Big Brother (Australia) Forums

Daily 7:00 PM on Channel NineIn Season

Assignment Complete - Thanks To Everyone Who Helped (Please delete this topic)

Freo_Dude

[1]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 36
    Sorry for posting this here, but this is the most popular Australian-user forum and i know people will reply. My assignment is due TOMORROW and i haven't completed the most important section - a survey.

Please answer the following questions:
    *What does it mean to be Australian?
    *Do all Australians live the same lifestyle?
    *Is there a typical Australian? (meaning: is there anyone that you know that acts/looks like an aussie icon - thats what my teacher told me it means).

I would have made up the aswers to these questions, but i really can't think of any. The assignment requires at least ten (10) people to be surveyed.
    Edited on 07/26/2006 4:22am
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Tom-lost

[2]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 7
    Sure...lol goodluck with your assignment:

It means that you take pride and respect in the fact that you are Australian.

No..there are many different lifestyles. Some are more laid-back than others. Some are more fun than others. It depends on who you are, but as long as you respect your country than you are "Australian".

*Is there a typical Australian? (meaning: is there anyone that you know that acts/looks like an aussie icon - thats what my teacher told me it means.
    Umm..Johnny Howard ahahaha (just kidding). I dont know. The stereotypical ones are people like Steve Irwin and that Crocodile Dundee guy. Hmmm i dont know really..

Will732

[3]Jul 25, 2006
    • level: 54

Well Uni starts up again next week, so maybe this can warm my brain up.

Being Australian means subscribing to what we see as being our national identity. Or, quite simply, it means being able to say with confidence "I am Australian."

Absolutely not. There are a great deal of people who still live a "traditional" outback lifestyle, that of the laid-back Aussie battler. At the same time, the majority of our population live in cities, living as part of a more globalised, westernised culture. And there are many who are able to find some kind of middle ground between the two, such as farmers who actively use modern technology and the Internet or those living in suburbia who still relax and drink beer on the weekends with their mates.

*Is there a typical Australian?

Are you asking for actual examples, or are you asking if it is possible to define the "typical example" of an Australian. I'll answer the latter, because while I do indeed think it is very much possible to say what a typical Australian is, it is important to consider the transformation that our cultural identity has gone through even in just past fifty years.

In times gone by, the typical Australian was someone who embodied values of mateship, the laid-back, rough-cut ("where the bloody hell are ya?") male, the "blokey bloke", etc. These traditional ideas have been expanded (or in the eyes of some, "destroyed") in more recent history with notions of multiculturalism, and how the dynamic of our culture is affected by others. Identity may be in the eye of the beholder however - those who took part in the Cronulla riots would certainly disagree that multiculturalism is an Australian value.

It is interesting to note though that in modern times, our idea of what constitutes a "typical Australian" has weakened somewhat. I personally do not have a firm idea of what a typical Australian is. This is no doubt a symptom of the globalisation that I mentioned earlier, I now see myself and those around me as being a typical "westerner", as opposed to a typical Australian.

----

Sorry Freo if that's too long, but I've done countless essays etc on this kind of thing, and I've always been interested in what constitutes a national identitiy, so I've got plenty of thoughts on the issue

Here's an article on changing Australian values that you might find handy:
    http://www.abc.net.au/wordmap/rel_stories/dob-in.htm

It's short, but might be useful for some quotes.
    Edited on 07/25/2006 10:20pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Freo_Dude

[4]Jul 26, 2006
    THANK YOU SOOO MUCH BOTH OF YOU...

'Will732, doesnt matter if its long (at least its a survey)... the longer, the more marks i might get.

(i only have 5 surveys and need 5 more

Edited on 07/26/2006 12:39am

aplourey

[5]Jul 26, 2006
    • level: 34
    did you get my answers

Freo_Dude

[6]Jul 26, 2006
    yup i got yours... thanks...

the staff deleted the other thread ...i'm so pissed off at them. why did they have to delete it

alexlips

[7]Jul 26, 2006
    • level: 52
    What does it mean to be Australian?
    To me, being Australian isn't a look or a way or doing things. Yes, Australians cans have certain looks but I feel that being Australian means that you have an 'Aussie heart' and you support Australia all the way in everthing!

Do all Australian live the same lifestyle
    Of course not Australia is a mulitcultural country and there are many different natinalities in it so no.

Is there a typical Australian
    I see the 'typical' Aussie being a really relaxed, layed back person who enjoys a good Aussie barbique from time to time, loves his beer and speaks kike an Aussie!

Sorry about the spelling, you know me freo!

Freo_Dude

[8]Jul 26, 2006
    THNAKS SO MUCH ALEX...

lol, it'll be hard when the biggest loser returns... if you write any summaries lol, there better not be any mistakes.