Big Love

Free at Last

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 10, 2010 on HBO

• Season 4 premiere.

7.2
    After all the hype and central focus on Big Love (this was after all one the rare HBO cycles where they only had one new show on a Sunday night) the season premiere seemed a bit slow-moving and anti-climatic. It could be argued that such is the cost of producing an Emmy-nominated drama, but I think we wanted a little more. Why tease us with the prospect of Roman Grant running when we all knew he was dead? If they were going to do that, why not throw us a curve ball and have him survive the attempted murder?

The show is still highly entertained and features one of the most underrated ensembles on TV, but I would be lying if I did not admit to being bored at times throughout this episode. Let us hope the rest of the season is an improvement.
  • Season 4 Premiere

New beginnings for Big Love, and you can tell with the first couple scenes from the episode. New arcs are opening up as all the story lines from that past 3 seasons have closed up. I got a different feel from Big Love, and I noticed that the show is different, but I've accepted that and I've come to realize that was the the writer's intention.

When Amanda Seyfried came on this show on 2006, she was barely a rising star, but now she is a movie star and I just felt that the one scene in the episode was basically telling viewers the Sarah character has run her course. I don't know if Amanda Seyfried will be present next season, or have a story line this season, but it just feels like the only thing holding Amanda is her contract. Other than the Ben & Sarah scenes kept to a minimum, this was a good premiere. It was good enough all things considered. I love how were getting more subtle development with Alby and his homosexuality. To have connections with Dale really surprised me. Now that Roman is dead, the family can move on. But you can just tell from the new theme song, that the family's problems are far from over, and I can't wait to see what's in store for Big Love.