Bewitched (1972) Forums

ABC (ended 1972)

Samantha's Witchy Ways

charmedluver

[1]Jul 7, 2006
    • level: 8

I never liked the way how Darrin didn't want Samantha to use her magic, do you

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

outoffog

[2]Jul 11, 2006
    • level: 16

Obviously, you're a "first time viewer", 'charmedluver'.

There HAD to be conflict between Samantha and Darrin over her magic. She promised him, in the very first episode, that she'd "never" use her witchcraft again. However, after she cleans his kitchen at the very end of that episode, she smiles and says, "Maybe I can taper off". Well, she did, but never completely. There wouldn't be any "plot" if Samantha DID stop using her powers. Darrin never gets "comfortable" at having a "witch" for a wife, and lets her know when he thinks she's using her abilities too much, or at any time for the wrong reasons. He may be a little hard on her for doing that, but in the end, he always winds up telling her a variation of "I don't care WHAT  you are, so long as you're my wife and I love you so much". 

aesgaard41

[3]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 34
    In this, I think Darren pushed the "no witchcraft" rule too far. Samantha should have been able to use witchcraft to make her life easier at times.

zhangliao1

[4]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 6
    how dare darren

you know shes hardly going to be any older when he dies so what does darren think shes going to do when hes dead

yeah shes going to be a witch again so why make her stop

chaosrainz

[5]Sep 13, 2007
    • level: 17
    This gets on my nerves too but I still love the show.

It's like I Love Lucy... if Fred and Ethel and Lucy and Ricky have been best friends for like 14 years, how can they not trust each other and let little things make them fight? lol

The writers could think of no other way to create conflict and get everybody involved in goofy situations so this was how they did it.

aesgaard41

[6]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 34
    if anyone is interested, I noticed the Collinsport Ghost Society website has a bio on Samantha and an analysis of her powers.

JIH1984x

[7]Feb 4, 2008
    • level: 9
    outoffog wrote:

Obviously, you're a "first time viewer", 'charmedluver'.

There HAD to be conflict between Samantha and Darrin over her magic. She promised him, in the very first episode, that she'd "never" use her witchcraft again. However, after she cleans his kitchen at the very end of that episode, she smiles and says, "Maybe I can taper off". Well, she did, but never completely. There wouldn't be any "plot" if Samantha DID stop using her powers. Darrin never gets "comfortable" at having a "witch" for a wife, and lets her know when he thinks she's using her abilities too much, or at any time for the wrong reasons. He may be a little hard on her for doing that, but in the end, he always winds up telling her a variation of "I don't care WHAT you are, so long as you're my wife and I love you so much".

I agree. Also, it was a period where the man ran the household. In a world of reverse sexism where women believe that they should run everything, it is hard to imagine. However, when a man wanted something, it was expected, at least at the surface. However, Samantha did plenty of magic with and without permission from Darrin, and he even appreciated it quite a few times.

In response to the original comment, your name makes me aware that you love Charmed, and so you know "Lost and Bound" and other episodes with references to this show. Charmed makes Bewitched out to be a lot worse than it was. Even though Phoebe and Piper reference it, and like it, the pro-female message of Charmed automatically gives a negative connotation to the 1960's series.

Darrin denounced magic in public, when it worried him, or seemed to keep him from getting ahead in his world. In Charmed, Prue and Piper were similar in that they tried to keep magic out of their mortal lives. Piper, especially, wanted a normal life, even though she loved magic. Leo was more incapable of providing that life. The themes were very, very similar.

Canada_Michael

[8]May 12, 2008
    • level: 10

I don't think they did a good job of explaining why Darin didn't want Sam to use her powers. I really think Darin was afraid that if she used her powers that one day her secret would come out and people would panic. They would be separated by the government who I'm sure would want to study her powers, or worse they could be killed.

I seem to recall an episode(s) where dream sequences were used to show what might happen if Sam's secret came out. I don't think Darin hated Sam or her powers in anyway. If he did give off that vibe it was surely more to do with her relatives putting a spell on him or causing them grief, and Darrin saying @ the end of the episode he loves her despite what he has to go through.

If Darin had let her use her witchcraft Edora and the others would still have hated him. It would most likely have been impossible for him to live in the Witch/Warlock realm so she made the decision to try to fit into his world willingly.

chaosrainz

[9]May 13, 2008
    • level: 17
    Canada_Michael wrote:

I don't think they did a good job of explaining why Darin didn't want Sam to use her powers. I really think Darin was afraid that if she used her powers that one day her secret would come out and people would panic. They would be separated by the government who I'm sure would want to study her powers, or worse they could be killed.

I seem to recall an episode(s) where dream sequences were used to show what might happen if Sam's secret came out. I don't think Darin hated Sam or her powers in anyway. If he did give off that vibe it was surely more to do with her relatives putting a spell on him or causing them grief, and Darrin saying @ the end of the episode he loves her despite what he has to go through.

If Darin had let her use her witchcraft Edora and the others would still have hated him. It would most likely have been impossible for him to live in the Witch/Warlock realm so she made the decision to try to fit into his world willingly.

Yes, there was an episode where Sam twitched a dream into Darrin so he could see how things would be if they did tell everybody her secret.
    I remember the government took them somewhere secret to help them fight communism or something. lol
    It should have been season 4 or 5 because Tabitha was taken for the same reason (her magic).

Endora and the others didn't like Darrin because he was mortal and they had a low opinion of mortals. Endora was constantly putting spells on Durwood (lol) to try and illustrate these traits to Sam.

Canada_Michael

[10]May 13, 2008
    • level: 10
    chaosrainz wrote:
    Canada_Michael wrote:

Yes, there was an episode where Sam twitched a dream into Darrin so he could see how things would be if they did tell everybody her secret. I remember the government took them somewhere secret to help them fight communism or something. lol It should have been season 4 or 5 because Tabitha was taken for the same reason (her magic). Endora and the others didn't like Darrin because he was mortal and they had a low opinion of mortals. Endora was constantly putting spells on Durwood (lol) to try and illustrate these traits to Sam.

Yup that's the episode I was trying to think of. There was also a earlier episode involving Warlock tea that Darrin takes to his Pharmacist to analyse because he thinks it's moon-dust. After doing so he has a nightmare about men from NASA taking him and Sam away for questioning.

Darin also didn't find out Sam was a Witch until the Honeymoon, so Sam must have worried about Darrin's reaction to the news. It's no surprise that both of them were worried about the general publics reaction to finding out Witches exist, and why Darin didn't want Sam to do any witchcraft.

bewitchedfan2k

[11]Jan 31, 2009
    • level: 12
    It was Samantha's own choice to do as her Husband wished. She could of left him at any point if she didn't like it but true love came though which is the whole point of the show. Love overpowers all.

Gubler_Gal

[12]May 12, 2009
    • level: 13
    It is annoying..and one would think that any man would be like "This is awesome!"..but as the others have said that wouldn't have provided for the plotlines the writers wanted. As for Darrin's reasoning I think it all came down to control issues and the desire for normality. It was the mindset of we're going to do it the way everyone else does because the work itself is its own reward. But yeah not much of Bewitched makes sense, but that's one of the reasons why we watch.

burrell525

[13]May 18, 2009
    • level: 2
    Yes it is aggravating---however, I believe that was a plot by the writers to get the viewers more involved in the show. It plays on your feeling and also everyones inner avarice.

bewitchedfan2k

[14]May 20, 2009
    • level: 12

Gubler_Gal wrote:
    But yeah not much of Bewitched makes sense, but that's one of the reasons why we watch.

Could'nt of put it better myself

CUL8TRBY

[15]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 4

I realize that they had agreed no witchcraft except in "emergency's". But yes I always wished that he would backup some and let her use her powers more. Especially after the babies came along. But then again I'm a woman who has raised kids on her own and would have loved to have had a few magical powers to get the house work done. LOL

Lady_Lancaster

[16]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 41

Darrin didn't seem to mind the magic being used when it suited him, which annoyed me, but the main thing I hated was what a chauvanist he was. Of course, I realise that that was how men didoften behave in the 60s but sometimes he really overdid the 'husband is boss' thing. A product of the era I know but still annoying. *grin*