Bewitched (1972)

ABC (ended 1972)

mrdivot

Bewitched (1972) Fan Reviews (81)

• What do you get when a beautiful young witch marries a mortal? Why, that's easy! One of the funniest and best television sit-coms of the 1960s!

Darrin and Samantha Stevens are like any other happily married young couple in 1964 America ... Well, not QUITE like every other couple because while Darrin is as normal as the day is long, his beautiful wife just happens to be a bona-fide witch!

"Bewitched" ran for eight wonderful seasons with Elizabeth Montogery, Dick York, Dick Sargent, Agnes Moorehead and a host of guest stars entertaining us with their antics, magical and otherwise, week after week.

Darrin is a hard-working advertising executive who works for the firm of McMann and Tate. His boss, Larry Tate, is more concerned about money than anything else but Darrin wants to do a good job and win the respect of his boss as well as his clients.

Darrin loves his wife very much - it's just her relatives he can't cope with; mother-in-law Endora, dotty Aunt Clara, annoying Uncle Arthur and vivacious Cousin Serena just to name a few.

Darrin does his best to hide the fact that Samantha is a witch from his family, friends and colleagues, but this isn't always easy, especially when Endora (superbly portrayed by Agnes Moorehead) does everything in her power to make his mortal existence as difficult as possible. No wonder he loses his temper upon occasion!

This show is a timeless classic which can be enjoyed again and again. The whole family will love it!
  • A childhood memory...

When I was younger, about 7 or 8, I watched Bewitched every night. I saw most every episode, even though I can't remember most. It was a show that we could all watch, I laughed, my parents laughed, and usually at the same jokes. Such is a rarity in today's television. Shows are either for adults or for children, and never for both. Bewitched stands as a memory now, of a time when there was true family programming on television. It's "Barney" or "Law and Order" now, and this is a far bigger problem than "adult content." If nothing else, I hope networks keep airing classic TV for as long as people will watch.
  • Great Show

I love this show, I loved it as a child and I still love it today.
  • Original and a Classic.

This show is by far the best supernatural tv show ever created. Not only is the star Elizabeth beautiful, but she's smart and has a warm caring personality. There are so many great episodes it's hard to decide which one is the best. This is a classic original creations. I don't think the new movie will be better than the original tv series, but at least it honors the show.
  • One of the best sitcoms at that time, and personally I think it still is. The humor and characters are Top-Notch in this series.

I sometimes like to watch the classics like shows and movies. Bewitched is truely a classic series. I enjoyed watching the series a lot. Many people knd of ignore these classics, which is a little sad. I just hope that more people will give this Comedy series a chance to watch it.
  • A very good show. It has a rather modern approach to magic and a certain light, fluffy innocence to it that you just don't see nowadays.

I haven't seen every episode, and I'm not sure where the transition from black and white to color took place, but I do know that this is one of my favorite old time shows. It is very funny watching Darren cope with Samantha's inhuman nature day after day and still walking around with a smile on his face and no regrets. I mean, if I had a battle-ax of a mother-in-law like Darren's, I'd slash my wrists. I mean, who wouldn't with Samantha's mother always meddling and popping up where she wasn't wanted. I mean, why hasn't anyone burnt her at the stake yet? If that's all it took, I'd do it myself, with pleasure.
  • Didn't everyone want to have magic powers when they were younger?

I loved this show because I always wanted to be a witch like Samantha.
    I would practice for hours twitching my nose!
    I always hoped that I had long lost relatives like Endora to come and tell me I was one.
    Endora was wacky and a favorite of mine.
    I also thought Tabitha was so cute.
    I loved see what pickles they would get themselves into.
  • Witches!

Various ep (09, 14)
    "Classic"

Didn't everyone want to have magic powers when they were younger? I loved this show because I always wanted to be a witch like Samantha.
    I would practice for hours twitching my nose!
    Endora was wacky and a favorite of mine.
    I also thought Tabitha was so cute.
    I loved see what pickles they would get themselves into.

but hate it sme times when i wach it i just feel like aaa you now riht right come come come comecome come come com on on on no no on no
  • Although this show is over 20 years before my time, it's still an excellent show and a personal favorite of mine.

The story of a mortal marrying a witch is pretty interesting. Especially since the mortal doesn't want the witch to use her magic anymore, but she does anyway (even when she tries hard not to).

Elizabeth Montgomery is simply adorable and very loveable playing the witch, Samantha (Sam). And she makes the nose twitch look so much fun. And although I have tried to attempt do the nose twitch (as I'm sure many of you have, too), I haven't had much success.

Dick York does very well at being the mortal, Darrin. And I definitely prefer him to Dick Sargent, who played Darrin in later seasons after Dick York was unable to continue doing the show.

Agnes Moorehead does an excellent job at being Sam's witchy mother, Endora. Endora has always been a favorite of mine, and it is very interesting to see the things she comes up with to try to end Sam and Darrin's marriage.

Diane & Erin Murphy are sooooooooo cute as little Tabitha (Sam and Darrin's daughter).

It's always hilarious when the neighbor Gladys Kravitz (Alice Pearce, later played by Sandra Gould) witnesses Sam's magic, and her husband, Abner (George Tobias), never does. Which makes her look and sound like she's crazy.

Of all the relatives of Sam's that are always "popping in", Aunt Clara (Marion Lorne) is definitely my favorite. Clara is very old and forgetful and is always messing up her spells. But she is extremely lovable, and has a hobby of collecting doorknobs.
  • I loved Bewitched. I have been watching it since it first started. I liked Samantha Stephens played by Elizabeth Montgomery because she is one of my favorite characters in the show.

Bewitched was a sophisticated ensemble situation comedy (considered light and fluffy by some) featuring relevant cultural themes in a fantasy context.

For years the main characters have remained in the story. Others came and went sometimes for short periods and sometimes for many episodes.

They helped to make the story more exciting.
    Some of the main chracters were Samantha, Darrin, Tabitha, Endora and Larry.

Each episode was a story on its own but it formed part of the whole story.
  • Basically boy meets witch, mortal and advertising executive Darrin Stephens.Witch Samantha always wanting a life seperate from magic and taking on the housewife role.Darrin is qite happy with Samantha's powers.Disapproving mother-in-law, Endora,when anger

With Witch Samantha and mortal Darrin, Endora the meddling mother in-law make this tale one to enjoy and poor old Mrs.Kravitz who always seems to see what she ain't meant to see.
    I wish this show was still on, sometimes it's silly, sometimes it's strange but above all this is one show that will stay with me to the grave!
  • Bewitched Is the Best Of The 60's

I give Bewitched a 9 out of 10 only for one reason towards the end of the series it started to get to hoaky they satrted repeating stories and it just all went down hill when Dick York lest. I remeber the show when NICk at Nite showed it and then when TV land showed it and then when UPN showed nut then it dissapered and has not been on TV for at least three or four years. This show has class and is'nt filled with all the sexuael refrences and language that todays tv is shoing. The show is avaliable on DVD well at least the F 1,2,3,4 season. Come on Sony and Bring the rest out!!!!!
  • Elizabeth Montgomery stars as Samantha Stephens, a pretty, typical American housewife who just happens to be a witch in this beloved comedy classic.

I absolutely love this show. As a child I would dream about being like Samantha and being able to just twitch my nose to get things and go places. I still admire the show greatly. I recommend it to all. It is a great family show and is often hilarious. Endora who is played by Agnes Moorehead is one of the best characters in this clever comedy. It\'s no wonder this series lasted so long! However; when dick York was replaced by Dick seargent the show immediately went downhill. Dick York was a much better Darrin than Seargent. as for Elizabeth Montgomery; she was fabulous in this wonderful comedy. Overall; I love Bewitched and you will too :)
  • I always loved this show! I always dreamt of being a witch when I was younger.

I always loved this show! I always dreamt of being a witch when I was younger. I totally love the way that this family always tries to function as a traditional family unit, but they alway seem to fail! One of Sam's wacky realtives always seems to get in the way, Endora in perticular. The interaction between Endora and Darin is classic. Most men always seem to have complaints about their mothers-in-law, but Darin's complaints are really warranted. Endora never trully accepted Darin into the family, no matter how hard Samantha tried.
    I always loved this show because of the family aspect. Family that included Samatha and Darin's two kids, and all of Samantha's extented family.
  • Samantha Stephens (Elizabeth Montgomery) is a typical American housewife/witch who falls in love with a mortal named Darrin (Dick York). They end up getting married but Samantha family doesn't approved and so the show follows the two and their every day p

Truly Magical those are the only words that can describe Bewitched. It went on the air 1964 and yes it may have gone off in 1972 but it will never leave us. Ever now and then a show comes along that is funny but has serious promblems but in the end they always solve them that's bewicthed. It has given us such great characters as Samantha Stephens, Darrin Stephens,Aunt Clara, Uncle Aurther, and who can forget Endora. This is a great show where kids, there parents and grandparents can watch this show together and remember and created memories together.
  • Tinka tinka tee. This series is a classic. No one was as lovely as Elizabeth Mongomery, no one could play frustrated as well as Dick York. Darrin marries a witch, moves to the suburbs and tries to have a normal life and normal wife. It doesn't work out th

With charming special effects and a great cast, Bewitched is a television classic. The main cast, Elizabeth Montgomery, Dick York and Ms. Agnes Moorhead, were all top notch. The regulars were even better. The cast of strange relatives and even stranger neighbors made the series a real treat to watch every week. The show was so popular that it spawned a spin off and the two main characters also appeared on an episode of The Flintstones in animated form. A real great show for any age. Good clean fun all around!
  • A story of a witch who is trying to live life as a mortal without being discovered.

Although again this show was off the air before I was even born I use to catch the reruns with my grandmother. I loved this show so much because it was about magic (before Harry Potter). The cast made the show come to life for me and I use to try and wiggle my nose like Samantha.
  • Great fantasy show

This was a great show. One of the best black and white shows other than Lassie. There isn't to many fantasy comedies i think of And at the time this was a creative idea. Not to mention it was funny behind it. Most shows or movies with witches is usually scary, but what a different and creative idea to make a comedy.

Bewitched still casts an enchanting spell. For escapist fantasy, this series, no doubt broke significant television ground. The Stephens were sitcoms' first mixed marriage. Advertising executive Darrin Stephens (Dick York) was mortal, and wife Samantha (Elizabeth Montgomery) was a witch. According to a retrospective segment included on this four-disc set, the Stephens’s were also the first couple to sleep in one bed! And Samantha's mother, Endora (the venerable Agnes Morehead), and father, Maurice (Maurice Evans) were TV's first separated couple.

Samantha (Montgomery) is a witch who fell in love with and then married the mortal Darrin Stephens (who, for the first couple of seasons, is played by Dick York). Darrin accepts her `heritage' only on the condition that she now refrain from using witchcraft and `settle down' to be a normal American middle-class housewife.

To the horror of her mother Endora, Samantha has agreed to the request. But, Endora ultimately worried over nothing. Samantha herself soon discovers that giving up witchcraft was an impossible promise. Conflict between her promise and an often-more complicated reality drive this series' storylines.

Tensions immediately flare in the first season when an old flame of Darrin's (Nancy Kovak) invites them to a dinner party. Because Shelia Sommers is so obnoxious, Samantha breaks her promise in order to avoid being shown up in front of her husband. Beginning with this episode, Darrin recognizes that he cannot control when Samantha does/does not use her magic, and can only make suggestions. Whether this advice is taken then rests entirely with Samantha.

In "Be it ever so mortgaged" we meet Gladys and Abner Kravitz (Alice Pearce and George Tobias) who are the Steven's next door neighbors.
    "It shouldn't happen to a dog" introduces us to Darrin's boss Larry Tate (David White) and his wife Louise (at this point being played by Irene Vernon). It also previews the many problems Darrin will have working at the McMahon & Tate advertising company.
    "The witches are out" finds Samantha protesting the negative pop culture images of witches traditionally associated with American Halloweens. With the help of her beloved Aunt Clara (Marion Lorne) Samantha convinces an advertising client of Darrin's that using a pretty witch for their candy sales would be a better strategy through changing that executive's appearance.
    Samantha meets her in-laws, Phyllis (Mabel Albertson) and Frank Stephens (Robert F. Simon) during "Samantha meets the folks". Aunt Clara's unexpected return and helping out upsets Darrin who had wanted his parents to believe that Samantha did all the housework by herself.

Aunt Clara makes another great appearance in "There's no witch like an old witch". Aunt Clara is a great babysitter until she accidentally tells the kids that she is a witch. Because witches supposedly do not exist, she is barred from babysitting. Although a judge (who had every reason to doubt her statement of being a witch) is instead impressed with Aunt Clara, the Stephens decide to send her to Miami for a convenient get away vacation with her friends. This will provide time for people to forget what they were told in this episode.

Forty years later, these episodes hold up great. Even the 'black and white' filming of this season is not annoying. Bewitched was head and shoulders above many other sitcoms of the era to begin with.

This was one of my favorite series when I was growing up. It is very humorous, witty, and very good family entertainment. I think one of the differences is that the magic in the original series is a support for the storyline, whereas in some of the imitation series the magic seems to be overdone and takes over the main storyline. This is not the case in the original series though. Elizabeth Montgomery was really outstanding in her role as Samantha and I just love the part when she wrinkles her nose.

This high-concept series' saving grace was that Darrin insisted that Samantha not engage in any "hocus-pocus." But in this first season, she would be compelled to use her extraordinary powers to right social wrongs (such as derogatory-witch stereotypes in the Halloween episode "The Witches Are Out"), champion the underdog (a lonely boy whose overprotective mother won't let him play baseball in "Little Pitchers Have Big Fears"), or to restore a troubled boy's Christmas spirit ("A Vision of Sugar Plums"). Or, she might just want to turn the tables on an insulting former girlfriend of Darrin's (the pilot, "Darrin, Take This Witch, Samantha").
  • Such a novel idea for a show when it debuted. This show started the whole supernatural/fantasy sitcom run---I Dream Of Jeannie, The Addams Family, The Munsters,The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. I think people liked the escapism of magic powers, the freedom of twi

When I watch this show now it feels like you have boarded a time machine. I spend half the time looking at the absence of so many things we take for granted in our everyday lives--computers, cell phones, microwaves, to name a few. The overabundance of drinking and smoking is funny to see, and a bit worrisome. They thought nothing of drinking at the drop of a hat and driving.
    I could never understand how Sam was so patient with her demanding husband. He was constantly trying to squeeze her into this mold of the perfect wife--which she agreed to try and be--while her mother, Endora tugged on her to be herself and enjoy all the fun and freedom of being a witch.
    There are so many layers to this show, the more you watch, the more you see.
    Unfortunately, the show lost much of its luster when the new Darrin appeared. Those last few seasons, Sam seemed to be just saying her lines and wasn't having as much fun as she seemed to be having in earlier seasons.
  • This show could be seen around here a couple months ago, and I have admit it: it is simply great and really fun!

7.2
    This show is about a man (Darrin) who married a girl (Samantha). It would be a simple plot if the girl didn't have magical powers.

Her husband tells her not to use her powers, but across the episodes (and sometimes with interference from Endora, Sam's mother, who always opposed this marriage) she usually does and that always take them to unexpected situations. However, by the end of each episode they are always fixed, and everything seems to go just fine.

Later on the series the couple has a baby, who also seems to have magical powers. This takes the show into even more unexpected adventures, but the love of Darrin and Samantha always surpass everything, despite the many troubles that Endore puts them into.

So, why should people watch this show? Well, it is REALLY funny and unexpected, so people will nevcer know what will happen in each episode, turning it into one of the funnier series released back on those days.
  • Bewitched, One of My Favorite Childhood Shows

I loved this show ever since I was a little girl. I loved Elizabeth Montgomery immensely when I was a little girl. Dick York, I thought was the best Darrin Stephens. He was much funnier than Dick Sargent. I'm very happy that I can watch this show on & Hulu. I'm truly thankful for Internet Television, so that I can watch these favorite shows of mine and reminisce my childhood. Thanks,
  • Love this show.

Love this show as a kid and it's still just as good.
    I watch the Bewitched DVD's all the times, especially when there's nothing good on tv, which is most of the time. I sure wish Elizabeth Montgomery and the other main actors were still alive to read about how much their fans really loved them and the show. There are so many fan websites, and message boards about Bewitched or some of the other actors on the show. The internet has helped Bewitched fans connect and talk about her much we love this great show. Bewitched for life!!
  • great

a classic show about a witch who marries a human. It was one of the frist show to have witch as diffent that they aree put to be. And also this show made it possible for other show just like it. It is a classic that the whole faimly will love to wacth again and again. i just whant to wacth it right now becaues of shows are not what they were back than with funny puns and soem action and good problems the characters sovle. Classic are made once and a life time, so in love them with your heat nad mind.
  • Classic, that says it all!

This classic story of a nose twitching witch is one that will live on forever and ever. This is an old family friendly show that one day when I have kids will be one they must watch every episode. Some shows just never die. They never should die. If only half of todays sitcoms were as wholesome and funny as this one, maybe, just maybe the world might be a better place with fewer violent teens and abusive adults. This is just a good show. period. I only wish that the movie would have lived up to the amazingness that the show had set.
  • One of the best

This is another example of television at it's best. Along with shows like the Andy Griffith Show, Beverly Hillbillies, and I Dream of Jeannie, they set the bar for all other comedies to come along.

This show was cancelled before I was born, but I watched it in re runs forever. In fact if I am flipping through the channels late at night and come across it, I still stop to watch.

The whole premise for the show might have seemed a little controversial back in the day, but it is pretty tame by todays standards. And Elizabeth Montgomery was a damn fine actress. She may be gone, but she will always be remembered.
  • This show is about a beautiful, cauldron-stirring, broom-riding witch named Samantha who falls in love with a mortal named Darrin, of which her mother (Endora) doesn't approve.

This show is amazing, especially the special effects which are very proffesional for being done in the 60's. I think my two favorite characters are Serena and Endora, because they always do what ISN'T allowed and actually make the show interesting and actually fun to watch. The look on Darrin's face when he sees Endora pop in to his room with her SPECIAL ABILITIES (he banned the m word). He looks like a little kid who's ice cream fell on the floor for the 3rd time. But the way Serena does it to him, I'd rather not describe it...
  • A young witch named Samantha marries a mortal named Darrin Stephens and, at Darrin's request, tries to learn to live without witchcraft, even with her magical friends and relatives frequently popping in and out.

A great classic show! Being born in the 80s, Bewitched was well before my time, and it is one of the few classic 60s shows that I really like. When Bewitched premiered in 1964, it was a very original approach to a sitcom. It appealed to everyone, not just a specific demographic. Bewitched's premise of a witch marrying a mortal was fascinating and had not been seen in television previously.

From the very beginning, it was clear that Bewitched would be a smash hit with audiences. There are many aspects of Bewitched that made, and still makes, it appealing to audiences. One of the biggest is the shows trademark of Samantha's nose twitch. It was also great because of how Darrin tried to cope with his sudden exposure to the world of magic. Add to that the constant bickering between Darrin and Samantha's mother Endora, which was a classic portrayal of the problems between mother-in-laws and son-in-laws.

One of the main factors that contributed to the great popularity of Bewitched was the performances given by the cast members. Elizabeth Montgomery's performance of Samantha made her one of America's television sweethearts. Agnes Moorehead's portrayal of Endora was equally great, making her one of America's favorite mothers/grandmothers. Dick York's portrayal of Darrin for the first five seasons is usually a fan favorite. When Dick Sargent took over the role in season six, his performance caused the show to drop in ratings and popularity. Add to these the characters of Samantha and Darrin's daughter Tabitha (Erin and Diane Murphy); their neighbor Gladys Kravitz (Alice Pearce and Sandra Gould); Darrin's boss, Larry Tate (David White), and his wife Louise (Irene Vernon and Kasey Rogers); Samantha's Aunt Clara (Marion Lorne); and all of the other recurring characters, you have one of the best shows of the 60s.
  • Elizabeth Montgomery was TV's First Sexy Witch

Bewitched in many ways was almost The Liz Montgomery Show until a failed pilot concerning actress Tammy Grimes as a witch was presented to her. What happened was the birth of one of television's best and most loved shows. Liz Montgomery, daughter of actor Robert Montgomery, was beautiful, magical and demurely sexy. Guys watched the show because they were in love with her; they wanted a girl just like her to make their dreams come true. Girls watched because they loved the romance of a husband and wife trully in love with each other. Darren Stephens, played best by Dick York, had to really love Samantha despite the trials and tribulations placed upon him by his mother-in-law Endora, the worst and most mischievous mother-in-law in history. Despite the erotic possibilities Darren missed out on, Samantha could have turned into any woman or divulged into any of his fantasies, the series missed the mark on a lot of paranormal facts, and used its magical setting to unleash a lot of creative license but no credible information about real witches. For example, even if she was a witch, Samantha would not or should have had the ability to time travel or have lived for two hundred years. Tabitha should not have "inherited" her mother's powers. Real witches have to develop their skills and training based on their discipline, training, knowledge and enlightenment of the mystical (not necessarily black ) arts. That's why so many witches are portrayed or considered as old women; my only resolution is that Samantha, Tabitha and even Sabrina much later on must actually be some sort of alternate human race with advanced psychokinetic powers. The series missed the mark with cameos by elves, fairies and ETs. Witches may have recieved powers from pagan deities, but they were never visited by them. The ghost episodes were okay, though, because witches do have low to high perception of psychic phenomenon. On the whole, the series suffered greatly with York's absence and should have stopped there. Dick Sargent was a harder, meaner Darren and less of a romantic than York who even had a sense of humor with the insanity around him. The last three seasons with Sargent were largely the same as they recreated all of York's episodes - a sure sign that the series had run out of ideas.
< 1 2 3