Beverly Hills 90210

The Girl From New York City

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Sep 15, 1993 on FOX

• Kelly and Dylan break-up (through flashback sequences), then make-up. Brenda leaves Minnesota to head back to Beverly Hills. Brandon supports Steve's longtime crush after finding out she's been raped.

The development between Kelly and Dylan in this episode exemplifies why I think she's better with Brandon. I love Dylan. I really do, but his mood swings make him difficult to be around at times. Kelly isn't the type to spend weeks reading in a little café in France, and Dylan was rude to ignore her. On the flip side, Mr. Sensitivity, Brandon Walsh, is at home on the beach romancing Jill with his charm. Sure, Brandon gets too caught up in stupid competitions with Steve to see that he's not paying attention to his possible fling, but he ultimately does the right thing to deserve her trust. Brandon's personality jives more with Kelly than Dylan's. She needs a man to hold in the middle of the night the way Brandon held Jill.

I can't help but wish that Brandon and Kelly had spent the summer realizing they have more than a platonic love and that Brenda had picked up that phone when Dylan called in the last episode and ditched her awful college "friends" to join him in Europe. Brenda understands mood swings, independent urges, and the painful path to self-discovery like nobody but Dylan. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself by talking about later character developments that I hate, but I wish things could have been different...