Bewitched (1972)

Hippie, Hippie, Hooray

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Feb 01, 1968 on ABC

• Serena is arrested as part of a love-in and makes the front page of the local newspaper. Samantha tries to keep it a secret from Darrin...but when Larry and Louise see the review, they suspect something's wrong with Sam...and that's only the beginning!

All of us have a "dark" -- or at least an alter ego -- who dreams of doing things that we wouldn't do normally. Elizabeth Montgomery admitted that the character of Serena was created to give her something different to do than play the super-sweet Samantha every week ... and in this episode, she has fun playing her sexy, kooky cousin Serena!

The plot device of look-alike cousins is not all that new (see "The Patty Duke Show"); at least two other "Bewitched" episodes featured Serena before this one, but "Hippie, Hippie, Hooray" really brought Serena's character to the forefront.

Serena is as wacky and offbeat as Sam is steady and sensible, and that's what makes this episode better than most. Montgomery admitted she enjoyed this episode (and "Serena Stops the Show" from the sixth season) because it gave her a chance to sing and dance. The two songs in this episode, "Rock-a-Bye Your Baby to a Rock-and-Roll Beat" and "The Ifin Song," are silly but catchy (I remember the words to "The Ifin" song even now, more than 40 years later). Liz reprises "The Ifin Song" as the closing theme to this episode, one of the few times something other than the "Bewitched" main theme is used.

One of my favorite exchanges between Samantha and Larry occurs when Samantha comes downstairs after going upstairs (as Serena) to baby-sit Tabitha:

LARRY: "Where's your kooky cousin?"

SAMANTHA: "Oh, she's upstairs playing with Tabitha while I check my groovy ... uhh ... GRAVY!"

While minus the usual sight gags of changing hair, makeup and dress to switch from one to the other, this episode makes up for it by the sharp contrast between Liz-as-Sam and Liz-as-Serena (later episodes have Serena donning a black wig for an even greater contrast).