Bewitched (1972)

A is for Aardvark

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jan 14, 1965 on ABC

• Samantha realizes the danger of giving Darrin too much power too soon when she automates the house after he sprains his ankle.

Of all of the "Bewitched" episodes, this tops the list of all of my favorites. There are many reasons that it does. First, the chemistry between Dick York and Elizabeth Montgomery is the most heartfelt in this episode. Most of the others went for straight comedy, which is fine, but this had more heart than many of the other episodes would. This was also a testiment as to how much Samantha really loved Darrin and how much she was willing to sacrifice for him. In turn, I love the gift he gives her, proving how much he is devoted to her. Both actors really deliver solid performances, and for once, the character of Endora is not too overused her when she correctly assesses the danger of having too much power at one's fingertips. I also loved the real tears that Montgomery cries; that scene always makes me cry when I see it. In the rest of the series, sadly, Montgomery only cries as the result of magic. The black and white film stock used also should be commended. It delivers a crisp, clean picture which contributes to the atmosphere and the emotional content in the episode just perfectly. A tour-de-force all the way around!