TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Bionic Woman Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

Episode 3 "Sisterhood" Discussion

jax_rerun

[1]Oct 11, 2007
    • level: 12

I guess no one is doing "official" discussion threads, so I'm starting one.

I love Sarah Corvas. She is the main reason I keep watching. I hope her character remains a big part of the show. Jaime needs to do something interesting, bc right now her character is rather boring to me.

I liked that the whiny Princess she had to protect was a Canadian. haha. "Just find her, so we don't have to go to war with Canada." Her boss is cool -- I like his deep voice.

/dammit the poll function isn't working today. grrrr.

Edited on 10/11/2007 12:29pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

24Titan

[2]Oct 11, 2007
    • level: 13

I wrote a review of the episode about a half hour after it ended. I thought that it was great. I love Katee Sackhoff in this show. I'm glad that there's already some Emmy buzz around her, because, based of her performance last night, she deserves it. She's excellent as Sarah Corvus, as I said in my review.

I also loved that Jaime kicked butt this week, as opposed to getting her butt kicked last week. I found my new must-see TV show.

danharr

[3]Oct 11, 2007
    • level: 45
    Yea in light of an episode thread I did my reviews as well but next week if I don't see one up i'm putting one here. Anyway Sarah is becoming the main draw for a minute there I was worried. She was doing a lot of playful banter and I it looked Sara was done being a bad girl but thankfully all that was put to rest by the end of the show. Another high point was Isiah Washington's dip into serial killer land real scary and according to the previews telling of future events to come.

jax_rerun

[4]Oct 11, 2007

danharr -- can you do stickies too or is that just the editor of this page?

I'm totally blanking on the Isiah serial killer refernece you made. I'm trying to think of a scene, but nothing is coming to mind.

LadyVaako

[5]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 9

Best episode of the season so far. I agree that Katee Sackhoff did a great job and she totally rocks as Sarah Corvus. This is a very promising story line and if the writers know how to take it to the next level, it could be very interesting to watch.

Now, I've got to say this because it really bothered me... That line Jamie said when she asked if Canada had an army? *facepalms* As a Canadian it made me cringe and I felt insulted although I realize that, sadly, this is probably a reflection of the degree of ignorance that a lot of Americans have towards Canada. Someone's gonna have to feed this girl's brains with something more than just fighting skills and tactics if they want her to succeed in this line of business... Oy!

Jacks_Son

[6]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 13

I actually enjoyed this episode more than the previous one. The last one left me with a sour taste and I was losing hope that the show would last. This episode lifted my spirits quite a bit. I enjoyed the banter between Jaime and the others and most especially Sarah. You've got to remember, Jaime was a college dropout and just a bartender. Sure, she has a high IQ, but that doesn't translate into real knowledge about things. Now, she's placed in a situation, where she's a newbie in a dangerous world. Her training can only provide so much. She needs experience, and thus we should show a bit of patience with her Ops. Sarah's role is crucial as not only a foil to Jamie, but also as an unwilling teacher. The people at the agency can only TELL Jaime about what she can do, Sarah can SHOW Jaime the real deal. All-in-all, I would rate this episode as a 6.5 or even a 7 out of 10. It was a fairly good episode. It even had Magda Apanowicz (Andy from "Kyle XY") playing the spoiled rich brat Heaven Von Fleet.

One thing I want to comment about is all the pre-airing hoopla about the producers bringing in Isiah Washington. A lot of people complained about his inclusion being one of the reason thay would refuse to watch the show. Well, I say he brings a LOT to this show and is a helluva an actor. Those people who bailed before the show even aired are losing out on watching the early stages of a fairly good show.

BenRyan33

[7]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 16
    I think this ep was a step up from last week. I liked that they are beginning to bring out some type of underlying "mystery" to the series but the individual stories still need some work. Sadly, I'm still not entirely sold on this series because I'm not sure what it is trying to accomplish and where it is going yet.

Katelome

[8]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 15

So LadyVaako, how big IS Canada's army? Is it around the size of France's or Australia's? I mean, Canada is known for a lot of things, but quite frankly NOT for its armed forces. As an "ignorant" American I found the joke quite funny. If you were offended by this joke I can only wonder what you thought of South Park's "Blame Canada"

This episode was a solid notch above the previous two; enjoyed the writing/banter, thought it flowed faster than the previous episodes. Hopefully it will continue in this vein.

nw80

[9]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 7
    I really like this ep it was such an improvment.It was so much more solid and the pacing was good,the dialogs were better it seems like the plot gets adirection, like it's actually going some where.It raises more intresting questions about will and his intentions toward jaime. I also liked jaime's attitude and her reluctant to be a mere pown in the game and that she speaks up and demands her privety and rights. The sara curves story and charecter also becomes really intresting. So ye if every episode improve that way i think the show is going to be great.
    Edited on 10/12/2007 11:14am

Jamus02

[10]Oct 12, 2007
    Yeah, this episode was a lot better than the first two. This is a good show, but is it just me or did it seem like the scenes didn't exactly flow together. I don't know what it is but it just felt a little choppy and random the way it was put together.

belial_77

[11]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 17

Think this episode is a marked improvement on the other episodes... which was already one of the best network sci-fi shows in years...

I liked the upping of the cyber-punk feel that was in this episode... such as the revelation of Sarah's illness which has many traits of the similar disease in William Gibson (the noted author of "Neuromancer", which progressed the cyber-punk movement to new heights) suffered by his reoccurring anti-heroine Molly... and the idea of the implants that are futuristic to us, becoming obsolete to new, better tech...

The exploration of Sarah's character in general and the contrasting of her to Jamie it well executed... little things slowing showing up, instead of one big scene showing everything... I loved the revelation that the accident that changed Jamie's life, was a recreation of Sarah's... I was wondering why she chose to attempt to kill Will w/ a semi instead of another, easier way...

The scene in the salon gets a lot of slack, but it wasn't that bad or out of place imo... it played an important part in making Jamie trust Sarah a little more... as well as giving us some bionic ass-kicking action...

People have stated that the show doesn't know where its going, and I guess i can see that... but the underlying theme and basic idea of the show has been progressing nicely as Jamie has suspicions about the company which she works for, tries coming to grips with being treated almost as a machine instead of a person, etc...

Can't wait see how things evolve as the show continues

danharr

[12]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 45
    jax_rerun wrote:

danharr -- can you do stickies too or is that just the editor of this page?

I'm totally blanking on the Isiah serial killer refernece you made. I'm trying to think of a scene, but nothing is coming to mind.

Nope just the editor as for Isiah the way he tuned out before attacking Jaie like he'd lost his mind was what I was referring too. He didn't look like a professional training a junior he looked crazy.

OdumCarlock

[13]Oct 13, 2007
    I'm just not seeing the bionics...

Besides the hearing and sight, neither seem to have the strength of having bionic limbs... Srah had to repeatedly punch a wall just to crack the plaster while I know people in real life that could have gone through it in one punch... Hope the bionic women never meet a redneck...

While the fight scene in the boutique was nicely staged people shouldn't get up after being roundhouse kicked by a bionic leg...

aredo3604

[14]Oct 13, 2007
    • level: 6

OdumCarlock wrote:
    I'm just not seeing the bionics... Besides the hearing and sight, neither seem to have the strength of having bionic limbs... Srah had to repeatedly punch a wall just to crack the plaster while I know people in real life that could have gone through it in one punch... Hope the bionic women never meet a redneck... While the fight scene in the boutique was nicely staged people shouldn't get up after being roundhouse kicked by a bionic leg...
    Yes, absolutely. The production crew is making bionics look like silly toys instead of the super weapons that they are and were correctly portrayed in the original serie. A bionic woman when punches or kicks a normal human should just crack the bones like nothing, the bionics are supposed to generate a lot of power and it was correctly portrayed in the pilot ! Then, what the heck happened to this serie ? Yep... it's the Battlestar Galactica producers we are talking about.. and in fact they are ruining the whole concept already. They are wasting money and making the serie look like a silly joke. Jaime cracked her boyfriend bones like nothing in the pilot when she didn't know how powerful she was, then why in this 1x03 episode we see her being so weak that normal humans can survive a direct hit from her bionic arm and her bionic legs ? It doesn't make sense and it's killing the show. Jaime just didn't need any help there in the shop to fight a bunch of normal humans, instead they made her look so weak... pretty silly.

Edited on 10/13/2007 9:07am

Jamus02

[15]Oct 13, 2007
    aredo3604 wrote:

OdumCarlock wrote:
    I'm just not seeing the bionics... Besides the hearing and sight, neither seem to have the strength of having bionic limbs... Srah had to repeatedly punch a wall just to crack the plaster while I know people in real life that could have gone through it in one punch... Hope the bionic women never meet a redneck... While the fight scene in the boutique was nicely staged people shouldn't get up after being roundhouse kicked by a bionic leg...
    Yes, absolutely. The production crew is making bionics look like silly toys instead of the super weapons that they are and were correctly portrayed in the original serie. A bionic woman when punches or kicks a normal human should just crack the bones like nothing, the bionics are supposed to generate a lot of power and it was correctly portrayed in the pilot ! Then, what the heck happened to this serie ? Yep... it's the Battlestar Galactica producers we are talking about.. and in fact they are ruining the whole concept already. They are wasting money and making the serie look like a silly joke. Jaime cracked her boyfriend bones like nothing in the pilot when she didn't know how powerful she was, then why in this 1x03 episode we see her being so weak that normal humans can survive a direct hit from her bionic arm and her bionic legs ? It doesn't make sense and it's killing the show. Jaime just didn't need any help there in the shop to fight a bunch of normal humans, instead they made her look so weak... pretty silly.

I think the reason they are portraying her as weak is because she is so new to this whole Bionic thing. She doesn't really understand the kind of power she has, or how to control it. She threw Will against the wall in the pilot and then she cracked that guy's rib in the second episode in the bathroom, but that was only when she was out of control and she had no idea what she was doing. She even said to the guy in the bathroom that she kind of got carried away, plus she was drunk. So in the boutique, she wasn't using her full Bionic power cause she didn't know how to, she doesn't even know who to fight properly. And also when she was trainging with J, and then Isaiah came in, he got her to use her full power by being full on out of control.

Edited on 10/13/2007 9:29am

aredo3604

[16]Oct 13, 2007
    Jamus02 wrote:

I think the reason they are portraying her as weak is because she is so new to this whole Bionic thing. She doesn't really understand the kind of power she has, or how to control it. She threw Will against the wall in the pilot and then she cracked that guy's rib in the second episode in the bathroom, but that was only when she was out of control and she had no idea what she was doing. She even said to the guy in the bathroom that she kind of got carried away, plus she was drunk. So in the boutique, she wasn't using her full Bionic power cause she didn't know how to, she doesn't even know who to fight properly. And also when she was trainging with J, and then Isaiah came in, he got her to use her full power by being full on out of control.

It still lacks consistency, it's not well done. They should have given a better explanation for it to work as they wanted. Also, when Isaiah joined the fight.. if she had really used her power he should have got at least a couple of ribs broken as a realistic result. Instead both him and J seem able to sustain even some direct bionics hits, that is just silly. Even if she can't calibrate her power correctly.. she should be able to crack their bones. The two guys look like bionic men... A bionic woman should be as dangerous as a Terminator machine, her bionic legs and arms can generate a similar level of power/physical strength.

Edited on 10/13/2007 12:42pm
    Edited 3 total times.

belial_77

[17]Oct 13, 2007
    • level: 17
    aredo3604 wrote:
    Jamus02 wrote:

It still lacks consistency, it's not well done. They should have given a better explanation for it to work as they wanted. Also, when Isaiah joined the fight.. if she had really used her power he should have got at least a couple of ribs broken as a realistic result. Instead both him and J seem able to sustain even some direct bionics hits, that is just silly. Even if she can't calibrate her power correctly.. she should be able to crack their bones. The two guys look like bionic men... A bionic woman should be as dangerous as a Terminator machine, her bionic legs and arms can generate a similar level of power/physical strength.

So, you want this show to be ubberrealistic and naturalistic in nature? I think if we had a show like that it would be boring as hell... from some of your other posts, I know you think there's a big conspiracy out there perpetrated by the US military to hide the fact we already have this tech in real life... but we don't... admittedly we've made HUGE strides in mechanical and computerized prosthetics, but nothing near what this show depicts...
    Also, complaining about why there isn't major damage when she hits someone, broken bones, etc... remember this is a network show that can't show graphic violence (especially during the "prime time" or "water shed" hours).
    This show isn't focused on the action anyway, its a deeply character driven cyberpunk story told with a healthy dose of action... its more about exploring the ever increasingly relevant issue of bio-ethics and more to the point, post-humanism in general... Jamie and Sarah's personal struggles with being more then human, while at the same time, in some ways... less then human...
    in their minds, are they super-heroines or are the base machine or tool that the company who built them tends to see?
    In fact is that not the central idea of the show- Trying to explore the boundary of man (in this case, woman) and machine?

aredo3604

[18]Oct 14, 2007
    belial_77 wrote:
    So, you want this show to be ubberrealistic and naturalistic in nature? I think if we had a show like that it would be boring as hell... from some of your other posts, I know you think there's a big conspiracy out there perpetrated by the US military to hide the fact we already have this tech in real life... but we don't... admittedly we've made HUGE strides in mechanical and computerized prosthetics, but nothing near what this show depicts...
    And do you really think that secret agencies and the military worldwide (obviously not just the US ones, Putin and China keep their secrets even better) don't have far more advanced plans and technologies than what the public knows ? Any new technology becomes public only many years after it got used by the military, then the multinational groups in their R&D NDA-protected labs and then it could become public and used in mass market consumer products. xDSL technology was in use by the military even in the '60s. For many years in universities worldwide professors and technicians were publishing technical books and teaching that normal copper based phone lines could never ever have got xDSL like bandwidths and that fiber optics was the only way to go for broadband in every house. Then it suddenly happened that the technology became public, I still remember the now defunct Byte magazine publishing an article on the subject and explaing how xDSL technology would have changed the world, making the impossible possible. http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/bionic_man_becoming_a_reality_10347.html
    :
    Also, complaining about why there isn't major damage when she hits someone, broken bones, etc... remember this is a network show that can't show graphic violence (especially during the "prime time" or "water shed" hours). This show isn't focused on the action anyway, its a deeply character driven cyberpunk story told with a healthy dose of action... its more about exploring the ever increasingly relevant issue of bio-ethics and more to the point, post-humanism in general... Jamie and Sarah's personal struggles with being more then human, while at the same time, in some ways... less then human... in their minds, are they super-heroines or are the base machine or tool that the company who built them tends to see? In fact is that not the central idea of the show- Trying to explore the boundary of man (in this case, woman) and machine?
    It's a sci-fi show, if they turn it into another soap opera nonsense stuff like Battlestar Galactica they would kill it and despite all the effort Universal could put into it, they ratings would get so low that they couldn't fake it even if they wanted to. Bionic Woman is a sci-fi classic well-known story, many more people know the original than Battlestar Galactica, if they can't raise the bar and make the show any better it will not even last its whole first season.
    Edited on 10/14/2007 8:37am

nw80

[19]Oct 14, 2007
    • level: 7
    I really don't see the problem first of all beacuse as blial_77 mention the fights and her ability to fight and cause damage are not the center of the show that's not whats important here, its more then an anction show its also drama and im glad about that ,and second of all and maybe the most important thing to remmember (and i do think it is one of the themes of the show) is that jaime might have bionics parts in her, she does have machine parts but she's not a machine and there for she acts diffrently in diffrent situatins she's not predictable or accurate such as a machine, her state of mind her confidence level etc etc have a lot of impact on the way she respond and acts and i love that theme that is exaclly what makes us so diffrent from a machine. It's not the first time that we see a strong heroine who gets hurt even though she's very strong like in dark angel, buffy and im sure there are more. And besides don't forget that she still have a lot of human parts...which cause her to feel pain and probebly affect the way she fights.
    Edited on 10/14/2007 7:36am
    Edited 2 total times.

pgsuperfan

[20]Oct 14, 2007
    • level: 25
    If you miss Bionic Woman on Weds on NBC it repeats on Sci Fi on Sats at 7PM