Bewitched (1972) Forums

ABC (ended 1972)

Samantha And Her Family's Age

fishburnd

[1]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 3
    Old Old Is Samantha and her relatives?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fishburnd

[2]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 3

Record's

Endora: 1,000 B.C.

Samantha: 1675

chaosrainz

[3]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 17
    Can you cite your sources please?

Canada_Michael

[4]May 4, 2008
    • level: 10

It's been awhile since I saw any episodes but I don't recall them being too specific about birth dates or ages. From what I recall Witches and Warlocks age much more slowly then mortals and can be thousands of years old. They don't actually give a specific age for any of the characters but in a episode where Endora gives Sam a painting of Sam as the Mona Lisa, and states she's had it lying around for centuries. At the end of the episode Darrin wonders what people will think when he's a old man and she will still look the same?

If Sam is hundreds of years old and looks to be in her 20's or 30's then someone like Aunt Clara could easily be 1000 or more.

chaosrainz

[5]May 6, 2008
    • level: 17
    What's always bugged me is that Tabitha aged normally on the show. But I guess they made up for that when she got her own show and was like in her 20s and it was just about 6 years later! lol

JIH1984x

[6]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 9
    the ages changed throughout the show, as they purposely tried to hide them. we know aunt clara existed during the victorian era, that samantha was a child when living during that time with endora in tibet, and that both endora and clara were around for the founding of america. we also know that maurice was around during shakesperean times.

samantha's aunt cornelia, played by e.m., was in a mona lisa type painting, and samantha claimed to be just a child or not alive during that time. also, samantha's powers could not work in the past before she was born, and this happened when she was in the middle ages, so we know she was not that old.

the ages are unclear because they were meant to be. when it comes to aging, samantha claimed in one episode that she could transform herself to age with darrin, but upon his death, i guess she would turn back. actually, endora probably could have dealt better with the marriage since she had to know that it would end sooner than later by darrin's natural mortality, but that would take away from the show.

as far as tabitha aging, i liked her spinoff, but that was a writers' issue. i think that it is possible for witch children to age appropriately into adulthood, and that once they reach a certain age, they stop aging. i mean, who would want to go through puberty for an extended period? also, tabitha was half mortal, so that could be related as well.