Beyond The Wormhole

Will Sex Become Extinct?

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jun 26, 2013 on The Science Channel

2.8
  • Males are not going extinct

Genetics is not my field. I'm a Bio-Chemist. But still I've read enough recent scientific articles to know that the male gender is not going extinct.

The "expert" that was interviewed in this episode was Jenny Graves. A geneticist who is not taken seriously by her peers. She's never actually contributed anything that has withstood the peer-review system at all. This whole hypothesis of hers is nothing but conjecture with no real evidence behind it. I can't believe that the producers actually thought they should just take her side without consulting the vast majority against the "rotting Y-chromosome"-hypothesis.

Just like another user by the name of IrwinBalaster I urge you to google these headlines: "The y files - Genome British columbia", "Men Not Going Extinct After All - Newser", "Men's Y chromosome is not about to go extinct - NewScientist", "Scientist Says Men Will Go Extinct, Despite Debunking of "Rotting Y Chromosome Theory - counselheal".

Also it's falsely suggested that males are more aggressive than females. Google these headlines as well: "Biology Does Not Make Men More Aggressive Than Women - Culture of peace", "Testosterone Does Not Induce Aggression, Study Shows - ScienceDaily".
  • Seriously???

1.5
    They made this sound this sound so real, if it hadn't been on the scifi channel I'd most likely have believed it. This idea is ridiculous! How are you going to tell your child he/she was grown in a lab? What about the kids in the adoption centers that don't have parents? God made women lactate for a reason and it wasn't for them to grow their children in labs, they can't breast feed that way, and you may be thinking you can't breast feed either if you adopt either and you'd be correct, but you'd at least be giving a parent less child a parent and not making another child and leaving the children in the adoption centers without a parent, and why would you do this, just to have your DNA? Sounds kinda selfish to me. Trying to rate this as 1, but it keeps changing it to 1.5 oh and Morgan, you are an amazing actor with an amazing voice but if they contine with episodes like this do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.
  • A lot of scientifical falsehoods

I'm a biology student and I was appalled at this installment. Sure, this show is very sensationalized and hypothetical, but that is not an excuse to spread pure inaccuracies. Ok look. The male XY-chromosome has deteriorated the last 200+ million years. But the notion that males would go extinct because of this has been thoroughly refuted.

Since links are not allowed, just google these headlines of scientific articles: "The y files - Genome British columbia", "Men Not Going Extinct After All - Newser", "Men's Y chromosome is not about to go extinct - NewScientist".

• Scientifically inaccurate and questionable portrait of the male gender.

It's claimed in this episode that the male XY-chromosome is about to go extinct. This is simply not true.

Also I must say that the way masculinity and the male gender was presented had clear demeaning overtones. Especially the bit where they compare chimpanzees with bonobos. Claiming that the female-dominant bonobo culture was more peaceful. The fact that this was claimed as they also revealed that the female bonobos formed gangs and bullied the male bonobos made it clear that some ideological/social stance took prevalence over actual truth. Bullying is not peaceful.

Also it has been proven time and time again that males are NOT more aggressive than females.