Bewitched (1972) Forums

ABC (ended 1972)

One show I never get tired of seeing

Random862

[1]Dec 9, 2005
    • level: 7
    I never get enough of this show. I can see the same show 3 times in a day and it's still funny even though I know what is going to happen.

I liked the first Darren more than the second one. Dick York just suited the role better. Dick Seargent just didn't seem to have the chemistry with Elizabeth Montgomery that Dick York had. Had Dick York's health been better, he would have been in the show for the long term, but he was replaced because his health (back problems I think), caused him to miss too many taping days.

I also liked the original Gladys Kravitz better, however, her her health made it impossible for her to continue in the role too.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

giantsfan2401

[2]Jan 6, 2006
    • level: 4
    I agree with you on both counts, 1st Darrin and 1st Mrs. Kravitz. I quit watching the show after Dick York was replaced. I thought he was canned for asking for a raise, but I do know that he had severe health problems. I remember that they carried on for at least half a season without him, but Sam was always talking about him. (He was supposedly away on business all that time, and talking to Sam on the phone nearly every week, her end only, (of course). The second Mrs. Kravitz tried to be exactly like the first, and just wasn't up to it. NO ONE could screech ABNER!,ABNER!!!!!! like #1.

wheelrchair

[3]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 15
    I liked Dick York, I thought that both Mrs. Kravitz's were good.

SupermanNYC

[4]Feb 14, 2006
    • level: 45
    I love this show, its really funny too

tvshowfan

[5]Mar 30, 2006
    • level: 1
    This is one of my faves. I like the Dick York as Darrin best, and I like both Gladys Kravits'.

danzagurl

[6]Apr 6, 2006
    • level: 11
    This show and I Dream of Jeannie are my favorite shows! And, yeah, I like the original Darrin, Louise, and Gladys Kravitz better.

SupermanNYC

[7]Apr 13, 2006
    • level: 45
    gotta agree with the both of you, me too.

cantorgurl

[8]Jun 6, 2006
    • level: 12
    I agree too.

PrincessMeg16

[9]Jun 23, 2006
    • level: 17
    I know I could watch this show all day and not get tired of it.

Galmgalm

[10]Jul 4, 2006
    • level: 10
    me neither, a great show.

sophie8725

[11]Jul 6, 2006
    • level: 4
    I have the first 3 seasons on DVD and I watch them literally all the time. Elizabeth Montgomery has always been in my top five actresses, and has been someone I've always wanted to meet (which is obviously impossible), but when she died I was 7, lol.

I have to agree, Dick York was much better as Darrin, the chemistry was there. Same thing with the first Kravitz, although the second did a nice job too. To give both credit, its got to be incredibly hard to come in and have to take over an established character.

The_Evol_One

[12]Jul 27, 2006
    • level: 1
    I don't really like this show. It's not all that funny, and there are way too many 'Endora messing with Darrin's head episodes'. However, I do like the magical aspect of the show. It makes it addicitve. Maurice is hands down the best character. I'll give the second place to Aunt Clara.

pinkgirl_41

[13]Aug 27, 2006
    i like this show cos of abithas cuteness.

chaosrainz

[14]Apr 15, 2008
    Dick York left the show after collapsing on the set. He had a severe back problem from an earlier injury during a filming of a movie he had done and also developed a dependency to pain killers because of it.
    I've heard after the collapse that he was "fired" and also that he resigned to concentrate on his health, eventually recovering enough to do a few guest appearances in the 80s I think. Not bad considering he was pretty much bed ridden for a period of time.

Ratings dropped when Dick Seargent came on board. Erin Murphy was quoted as saying that he was probably Montgomery's favorite Darrin and speculation in that same article I read attrivuted to the fact that York's health led to lots of re-writes when he was ill and shooting conflicts so he was the more expensive of the Darrins in a sense. York had more chemistry with Montgomery though for sure and reasons alluded to on that was because Seargant was gay but not out at the time and therefore had no chemistry with a woman as his romantic lead.

I agree the storylines could get old because basically Darrin was the poor afflicted soul being tortured at every turn, but you have to consider that without that, there would be no plot! Much like I Love Lucy (another Asher project), most of the conflict, if it had been set in real life, could have been totally avoided or diffused at any rate but then you would have had 30 minutes of nothing funny going on.
    It's just kind of something you have to try and ignore to enjoy the show.