Big Love

A Seat at the Table

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 23, 2011 on HBO

• Bill deals with pressure from the Hill, while tension grows between Barb and Nicki.

I think that what I like about this season of "Big Love" is how much less hectic everything is. It doesn't feel like there's a billion things happening at once. Instead, everything that happens seems to be connected to one singular thing: Bill's seat at Senate and his revelation that he's a polygamist. Suddenly, he's dragged dozens of groups into the public, trying to get them to help get polygamy reform. In theory, it's a nice idea, but it's clear that, as usual, Bill is in way over his head.

So far, I've liked every plot we're being given. Although some were born out of ridiculous events that happened last season (Adelene's pregnancy), it allows the characters to interact with one another in realistic ways that didn't exist last season. I like how Nicki is forcing certain things upon Cara Lynn, not realizing how ridiculous she's being. It's addressing something that's been hinted at for awhile but never fully fleshed out: the fact that Nicki was forced into the life she's in. However, with people like Barb and Margene showing her what freedom looks like, she's realizing how bad her life was with Roman and Adelene.

It should be interesting to see how Alby fits in with Bill's SafetyNet idea and how this new legislation being passed down to destroy polygamy and make it an official crime plays out. All in all, the writers are doing a superb job of taking the show back to its roots. You always hear about shows attempting to go back to their heyday and usually it's all talk and no follow through. However, "Big Love" is doing a great job here. There's a lot going on, but for once, I'm confident that we'll be given some definite answers.