Beverly Hills 90210 Forums

FOX (ended 0000)

Why did Jason Priestly leave the show??

gwen13579

[21]Dec 26, 2007
    • level: 8
    Funny you should say that. There's a quote on Fanforum apparently said by Jennie that Luke was more or less jealous of Jason. According to her, they had a stormy relationship and Luke didn't like Jennie doing scenes with Jason, "it was a guy thing".

But anyway, Luke coming back made no difference. The damage was already done.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sheerwill

[22]Dec 26, 2007

Jason and Luke are actually very good friends. So Jason didn't leave b/c Luke was coming back or vice versa. Jason's decision to leave was much earlier than Luke's decision to return. Luke was reluctant to come back, but he was offered a contract he couldn't turn down. Fox and Spelling knew the show would collapse without Jason and Luke. So they wanted at least one of them there. But Luke's return, IMO, was a dissapointment. He looked old and the Dylan character didn't have the same charisma as before. The show did collapse, even with Luke, b/c Fox announced its cancellation midway thru the 10th season. The ratings for the last 2 seasons were terrible, and many of the storylines were just recycled from old ones.

I've read about Luke's jealousy too. I think it had to do with Shannen's exit from the show, b/c that made Jennie the only lead female. Since Jason had most of the scenes with Jennie in season 5, Luke probably felt he had a secondary role. But they put more emphasis on the triangle towards the end of the season, so I think he had a more equal role at the end. If Shannen stayed, we could have seen both Dylan/Brenda and Brandon/Kelly at the same time, which would have been nice. But, oh well.

Edited on 12/26/2007 10:44pm
    Edited 6 total times.

wilezrules

[23]Dec 27, 2007
    • level: 9
    Thats interesting about the season 5 thing. Which makes sense, because I read that Luke was sick of all the crazy things they had him doing. But I found his whole drug addiction thing in season 5 a nice storyline, and made perfect sense. Obviously when it happened again in season 9 like you said it was just a recycled version of season 5. Lets face it, a lot of people dog Dylans return, but without him, are the seasons even watchable? I said before, without Dylan or Brandon, you're simply left with Steve being funny. Not to mention they lost Valerie as well. I mean those are the 3 best characters in the series; Brandon, Dylan, and Valerie, and to be without all 3 of them would have been awful.

sheerwill

[24]Dec 27, 2007

wilezrules, Do you like Brandon/Kelly better or Dylan/Kelly??? I noticed you criticize Kelly a lot, so I'm just curious which couple you prefer.

gwen13579

[25]Dec 28, 2007

wilezrules wrote:
    Thats interesting about the season 5 thing. Which makes sense, because I read that Luke was sick of all the crazy things they had him doing. But I found his whole drug addiction thing in season 5 a nice storyline, and made perfect sense. Obviously when it happened again in season 9 like you said it was just a recycled version of season 5. Lets face it, a lot of people dog Dylans return, but without him, are the seasons even watchable? I said before, without Dylan or Brandon, you're simply left with Steve being funny. Not to mention they lost Valerie as well. I mean those are the 3 best characters in the series; Brandon, Dylan, and Valerie, and to be without all 3 of them would have been awful.

Actually, given that I pretend Seasons 9 and 10 don't exist, they're not watchable whether Luke's there or not

I caught the episode where he returned at the end, and he and Kelly shared a look ... Then I knew. The writers would have everyone act like Brandon never existed and he and Kelly were nothing special together and Dylan was the love of her life. That's when I knew for sure I wouldn't and couldn't watch. (Well actually, it was this as well as the Brandon leaves episode and The Wedding.)

For me, Luke Perry was no Jason Priestley. And Dylan was no Brandon. That's why I never cared he came back when I heard he had.

But I do think Luke did his best acting work in the show in the drugs storyline, S5.

sheerwill

[26]Dec 28, 2007

gwen13579 wrote:
    The writers would have everyone act like Brandon never existed and he and Kelly were nothing special together and Dylan was the love of her life.

This isn't true. They didn't forget Brandon or discredit the B/K relationship. Kelly said to Matt sometime during season 9 that both Brandon and Dylan were "very significant others" that she had, and that she would basically do anything for them. So she didn't stop loving Brandon, and she continued to think highly of her relationship with him. But, obviously, they did emphasize D/K since Dylan was there and Brandon wasn't. It's kind of like how they emphasized B/K in seasons 7-8. Now, only if Brandon showed up in the finale.....

I wish both Brandon and Dylan were there in the last 2 seasons. It would have been interesting to see the triangle start again. Then, ultimately at the end, I think Kelly would have chosen Brandon and Dylan could either reunite with Brenda somehow or just drive off into the sunset. That would have been an amazing conclusion to the show.

Edited on 12/28/2007 9:01pm

gwen13579

[27]Dec 29, 2007
    sheerwill wrote:

gwen13579 wrote:
    The writers would have everyone act like Brandon never existed and he and Kelly were nothing special together and Dylan was the love of her life.

This isn't true. They didn't forget Brandon or discredit the B/K relationship. Kelly said to Matt sometime during season 9 that both Brandon and Dylan were "very significant others" that she had, and that she would basically do anything for them. So she didn't stop loving Brandon, and she continued to think highly of her relationship with him. But, obviously, they did emphasize D/K since Dylan was there and Brandon wasn't. It's kind of like how they emphasized B/K in seasons 7-8. Now, only if Brandon showed up in the finale.....

I wish both Brandon and Dylan were there in the last 2 seasons. It would have been interesting to see the triangle start again. Then, ultimately at the end, I think Kelly would have chosen Brandon and Dylan could either reunite with Brenda somehow or just drive off into the sunset. That would have been an amazing conclusion to the show.

If only. If only.

And I think the way you envision it is pretty much the exact same way thousands of fans do. Especially me. I'll always resent the way the show ends. Not everyone feels this way but when Jason left the show left with him.

sheerwill

[28]Dec 29, 2007

gwen13579 wrote:
    And I think the way you envision it is pretty much the exact same way thousands of fans do. Especially me. I'll always resent the way the show ends. Not everyone feels this way but when Jason left the show left with him.

I think most people do feel this way, except D/K fans. I mean the ratings say it all. Obviously D/K weren't that popular of a couple. If they were the show wouldn't have been cancelled. D/B and B/K were more popular, based on online comments from fans, polls, and TV ratings. Seasons 7-8, when Jason was there and the focus was on B/K, had much higher ratings than seasons 9-10 when Luke was there and the focus was on D/K. They went with D/K as default....it was the only option with the cast they had. I think having 90210 continue without Brandon was kind of like having Happy Days continue without Richie Cunningham, except worse. At least Fonz kept Happy Days somewhat interesting!!

gwen13579

[29]Dec 29, 2007
    I just wish they would've handled the Brandon/Kelly thing better before his departure. Everything was left up in the air, nothing was clear.

aimeelynne756

[30]Dec 30, 2007
    • level: 10

gwen13579 wrote:
    I just wish they would've handled the Brandon/Kelly thing better before his departure. Everything was left up in the air, nothing was clear.

I think thats because they had to end Brandon and Kelly quickly. And it didnt really make sense why they broke up. I think they would have went through with the wedding if Jason Priestly would have stayed. But because he was leaving they had to come up with a reason to break them up and it wasnt very good.

sheerwill

[31]Dec 30, 2007

aimeelynne756 wrote:
    I think they would have went through with the wedding if Jason Priestly would have stayed.

Actually I don't think they would have done the wedding storyline at all if Jason was going to stay. IMO they just did it to tease us and bring high ratings for the season 8 finale. Having them married would have limited the storyline possibilities. They probably would have saved a Brandon/Kelly wedding for the series finale. It would have brought better ratings than David/Donna.

Edited on 12/30/2007 10:19pm

sheerwill

[32]Feb 29, 2008
    sheerwill wrote:

aimeelynne756 wrote:
    I think they would have went through with the wedding if Jason Priestly would have stayed.

Actually I don't think they would have done the wedding storyline at all if Jason was going to stay. IMO they just did it to tease us and bring high ratings for the season 8 finale. Having them married would have limited the storyline possibilities. They probably would have saved a Brandon/Kelly wedding for the series finale. It would have brought better ratings than David/Donna.

I changed my opinion on this. I think they would have still done the wedding storyline if Jason was going to stay. B/K would have gotten married on the Season 8 finale. They could have come up with interesting storylines for them in Seasons 9-10 as a married couple. It would kind of be like Naley on OTH, except better. Plus, it makes sense for all of the original characters to have a wedding at some point on the show. And that's another reason why Kelly would have ended up with Brandon if Jason stayed. They would've already been married. It wouldn't make sense for B/K to get divorced and for her to end up with Dylan. That would be too crazy. All of this reinforces D/K as default.

Edited on 02/29/2008 9:17pm
    Edited 2 total times.

stellarchick86

[33]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 32
    Yea, I definetly think either they wouldve done it in season 8 or wait till season 10 (like on Friends, how they made Ross and Rachel not get back together for 7 whole seasons). But I dont think they wouldve done the "trick" wedding in season 8 and then really get married in season 10. No one would care in season 10 but all the suspense would be gone because it wouldve been like "been there done that". Maybe they wouldve changed the ending to season 8, maybe Kelly wouldve stayed mad longer at Brandon for cheating and wouldve changed the season 8 finale to something else, or I dont know..something!

wilezrules

[34]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 9
    Yeah but if Brandon did stay, Dylan might not have comeback. So B/K is still default from the moment Dylan left the show, everyone knew eventually, Brandon and Kelly get back together. That default just made more sense because of years of buildup. I hate it because Kelly is all wrong for Brandon, but I can't argue it wouldnt have made sense. My problem with Kelly-Brandon, and Kelly-Dylan for that matter, is simply Kelly is not right for either of them just from a general perspective. She's a two timing holier than thou, selfish brat.

gwen13579

[35]Mar 1, 2008
    I don't see how a couple can be seen to be 'default' at any point if they were planned more or less from the beginning. A writer's already said they just wanted to wait with B/K until Kelly matured from S1. D/K S3 was done to bring in a dramatic triangle, taken from Luke's idea put forward to the writers that he wanted to work more with Jennie. With all this in mind, and the fact Brandon unlike Dylan proposed and kept the ring, and all that B/K build-up in the 'Brenda years', they can't be seen to be default, whether Luke was there or not. BK's S5 break-up was for a very different reason to the DK S4 break-up. Kelly was more or less always admitting defeat to Brenda.

sheerwill

[36]Mar 1, 2008
    ^ Yeah I agree. Jennie Garth even said when 90210 went off the air that Kelly would have "ultimately ended up with Brandon," meaning Kelly would've chosen Brandon over Dylan if both were present at the end. So B/K can't be seen as default.

jordansbulls

[37]Sep 14, 2011
    • level: 1
    I really wished he came back to get with Kelly in the last episode.