We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Bewitched (1972) Forums

ABC (ended 1972)

Which one played a better part, Dick Sargent or Dick York?

Jemadari

[82]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 12
    On topic I prefer Sargent as his character was less animated now for personal venting Derwood was an unrepentant chauvinistic bigot and Samatha was a poor excuse for a woman for putting up with it but Endora Serena and Tabitha really saved the show for me
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gubler_Gal

[83]May 12, 2009
    • level: 13
    Definitely Dick York for me. However...I think that is in large part due to the fact that he was the original...so he has the advantage. Also, these days...one typically watches Bewitched in part for the retro charm of it..and York captures that better IMO. The relationship between Samantha and Darrin completely changed. I suppose it was in order to make it more palatable for the changing viewers, but for me it's hard to imagine Samantha going from the basically submissive housewife to an all around equal to Darrin. Although I suppose that could also be attributed to the evolution of the marriage lol. Added note: Compare Ep 50 and Ep 254 for a more or less same ep with different Darrins.
    Edited on 05/13/2009 11:39am

horizonrusted

[84]Jun 22, 2009
    • level: 1

I think its ironic that everyone (including me) seems to think that Dick York had such great chemistry with Montgomery, because to my understanding they did not have the best relationship. Sargeant on the other hand had a great relationship with Montgomery. Oh, and my vote, of course goes to Dick York. I think there may be some prejudicial opinions being formed since Dick Sargeant came out of the closet. I'm not saying that's why people don't prefer him (generally speaking), but I do think that's why some people have justified their preference.

Edited on 06/06/2010 5:48am

popdido

[85]Jul 30, 2009
    Dick York by far. Dick Sargent did not have good chemistry with Elizabeth Montgomery. Maybe that is why EM did not seem to be there in the 8th season. She knew there was no chemistry. Dick Sargent did not seem to have much chemistry with Erin either. You do not see him pick her up and hug her like Dick York did. Dick Sargent just never seemed comfortable in the role.

CUL8TRBY

[86]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 4

Dick York did a much better job as her husband. He was a nicer character.

Lady_Lancaster

[87]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 41

Personally, I believe that Dick York was the better Darrin, he seemed to capture the role more completely and get inside the character moreso than Dick Sargent.

dwagamon

[88]May 26, 2010
    Richard Allen "Dick" York was by far the more entertaining Darrin. He had a chemistry with Elizabeth Montgomery that made them click on screen. He was more creative in his interpretation of the character and used more facial expressions and comedy. He showed an array of moods as would be true in a long-term relationship. Dick Sargent seemed to be angry all the time and rarely accepted Sammatha's use of witchcraft or her intrusive relatives. Dick York attempted to get along with and, in several episodes, truly liked Sam's relatives (especially Aunt Clara). Dick York was simply the better fit and had more talent.

It was unfortunate that Dick York was injured in Arizona while filming the picture "They Came to Cordura" in 1959. During the last day of filming, while he and Gary Cooper were operating a hand car on a railroad track, one of the extra's grabbed the handle just as Dick was lifting the handle up and he lifted the 180 lb man off his feet. The weight of that action tore all the muscles on the right side of his back causing a severe spinal injury. This injury would plague Dick all his life and was the cause of the severe pain he lived with continually. One day while filming Bewitched, Dick fell off a raised platform due to exhausion and pain and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. He wuold spend over 1 year recovering. This was when he left the show. He continued having chronic back pain until he died while also developing emphysema. Dick fell onto hard times after his departure from the show and spent time on welfare. Dick dedicated his life to helping the homeless and was the founder of Acting for Life, an organization designed to help the homeless help themselves. Dick continued to live in poverty in Grand Rapids, MI, as his health continued to deteriorate physically. Dick York tirelessly continued giving of himself for the benefit of others until his death from emphysema in 1992. I think his life speaks for itself.

ct02809sb

[89]May 28, 2010
    • level: 5

I prefer Dick York's performance. But Dick Sargent is fine. If he had played Darrin from the beginning, we wouldn't have known the difference.

melooks

[90]Feb 18, 2011

It's funny that Dick York is the overwhelmingly favorite Darrin because he didn't get along very well with Elizabeth Montgomery. His portrayal of Darrin Stephens was great though. Dick Sargent on the other hand, had a fantastic relationship with Elizabeth Montgomery! They were very good friends in real life. He was a good Darrin too, but not quite up to Dick York.

fanboy34

[91]Oct 4, 2013
    • level: 11

The original Darrin was played like her husband while the second guy did a decent job just being a generic foil ( like a brother in law ) who was sharing the home. They had zero chemistry as a couple and new-Darrin seemed grouchy and almost angry in most scenes. Was he actually gritting his teeth much of the time? It never made any sense why he'd treat his alleged wife that way under any circumstances. Re-shooting some of the old scripts didn't do Sargent or the show any favors either. It just underscored that they were out of steam by then. None of this was the fault of Dick Sargent though. He was just a different character in my opinion. The producers should have done what My Three Sons did (with Bub and Charley) and make the new actor play a similar but different role.

For a comparison, Tony Nelson and his Jeannie grew as a couple over the run of that series while Sam and Darrin sort of took a sudden devolution towards the end of York's tenure (as his medical issues took a toll) and then took a zig-zag course into left field when they had to re-cast the role. They should have just let it die.

NikiMattson

[92]Oct 30, 2013
    • level: 11
    Dick York, no doubt about it!
    Though I thought Dick Sargent was all right, and he seemed to have a little more of a personal rapport with Elizabeth Montgomery (got that from the book about her), he did not put the feeling, emotion and facial features into the role like Dick York did. Dick York was like "SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!!!!" and Dick Sargent was like "Sam!"

grambuolis

[93]Sep 10, 2014
    • level: 2
    I prefer Dick York's performance. But Dick Sargent is fine