Bewitched (1972)

ABC (ended 1972)

mrdivot

Bewitched (1972) Fan Reviews (81)

• IT IS OK...a little...

1.3
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z z....

It's not good at all but thats my opinion!

*snores* i have only seen one episode and already i dont like it but i dont hate it!
  • Jeannie Was Better

I always thought that Darrin Stephens and Tony Nelson were the most unrealistic mortals with having a witch and a genie who loves them and forbidding from them using their powers. But Bewitched was the worst cause of the silly plots. Darrin is the constant victim of Endora, Serena and Maurice. Plus Darrin has to put up with Larry Tate who takes credit for his work and never made partner. Bewitched also lasted too long.
  • Good for an old show.

This was a good show for its time. But having been born almost 30 years before it first made it to TV, I found it hard to get some of the jokes. I saw some episodes with the old and new husband, and i have to tell you like some other people i didn't even notice. But i really did like the uncle that would appear now and again. With that being said I have nothing much more to say about this show. I did watch the movie that was based some what on the show, now that was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
  • A nice and funny show.

Bewitched is a funny and cute show. If you take the time to stop and think about it, Samantha represents the changes in the world. Darrin represents the uncertain about the changes.

Like all 1960's sitcoms there are many shots of people who get a hilarious bug-eyed expression when they see or hear something that the can not explain

As for the characters, Samantha is the ideal person: kind-hearted, independent and ca not stand injustice. It must be hard on Darin having to explain all the weird stuff that goes on. Larry Tate is my favorite character and I think he is the best person on the show. He is so funny.

I think everyone should learn to like Bewitched.
  • Woman witch faces things as a mortal.... most of the time.

I dont really care for this show, but it is better than most stuff out there. even though it is before my time i would watch it. But it is not as good as Gilmore Girls, Cased Closed, Smallville, Ect. Out of the oldies it is on of the best!
  • great show, a classic witch story with a bit off a twist.

7.1
    This was the one of the best shows for magic and fantasy, it was in my oppinion the best sitcom in its time.
    its a show for the whole family even for little kids especially when samantha and darren had a child, Tabitha who did several magic things she was not allowed to do and as a child you wished you could do all the stuff Tabitha did.
    I cant remember seeing the whole show , it ran for a total of 8 seasons but in my book overall its a great show and i especially loved the jokes samantha's family played on Darrin and his boss.
  • This show could be seen around here a couple months ago, and I have admit it: it is simply great and really fun!

7.2
    This show is about a man (Darrin) who married a girl (Samantha). It would be a simple plot if the girl didn't have magical powers.

Her husband tells her not to use her powers, but across the episodes (and sometimes with interference from Endora, Sam's mother, who always opposed this marriage) she usually does and that always take them to unexpected situations. However, by the end of each episode they are always fixed, and everything seems to go just fine.

Later on the series the couple has a baby, who also seems to have magical powers. This takes the show into even more unexpected adventures, but the love of Darrin and Samantha always surpass everything, despite the many troubles that Endore puts them into.

So, why should people watch this show? Well, it is REALLY funny and unexpected, so people will nevcer know what will happen in each episode, turning it into one of the funnier series released back on those days.
  • a wonderful show that has a catchi song to it

i think this show bewitched even though i was not from that decade i was from the 90s i still watched every ep and own all the boxsets to the show . bewitch was about a witch that fell in love with a mortal man and they live togeather and the show is well putogeather by using her powers to help out situations for her or him. the people around them think something funny is going on all time. like one ep where she is spieing on the new neighbors with banockulars. i think this show was realy good and that is why i gave it a 7.5
  • show was ok,,

good show but thought that dick York was the best of the Darren's, didn't like how the husbands treated theirs wife's around that time ,to much ordering around ,, would love to see out takes on that show some day ,if available, , , just to see how the green back ground worked, isn't that fellow who was on that show as well as the love boat still around? the fellow who played dr Bombay and the kids are still around,,on web site didn't say anything about the Bernie fellow ,
  • wiggle, wiggle, wiggle

Something goes wrong with Darren, usually because of Endora (Samantha’s mom) and Sam has to use witchcraft to help solve the problem even though she promised Darrin she would use it. Darrin is mad but gets over it. This was like every episode. Sometimes it wasn’t Endora but Sam’s cousin, Serena. Later in the season Sam gave birth to a little witch Tabitha who, when she was young, couldn’t control her powers. And somehow Darrin’s boss/partner, Larry, never found out. The show didn’t have brand new plots every episode but there was something great about it. Such staying power as it is still showing and the DVD’s are selling.

Who didn't want to be able to wiggle their nose and make things happen??
  • About a witch who tries to be a human

I havent watched that many episodes yet but so far I like this show. I started watching this show when the movie Bewitched came out and I thought the movie was funny so I tried out the show and I ended up likeing the show alot. I think the concept of the show is great.
  • I only began watching reruns on Prime Network. Once I began watching it became quite funny for its time and have watched parts of Season 1 and Season 2 episodes. My favorite on Bewitched is Samantha, and Uncle that plays jokes on Samantha's husband. Each

Bewitched is a great classic show. Glad to see it re-runed on weekends. It's also great to see Bewitched released on dvd as well. Keep up the great work!!! I was dissapointed however when I heard about the movie coming out, don't get me wrong Nicole Kidman is great but some shows are meant to be left on tv.
  • Love it

Samantha and Darren are madly in love with each other and marry. Samantha reveals during the honeymoon that she's a witch. Darren is all right with that, but his meddling mother-in-law, who wanted Samantha to marry a warlock, isn't. The classic show revolves around Samantha masquerading as a mortal, trying to hide her magic from her nosy neighbors and fending off her mother.
  • Elizabeth Montgomery is wonderful!

Elizabeth Montgomery is wonderful! This show is great you have to check it out reruns reruns reruns. I am so glad tvland is reairng it it is such a good show Bill Asher Liz make a great team! I have always loved this show it's ashame the movie runied it why does hollywood do stuff like that?
  • Such a novel idea for a show when it debuted. This show started the whole supernatural/fantasy sitcom run---I Dream Of Jeannie, The Addams Family, The Munsters,The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. I think people liked the escapism of magic powers, the freedom of twi

When I watch this show now it feels like you have boarded a time machine. I spend half the time looking at the absence of so many things we take for granted in our everyday lives--computers, cell phones, microwaves, to name a few. The overabundance of drinking and smoking is funny to see, and a bit worrisome. They thought nothing of drinking at the drop of a hat and driving.
    I could never understand how Sam was so patient with her demanding husband. He was constantly trying to squeeze her into this mold of the perfect wife--which she agreed to try and be--while her mother, Endora tugged on her to be herself and enjoy all the fun and freedom of being a witch.
    There are so many layers to this show, the more you watch, the more you see.
    Unfortunately, the show lost much of its luster when the new Darrin appeared. Those last few seasons, Sam seemed to be just saying her lines and wasn't having as much fun as she seemed to be having in earlier seasons.
  • This is a really great show...

This show always had something coming around the corner and it always had a new suprise. You could never guess what was going to happen next. It's a bad thing that this show got cancelled and I wish it never did. This shows has been so influential and so amusing and entertaining that I can't figure out why it got cancelled in the first place.

More shows to come like this I hope.
  • Forget Nicole - Elizabeth Montgomery was the original and best.

This show is an all time classic. That said it is more than a little cringeworthy to re-watch old episodes. Sexist to say the least. Sam should have told Darren to get over himself and lived her own life instead of turning her back on magic.

But hey ho, it was the sixties after all.

Elizabeth Montgomery sparkles as a witch who marries a human and tries to live the life of a domestic housewife in American suburbia. Needless to say, magic follows her wherever she goes. When the actor playing husband Darren was replaced nobody batted an eyelid - this was even mentioned in a future episode of Roseanne when they replaced the actress playing Becky. I don't have strong memories of either actor frankly. Mainly that the second one was rather skinny with the same shaped head.

I wanted to be Tabitha. Sadly no matter how much I tried I was unable to make my nose twitch. I thought that if it did I would be able to make magic myself.

Twas not to be.
  • This seminal series was cotton candy television: sweet, sugary, and totally devoid of nutritional value. But just try to resist it...

From the first tinkling strains of its beginning theme song through the end credits, Bewitched is the closest television gets to a sugar rush.

The weekly, fantastic tale of witch Samantha Stephens, married to mortal Durwood, er, Darwin, er Darrin Stephens featured an incredibly well-written and delightfully acted ensemble cast, including Samantha's meddling mother Endora, Darrin's unprincipled boss, Larry Tate and the perpetually nosy neighbor, Gladys Kravitz.

While the episodes usually revolved around some calamitous event brought on by magic, or Samantha's earnest efforts to avoid using her powers (you see, Darrin has forbidden her to use magic), the show had a knack for lightheartedly touching on issues of the day, while remaining funny and accessible. The series spawned numerous fantasy-themed copycats, None of them, of course, even approached the unique charm of the original. There is a reason Bewitched has remained in syndication for over 40 years!

One last note: for my money, there is only one Darrin- Dick York is the man, baby!
  • A witch married to an ordinary man cannot resist using her magicical powers to solve the problems her family faces.

Bewitched is a true classic of 60’s television. The sitcom featured delightful and memorable characters who shone in every episode. The plot centers around the hilarious mishaps caused when Samantha uses her magic to solve some of the typical problems associated with being a housewife. Gifted actress Agnes Moorehead portrays Samantha's mischievous, heavily made up, red headed mother Endora who does everything by magic, and detests her daughter's mere mortal husband frequently uses her magic to make the life of her son in law miserable. With Endora always 'popping' in to visit her daughter it's guaranteed that Darrin will be blow his top every time as he and Endora are always at each other's throats. Add to this Samantha and Darrin’s nosy next door neighbour who is constantly trying to catch Samantha using her magic, Darrin’s bossy employer, and the multiple witches and warlocks who habitually interrupt the everyday household routine and you have the making of innocent, yet incredibly funny show which is still highly entertaining all these years later.
  • A childhood memory...

When I was younger, about 7 or 8, I watched Bewitched every night. I saw most every episode, even though I can't remember most. It was a show that we could all watch, I laughed, my parents laughed, and usually at the same jokes. Such is a rarity in today's television. Shows are either for adults or for children, and never for both. Bewitched stands as a memory now, of a time when there was true family programming on television. It's "Barney" or "Law and Order" now, and this is a far bigger problem than "adult content." If nothing else, I hope networks keep airing classic TV for as long as people will watch.
  • Elizabeth Montgomery stars as Samantha Stephens, a pretty, typical American housewife who just happens to be a witch in this beloved comedy classic.

Bewitched still casts an enchanting spell. For escapist fantasy, this series, no doubt broke significant television ground. The Stephens were sitcoms' first mixed marriage. Advertising executive Darrin Stephens (Dick York) was mortal, and wife Samantha (Elizabeth Montgomery) was a witch. According to a retrospective segment included on this four-disc set, the Stephens’s were also the first couple to sleep in one bed! And Samantha's mother, Endora (the venerable Agnes Morehead), and father, Maurice (Maurice Evans) were TV's first separated couple.

Samantha (Montgomery) is a witch who fell in love with and then married the mortal Darrin Stephens (who, for the first couple of seasons, is played by Dick York). Darrin accepts her `heritage' only on the condition that she now refrain from using witchcraft and `settle down' to be a normal American middle-class housewife.

To the horror of her mother Endora, Samantha has agreed to the request. But, Endora ultimately worried over nothing. Samantha herself soon discovers that giving up witchcraft was an impossible promise. Conflict between her promise and an often-more complicated reality drive this series' storylines.

Tensions immediately flare in the first season when an old flame of Darrin's (Nancy Kovak) invites them to a dinner party. Because Shelia Sommers is so obnoxious, Samantha breaks her promise in order to avoid being shown up in front of her husband. Beginning with this episode, Darrin recognizes that he cannot control when Samantha does/does not use her magic, and can only make suggestions. Whether this advice is taken then rests entirely with Samantha.

In "Be it ever so mortgaged" we meet Gladys and Abner Kravitz (Alice Pearce and George Tobias) who are the Steven's next door neighbors.
    "It shouldn't happen to a dog" introduces us to Darrin's boss Larry Tate (David White) and his wife Louise (at this point being played by Irene Vernon). It also previews the many problems Darrin will have working at the McMahon & Tate advertising company.
    "The witches are out" finds Samantha protesting the negative pop culture images of witches traditionally associated with American Halloweens. With the help of her beloved Aunt Clara (Marion Lorne) Samantha convinces an advertising client of Darrin's that using a pretty witch for their candy sales would be a better strategy through changing that executive's appearance.
    Samantha meets her in-laws, Phyllis (Mabel Albertson) and Frank Stephens (Robert F. Simon) during "Samantha meets the folks". Aunt Clara's unexpected return and helping out upsets Darrin who had wanted his parents to believe that Samantha did all the housework by herself.

Aunt Clara makes another great appearance in "There's no witch like an old witch". Aunt Clara is a great babysitter until she accidentally tells the kids that she is a witch. Because witches supposedly do not exist, she is barred from babysitting. Although a judge (who had every reason to doubt her statement of being a witch) is instead impressed with Aunt Clara, the Stephens decide to send her to Miami for a convenient get away vacation with her friends. This will provide time for people to forget what they were told in this episode.

Forty years later, these episodes hold up great. Even the 'black and white' filming of this season is not annoying. Bewitched was head and shoulders above many other sitcoms of the era to begin with.

This was one of my favorite series when I was growing up. It is very humorous, witty, and very good family entertainment. I think one of the differences is that the magic in the original series is a support for the storyline, whereas in some of the imitation series the magic seems to be overdone and takes over the main storyline. This is not the case in the original series though. Elizabeth Montgomery was really outstanding in her role as Samantha and I just love the part when she wrinkles her nose.

This high-concept series' saving grace was that Darrin insisted that Samantha not engage in any "hocus-pocus." But in this first season, she would be compelled to use her extraordinary powers to right social wrongs (such as derogatory-witch stereotypes in the Halloween episode "The Witches Are Out"), champion the underdog (a lonely boy whose overprotective mother won't let him play baseball in "Little Pitchers Have Big Fears"), or to restore a troubled boy's Christmas spirit ("A Vision of Sugar Plums"). Or, she might just want to turn the tables on an insulting former girlfriend of Darrin's (the pilot, "Darrin, Take This Witch, Samantha").
  • Asher levou o projeto para a Columbia Television, para ser apreciado por William Dozier (que depois produziria a série de TV Batman).

Elizabeth Montgomery nasceu em Abril de 1.933 e já nos anos 50 começou a atuar em Tv (mais precisamente em 1.951). Seus pais – Robert Montgomery e Elizabeth Allen – pertenciam ao meio televisivo. Sua primeira aparição foi no programa do pai - Robert Montgomery Presents. Bastante ativa em termos de casamento, seu primeiro matrimônio foi em 1.954 com Frederick Gallatin Gamman. Em 1.957 casou-se com o ator Gig Young. Em 1.963 casou-se com o produtor William Asher, após ter trabalhado com o mesmo no filme Johnny Cool. Foi quando decidiram desenvolver um programa onde ele fosse o produtor e ela a estrela. O projeto concebido por ambos mostrava o dia a dia de um frentista que trabalhava num posto de gasolina, contrapondo-se ao dia a dia da esposa, uma mulher da alta sociedade. O desnível social entre ambos e o eterno conflito entre homem e mulher seriam as bases desse seriado. Asher levou o projeto para a Columbia Television, para ser apreciado por William Dozier (que depois produziria a série de TV Batman). Dozier parece não ter se entusiasmado muito com a idéia mas achou-a parecida com outro projeto, criado em 1.961, por Harry Ackerman. A idéia de Ackerman era mostrar um casal se conflitando, mas não por diferenças sociais e sim porque o homem – um publicitário promissor - casa-se com uma bela feiticeira. Asher gostou da idéia e sugeriu que ambos se unissem na produção da série desde que Elizabeth Montgomery fosse a estrela principal. A partir daí, uniram-se ao grupo de Sol Saks, para desenvolvimento do episódio piloto.
  • A story of a witch who is trying to live life as a mortal without being discovered.

Although again this show was off the air before I was even born I use to catch the reruns with my grandmother. I loved this show so much because it was about magic (before Harry Potter). The cast made the show come to life for me and I use to try and wiggle my nose like Samantha.
  • Great fantasy show

This was a great show. One of the best black and white shows other than Lassie. There isn't to many fantasy comedies i think of And at the time this was a creative idea. Not to mention it was funny behind it. Most shows or movies with witches is usually scary, but what a different and creative idea to make a comedy.
  • What made the show so wonderful was that is has characters we can all relate to with a twist, witchcraft.

This is classic television at its best. It has an interesting plot, a moral marries a witch. He does not want his wife to use her magical powers. She tries to be good but alas every episode; she is forced to use her magic. The show is fast paced with quick and funny lines. The characters are endearing and realistic. They all have their good and flawed sides. You can relate someone in your own life to each of them. You have the proud husband who wants to make his success on his own. You have the crazy Aunt who is having difficulties with her memories. You have the mother-in-law who feels no man is good enough her wonderful daughter. You have a wife who is trying hard to please everyone in her life. What made the show so wonderful was that is has characters we can all relate to with a twist, witchcraft. In addition, it shows the witchcraft as good.
  • A very good show. It has a rather modern approach to magic and a certain light, fluffy innocence to it that you just don't see nowadays.

I haven't seen every episode, and I'm not sure where the transition from black and white to color took place, but I do know that this is one of my favorite old time shows. It is very funny watching Darren cope with Samantha's inhuman nature day after day and still walking around with a smile on his face and no regrets. I mean, if I had a battle-ax of a mother-in-law like Darren's, I'd slash my wrists. I mean, who wouldn't with Samantha's mother always meddling and popping up where she wasn't wanted. I mean, why hasn't anyone burnt her at the stake yet? If that's all it took, I'd do it myself, with pleasure.
  • Bewitched, the best sitcom ever before it reached the last seasons.

I loved bewitched. The storylines were very intriging and the characters were excellent. The only thing I hated about the shows was the switch in the Darrens. Personally, I did like Dick York better as he added more personality to the character Darren Stephens. Also, It really began to fall when Samantha stopped twitching her nose, which I thought ruined the whole reason for the show. None the less, I will never get tired of watching the repeats of Bewithced, as they were plotted very well and created suspense in every single episode. Hey, it was 1970, you had to do something to keep the show going and the viewers happy.
  • Bewitched was another fantasy show,this one dealing with a witch trying to live in a mortal world with her mortal husband.Samantha was wonderfully played by Elizabeth Montgomery,and over the years there were 2 Darrins,first Dick York,then Dick Sargent

Although Bewitched was another fantasy series,unlike most of the others,which focused on situations arising from use of magic powers or whatever,there was much more emphasis on character development in this series.William Asher(Montgomerys husband at the time)was the creative force behing the series,having cut his teeth on I Love Lucy.The original producer was Danny Arnold,best known for Barney Miller,which was famous for focusing on characters rather than wacky situations.The black and white episodes have a very differant feel from the later color episodes.Of course,it was early in the series,and there was much exploration of the problems of newlyweds,especially as it pretains to a mixed marriages.There was a lot of hidden social commentary as well,though that remained an element throughout the series run.There were many changes in actors over the course of the years besides the Darrins.The first was when Alice Pearce who played nosy neighbor Gladys Kravitz so well,passed away following the 2nd season.And Marion Lorne who portrayed lovable Aunt Clara also passed on during the 4th season.The show became increasingly wacky as the years went on,and it became obvious that it was running out of ideas,when more and more scripts were recycled.By the end,it was clear that Elizabeth Montgomerys heart was not in it any more.But at its best,it was a show with a great deal of heart.And many episodes are still very funny today.
  • i used to watch it when it was on before sabrina.....

i used to watch it when it was on before sabrina,it\'s a pretty cool show.the main reason i watched it though was because of tabitha she is soooooooo cute!ummmm it\'s like the only thing from like that time i\'ve watched and i think it\'s a really cute little show especially you would like it if you actually like grew-up when it was first airing when i\'m not sure when but yeah i think it\'s a nice show especially in like the third season or whatever when tabitha played more of a role in the show but yeah i give it about 9/10.you should watch it if you havn\'t seen it already which you probably have.
  • A good Show

A show about a witch that is married with a human and try to not use her magic an live a normal life sound fun. This show is one of my favorites talking about classic. I saw this show after I see I dream of Jeanie. The remarke of Bewithed, The movie was good. This show is very good and I want that this show it will be for this age because is old and I like the show of the 90's and 2000 and is strange that I like one show before that years. Because of this another show that I like is Sabrina The Teenage Witch
< 1 2 3