Bewitched (1972)

Naming Samantha's New Baby

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Oct 23, 1969 on ABC

• One of those testosterone-filled episodes which is saved from being horrendous by the existence of Endora and Maurice.

As much as I have always loved "Bewitched", the mysoginistic storylines do tend to wear a little thin after a while. This episode is no exception when Maurice, Darrin and Frank get embroiled in what to name the new baby. Darrin insists that his son be named after his father, Frank, and Maurice expects that he will be named after himself. It seems as though his mother, Samantha, has no say in the matter at all, she simply agrees with everything that Darrin says(as usual) and is quite happy for the baby to be named Frank.

It is irksome in the extreme to watch episodes like this in the present day but I know I have to make allowances for the fact that things were a little different 40 years ago when the series was made. Thank goodness for all the animosity between Maurice and Endora, it saved this one for me as Agnes Moorehead is, as always, amazing, and Maurice Evans works well in his role as Maurice.