Big Brother (Australia) Forums

Daily 7:00 PM on Channel NineIn Season

Gretel's got the boot!

AUSCris

[1]Oct 27, 2007
    • level: 7

read the article for yourself (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=311675)

"Big Brother host Gretel Killeen is leaving the controversial reality television series, according to an online news report.

Killeen, 46, departs after seven years as host as part of a major re-vamp for the show.

The Ten Network series has struggled under falling ratings and an industry source said Killeen is the "the first on the list" to go.

"It's been in need of a face lift for at least the last two seasons," an industry source said to the Daily Telegraph.

The series' 2005 runner-up Tim Brunero told ninemsn that Big Brother would be losing a "huge asset" in Killeen, whom he said brought an "enormous gravitas and intellect to the show".

"She's a highly intelligent woman and in its most crass moments she made Big Brother look c lass," he said.

"She was a professional operating with a live audience on a very high-rating show, with someone in her ear giving her instructions at all times.

"She managed to steer house mates through some very difficult and emotional situations.

"She was firm with the boys and a mother to the girls."

The latest Big Brother series attracted an average audience of 1.9 million viewers, down from its peak of 2.9 million in 2004.

And while Killeen enjoys a large fan base, some have used online blogs to criticise the long-running host as being too harsh on the show's contestants.

Brunero said: "Sure, she had her moments where she was ratty with some of the boys but after over 100 interviews with evictees I think she's allowed to make a mistake or two.

"When I was on the show, people talked about the prize and maybe winning the money and being famous, but they also all talked about how excited they were to sit be able to on stage with Gretel."

The next Big Brother hosts are believed to be Mikle Goldman and Natalie Bassingthwaighte.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Julsus

[2]Oct 28, 2007
    • level: 35
    I heard this too! I really liked Gretel. I like Mike too! But he's good behind the scenes & with Uplate, etc...I wouldn't really want that to change!

Julsus

[3]Oct 28, 2007
    • level: 35
    Now apparently it's Kyle & Jackie O who are gonna host the show next year!

halz84

[4]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 13
    yeah, heard that about Kyle and Jackie O. thats a bit weird. kyle is everywhere! thought he was moving to LA to be with his fiance more... and was gonna do his radio from there. so um, how the hell would he do BB??
    what do ppl think of them as hosts?? wonder what having 2 will be like? do think it was time for a change from gretel though... she just seemed to get more bitter as it went on!

PiperPrueLover4

[5]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 18
    I hate this idea- Gretel was one of the best things about Big Brother and cutting her out of it is like cutting out the show's entire persona. This is a big mistake and I hope Big Brother pays dearly for it.

Kyle and Jackie-O are rather soulless choices for her replacement, they really botched this facelift. However in their defence it is a MUCH better choice than Mike Goldman, if he were the main host I would not watch the show fullstop.

Summer114

[6]Dec 17, 2007
    • level: 1
    That's too funny

Atmospheric0286

[7]Dec 31, 2007
    • level: 9
    Am I the only one who's happy Gretel's gone? I'm just glad that BB's getting the makeover it so desperately needs. Kyle and Jackie O wouldn't necessarily be my first choice as replacements but I think for the most part they'll be okay. Now they just need to get rid of Mike Goldman...

Will732

[8]Jan 3, 2008
    • level: 54
    Atmospheric0286 wrote:
    Am I the only one who's happy Gretel's gone? I'm just glad that BB's getting the makeover it so desperately needs. Kyle and Jackie O wouldn't necessarily be my first choice as replacements but I think for the most part they'll be okay. Now they just need to get rid of Mike Goldman...
    Pretty much agree. Gretel's strength was that she could 'handle' the show - but in spite of that, in the past couple of years she's been b*tchier and less fun than she was originally. It's a difficult move as we all associate Gretel with BB but I think her departure will go a long way towards finally giving the show this long-overdue makeover.

PiperPrueLover4

[9]Apr 3, 2008
    • level: 18
    But B*tchy Gretel was awesome!