Big Brother (Australia) Forums

Daily 7:00 PM on Channel NineIn Season

Who else hates Travis with a passion?

PiperPrueLover4

[41]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 18
    negomi wrote:

PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    Not necessarily Americanised, just a bit more civilised. Rebritish-ised, if you will.
    Unbelieveable!!! Civilised? We arentANIMALS.

We are the luckiest country in the world, not to mention the best, except for a few idiots in Canberra trying to screw us over. I wouldn't want to raise my children anywhere else. We have so much opportunity, freedom and diversity. To make a statement like that is nothing short of unaustralian. You must of forgot where we originally came from...yup, most of us were the British rejects/convicts, and look at us now, hey? They got nothing on us...cant even beat us at sport. I hope we never get "britianized" or whatever you call it, cause our ancestors created this culture, fought for our freedom and built all the foundations that we stand for today, and theres no way in hell I wanna be like anyone else other then a true AUSTRALIAN....Proud, independent and a bloody "bogan" mate !!!

Let me just clarify that I called noone an animal, though I would thank you to calm down and stop acting similar to one.

People often say that we are the luckiest country in the world, but I never see their reasoning behind it. We are drought-stricken and have bushfires every. single. summer. You don't get a lot unluckier than that. And don't get me started on the culture... well I think you know my position on that anyway.

And once again with the flattery... "Unaustralian" is what I shoot for

And Britain have plenty 'on us'. They have rain, for one thing. A mature, classy culture (in most parts) and THE QUEEN (I know most British people tell me they hate her, but I think she's cool). And excuse me if I don't measure a country's success on their ability to play sport. Sport in itself is nothing short of brutish and unintelligent at its core. But I won't start that argument here, that would be TOO far off the topic.

Oh its our ancestors that are to blame for this culture? I won't hold it against them though, because they are the reason for the one good thing about this country: freedom.

I won't even dignify your closing comments with a comment of my own, except don't call me mate.

Now, I think we should go back to talking about Travis before the argument gets too personal.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

s1bbald

[42]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 22
    I'd just like to say that if you are judging your own country on it's extreme weather, then you are nitpicking a bit. We are called the luckiest country in the world because we have the best beaches and a happy-go-lucky attitude. Not to mention we have a reasonable good set-up where everyone gets a fair go. If you are blaming our ancestors for our problems, then you are contradicting yourself by talking up the British. I agree to disagree and I'm sorry if I seemed agressive, but I love this country and it really peeves me off to hear someone else can it when there are so many good things about it. The glass is half full, not half empty.

PiperPrueLover4

[43]Jun 18, 2007

And half full is the best the glass will ever get. Not to worry, you didn't sound agressive.

I think that beaches are about as valid an argument as the weather.

Negomi brought up our ancestors, not me. I am talking about the culture only.

Edited on 06/18/2007 3:52am

s1bbald

[44]Jun 18, 2007
    You've got to look at the positives that we have, the people are very accepting and (Cronulla aside) we are nowhere near as racist as America or Britain. Can you explain again what it is you actually don't like, the way we talk aside.

anablu

[45]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 27
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    negomi wrote:

PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    Not necessarily Americanised, just a bit more civilised. Rebritish-ised, if you will.

We are the luckiest country in the world, not to mention the best, except for a few idiots in Canberra trying to screw us over. I wouldn't want to raise my children anywhere else. We have so much opportunity, freedom and diversity. To make a statement like that is nothing short of unaustralian. You must of forgot where we originally came from...yup, most of us were the British rejects/convicts, and look at us now, hey? They got nothing on us...cant even beat us at sport. I hope we never get "britianized" or whatever you call it, cause our ancestors created this culture, fought for our freedom and built all the foundations that we stand for today, and theres no way in hell I wanna be like anyone else other then a true AUSTRALIAN....Proud, independent and a bloody "bogan" mate !!!

Let me just clarify that I called noone an animal, though I would thank you to calm down and stop acting similar to one. People often say that we are the luckiest country in the world, but I never see their reasoning behind it. We are drought-stricken and have bushfires every. single. summer. You don't get a lot unluckier than that. And don't get me started on the culture... well I think you know my position on that anyway. And once again with the flattery... "Unaustralian" is what I shoot for And Britain have plenty 'on us'. They have rain, for one thing. A mature, classy culture (in most parts) and THE QUEEN (I know most British people tell me they hate her, but I think she's cool). And excuse me if I don't measure a country's success on their ability to play sport. Sport in itself is nothing short of brutish and unintelligent at its core. But I won't start that argument here, that would be TOO far off the topic. Oh its our ancestors that are to blame for this culture? I won't hold it against them though, because they are the reason for the one good thing about this country: freedom. I won't even dignify your closing comments with a comment of my own, except don't call me mate. Now, I think we should go back to talking about Travis before the argument gets too personal.

SERIOUSLY? you really feel this way? i feel sad for you, why are you even still here then?

s1bbald

[46]Jun 18, 2007
    anablu wrote:
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    negomi wrote:

PiperPrueLover4 wrote:

Let me just clarify that I called noone an animal, though I would thank you to calm down and stop acting similar to one. People often say that we are the luckiest country in the world, but I never see their reasoning behind it. We are drought-stricken and have bushfires every. single. summer. You don't get a lot unluckier than that. And don't get me started on the culture... well I think you know my position on that anyway. And once again with the flattery... "Unaustralian" is what I shoot for And Britain have plenty 'on us'. They have rain, for one thing. A mature, classy culture (in most parts) and THE QUEEN (I know most British people tell me they hate her, but I think she's cool). And excuse me if I don't measure a country's success on their ability to play sport. Sport in itself is nothing short of brutish and unintelligent at its core. But I won't start that argument here, that would be TOO far off the topic. Oh its our ancestors that are to blame for this culture? I won't hold it against them though, because they are the reason for the one good thing about this country: freedom. I won't even dignify your closing comments with a comment of my own, except don't call me mate. Now, I think we should go back to talking about Travis before the argument gets too personal.

SERIOUSLY? you really feel this way? i feel sad for you, why are you even still here then?

Come on guys, they've brought up a highly controversial topic and I think we need to agree to disagree, because this is starting to become an all out attack.

anablu

[47]Jun 18, 2007
    s1bbald wrote:
    anablu wrote:
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    negomi wrote:

PiperPrueLover4 wrote:

Come on guys, they've brought up a highly controversial topic and I think we need to agree to disagree, because this is starting to become an all out attack.

Seriously im not tryin to attack anyone. i just dont understand all the hate for Australia. I can let it go LOL

s1bbald

[48]Jun 18, 2007
    anablu wrote:
    s1bbald wrote:
    anablu wrote:
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    negomi wrote:

PiperPrueLover4 wrote:

Seriously im not tryin to attack anyone. i just dont understand all the hate for Australia. I can let it go LOL

I understand. I think it's time we all let it go, because this is going to get anyone anything except for a ban.

PiperPrueLover4

[49]Jun 18, 2007

Lol I will clarify, possibly more clearly. I don't hate EVERYTHING about Australia- I tend to exaggerate when someone ticks me off. I recognise, for example, that the education system is better than nearly anywhere in the world and I am very thankful for that.

It is mainly the extreme, often frightening (e.g. drought, bushfire, as I said in a previous post) that has caused my major bitterness toward the country, but this was really just salt in the wound. I still don't understand how we are the luckiest country in the world...

The main reason is the culture, which Travis (in an attempt to bring it back to the original topic) embodies in an amplified manner- the "mate", "g'day", "strewth", "hooroo" (I shudder to even type these words) and the overall relaxedness of the culture that really annoys me- and the way the rest of the world must see us ALL because of the half of us that still use this... lifestyle. And Travis uses this, PLUS a series of his own madeup bogan words, and the excessive use of the letter 'o'. The incessant nicknames for things, places and each other really "get my goat" (shudders again) too. I just think it is time to leave that sort of thing behind in favour of more sophistication. Also, I suppose it doesn't help that is was mainly the bullies all through primary school (and most of high school) that have used this sort of language and culture.

And anablu, in response to your question, I am still here because of the aforementioned education system, and because I am 16 and am still being supported by my parents. Glad to clear it up.

Also want to clear up that I don't hate Travis because of all this, it just makes him very annoying to watch. I'm sure he is a very nice person.

I am seriously surprised that this thread has lasted this long lol.

Edited on 06/18/2007 3:37pm

anablu

[50]Jun 18, 2007
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:

Lol I will clarify, possibly more clearly. I don't hate EVERYTHING about Australia- I tend to exaggerate when someone ticks me off. I recognise, for example, that the education system is better than nearly anywhere in the world and I am very thankful for that.

It is mainly the extreme, often frightening (e.g. drought, bushfire, as I said in a previous post) that has caused my major bitterness toward the country, but this was really just salt in the wound. I still don't understand how we are the luckiest country in the world...

The main reason is the culture, which Travis (in an attempt to bring it back to the original topic) embodies in an amplified manner- the "mate", "g'day", "strewth", "hooroo" (I shudder to even type these words) and the overall relaxedness of the culture that really annoys me- and the way the rest of the world must see us ALL because of the half of us that still use this... lifestyle. And Travis uses this, PLUS a series of his own madeup bogan words, and the excessive use of the letter 'o'. The incessant nicknames for things, places and each other really "get my goat" (shudders again) too. I just think it is time to leave that sort of thing behind in favour of more sophistication. Also, I suppose it doesn't help that is was mainly the bullies all through primary school (and most of high school) that have used this sort of language and culture.

And anablu, in response to your question, I am still here because of the aforementioned education system, and because I am 16 and am still being supported by my parents. Glad to clear it up.

Also want to clear up that I don't hate Travis because of all this, it just makes him very annoying to watch. I'm sure he is a very nice person.

I am seriously surprised that this thread has lasted this long lol.

LOL yeah surprised it hasnt been shut down yet!! but i will just agree to disagree with you on this one!! but ur pretty articulate for a 16 year old!!

bree-ross

[51]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 5
    Omg! I dont think I've seen such an extreme arguement happen on these boards before *feels a bit nervous*

s1bbald

[52]Jun 19, 2007
    I felt I had to mediate before it became racist, which it was bordering on.

PiperPrueLover4

[53]Jun 19, 2007
    Oh it's OK, I'm used to it, I don't think I've told one person about my problems with Australia without having them refute it. I don't see how it could have turned racist, but hey, that's your call.

And bree-ross, you should feel nervous

halz84

[54]Jun 19, 2007
    • level: 13
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    Oh it's OK, I'm used to it, I don't think I've told one person about my problems with Australia without having them refute it. I don't see how it could have turned racist, but hey, that's your call.

And bree-ross, you should feel nervous

question, have you lived anywhere else? if not how do you know enough about other places to compare it to. and for 16 you are very articulate and i admire the fact that everyone has conducted this conversation without it becoming too nasty, etc (unlike lots of other threads on other shows boards i have seen where ppl get extremely rude and nasty) but i would say that maybe your opinion might change as you get older.

and yes, there are many awesome things about australia (education is one of them, there are many others, IMO) there are also bad things. but i just dont see the weather and that as one of them. bushfires are just a reality and if people learnt to live and build houses, etc, taking into account the environment, instead of just doing what they want - then it would be a lot better. and flooding... well, some of it is to do with where ppl build. and droughts? dont farm land that doesnt have high enough waterfall. at least we dont have 6 months dark/6 months light like some countries. or terrible annoying snow like some countries. its all what your preference is... but i dont see how weather makes a terrible country.

oh, and the bully thing. bullies are not just ppl who speak and act bogan, there are many rich, educated ppl who also bully... it goes on everywhere.

but anyways, back on topic. i like travis, his way of speaking can grate on the nerves a bit - but def as not as much as michelle. i just get annoyed by ppl who are loud for no reason...

PiperPrueLover4

[55]Jun 19, 2007
    I haven't lived in other countries but I have been to them. I went to England when I was 5 and then we loved it sop much that we've been back twice since, once of which was last year. It is just so lush and green over there (at least the places I visited) and it is plentiful for everyone. Most of this country is a big desert.

The weather here can become very frightening. I realise this isn't something uniquely Australian, but not a lot of other countries have droughts every other year and they are rarely this severe. I remember seeing a new report sometime last year that it was raining on a farm (not a newsworthy story anywhere else in the world) and there was an 7 or 8-month-old child that had never seen rain before then. The drought feeds into the bushfires and it is just a matter of time before we have no water left to fight them with- then what will we all do? It is just things like this, possibly irrational, that make me think that the weather is a very valid reason.

The atrocious acting on shows like Neighbours, Home and Away etc, don't exactly contribute to the quality of the country.

I just thought of two more things I like about Australia though: Kangaroos and Rachel Griffiths

My opinion may change as I get older, but I know right now that I wouldn't want to raise my children here (but I plan to be rich so I can live wherever I want )

Probably should stay on topic more though (bad threadstarter! *slaps own wrist*). Michelle is very annoying but I am willing to overlook that for the moment just so that the gender balance can be kept in the house. The boys (with Travis-o silently at the helm) have been picking off the girls one by one to get their much-coveted "bachelor pad".

aplourey

[56]Jun 20, 2007
    • level: 34
    Will, maybe you should lock this topic to prevent this flaming war from going on for any longer.

PiperPrueLover4

[57]Jun 20, 2007
    I see no flames, not even figurative ones. It's become rather friendly, actually.

anablu

[58]Jun 20, 2007
    LOL yeah the flames have gone out....we all buddies now!!

s1bbald

[59]Jun 20, 2007
    And we didn't even resort to name calling.

PiperPrueLover4

[60]Jun 20, 2007
    We should be very proud of ourselves lol