Bewitched (1972) Forums

ABC (ended 1972)

Why Do You Think The Show Was So Popular?

Lady_Lancaster

[1]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 41

Hi All,

I grew up watching "Bewitched" and I loved it but as an adult, I've often wondered what it was about this show that not only made it so 'watchable' but also so entertaining. I think it was the comedic talents of the cast, most particularly Elizabeth Montgomery and Agnes Moorehead and also all of the things that poor Darrin had to suffer due to having a witch as a wife.

What do you think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CUL8TRBY

[2]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 4

As a kid I would watch the show everytime it came on. We would play pretend and when it was my turn to pick I always chose Bewitched and I finally mastered twitching my nose like Samantha. Even thought I couldn't make things disappear and reappear it was fun. As I am now an adult I like watching them for the antics and good clean humor. I had forgotten about a lot of these episodes and it's funner to watch them without the commercials. I would love to see all of them in color though.

Lady_Lancaster

[3]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 41

All of the DVDs have been released in color so you could maybe rent them or buy them so that you could see all the episodes in color.Smile

ct02809sb

[4]May 28, 2010
    • level: 5

When I was a kid, I liked it for the magic and special effects. As an adult, I see that the show is well written and acted...especially the earlier seasons. It also addresses marriage and other aspects of real life, even as a fantasy.

borisbalinkoff

[5]May 31, 2010
    • level: 22

I agree with some of the previous posts. I think the far-fetchedness of witchcraft appeals to people who like that kind of stuff, but it's more general than other kinds of outlandish situations (The Flying Nun, anyone?) so that it can appeal to more people. And even without a lot of the witchcraft, it's still a good show.

jmartin7112000

[6]Feb 6, 2011
    • level: 13

I enjoyed Bewitched during its first run and also with reruns from earlier seasons at the same time! I love the series to this day.

My affection for the show stems from my original liking of the show, in general; my own life lessons from birth to the age of 49, and by my understanding of how the show was produced and the many dynamics that went into that.

The show addressed prejudice in an abstract and creative way. Also, it had the best production staff, the best writers, and an outstanding cast of actors. Director, Bill Asher was always a part of the project but many may not be aware that it was only by a curious series of events that Liz Montgomery, Agness Moorehead and Dick York were among the original cast members. I'm ever thankful for the original cast.