Big Love Forums

HBO (ended 2011)

Series Finale Discussion

Canogaparkcindy

[1]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 49

Thoughts? Opinions?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EdPeixoto

[2]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 3
    I loved the series, but that finally sucked major elephant balls. It couldn't be more cliche than having Bill murdered at the end.

JimmeDK

[3]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 7
    The ending was a surprise for sure. I don't really know that I liked it because it all just ended so suddenly with bill beeing shot.

But in all it was a great series, with an incredible performance by Bill Paxton throughout the show.

fumbduck25

[4]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 7

After the scene with Bill eating the orange I knew he was going to die.

Oranges are symbolic for death (The Godfather, The Sopranos, etc)

Edited on 03/21/2011 12:38pm

Truman_Burbank

[5]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 12
    The finale was interesting. Can't say that I loved it, but I didn't hate it. There were some very good moments, like when Barb took out Nikki and Margene for a drive. That was special.

Bill's death surprised me, but the more I think I about it, the more it makes sense. And honestly, I love that trio of characters/actresses so much, I'd totally continue watching the show if some sort of spin-off were to happen.

Overall, I was pleased with this season. After the disappointment that was season four, I think they mostly managed to rebound. The acting was as good as ever and the writing was definitely more inspired.

I'll miss Big Love.

Shreela

[6]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 8
    After thinking about WHY they ended it the way they did, this is what I came up with: Bill was a powerhouse that refused to be stopped. If they hadn't killed him off, then in our imaginations he would continue like he has been, either with some kind of victory (which might not be wise, considering how closely this story might mirror what could be going on in Utah), or he'd land in jail, which would be very anti-climatic.

But he was really big on the family staying together - no matter what. He was with his wives when he died, as well as in the dining room hug scene. Even though Marj did do her medical cruise, they showed it that she'd already done one and returned to her family. The oldest girl (Amanda) returned and embraced her family's religion again, and they even alluded that Tiney was there.

torque4015

[7]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 18
    I like the fact that Bill gave the preisthood to Barb as the last act for he left this life. Even the show had started to go down hill the last 2 season's it was still a good show and it will be missed.

loreleicorinne

[8]Mar 22, 2011
    • level: 6
    I have a few questions. I don't know if it was relevant (or explained?) but a few scenes before Bill was shot he was seen writing several pages on a yellow legal pad. Any ideas? I thought it would have been brought up later but maybe it wasn't anything. I thought the shooting was OK but at the same time I thought the show wrapped too quickly afterwards. It was clear what Margene was doing... but what about the other women? What is the dynamic like in that relationship when the husband isn't there anymore? I would have been curious to see a "5 years later" ... as cheesy as though can sometimes be.

emiliohh

[9]Mar 22, 2011
    • level: 1
    Hi all! on first, i'm glad we all had the chance to enjoy Big Love, wich is think is the best acted tv series of all times. i also enjoyed everyone's opinion on Finale.
    I have to admit i cried my ass off when i saw bill falling. somehow, it took me by surprise, even when it was predictable (many people wanted to kill him).
    but well...
    bill finally became a holly and had an epiphany. once i dried my eyes i realized that bill had achieved all his goals. and that comforted me.
    i think we all will agree on something: we will miss bill henrickson.
    the henricksons were like part of my life (not troubled to admit it), their struggle was mine, their joy was mine and their suffering was mine.
    RIP bill, you'll be missed!

emiliohh

[10]Mar 22, 2011
    @loreleicorinne: i think barb will be a priest and nicky...well...nicky has issues and Aparently, now she backs up barb like she backed up bill. it shows in the end when they tell marge to call more often. nicky says something like 'barb was so worried'. she refers to barb in the same way she referred to bill, as an authority.

ceyxxx

[11]Mar 22, 2011

Worst...first aid...ever.

Jemadari

[12]Mar 22, 2011
    • level: 12

This series finale was sorta hit or miss with me but I did love to see that Margene finally got to become her own person instead of just Bill's wife which is pretty much what she's been the entire series save this season

LordReiden

[13]Mar 22, 2011
    • level: 25
    It was a good finale. They had to kill Bill, otherwise wanted he or not in the eyes of his church he was becoming a prophet and he didn't want that. In addition the discussion about polygamy in the state senate that he introduced had to be continued without his participation. And the statutory rape allegations would have come true, and they would have sentenced him to jail thus ruining every single idea he introduced. The writers did the only thing they could do in order to preserve the idea of the series is to kill the man behind everything, thus also making him the new Joseph Smith, Jr.
    In conclusion I liked it. It wasn't the best end but it was good. Better than the one Sopranos made.

DerHub

[14]Mar 24, 2011

Yes the ending was a cliche but i didn't see it coming. Did anyone catch the tribute to Six Feet Under on this last episode of Big Love? When Barb, Nicki and Margene were riding in the car it was an obvious tribute to when Lauren Ambrose drove away from CA in the convertible with the Sia song playing in the background. that was my favorite all time ending to any show I've ever watched.

SavoyTruffle

[15]Mar 25, 2011
    • level: 2

I agree that the last season picked up the pace after a pretty dismal previous season. It managed to wrap up several loose threads and resolve some ongoing issues. One thing I have thought about a lot throughout the series is the whole legal question of polygamy as it applies to the Henricksons. When Bill and Barb got divorced so he could marry Nicki, it was pointed out that only he and Barb were legally married, so they needed to divorce so he and Nicki could marry. To me this means that Bill only had one "legal" wife and Margene and Nicki were like common-law wives. One could say that Bill and Barb had an open marriage. Notwithstanding the various ethical and moral opinions regarding this type of arrangement, is it really illegal? If a couple has a minister or other religious equivalent perform a marriage ceremony but doesn't obtain a marriage license from the state, are they legally married? If not, who could stop either party from going out and getting married again? I realize the show is fiction and laws vary from state to state, but if there are no multiple state-licensed marriages in play, what grounds does the state have to prosecute? I know they were using the under-age status of Margene to go after Bill, but he also mentioned the possibility of being offered a plea to the lesser charge of polygamy. I'm just curious to know if legally Bill was breaking the law against polygamy in the state of Utah.

NoorBassotti

[16]Mar 25, 2011
    • level: 2
    Does anyone know if this is the end of Big Love or will there be another season?

Canogaparkcindy

[17]Mar 25, 2011
    • level: 49
    NoorBassotti wrote:
    Does anyone know if this is the end of Big Love or will there be another season?
    This is the end.

PhilosopherBat

[18]Mar 26, 2011
    • level: 14
    Shame I will miss this series, it would be interesting to see how they could develop it though!!

1001consejos

[19]Oct 27, 2011

I can´t believe that Bill is dead. But honestly it was the best ending that they could write for this series, because all the seasons were so fantastic,that the ending needed it to be the same...shocking. From my perspective is amazing how the wives developed a truly love for each others, like if they were blood sister. The final hug was sotouching and so full of love. In that momment I realized why the tv series is called Big Love, because love is such an amazing feeling that comes in 100 millions ofshapesand forms...we can´t even describe and discover.