Bewitched (1972)

Samantha and the Loch Ness Monster

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Sep 29, 1971 on ABC

6.1
  • Still in vacation mode, Darrin and Samantha travel to Inverness in Scotland, where they meet a "famous" local resident.

4.5
    I really love the character of Serena, and I think Elizabeth Montgomery did a wonderful job playing the dual roles, but this episode just felt really flat to me as Samantha and Darrin encounter the famous Loch Ness Monster. Of course, as this is a magical show, the monster turns out to be a warlock and not a sea creature after all. Not only that, he lives with all the comforts of home!

This is all just a little bit much to swallow, particularly when the "monster" looks more like a child's blow-up swimming pool toy than anything even remotely scary but the show is a comedy and we can make allowances for such things.

Serena and the warlock don't end up getting along very well and she finds herself the recipient of a mermaid's tail. That part, at least, is very funny!