Big Brother (Australia)

Daily 7:00 PM on Channel Nine Premiered Apr 01, 2001 In Season

trhaynes

Big Brother (Australia) Fan Reviews (43)

6.9
  • Big Brother is BACK, baby! 08 season is a bit of a corker!

'Tis a difficult thing to review so early in the season. I mean, it's a lot of carry-on, drama, colour and movement, but essentially not much more. At this stage of the game, I feel a bit like a one-year old whose parents are dangling the keys at me to get my attention.

Having said all that, my attention they've got! It's all trash and glamour with housemates like the fabulous Brigitte, whose Paris fixation got tongues wagging from the get-go. And muscle boys like Nobbi and David whose shower scenes are very easy on the eye. We've got some potential controversy BB-style with opinionated bigmouths such as Saxon, a professional boofhead, and Terri who at 52 is the oldest person in the BB house ever (if you don't count Gretel Killeen on her many visists). And the much-maligned "party boy" Corey, whose five minutes of fame is looking somewhat relentless - for good or for bad? That's for us to decide.

Of course there are those who aren't actually likeable per se, but aren't yet overtly offensive enough to warrant a strong opinion one way or the other. But the likes of Bianca, Alice and Ben can't fence sit for too long without some sort of consequence falling upon them.

Major changes to this season are really yet to show their face. Other than the spectacular inclusion of BB Big Mouth 9.30pm Wednesday nights. Tony Squires and Rebecca Wilson gab on about the psuedo-intellectual social aspect of the series, and then seemlessly move onto trashy nudie shots of the housemates that Ten aren't able to show during the family hour. Ex-housemates come on to give their two cents worth, and the constant attack that an ignorant and annoying media tend to give the show is finally addressed in a calm and rational manner, each week. Do NOT miss this show!

So with the first eviction coming this Sunday, who can we kiss goodbye? Dixie is already infuriating with her teary demeanour. If you can't take the heat stay out of the spa bath, Dixie! And save your tears for more substantial dramas later on, like when you reveal the truth about a dying relative or a secret past. And speaking of secret past, what is Travis' story? Someone out there knows and it's bound to be juicy, but juicy enough to keep him in, or chuck him out?

On a more analytical human behaviourist side , this season doesn't appear to have pushed the envelope, so much as just set people up for conflict. It's a time honoured TV tradition, and if it aín't broke don't try and fix it I guess.

Best line of the series so far goes to Brigitte: Terri started chastising her for putting on makeup and tarting herself up of a night time, and without blinking Brigitte reminded her, "We are on camera, you know!" Indeed you are, Brigitte. Indeed you are.