Bionic Woman

Sisterhood

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 10, 2007 on NBC

• This show is having a hard time finding itself.

While I enjoy the general concept of the show and see some potential, I'm wondering if they're going to decide on a direction for it before I lose interest. There seems to be certain inconsistencies from show to show that are starting to be distracting. For instance, in this episode we see Becca and Jaime sitting on the couch looking at Becca's laptop, when in the first episode she goes to the trouble of hanging it out of the window so that Jaime doesn't see it. I realize that the issue was an internet connection, but one has to think that it would have been easier to hide the chord rather than hang the laptop out of the window in a net especially since an internet cable is more damning than a laptop. We later have Sarah reveal to us via flashback that her sister died nearly the exact same way that she attempted to kill Will the first time when Jaime got caught in between. The revelation of this information has me scratching my head, as this would be a deeply personal way for her to kill Will and it definitely didn't come across that way in the pilot. The character of Will is also being rewritten in hindsight in ways that don't jive with the original portrayal of the character. This really comes off more like the writers changing direction in midstream more than revealing more about a character you thought you knew. I'm also a little confused as to why the Isaiah Washington character was necessary. He seems redundant and doesn't really add anything that I can see. And the scene where he comes in to test Jaime only to get his ass kicked after Jae was holding his own was priceless. If they meant him to look foolish they succeeded.

This show seems to want to do too much too soon without deciding where they're headed first. They threw her into the field by the second episode and now we're at episode three and she's already having an emotional faceoff with her counterpart. They could have stretched this out for the whole first half of the season at least and focused more on character development instead of the cheap emotional tricks to force a connection. The characters of Jaime and Sarah could have been playing cat and mouse all season before they jumped to the scene where Sarah has to ask for help. Wouldn't it have been far more interesting to see them come close only to see Sarah slip away? To see Sarah slowly degrade and allow for a true sympathetic connection rather that a quick dead sister bit? To see Jaime come to terms with the true emotion consequences of what just happened to her rather than just jumping into action? To maybe give Jaime a little more time before she's sympathizing with the woman who killed the love of her life and her unborn child? I don't know. I guess what I'm saying is if this show were more like Buffy The Vampire Slayer, it wouldn't be a bad thing.