and the beverly beat etc).

sheerwill

[18]Dec 22, 2007

wilezrules wrote:
    The most essential character of the series, couldn't even be bothered to be brought back for the final episode. It's just wrong.

In a way I actually liked the fact that Brandon didn't come back. If he did come back, then they would have potentially had to start AND end the Brandon/Kelly/Dylan triangle on the series finale, which would have taken focus away from the David/Donna wedding. And if she chose Brandon over Dylan that would have made the whole Dylan/Kelly/Matt triangle of the last 2 seasons seem pointless. On the other hand, if she chose Dylan over Brandon, that would have pissed off all of the Brandon/Kelly fans (I think most viewers prefer Brandon/Kelly over Dylan/Kelly so that would be a lot of pissed off people). And it wouldn't make sense if Brandon were to appear in person, not be interested in Kelly, and just be okay with Kelly and Dylan being together. No one would believe that. But with the videotape, they teased us as to what the ultimate outcome of Brandon/Kelly/Dylan would be. Brandon gave his love to Kelly and Kelly remarked on how cute he still is, which indicates that they still have strong feelings for each other and that they may end up together again in the future. So even though the show ended with a Dylan/Kelly kiss, it's left up to the viewers imagination as to whether Dylan/Kelly would last or whether she would end up with Brandon again. In that sense, everyone can get the ending they want.

Edited on 12/22/2007 3:05pm
    Edited 2 total times.

sheerwill

[19]Dec 22, 2007

wilezrules wrote:
    In so many words, she was telling Dylan that her and Brandon had something that her and Dylan didn't, and that was the committment aspect of it, which is illustrated pretty well throughout the final 2 years of the show. (which is why, after re-watching those last 2 years, I'm not down on them as I originally was, not saying they are great by any stretch, but certainly not completely horrible).

Yeah, you're right, Dylan was fearful of committment during those last 2 years, right up until almost the final episode. You said you're not "down on them" - do you mean Brandon/Kelly or Dylan/Kelly? I assume you prefer Brandon/Kelly.

tony382

[20]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 6
    I always found it wierd when Brandon left, Dylan came back the very next episode. Why not have them together one last time to boost ratings? I always thought they had a problem with each other and that's why Preistly left the show before Perry came back.