Bewitched (1972) Forums

ABC (ended 1972)

Aunt Clara

ElenaLeilaBijou

[1]Dec 9, 2008
    • level: 6

Just wanted to see what others think of her character.

I thought she was kind of cute at first, but I found Aunt Clara to be quite suffocating in the third season. I know she's a fan favorite, but I couldn't help but groan when I'd see her pop up in another episode. I'm not fond of her "bumbling, dithering," and slurred speech. Was that how Marion Lorne spoke in real life? Or was it just for her Aunt Clara? I believe she spoke the same way in The Graduate.

Anyway, the episodes with her grew tiresome. Aunt Clara casts a spell, goofs up, spends the rest of the episode trying to remember the spell to reverse and fix the situation.

Just wanted to put my two cents in and wanted to see if anyone had anything to contribute about Lorne's acting (aside from what's already on IMDb & Wikipedia).

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JIH1984x

[2]Dec 13, 2008
    • level: 9
    From what I've read regarding "Bewitched," she was actually a great actress. She would learn her lines perfectly, and then add the bumbling later for effect.

I agree that the basic premise was repetitive, but the spells were different, as were the lessons. I see where you're coming from, but I loved her. She was much better than Esmeralda.

usedtobefangle

[3]Jan 7, 2009
    • level: 10
    I think she's fabulous

Canada_Michael

[4]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 10
    All of Sam's relatives became repetitive at some point. Endora, Sareena, etc did basically the same things as time went on, I found Aunt Clara to be more enjoyable to watch then many of the others.

klaatube

[5]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 4
    She has always been my most favorite character all the way!!

Gubler_Gal

[6]May 12, 2009
    • level: 13
    I agree with Michael..they all become repetitive at some point..and I personally found Serena's repetitive appearances much more annoying than Aunt Clara. Clara was endearing. Esmerelda basically had the same thing going for her that Clara did, but to me personally it was nearly as charming. With Clara it was just an aging gentle lady, with Esmerelda it was just her being ditzy. Don't get me wrong...I like them all to some degree really.

jmartin7112000

[7]Feb 6, 2011
    • level: 13

"Aunt Clara" was always a particular favorite of mine. Marion Lorne had great acting ability and she was game for playing the character of Aunt Clara brilliantly (which involved a lot of physical activity!) until she passed away.

I think of Aunt Clara as the dear elderly relative that many of us have had in our lives. She was someone you loved to have visit every time yet perhaps someone who needn't have tried to "help out" too much at her advanced age! Her "goofs" were the results of only the best of intentions.

John Martin, 49