Big O

Cartoon Network (ended 2003)

Big O Fan Reviews (18)

• Kicks gundam's big metal ass.

This show is one of my favorite animes. I love how it is different then most giant robot shows. These things are big and slow (Unlike a Gundam). The MegaDueses are very interesting. Their orniments are decently simple. What they lack in speed they make up for in power. I did a little research and found out what Mega Duese means. Mega= Big Duese= God. So Big God and these things are big. This show got me and a friend interested in robotics back when we were kids. We wanted to make giant robots just like this. I preferred the first season over the second. I do wish that this show got a third season.
  • One of the best Animes to watch.

In Big O we meet Roger Smith who is Paradigm City's top negotiator. Forty years ago, the people of Paradigm City lost their memories. Roger Smith was once a Paradigm police officer, until he found Big O - or when Big O found him. Now Roger Smith uses Big O to defend the city against other MegaDeus who want to destroy the city. On one of his negotiations he was asked to help get the daughter of a inventer who had been kidnapped back. You'll have to watch to see what happens next, but if you like anime this show is a classic. I enjoyed watching Big O.
  • One of the most underated anime's.

It's about a man named Roger who meets this girl named R. Dorothy and Roger as well pilots a robot called The Big O and Roger as well has a butler I forgot his name and then as well there are these people who pilot giant robots as well and are evil. This series is underated for those of you who love/hate anime this is one of the best. Most giant robot anime's don't have much action but this cerntinaly does I wish it was still on the air but it was taken off for stupid lame Adult Swim originals (i.e. Aqua Teen Hunger Force, 12 oz mouse, squidbillies, Tom goes to the mayer) please bring this back.
  • My personal favorite anime. I recommend this anime to every anime fan out there. The plot is good even though it may be confusing at times, but I think that it is a near perfect show, and I think that it is underrated quite a bit.

A brilliant anime indeed. I think that this show starts off well, in that the first few episodes give us a good insight into the personalities of some of the characters. These personalities are more and more revealed as the show goes on.

The main thing that the show deals with is memories, and how these memories can effect people's lives. In the world of Big O, a catastrophe happened 40 years ago and everyone lost their memories. Some people allow their destiny to be governed by their memories which a few people in Big O do. One of my favorite things is that memories are treated as an actual object, in that memories can be captured and also destroyed by people. Of course, Big O is an anime with giant robots, some people say that they don't really contribute to the show that much however. I think that Big O could have been just as good without them, but I still think that they contribute to the show.
  • Wish Cartoon Network agreed to a season 3.

BIG O was a unique show, with a good concept. Having everyone in the worlds memories erased and no one knows what happened, but everyone has clued inside of their minds. It reminds me a little of the movie DARK CITY. It had a nice twist on the Giant Robot anime, instead focusing on the characters and story. The story was great, you couldn't stop watching. All the twists and turns along the way in search of the what happened forty years ago. The story and characters were the best part of the show. The music was great, the animation was pretty good, and the action was good. The ending was great, but I still have no idea what really was going on. That's why I wish Cartoon Network had agreed to a season 3. I guess it just wasn't popular in both Japan and the USA.
  • roger smith, paradigm city's negotiater and secret hero, finds hinself trapped in a city that lost its memory 40 years ago, why nobody really knows, you just have to watch it to see.

A great anime i give a 9 because it was one of the very first anime that i ever saw way back when. A good show if you like a good backstory and giant robots duking it out with other giant robots and humans trying to take over a world, or just plain a good mystery, check it out.
  • The Greatest Anime Ever!!!

Ok this show is about a city called Paradigm City, and a negotiator named Roger Smith, trying to stop people destroying the city searching for memories.

40 years ago something happened, which no one knows what happen and everyone has lost their memory from 40 years ago. But people begin to get memories back of 40 years ago. When people find out that people are getting memories back then other people try to get these memories back. To stop these people there is Roger Smith, with the help of his megaduce (Giant Robot). Ok this can be really confusing, but if you continue to watch the programme things do start to become clear of what is happeing. There is great character development, and awesome fight scenes, with an amazing storyline, this put all together makes a brilliant TV programme.
  • i liked made no sence so if it made a little sence then i would give a good score but it my best anime movie.

so good made no sence but when i was wacthing with some of my kids they where acting like they where making the show just to sum it good but why it made no sence.they sould make a movie but they did very good move buy movie.i liked made no sence so if it made a little sence then i would give a good score for all shows that come on auldt swim they did not have to kick dis one but i still wacth it on computer very good for people who are fan of it. find a site to wacth
  • For Anime, Big O is the perfect "mix" of audio and visual stimulation. The story line is pretty good too.

I'm not sure why there are only two seasons BUT compared to several of the other Animes it should have many more seasons.
    In the sense that all events in life end up being memories one could easily say they aren't OR are important. This point is explored in Big O in several ways.

However, I could think of at least another season's worth of shows by detailing the "judgement" of such memories for each of the key actors associated with their memories.
  • Enigmatic, mysterious, occasionally inscrutable, but always intricate in story line, Big O is unique (despite falling into the heavily-populated Giant Robo category of Anime). Its deep characters and haunting music will capture and hold your interest.

Big O is full of distinctive characters who, despite their idiosyncrasies, readily win viewers empathy. This is not just confined to the dashing, Bruce-Wayne-like Roger Smith or his versatile, Alfred-like butler, Norman. There is also R. Dorothy, a tragic figure in whose newly-manufactured robotic corpus emerge faint feelings, emotions, and memories of her human pre-incarnation, much as faint traces of memories can emerge in the puzzled mind of the amnesiac. Far from playing Robin to Roger Smiths Batman,* Dorothy is given opportunities for compassion, musical creativity, courage, loyalty, and perhaps even love to grow in her synthetic soul and find expression in her new life with her respectful companions. Other characters — be they good or bad, they are always colorful and passionate — bring further mystery, adventure, comedy, pathos, danger, and outright evil to the individual episodes and the overall story.

Some concepts employed in Big O are noticeably borrowed from ideas of other writers, and not just Bob (Batman) Kane. This reviewer posits that concepts of Isaac Asimov, Fritz Lang, and Rod Serling make an appearance or two. Even so, the borrowings are minor and become more of an homage when mingled in the extensive original plot. The viewers sense of creative justice is unlikely to be provoked to the point where they cry That was stolen! in frustration. In the long run, the story is quite strong enough to stand on its own.

Like so many other Anime stories, Big O has its incongruities and wacky moments. But in this reviewers opinion, there are only two weaknesses to the show. The first is how the story and the characters leave the viewer confused as to the real meaning, purpose, and underlying value of the memories that were lost. The second, which appears to be a climactic ending without true resolution, serves only to emphasize the first weakness. This reviewer was left with conflicting beliefs that either a third season was planned but never fulfilled, or that the scriptwriters simply chose an alternative reality as an (overly) easy resolution to the complex conflicts they had crafted (i.e., they painted themselves into a corner). The result is that the series is perhaps better appreciated as an anthology of stand-alone episodes than as an epic whole.

Despite these issues, there is much in the journey through Big O saga itself that is both tantalizing and satisfying. As with other popular stories (like Star Wars), this reviewer (and, no doubt, other fans) can envision added story lines that would broaden and extend the alternate universe that encompasses Paradigm City and its residents. I would hope that Cartoon Network and Sunrise Productions would pursue the rendering and broadcast of such tales. In the meantime, I\'ll be reading through my Big O manga.

This reviewer hopes that you will enjoy the show.

* Some might say that Big O carries the alternate title Botman and Robot; I would not.
  • Cast In The Name Of God... Ye Not Guilty.

Pretty wierd show all around.

Roger Smith is the top negotiator in Paradigm City, a city where, 40 years ago, all memories of the past just disappeared. A lot of technology was left back, including these huge robots called Megadueces. Roger secretly owns a Megaduece, that goes by the name Big O. He is able to transport it around using the subway systems, another technology lost to the rest of the world.

Roger is in many ways like batman. Rich, got his own butler-dude, got a secret cave, cool gadgets, and everything.

Steven Blum is the voice of Roger in the English version, which is cool cause he also does Spike(Cowboy Bebop),Vincent(FFVII:AC), some parts in Outlaw Star, Guyverm and lots of others.
  • Its okay,but the ending...

Ok so the story is about Roger,who has this huge robat called Big O.He kinda saves the city loads of times. He is also a negiotioater and on one of the accasions he stumbles upon a robat girl,um...cant remember her name havent seen it in ages...ok anyway he has to try and defeat two other huge robats like his, and he falls in love with the girl robat.
    I think this show...o-kay.
    Its pretty confusing and i had to watch it a couple of times to really get it.
    The ending was pretty weird and very confusing.
    Something to do with Angel.....?! Bye!
  • Off da wall for sure

This show is aboutan incident that happened 40 years ago. Roger Smith (The Negotiator) has a megadues from 40 years ago. Big O. He negoiates in situations ad in some (all) acasions calls Big O to help. Paradime* city has no memories of what happened 40 years ago. Roger throughtout the series trys to find out what happened all those years ago.

*I dont think I spelled it right.
  • Deep yet interesting

I would have to say that Big O is the best giant robot anime I have ever seen. I cannot say I am surprised that it was not successful on
    Toonami, the audience that watched Toonami probably were too young to fully grasp Big O. Though I prefered the first season I found the second season offered something a little different, I mean different in a good way. It is just amazing how through out the show they put together all the pieces of the mystery. It is a great thing that adult swim brought it back otherwise I would of missed out on one of the best animes of all time.
  • Roger the Negotiator,well he negotiates, in Paradigm City. Also he fights with this big robot, Big O. Duh. Anyway he is helped by his butler Jeffery I think, and an android by the name Dorothy. They fight the bad guys trying to get back the memories of t

This by far, is one of the most confusing cartoons I have ever seen in my life. I saw all the episodes and I only started understanding it at the very last episodes. The show is great don’t get me wrong, but, I think that by making it a little more clear that more people would have enjoyed it more. I know I did.
  • Big O is a great anime!!!

You have to love the animes that are underrated, but shine like the big dogs. The Big O does all that. You have a story here that is full of mystery and each episode only gives you maybe a tiny shard of the big picture. I would say that this anime keeps you guessing the whole way through. It is a great show and a must have for any anime fan.
  • The people of Paradigm City lost all of their memories forty years ago. For some, the memories should be left alone to wither away but for many the memories lost should be resurrected. That's where Roger Smith, the top negotiator in Paradigm City, comes

I am not very good with summaries so my summary gives little justice to such a truly excellent anime. The first time I heard of it I instantly ran to my computer to read up on it and I became immediately intrigued by its storyline. After seeing the first episode, I was not wowed but very much interested in seeing more. As I continued to watch it I grew more and more fascinated. It became an addiction for me and I constantly thought about it and whenver I talked about it, no one could get me to shut-up. Believe me it is awesome and anyone and everyone should give it a try.
  • Big O follows Roger Smith, negotiator in Paradigm City, a city without memories older than 40 years. Roger, teamed with his giant robot, a Megadeus called Big O, fights to save the city from harm. But what happened, that caused a city to lose all of those

The Big O is a series for the thinker. It is not your ordinary anime in the least. Developed by those who helped create Batman: The Animated Series and Mobile Suit Gundam, Big O mixes American animation style with Japanese ideas.

The story is complex, and due to the final 26 episodes of Big O having never been completed, it is impossible to tell how things should end. However, one is still able to enjoy the storyline, and have fun coming up with one’s own theory on how Big O final act would play out.

The two seasons share many similarities and differences; therefore, it is necessary to view them both together and apart.

Season One introduced us to the characters and the storyline. We meet Roger Smith, the ‘top negotiator’ in Paradigm City, and R. Dorothy, an android who crosses the borderline between being human and being a machine. Other characters, like Roger’s butler, Norman Burg, Roger’s friend, Major Dan Dastun, the mysterious Angel, and more side characters are introduced. In Season One, the characters’ personalities are developed, so the viewer can get a feel for each one, how they should act, and who they are. The storyline is told in a structure similar to what has been done in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Some episodes act on their own, and give more toward character development, while a few build toward the main plot, and the big question of Season One: what really happened, 40 years ago? The final episode of the Season ends on a cliffhanger, and the fans of Big O pushed its creators to finish the story.

Season Two gets right to the chase, picking up where Season One left off. A new animation style gives a new shine to the then four year old series, and gives it more of an anime-like appearance. Gone is the focus on character development, the viewer already knows about all of that; Big O now focuses on the plot alone. Roger continues to search for the answers in Paradigm City, about his past and about the city’s past. He learns, however, something that he himself had said in Season One: that life needs to be lived in the present to prepare for the future, and not to let the past, or the lack of a past, to hold one back. Roger faces something similar to a final judgment in the last episode, and once again, the viewer is left confused with the ending.

I myself have not watched the Seasons together, all 26 episodes, in one go. I at this time do not own the Second Season DVDs, so I have had to wait for episodes to air on Adult Swim nightly or weekly to see the storyline. However, it is still obvious that there are big things that can be seen between the two seasons. Toward the end of Season One, Big O begins to pickup speed, and throughout Season Two, it is like a mad rush to get to an ending that the viewer never gets to see. While episodes in Season One many times were their own individual stories, those of Season Two are nearly all connected, leaving one aching to see what happens next again and again. The change in animation style does not seem to cause much of a problem, because (in the exception of the VA for Norman Burg) the Voice Actors and Actresses remain the same, and keep the series flowing. The lack of individual episodes in Season Two makes one wish that more had been made, for while the storyline could not be expressed very well in any other way, many Big O fans miss ‘the little things,’ like R. Dorothy’s “you’re a louse, Roger Smith.” Overall, one can feel the change between the two seasons, but it is not that rocky.

It has been proven that a follow-up Season Three of 26 episodes was supposed to be made to finish the series, but a lack of funding from Cartoon Network, the company that brought Big O back to life, has kept Big O fans beyond reach. There is no telling for the future, however. Not many were even expecting to get a Season Two.

I give Big O a rating of 10. Big O gives me everything I want from an anime just short of female character fan service (which it does better to do without). I enjoy the action of the Megadeus battles, the mystery when Roger must go undercover, the humor that characters like Norman can present, the entire idea of the world being a stage, where people are simply unknowing actors doing as those above them direct (think The Truman Show). I can’t get enough of Big O. Perhaps I never will, if the final season is not made. That doesn’t mean, however, that one cannot enjoy the 26 episodes that already exist!

I suggest watching the first four episodes in a row, if you are unsure about Big O. It may not be the key to capturing you, but I believe they are a good preview of the rest of the series.