Bewitched (1972)

ABC (ended 1972)

mrdivot

Bewitched (1972) Fan Reviews (81)

• Witches!

Various ep (09, 14)
  • Bewitched, One of My Favorite Childhood Shows

I loved this show ever since I was a little girl. I loved Elizabeth Montgomery immensely when I was a little girl. Dick York, I thought was the best Darrin Stephens. He was much funnier than Dick Sargent. I'm very happy that I can watch this show on & Hulu. I'm truly thankful for Internet Television, so that I can watch these favorite shows of mine and reminisce my childhood. Thanks,
  • Great Show

I love this show, I loved it as a child and I still love it today.
  • What do you get when a beautiful young witch marries a mortal? Why, that's easy! One of the funniest and best television sit-coms of the 1960s!

Darrin and Samantha Stevens are like any other happily married young couple in 1964 America ... Well, not QUITE like every other couple because while Darrin is as normal as the day is long, his beautiful wife just happens to be a bona-fide witch!

"Bewitched" ran for eight wonderful seasons with Elizabeth Montogery, Dick York, Dick Sargent, Agnes Moorehead and a host of guest stars entertaining us with their antics, magical and otherwise, week after week.

Darrin is a hard-working advertising executive who works for the firm of McMann and Tate. His boss, Larry Tate, is more concerned about money than anything else but Darrin wants to do a good job and win the respect of his boss as well as his clients.

Darrin loves his wife very much - it's just her relatives he can't cope with; mother-in-law Endora, dotty Aunt Clara, annoying Uncle Arthur and vivacious Cousin Serena just to name a few.

Darrin does his best to hide the fact that Samantha is a witch from his family, friends and colleagues, but this isn't always easy, especially when Endora (superbly portrayed by Agnes Moorehead) does everything in her power to make his mortal existence as difficult as possible. No wonder he loses his temper upon occasion!

This show is a timeless classic which can be enjoyed again and again. The whole family will love it!
  • Love this show.

Love this show as a kid and it's still just as good.
    I watch the Bewitched DVD's all the times, especially when there's nothing good on tv, which is most of the time. I sure wish Elizabeth Montgomery and the other main actors were still alive to read about how much their fans really loved them and the show. There are so many fan websites, and message boards about Bewitched or some of the other actors on the show. The internet has helped Bewitched fans connect and talk about her much we love this great show. Bewitched for life!!
    "Classic"

Didn't everyone want to have magic powers when they were younger? I loved this show because I always wanted to be a witch like Samantha.
    I would practice for hours twitching my nose!
    I always hoped that I had long lost relatives like Endora to come and tell me I was one.
    Endora was wacky and a favorite of mine.
    I also thought Tabitha was so cute.
    I loved see what pickles they would get themselves into.

but hate it sme times when i wach it i just feel like aaa you now riht right come come come comecome come come com on on on no no on no
  • great

a classic show about a witch who marries a human. It was one of the frist show to have witch as diffent that they aree put to be. And also this show made it possible for other show just like it. It is a classic that the whole faimly will love to wacth again and again. i just whant to wacth it right now becaues of shows are not what they were back than with funny puns and soem action and good problems the characters sovle. Classic are made once and a life time, so in love them with your heat nad mind.
  • Classic, that says it all!

This classic story of a nose twitching witch is one that will live on forever and ever. This is an old family friendly show that one day when I have kids will be one they must watch every episode. Some shows just never die. They never should die. If only half of todays sitcoms were as wholesome and funny as this one, maybe, just maybe the world might be a better place with fewer violent teens and abusive adults. This is just a good show. period. I only wish that the movie would have lived up to the amazingness that the show had set.
  • One of the best

This is another example of television at it's best. Along with shows like the Andy Griffith Show, Beverly Hillbillies, and I Dream of Jeannie, they set the bar for all other comedies to come along.

This show was cancelled before I was born, but I watched it in re runs forever. In fact if I am flipping through the channels late at night and come across it, I still stop to watch.

The whole premise for the show might have seemed a little controversial back in the day, but it is pretty tame by todays standards. And Elizabeth Montgomery was a damn fine actress. She may be gone, but she will always be remembered.
  • This show is about a beautiful, cauldron-stirring, broom-riding witch named Samantha who falls in love with a mortal named Darrin, of which her mother (Endora) doesn't approve.

This show is amazing, especially the special effects which are very proffesional for being done in the 60's. I think my two favorite characters are Serena and Endora, because they always do what ISN'T allowed and actually make the show interesting and actually fun to watch. The look on Darrin's face when he sees Endora pop in to his room with her SPECIAL ABILITIES (he banned the m word). He looks like a little kid who's ice cream fell on the floor for the 3rd time. But the way Serena does it to him, I'd rather not describe it...
  • A young witch named Samantha marries a mortal named Darrin Stephens and, at Darrin's request, tries to learn to live without witchcraft, even with her magical friends and relatives frequently popping in and out.

A great classic show! Being born in the 80s, Bewitched was well before my time, and it is one of the few classic 60s shows that I really like. When Bewitched premiered in 1964, it was a very original approach to a sitcom. It appealed to everyone, not just a specific demographic. Bewitched's premise of a witch marrying a mortal was fascinating and had not been seen in television previously.

From the very beginning, it was clear that Bewitched would be a smash hit with audiences. There are many aspects of Bewitched that made, and still makes, it appealing to audiences. One of the biggest is the shows trademark of Samantha's nose twitch. It was also great because of how Darrin tried to cope with his sudden exposure to the world of magic. Add to that the constant bickering between Darrin and Samantha's mother Endora, which was a classic portrayal of the problems between mother-in-laws and son-in-laws.

One of the main factors that contributed to the great popularity of Bewitched was the performances given by the cast members. Elizabeth Montgomery's performance of Samantha made her one of America's television sweethearts. Agnes Moorehead's portrayal of Endora was equally great, making her one of America's favorite mothers/grandmothers. Dick York's portrayal of Darrin for the first five seasons is usually a fan favorite. When Dick Sargent took over the role in season six, his performance caused the show to drop in ratings and popularity. Add to these the characters of Samantha and Darrin's daughter Tabitha (Erin and Diane Murphy); their neighbor Gladys Kravitz (Alice Pearce and Sandra Gould); Darrin's boss, Larry Tate (David White), and his wife Louise (Irene Vernon and Kasey Rogers); Samantha's Aunt Clara (Marion Lorne); and all of the other recurring characters, you have one of the best shows of the 60s.
  • Elizabeth Montgomery was TV's First Sexy Witch

Bewitched in many ways was almost The Liz Montgomery Show until a failed pilot concerning actress Tammy Grimes as a witch was presented to her. What happened was the birth of one of television's best and most loved shows. Liz Montgomery, daughter of actor Robert Montgomery, was beautiful, magical and demurely sexy. Guys watched the show because they were in love with her; they wanted a girl just like her to make their dreams come true. Girls watched because they loved the romance of a husband and wife trully in love with each other. Darren Stephens, played best by Dick York, had to really love Samantha despite the trials and tribulations placed upon him by his mother-in-law Endora, the worst and most mischievous mother-in-law in history. Despite the erotic possibilities Darren missed out on, Samantha could have turned into any woman or divulged into any of his fantasies, the series missed the mark on a lot of paranormal facts, and used its magical setting to unleash a lot of creative license but no credible information about real witches. For example, even if she was a witch, Samantha would not or should have had the ability to time travel or have lived for two hundred years. Tabitha should not have "inherited" her mother's powers. Real witches have to develop their skills and training based on their discipline, training, knowledge and enlightenment of the mystical (not necessarily black ) arts. That's why so many witches are portrayed or considered as old women; my only resolution is that Samantha, Tabitha and even Sabrina much later on must actually be some sort of alternate human race with advanced psychokinetic powers. The series missed the mark with cameos by elves, fairies and ETs. Witches may have recieved powers from pagan deities, but they were never visited by them. The ghost episodes were okay, though, because witches do have low to high perception of psychic phenomenon. On the whole, the series suffered greatly with York's absence and should have stopped there. Dick Sargent was a harder, meaner Darren and less of a romantic than York who even had a sense of humor with the insanity around him. The last three seasons with Sargent were largely the same as they recreated all of York's episodes - a sure sign that the series had run out of ideas.
  • A loving wife, exciting and beautiful to behold, and a very powerful witch....lol The comings and goings of Samantha's family is very hexing to Darrin, and lots of laughs for the veiwers.. a true classic of T.V. never to be forgotten.

This show has been around for years and will most likely continue for many many more years to come. It is a classic in its own right. Samantha is the witch anyone who beleives or wishes they could be , wants to be. The continuous conflict of mortal values verses witch-craft is timeless and most of the times downright funny to witness. This show was a bit ahead of its time, and done in todays studio's could be done so brilliantly, maybe they should try to redo the show? Tabitha had a run at it and I also liked that as well, maybe they should try one for today with Adam as the lead charactor trying not to use his powers and the rest of his witch family dropping by causing a little mayhem? Could be interesting. But anyhow, Samantha will always be the most popular witch of all time for tv shows. She is the best and always will be in my heart. Elizabeth Montgomery , no other person could have done what she did to the role of Samantha/Sareena, she was awesome. Tabitha and Adam, the cutest of kids, and Agnes Moorehead as Endora the wicked witch of a mother....lol, and of course the beloved Aunt Clara and the jokester Uncle Aurther...not to mention Samantha's father, and all the other witchly charactors,all perfectly cast and well acted. Offset by Darrin's mortal family and all the confusion of witch craft and feeling like they were loosing their minds....for the imposible things that seem to miraculously appear and disappear etc.... If you like magic and witchs' and all that goes with it....then this original tv show basically started it all, and they did a great job of it. I still watch it today as often as i can......just can't get enough of it. It is the best show ever for me and always will be.
  • My favorite show

My favorite show, I remember watching it when it came on ABC and I still watch it on TV Land. Being a witch myself I find the show very entertaining, and funny. I like the shows with Samantha and Serena, I loved Serena the most, she had a great style and Uncle Arthur would crack me up. He was a character too, now Endora could have cut Darin some slack, but I understand the witches councel wanted the marriage desolved. Endora should have stood by her daughter and got to know Darin a little better, Darin too should have got to know Endora. But that probably was the whole show.
  • Samantha Stevens, a beautifull witch who could have it ALL, chooses instead to make a life with a mortal man that she falls in love with. The clash between witches and mortals makes for hillarious moments both within and without the Stevens household.

This is a show that not only my mother grew up with, but I was also able to grow up with through re runs. I loved the animated opening sequence, the theme song, and the cute animated Samantha and Darrin...as a child i was truly "bewitched" by this show. Elizabeth Montgomery, Dick York and Agnes Moorehead made this show one of the best all time classics there is. Entertainment Weekly listed Bewitched as one of the 100 grestest television shows of the 20th century! Its HORRIBLE that while the show itself garnered many emmy nominations, Elizabeth Montgomery herself did not win any emmys for her portrayal of Samantha.
  • I loved this one when i was a child.

This is the first serial i've been watching, when i was a child, when i went back from school at midday, i used to turn on the TV set and to watch Bewitched while eating. It was really great, there was those really funny but touching special effects which were very impressive for a young boy. I didn't even think about : Oh this is a movie thing, they are only actors playing their characters... at the time.
    I didn't even noticed when they changed Darrin's actor. Which made me feel sad when i grew up and realised what is on tv isn't real, and is just people playing roles :(.
    Anyway i liked this series much and i still watch it any time it's on television.
    Elefifiro.
  • Although this show is over 20 years before my time, it's still an excellent show and a personal favorite of mine.

The story of a mortal marrying a witch is pretty interesting. Especially since the mortal doesn't want the witch to use her magic anymore, but she does anyway (even when she tries hard not to).

Elizabeth Montgomery is simply adorable and very loveable playing the witch, Samantha (Sam). And she makes the nose twitch look so much fun. And although I have tried to attempt do the nose twitch (as I'm sure many of you have, too), I haven't had much success.

Dick York does very well at being the mortal, Darrin. And I definitely prefer him to Dick Sargent, who played Darrin in later seasons after Dick York was unable to continue doing the show.

Agnes Moorehead does an excellent job at being Sam's witchy mother, Endora. Endora has always been a favorite of mine, and it is very interesting to see the things she comes up with to try to end Sam and Darrin's marriage.

Diane & Erin Murphy are sooooooooo cute as little Tabitha (Sam and Darrin's daughter).

It's always hilarious when the neighbor Gladys Kravitz (Alice Pearce, later played by Sandra Gould) witnesses Sam's magic, and her husband, Abner (George Tobias), never does. Which makes her look and sound like she's crazy.

Of all the relatives of Sam's that are always "popping in", Aunt Clara (Marion Lorne) is definitely my favorite. Clara is very old and forgetful and is always messing up her spells. But she is extremely lovable, and has a hobby of collecting doorknobs.
  • I loved Bewitched. I have been watching it since it first started. I liked Samantha Stephens played by Elizabeth Montgomery because she is one of my favorite characters in the show.

Bewitched was a sophisticated ensemble situation comedy (considered light and fluffy by some) featuring relevant cultural themes in a fantasy context.

For years the main characters have remained in the story. Others came and went sometimes for short periods and sometimes for many episodes.

They helped to make the story more exciting.
    Some of the main chracters were Samantha, Darrin, Tabitha, Endora and Larry.

Each episode was a story on its own but it formed part of the whole story.
  • my childhood memories

bewiched was one of my favorite shows in my childhood. i moved to NY when i was 3yrs old from Tokyo Japan, since my father's work.
    i varely talked and understood english, but this show was entertaining just watching it, without understanding the words. The fashion and how they act with dramatical actions were perfect enough to hold my heart!
  • Magical Spark

I always loved this show. So, Of course,I had to buy first season when it came out.
    It had that "Je ne sais pas" that alot of older shows had. Bewitched had a magical spark to it.
    Two people in love but difference that could or possibly not get in the way. The Writing is great and acting is good. The only think that I didn't like is the darren change but that couldn't be helped.
    All in all. One of my personal favorite and that list is growing and growing :)
  • Wow 8 seasons ! Wow

Every one always says why did they change Darrins well in casting at the very begining the wanted dick sergent to be darrin and not dick york but sergent was already doing a show so York was there second choice york went for 5 seasons and had a bad back problem and a drinking problem so he had to quit and serget wasn't doing any thing so they hired him! But all togeather this was a great show!
  • The show is based on a witch who marries a mortal and who ends up having a baby.

I loved watching this show on TV. It was always a good show to watch. However, if anyone thinks the movie with Nicole Kidman in it is going to be good, you are going to be disappointed. I couldn't wait to go see the movie and I was so disappointed in the way they created the movie.

Stick to watching Bewitched on TV and not in the movie theatre.
  • Bewitched was before my time, but it sure was a good show. It had a magical spark to it. It was fun and funny. I started watching the reruns of this show when I was little.

My mother always liked watching this show when I was little, and one day I decided to watch it. It was an incredible show. Samatha, was a sweet, gentle, and beautiful witch. She loved her husband Darren, who was funny, stubborn, and nice. They had a lovely marriage, but it was hard for them to be happy when Samatha's mother would always show up. Endora, the mother of Samatha was a queen of her own right. She had control over Darren until her daughter would step in and command her to stop clowning around. This was a good show, and there was more characters like Larry Tate, Mrs. Chrivis, Tabitha, and Serena. This was the one of the best shows for magic and fantasy.
  • a classic and very memorable show!!

Bewitched is the tale of Samantha and Darrin Stephens, your average married couple apart from the fact Samantha happens to be a witch.

In season 2 a new arrival greeted the family - baby Tabitha (spelt Tabatha till season 5) this little girl caused a big sensation especially when she turned out to be a witch. Season 6 brought along Tabitha's baby brother Adam who only has slight witchly powers.

each episode is filled with a thousand laughs especially the magical mishaps but the real idea of the show is that of a loving marriage no matter what the other person is like all married couples Samantha and Darrin had many arguements but they always made up.

the wonderful late Elizabeth Montgomery was fabulous as Samantha and wild Serena, she made the show work along with Dick York (seasons 1 - 5) and Dick Sargent (seasons 6 - 8) as her husband Darrin. Of course i can't forget about Agnes Moorehead as Samantha's mother Endora, Agnes made the character likeable even when she was being cruel to Darrin.

from season 3 another star was brought on to Bewitched, little Erin Murphy as Tabitha. Erin proved to be a vital member of the Bewitched cast who could hold her own amongst the adult cast despite her young age. of course in the early years Erin had help playing Tabitha, she shared the role with faternal twin sister Diane but during season 4 it became obvious which twin was which and Diane would cry whenever she came on set, so in the end Erin took the role on full time.

there was also David and Greg Lawrence as baby Adam, sadly the two of them never really appeared much or had any real storylines.

Bewitched is an absoutely classic!!!
  • Basically boy meets witch, mortal and advertising executive Darrin Stephens.Witch Samantha always wanting a life seperate from magic and taking on the housewife role.Darrin is qite happy with Samantha's powers.Disapproving mother-in-law, Endora,when anger

With Witch Samantha and mortal Darrin, Endora the meddling mother in-law make this tale one to enjoy and poor old Mrs.Kravitz who always seems to see what she ain't meant to see.
    I wish this show was still on, sometimes it's silly, sometimes it's strange but above all this is one show that will stay with me to the grave!
  • Original and a Classic.

This show is by far the best supernatural tv show ever created. Not only is the star Elizabeth beautiful, but she's smart and has a warm caring personality. There are so many great episodes it's hard to decide which one is the best. This is a classic original creations. I don't think the new movie will be better than the original tv series, but at least it honors the show.
  • One of the best sitcoms at that time, and personally I think it still is. The humor and characters are Top-Notch in this series.

I sometimes like to watch the classics like shows and movies. Bewitched is truely a classic series. I enjoyed watching the series a lot. Many people knd of ignore these classics, which is a little sad. I just hope that more people will give this Comedy series a chance to watch it.
  • A young witch marries a mortal, and they try to make their marriage out.

This show is an all time classic. I still watch it every night. I love this show very much. The acting is wonderful, and the story line is so cute. I would love for there to be some sort of remake series, which would be hard to do, but I think it can be done. This kind of show is something that America is lacking. It is a family show. I can't name one show that there is that is safe for children, yet amusing for adults in our age. Bewitched is a favorite of mine, and my family. Watch it!!!
  • Bewitched Is the Best Of The 60's

I give Bewitched a 9 out of 10 only for one reason towards the end of the series it started to get to hoaky they satrted repeating stories and it just all went down hill when Dick York lest. I remeber the show when NICk at Nite showed it and then when TV land showed it and then when UPN showed nut then it dissapered and has not been on TV for at least three or four years. This show has class and is'nt filled with all the sexuael refrences and language that todays tv is shoing. The show is avaliable on DVD well at least the F 1,2,3,4 season. Come on Sony and Bring the rest out!!!!!
  • Who hasn't seen this show?

Who hasn't seen Bewitched? It is a classic. I love this show.

I really like the character of Samantha. Aside from being a witch she is a great wife and mother. I also like how funny she is. No matter how tense a situation she always seems to make me laugh.

I don't really have a favorite episode. But I do like the ones after Tabitha is added in. Something about bringing the baby into the show just made it alot better. I really like the ones when Tabitha is a little more grown up and has all of her powers.

Bewitched is a great show!
< 1 2 3