A Bitten Community
Monday 8:00 PM on Syfy
"Showdown"

Last night we saw the season's (series?) finale of Bitten. And it was freaking awesome! Too bad the good stuff came so late in the series cause Bitten will probably share OUAT in Wonderland's (which was far better show then Bitten) fate. Let's relive the most interesting moments of "Ready", shall we?

"Bedroom surprise"

The writers needed 13 episodes to kill Philip, but I think it was worth to wait. I was 100% satisfied with the outcome. Obviously, this scene was an allusion to "The Godfather" (another fantastic movie) The way the horse's Philip's face was looking straight at the viewers creeped me out. And it was kind of smiling?!

I suspect Philip will somehow regrow his body if Bitten gets season 2.

"The end of love"

This was very sad scene :( Elena and Santos, the two star-crossed lovers, who were destined to create a new werewolf master race (at least that's how Santos saw it) parted their ways for good. Santos was one of the most interesting characters of Bitten (just like Zachary - do you remember him folks?) and it's such a shame he had to die. I'll miss him very much :(

At least Elena grabbed Santos by a throat one last time. Also she really touched his heart!

"The turncoat"

"It's not because she's a prize. It's because she's a Lady!"

I was so happy that Karl joined the Wolfies! I loved this guy from the beginning. First he saved Elena from LeBlanc and then he had a great scene with Jeremy and Santos. Also Karl and Elena both wore scarlet jackets. They could become a team of superheroes - let's call them The Scarlet Avengers. Fingers crossed Karl becomes Elena's new romantic interest in season 2.

"Daddy's back"

As many of you suspected James is Jeremy's papa, Malcolm. I think the writers ruined the surprise few weeks ago when they showed us Malcolm's signet ring. We all knew Jeremy has daddy issues. It turns out Malcolm has them too. Apparently Jeremy loved (or at least respected) his grandpa more then his father. Also Malcolm wants Elena. Aren't you too old for her, pal?

I'm eager to see what Malcolm will do in season 2.

"The worst day of my life"

Poor Rachel :( First the father of her unborn son left her in the motel. Then she was kidnapped and taped like a Christmas gift. Later Logan locked her in a dark closet and she was forced to watch Nick being awesome (that was a great scene!) And finally the bad guys caught her again. This amount of stress can't be good for a baby.

Let's be honest - if Rachel had stayed in the closet everything would have been alright. It's her own fault she's a prisoner again.

At least we saw the photo guy from the pilot again. As it turns out he was working for Malcolm from the beginning. I also suspect he's both a werwolf and Jeremy's half-brother. Also he looked crazy.

"The fight"

I loved all action scenes in "Ready". I still don't understand why Wolfies don't have guns in home. At least they used: traps, curtain rods, bathtubs and axes to eliminate their adversaries.

Also Logan ate a guy. And he was later all naked and bloody. He looked hot and awesome. I think it was the first time we have ever seen his buttocks.

"Bath time"

This scene was nice even if a bit chauvinistic. I loved Elena's romantic nightie. Also the water in the bathtub looked dirty.

I liked "Ready". It was a great season's finale with a nice cliffhanger. I give it 8 out of 10.

The big question is:

What did you think about season's finale? Did you like it? Do you want season 2? Share your thoughts!

Thanks for reading and commenting! See ya!

Comments (86)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Yeah alicia, im in agreement and when i think about all the times since season one ended that i have googled over and over "Bitten season 2" it surprises me that some of our peers here have dedicated some serious time to hating or whining about how they dont exactly match up to the books lol. I consider bitten to be a refreshingly smart take on the supernatural without cheezy costumes and makeup effects. This show started out with only a relatively small following and has gained momentum which has finally lead us to season 2...
Flag
I'm really surprised at many of the reactions here. I LOVE this show. It closely followed the book, which was also very good. The onscreen chemistry between Laura and Greyston is sizzling, and the two are perfectly cast in their parts. I read that it was a big hit for the Space Channel, so why all this speculation about it not getting renewed?
Flag
I actually loved this show, although it did get a little boring during the mid season. I give it a thumbs up for season 2. I don't know why but, I've got a crush on Clay. Maybe it's because he's naked about 80% of the time! I'm definitely crossing my fingers for Season 2.
Flag
Hope there is a second season!!!
Flag
I think it is a great program and want to see it again this next season. The season finale was great.
Flag
Having basically given up on this show a few episodes back, I found myself in a dilemma. My laundry was clean and folded and dishes washed by 8pm. Two hours to kill before Game of Thrones comes on. What to do...what to do? {shrug} Why not?

While I don't expect Bitten to get a second season, if it does, a little advice. DO NOT watch Bitten and then watch Game of Thrones (or any other top shelf show). In a vacuum, it's not very good. Separated by (arguably) the best series on TV by only a few minutes does nothing but highlight just how far back it is...lol

First up, I guess I owe Clay an apology. It's a small apology and doesn't account for 90% of his behaviour, but an apology none the less. He didn't intentionally try to murder his fiance...he was ordered to because she "MIGHT" have seen Jeremy change? While that speaks for how little spine Clay doesn't have, it does say more about what a giant dick Jeremy is. And that's impressive, cause he was a pretty big dick before. So, all this time "family" and "pack" and "trust" and "loyalty"...nothin', huh? {shrug}

So, for Elana, all is forgiven. All that dysfunction is washed away and they can carry on as if nothing happened. Yup, these two are perfect for each other.

While Nick gets a solid 2nd runner up, the hero of this show...Logan! You tha man! You live your life how you want. Come back to Stonehaven ONLY when absolutely necessary and even then you pick your spots. You back up your "cousins" without question. And when backed into a corner, you're more than man enough to tell Jeremy to, "Go f*ck yourself! You're not taking my son.". Clay, take notes...THAT'S how you behave for the woman you love...even if's she's not very bright.

Packs and mutts and territories...oie...what a mess. I still don't understand how a the power dynamic of this show is supposed to work because perhaps it's just Jeremy's incompetence, but being in a pack really doesn't seem all that safe. Just another casualty of the poor writing. Between continuity problems and logic being abandoned...this was a tough watch. And not in the good GoT way because there are so many high quality arcs that are deep and complicated. You'd think that lack of complexity would make it easier {more shrugging}

RIP Bitten, I'm thinking that you're a female show about to feel the teeth of the 2013-14 season renewal bite.
More+
Flag
I agree the lack of logic in territory, power dynamics really hurts the show. Is there more than one pack? Because it seems like there are an awful lot of unaligned wolves around if there's not more than one. Plus some characters--Malcolm, Koenig, maybe a lot of Sorrentos--seem pretty powerful to be unaligned.

I generally prefer shows with shorter seasons because they have less fluff/have tighter plotting. Bitten breaks that mold.
Flag
First off, cudos on the screenname...it's most appropriate for this type of forum :)

Agreed though, with every example I see, I grow more and more convinced that seasons should be in the 10-14 range. With a few exceptions, it's just long enough to tell one great story with perhaps an episode or two as a "break" either to cool things down a little or set the stage for the next act. Unless you True Detective or Game of Thrones where every minute seems densely packed. The only thing dense about Bitten was the entire pre-production process. It was poorly executed from the start and just went downhill from there.

There was a map in the basement that outlines the different pack territories, though for the life of me I couldn't recall the episode and wasn't about to re-watch. I noticed it in the fanale and there couldn't have been more than a dozen outlined territories for all of North America. If Stonehaven, at it's largest, is representative of other packs...then we're only talking about 100 wolves, at most, to patrol an entire continent? And based on this, should there be an uprising in one territory, you can't count on other packs to lend support.

If I were a wolf who lived in that world, I'd wanna be a Mutt too, since that's clearly where the power lies.
More +
Flag
Now that I think about it, at one point Jeremy might have mentioned asking for help from other packs but also said that made his pack seem weak. And I agree--being a Mutt feels more powerful than part of a pack, at least as shown.

I definitely agree that 10-14 is the sweet spots for shows although I can think of two counter examples (Luther has had shorter seasons, and Veronica Mars, especially the first season, was very well plotted with 22). But both are more of an anomaly. Bitten as a TV show feels like it needed a few more drafts in the writers room before they started filming. I went to a talk awhile back and the speaker used to acquire the film rights from novels for a studio. She made a point that the best adaptations aren't literal, but the novel inspires the screenwriter(s) to make their own story. Bitten was finally getting their own world built at the end of the season, which was way too late.
Flag
Don't know anything about Veronica Mars, but Luther I think had a 4 episode season and was still awesome. Though that's not really outside the norm for the BBC where 6-8 episodes is pretty standard there. I love the model of two short seasons per year. Make no wonder so many of their shows seem a lot better than they actually are...they don't have time to get stale.

I could live with Bitten taking its time to develop its world, lots of shows do that. But if that's the plan, you had better develop your characters since they're the viewer's guide.

Two were killed before they could contribute anything of significance. Logan and Nick were interesting, but completely under utilized. Jeremy, as best as I could tell was a complete buffoon with the worst leadership tendencies EVER. Dr Clay was just laughably absurd. If he wasn't being a complete dick, he was embracing his sociopathy. And Elena, when not being the poster child for why women's rights groups get upset at the portrayal of females on TV, was a complete twit who deserved most of the bad things that happened to her.

The failings of this show were vast, but "creating" shallow characters nobody gave a damn about was the death nail from the minute the pilot began.
More +
Flag
For me, it felt like it took the writers the entire first season to figure out the world they created and finally create their own identity separate from the source material. I loved the season (series?) finale, even if parts of it made me laugh (seriously, the fight in the bathtub?!?) I really hope they get a second season because they're finally set up to have an interesting and exciting storyline. I wish they could have gotten here in the first six episodes instead of meandering through some questionable decisions.

At least we now see why the writers spent so much time on Phillip--they wanted us to like him before he lost his head.

On a brief, not too spoiler-y book note, I *so* I preferred this climactic battle involving the pack to the way the book ended (although it also has action--just different).
Flag
I agree Bitten finally got its own identity. It would be a shame if they cancel it now.

If they wanted us to like Philip - then they failed miserably. I was so happy when they finally killed him.
Flag
I agree--instead of making us like Phillip, he was a bland waste of time. Ties in with the lack of identity!
Flag
It was never about US liking him, that was Elena's link to her new life, if you read the book you'll see that that's how she feels. In the show she keeps trying to 'get away' from Clay and closer to Philip, she doesn't want the pack life, she wants her so called normal life.
If you read the first book you'll read how she wants the white picket fence, a husband and kids, cause that's something she never had, but she knows she can't have it, and Philip is the closest she would ever get to a normal happy life...
The show writers used a lot of what was in the book, that's why he wasn't killed sooner. But no i don't like him, never did, but having his head on Elena's bed as the last scene was incredible!!
Flag
I've read Bitten-the-novel, and I still don't think they did a good job *in the show* with the Philip character. If they're going to spend so much time onscreen with him, the viewer needs to feel invested in his character, or at least see why Elena loves him. The show could have done more with the wolf video. I assume they intended to have the blond woman (portrayed by the actress who plays Ainsley in Orphan Black, aka the "no panties" girl in Llostris' Bitten reviews) to show us that Philip was loyal to Elena, but instead if felt disconnected. In the book, I saw why Elena cared for Philip and what he symbolized, but the show fell flat. And if I need to know the book to understand the meaning of a TV show, then the show failed.
Flag
The fights in that episode looked like they're getting better. Where has that choreography been all season? Its funny that all of the cast has been doing interviews this week and no decision has been made from anybody on renewed/canceled. It seems from the cast that they have no idea but all are anxious for the news and want to keep doing it. I think they cleaned up some narrative hiccups and delivered a solid batch of episodes to close out the first season. They don't renew this its going to be a bad sign because they needed it to fill space. What are they going to have left to pair with 'Lost Girl' that did get renewed if they cancel or stop airing this? Santos was the most interesting bad guy so hopefully Jeremy's dad can pick up the slack next year. He was one creepy dude, as obsessed with Elena as (every viewer) Santos. I love that all the dudes want her, it is the perfect role for this beauty that doesn't seem to age - Sy/Fy worked out their agreement with Showcase and were able to announce that 'Lost Girl' was coming back for another season at the end of that finale (after those fu_ _ ers killed off _ _ _ _ _ _ after keeping her story and Bo's separate for the entire season????? (WTF 'Lost Girl'? There can be no 'Lost Girl' without a certain Latvian beauty in the cast.) but apparently either Space or SYFY has yet to make the decision on where to go with this one. It got better and from what I've read, the first book of this 10 book series is one of its weakest and the story gets much better.

Hopefully they see they have the female lead necessary to handle this role and the material and give it another go. I'd love to see what it becomes if it can keep getting better. Poor Rachel - she has no idea why she is being kidnapped - Logan sucks even if he is without a doubt the coolest looking wolf. They need to save the one innocent in this whole show. If this gets canceled after PHILIP'S HEAD ON THE BED!!!!! that would suck. Viewers want to know - Was he smiling or smirking when he lost it? This show definitely deserves a Season 2. (It deserves one more than (1) The Following deserved a second or third season, it deserves one more than (2) 'Under the Dome' Returning for Season 2, it deserves one more than (3) 'Falling Skies' which goes into Season 4 this year and (4) keeping it very close to home it deserves one more than 'Defiance', the last original drama left yet that they own and produce which is getting its Season 2 this summer. If they cancel this one after renewing 'Defiance' it wouldn't even be a surprise but it would eviscerate even the only faith I have in this company that they will keep buying cool Canadian sci-fi.

Philips's smiling head for the win!!! Thanks for covering this show for the community when it got good Llostris. Very nice job each week.
More+
Flag
Whedonrules - You're welcome :) I'm glad you enjoyed my reviews.

Leaving Rachel alone was unacceptable. However, I'm willing to forgive Logan cause:
1. ) He's Bitten's version of Léon
2.) Have you seen him when he changed back?

Fingers crossed Syfy renews Bitten for season 2.
Flag
Daddy must've been a mere pup himself when he had, er, his pup!
Why Logan left his wife in that obvious closet with no perfume etc. to deflect her presence is beyond me. But then leaving her at all was nuts. If that was the same room where Logan's wife was that the head was left in, it'd appear that Jimbo/James may've got her.
For a good long moment I got confused during the fight scene and thought I'd flipped channel to My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, what with the 12" of traditional something or other going on and on and on. But then it did spawn the seriously funny denture knockout moment. See what you get for el cheapo rims? To look like a damn fool, son!
Flag
Hated the parts where their enemies use knives (they don't), enemies set obvious ambush/trap(they fall for it), and they only knock out their enemies rather than kill. Incredibly lame.
Flag
Just got a doubt here... a lot of you saying that Logan's wife moved from the closet and that's why she got caught... and I was thinking she got taken from there? Same people that left the head over the bed? Am I the only one? It is the same room...

Flag
In the limo the photo guy says the following about Rachel: "Silly little thing was running through the woods".

So I guess that means the photo guy caught Rachel while she was trying to escape.
Flag
oh ok, I must have missed that - it is a bit strange though... so I guess Malcom put the head there after Rachel had escaped the closet then... mmm...
Flag
I hope that season 2 of Bitten will be more like these 2 couple of episodes. Please people that take decisions there in Canada for this show, do not stretch it more than necessary! This could be great if you don't. I've had fun with it, although unfortunatelly the real good fun came a bit too late, and probably many viewers were already gone.

And yay, Llostris, there you have your dead Philip LOL :)
Flag
You have no idea how happy I was when I saw his head :)
Flag
haha, I had totally forgotten about him when the head showed up, but I was expecting him to be killed in this episode. I thought there would be more screen time for it, but this was very dramatic on its own, and very effective, I think.
Flag
oh my, love the show. was slow to start, but kept watching. each episode got better and better. loved the finale. the end with the head was so shocking and surprising. did not expect it. really hope it comes back for a second season
Flag
Thank you Llotris for taking the time to write reviews of Bitten.
I enjoyed the finale like the whole season 1.

Of course it wasn't a brilliant peace of cinematography nore the lines exquisite prosa, but I found the characters likable enough and the "homy cosy" disfunctional family pack feel cute.

I hope it gets renewed; at least to explain the clues that has been thrown at us viewer during the finale.

Who is this" secret agent man in town" whom Jeremy was talking?

And what secrets? Werewolves historical facts?Books? Torture chamber? Dead things?

And yes Philip's head Peaking from the sheets was brilliant ending..

So finger crossed for season 2

A.

Flag
You're welcome and thanks for reading :)

I agree there is lot of interesting stuff they could cover in season 2. Plus the last few episodes were much better then the beginning of the show. Let's hope Syfy renews Bitten.

Horse's Philip's head at the end was like an early Christmas gift :)
Flag
It'd be a shame if they ended after adapting book 1 because Stolen opens up a whole new world of possibilities for the series.
Flag
Totally agree on the loss of Santos and Zachary. They were strong characters and better actors then a number of others on the show. I know I'll miss them.

And for the nth time CAN PEOPLE WHO TALK ABOUT THE BOOKS, PARTICULARITY CHARACTER DEATHS, SAY BOOK SPOILERS!!
Flag
Stupid me. I decided to peek your review before watching the episode and saw Philip's head... So I learn never to peek again.

So Philip lost his head (or body depending on the perspective). I think the Godfather reference was apt, since he only was Elena's stallion (ouch!). No, seriously, a horse is a horse, of course, of course. And there goes Mr. Ed Phil. He didn't have much to do and was more of a boring normalcy prize for Elena. But who needs normalcy anyway?

A lot of action, and time went fast. Jeremy has ax skills that would make Daniel Boone envious. I just wonder why they fight as humans, not wolves, when the wolves cause so much more damage.

My biggest problem with the show was that I really don't care much which side wins. Jeremy says they have secrets to protect? What secrets? Could they have given us a clue at least? It's not like that Pack is protecting something great and serving a higher purpose. The Pack is a bunch with weird rules and who have done questionable things, and I still don't really understand Elena's love and loyalty towards that very dysfunctional so-called family. And Elena, who often worked as audience's surrogate, stated just too often along the show that she wanted nothing to do with the Pack. So, why should we the viewers?

The Mutts, on the other hand, were more comedic than scary. Just take Santos parroting (inappropriately) the Italian leather remark, the "I've been thinking" "Ooh, that's not a good idea" joke, as well as his tactics, staying back to "command as a general" and "wait for new orders," as well as his complete lunacy to think he had a shot with Elena. (Oh, well, Elena being hot ans she is and the only female in sight, no wonder every guy there wants a piece of her.) And the other mutts that were not funny were just pitiful.

The only guy I actually admire is Logan, but you never leave a pregnant woman in a hotel room with no food or drink in the minibar! Come on, seriously? That's a big no-no.

Oh, well, that was a show I never loved, but it had the great advantage of not irritating me either, as many fantasy shows made for teenagers/adults who think they are teenagers do. It was (or still is) a decent show, but something is missing.

I might check season 2 after it airs in its entirety, if there's ever one. Perhaps the major factor that motivated me was our little exchanges here.

Nice job, reviewer! And thanks for the effort.
More+
Flag
Thanks mad-pac :) - and I'm sorry for spoiling things to you. My reviews are sneaky and dangerous :P

I agree - Logan leaving Rachel in the motel was definitely NOT COOL.

I think Philip's death would have had greater impact if they had killed him while he still was in Elena's stud.

I hope you will come back if Bitten gets season 2. Your comments are always interesting to read.
Flag
It was a good finale. Most of the plotlines were wrapped up, and they left a couple just in case there is a season 2. I have not read the books, but I might. I like Laura, so I hope there is a season 2, but with some of the other Otherworld books used. They sound just as, if not more, interesting.
Flag
great seaon finale, actually I like the whole season, yes we better get a Season 2!!
Flag
I liked the book and was surprised they turned the one book into an entire season. It started slow but got better by the end and I think needing to add all that filler was part of the problem. It would have been much better to have few episodes but I liked it well enough.

I will be interested to see where they go from here (if it get renewed). The book is based on a series of 'otherworldly' females and there are only 2 or 3 that is Elena based. The second book is Elena based and introduces a lot of other females (witches/demons/ghosts/vampires) that become important in future stories. I'd love it if they go that route as the books got a lot better as the series went on. I like Elena but her character is so boring compared to the witch Paige or Savannah. I think my personal favorite is about a necromancer that falls in love with Jeremy.

If you are looking for an easy silly read you could certainly do worse than Kelley Armstrong's series.
Flag
If you're going to go out, go out with a bang I say.

I think this episode did just that. They threw everything but the kitchen sink (though there was a bathtub) in that final fight. It was a nice "line in the sand" moment were they decided to stand their ground. But ewww...who would want to live in that place with all those bodies and blood messing things up. There was a severed head in Elena's bed for crying out loud. A head! That's one way to separate a relationship :P

I was worried Karl wouldn't come around in time. He is a good guy in the books, so I was waiting and waiting for him to finally change sides. They cut it pretty close. Also it was nice to see Laura putting her 2nd degree black belt to good use. It's always cool when an actor can use their own skills in a fight scene.

I have no idea if Bitten will get a second season. Bell Media (which owns SPACE) has their own in-house development program for shows. They may opt to create a new show instead of extending this one. And then there's Syfy...which has their own programming decisions to make. Whatever the outcome it's been a blast. I want to give a big shout-out to Llostris for taking the time to write up these reviews. Thanks for initiating this chatter space for the rest of us. :) See ya when Outlander is on and when Haven is back!
More+
Flag
Awwwww - thanks digital_dice :) You're welcome - and as always it was pleasure to discuss the show with all of you :)

Unless someone from tv.com staff covers Outlander (I doubt it) - I'll do it. And of course, season 5 of Haven is coming and so are my reviews of it:)

I agree - who would want to live in Stone Haven after that fight?! The Wolfies totally trashed the place.
Flag
The fight scenes were total rubbish! Also I don't think Laura did any of the fighting in the series. If Laura did the fighting you would have expected to see her face and other things up close in the fight scenes. You didn't in any of these. In most of the fight sequence the camera was pulled way back giving a long view of view with no discernible detail of either fighter in the sequences. Watch a Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan fight sequence and notice how they film close in and tight with the actor to show everyone that he or she is fighting.

Notice the differences The lighting is different and the entire focus of the camera is on the fighters. Now, I'm not saying that Laura couldn't do the fighting. It is just my opinion that either due to time constraints or other reasons a majority of the fighting I would gamble was done with a stunt double.
Flag
What exactly was so awesome about this episode? It surely wasn't the fight scene. That fight scenes were just stupid.

Let me ask you this-- you want to take over the Pack through total elimination of the group's members what sort of people do you hire? Super creepy serial killers and pedophiles or do you pick highly trained killers with military background? Now, maybe I'm crazy but really who wrote this drivel? The sort of drivel that makes my former Marine heart cringe at the thought of what Hollywood does. Serial Killers are creepy if you're writing a cheap Slasher Flick. However, if you ask me if you want to write a series about a coup you get people with expertise in close quarters urban combat: former members of GSG-9, SAS, Navy Seals, Marine Recon, SWAT and so on would all be good choices for finding new recruits if you want do coup. Yet, sadly the writer of source material and the writer of this televised abomination are guilty of being deeply, deeply stupid!

As they say in the US Military WE OWN THE NIGHT! And that is exactly what a smart group of Werewolves would do if they were assaulting Stonehaven.

Here is how the plan would go:

1) Malcolm Danverse would give his team the plans to Stonehaven. They would build a mock up of the floor plans and locations of secret access tunnels and so on. They would plan every move of the assault on building

2) Attack At Night-- They would use the night time to attack. The element of surprise would be in favor of the attacker.

3) Lightning Quick-- The assault would take literally minutes perhaps 5-10 minutes in all. All the tangos would be eliminated and then they secure Elena and be in and out before the local Law Enforcement Officers even got wind of the assault.

4) Remove the sensitive material.

5) Sanitize the crime. Remove the bodies, remove the bullets, sweep up the empties, and patch up the holes. Make the building look like people left it for sale.

But you know what why would anyone want to write that sort of story? I'm not saying the story has to revolve around such story telling as the actual training for the attacks. However, it would have been really nice to see a bit of realism and effective planning.

It is so much better to have a pathetic assault on the enemy... Malcolm says he doesn't care about Pack Rules-- so why follow the rules? If his goals are to readjust the power paradigm of the Werewolf Community it would make sense to develop a strike force that matches his goals. The best sort of strike force for this operation would be assembled form the groups of people I mentioned before. The entire pack would be hit hard and long and they would be dead as door nails!

Other funny issues:

I like how Elena who was going to marry Philip in a better world last week... This week Philip who? Philip-- I don't remember you. YOU say you've been in me? I doubt it? I'm more into the tall, dark, brooding types with narcissism and anger issues.

Cops-- Toronto Cops still haven't managed to find the least effective group of people to conceal themselves ever! But the Toronto Cops aren't alone in this respect they are also equally incompetent. How many dead bodies can show up on one piece of land before the Cops realize it is all connected?

Kidnapping--- They got Rachel how? Do they have psychic powers now? Do the werewolves only use one low rent motel in the area? Really how did they manage to find her in the motel?

My awesomeness scale was not impressed with this episode.

More+
Flag
The advantage of serial killers over ex-military is that they are weaker and more desperate. Thus you feel less guilt and more ease at killing them off once you have accomplished your mission.

However I agree with the military front. I advise you to go read the Anita Blake series which definitely is by far the best were/vampire series out there. The were- rats purposefully recruit ex-military. Oh and they use arsenals of guns in that series as well.
Flag
You wouldn't kill off your highly trained army. You just need to give them a motivation to maintain loyalty. Hence the reason I like the feudal system so much for this. The best would be lands and power within new pack society. It is how Henry VIII and the Iranian Revolution 1979 rewarded certain members of the revolution. So, i think the story just needs to be less about Clay and Elena wannabe "Natural Born Killers" love story and more about nuances of power in this society.
Flag
Not only that, to take over the pack you kill the alpha - that's it. Wolves are pack animals; if a new male challenges and beats their alpha they have a choice, challenge the newcomer themselves (one at a time) for alpha status or, as usually happens, accept the new alpha. That's also how pack politics change - as the current alpha ages, so the other males get testy with him. Eventually one challenger will win. So this whole 'slaughter the pack males, to take the pack' is ridiculous. I was with you too, on who you'd hire - I just sat there going 'WTF?' and 'WHY? Why would you get them and not at least mercenaries?' Mercenaries are ex-soldiers usually and so, MUCH better for this sort of (unnecessary) coup.......
Flag
Well, from what I've read about wolf social interactions is that alpha males really don't occur in the nature unless you have confined regions with a limited breeding population i.e. Islands. However, even if Alphas do not occur in nature.... Let's say they exist here in this werewolf society without question.

I agree that the overall werewolf sociopolitical make up is vague at best. First off they talk of "The Pack" in a singular form. It would seem to me that in reality this should be a like a feudal system: you could have a Werewolf supreme leader and then under leaders (barons, earls, counts ect and so on) and under them knights and finally a serfdom like class. That to me would play well into these sort of court intrigue scenarios that the writers of this series seem to want to play around with. So, I agree with that the woefully underdeveloped political and social elements are huge issues.

I disagree about killing the entire pack off. It seems to me that if you have some sort of dynastic system with a group of leading were wolf packs--than removing a pack in its entirety makes great sense. It is possible that any member of the pack who's currently in power could make a claim on the supreme leadership role. So, if you want to have total control of the society you need to remove the pack in its entirety that currently hold the position of power. Again this would only make sense if you some sort of feudal system.

As for Mercs-- they are ex-soldiers usually; sometimes ex-specially trained paramilitary police like SWAT or GSG-9. You want people who are highly trained and good at taking orders. You wouldn't want serial killers or pedophiles in your ranks. They just aren't good at taking orders. Nor do they usually play well with others.

More +
Flag
No, wolves always have a heirarchy; like most animal groups, having one leader means the social cohesion works better. Too many chiefs never ends well for anyone. The gender of the Alpha can change from species to species - males in the wolf world and females in, for example, the meerkat one. Though of course there is usually a chosen mate for the alpha.

I think the problem with werewolf politics is the writers never know whether to follow the wolf heirarchy (as they do in True Blood) or some form of human one, or a bit of both. I think the last option is the worst as it's the most messy. I think, sadly, that that's the way 'Bitten' is headed just by the mess of who they chose to do the killing and the almighty mess it made. A human heirarchy would've hired the right people for the job; a wolf one would've known how to do it quickly and cleanly themselves.

Put the two together, however, and this is the mess you get - the impression of animals without logic. Of course that couldn't be further from the truth. However, hopefully the writers can get this mess sorted by S2.
More +
Flag
The studies I've read indicate that alpha male behavior is not the normal behavior in Wolf Packs. Instead they look more like families. And that when you get too many males in a small area with a very limited number of females that is when you start to see alpha behavior. But seriously it isn't important if real wolves have alphas or not. Let's say that werewolves do have alphas.

And lets say that each alpha group is in fact lead by one person. It would make sense that you have a series of smaller packs say 5-10 members each. These would then former a larger group with maybe 10 smaller groups so you have something that looks like a Company in the Military. It is a good way to break up the group into small manageable units that can be reformed into a larger group with ease.

I personally like the idea that a feudal system would exist within this society. I think that it would give the series a good classic European Aristocratic feel to the series. They could even have their own Pope.... An anti-Pope for the dark heart of the werewolf religious types. That could be a fun avenue to explore.

I hope the series gets axed by season 2...
More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
It was one of the better and more exciting episodes of the show but still the series as a whole was not really good. Philip's head was probably the most shocking and best scene from this episode.

I actually liked Philip more than Clay though I already knew from episode one Elena will be back with Clay somehow. I expected it to be sooner.

There are somethings about the show that I just find so annoying.

1) They have use knuckles, hands and very strange rods to fight. Why can't they use guns? Is it not logical when two gangs go against each other they would use guns. Or is it because this is in Canada? Would have been so much more effective if they had guns and gun fight scenes would probably be way more cool.

2) Logan's wife is really annoying. Every time someone ask her to stay at one place, what did she do? She ran away and was caught. Which part of staying did she not understand. You would have thought she learn her lesson the first time.

3) If you watched Banshee, Arrow or even a bunch of other shows, you probably would not call the fight scenes good.

Why am I still watching. Well, my wife is a fan so I watched so that she would watch Scandal and survivor with me.

For fear of incurring her wrath, I have chose to complain here instead. Ha!

Well it is not the worse show, it is better than Believe and under the doom.

I also liked Laura Vandervoot and I do hope the show gets a second season. If not she might have the stigma of always starring in cancelled shows.
More+
Flag
1- I don't think they use guns in the books. Also, it's probably way more expensive to shoot gunfight scenes. Remember, Canadian television is nickel & dime budgets compared to anything from America. Perhaps if Bitten was a co-production they could afford more props & FX.
2- Yes she is annoying. No argument there.
3- I think the fight scenes(which are okay) are on par with other Canadian stuff like Lost Girl and Continuum. Again, I think budget heavily influences quality when it comes to action sequences. There are many American TV series(including Arrow) that are shot in Canada using Canadian crews (directors, stuntmen, cameramen). The main difference is the American productions can afford to hire the very best crews and they have the money for better sets, editing, shooting on location, props etc...
Flag
Interesting point. I just never thought of Canadian TV having lesser budget. I was thinking more of Canadian tougher law on guns than US so perhaps when two gangs fight, they would try not to use guns.
Flag
Gun fights aren't really any more expensive to shoot than non gun fight sequences. That is if you don't go crazy and try to recreate the battle of bastigone
Flag
Why would you do anything that will attract every police officer in the area when you want to keep everything quiet? I guess you could use silencers.
Flag
We call them supressors.
Flag
WOW I loved it, the fight scenes where brilliant as usual and the end with Philips head on the bed genius I can't wait for season 2
Flag
One point for originality for the bathtub fight ,how many times did they had to dive in the bathtub to get it right?
The rest of the fight was a little silly and scarce for a "storming".
Wouldn't have been easier to kidnap Elena in Toronto put her under a fertility program and harvest her eggs?
Father vs son : I wish that that story would have been better developed instead of following Santos and his incompetent crew.
RIP Phillip (finally!)
I hope they get a second season ,the series had a slow start and ok perfomance for me , may be I was expecting more from the trailer ( for example ;more dark and intelligent plot , more people in a "pack").
Flag
Totally agree on the kidnapping in Toronto bit. However it seems as if Santos wanted her to come willingly. That he would win her over by these acts.
Flag
This season's finale was awesome! I love it and this show! I want season 2! :)
Flag
I do hope there is a second season (I hold out that weird desperate hope that they open the series to at least some of the Otherworld characters, I would love to see Paige, Lucas and Savannah, leave out Eve, I'll miss her because she is so snarkily awesome but the whole ghost thing was a little hard to swallow and seriously leave out Hope too so you don't have to get all demon related, but two witches and a sorcerer, that would be awesome and the fact that the witch and the sorcerer are kind of geeky cool and, well, Savannah would still be a little kid at this point).

Having read a large amount of the books, I knew Karl would be a survivor because I know he is around for later books though he never is really a living in Stonehaven type (I always got the impression he was welcome, but he actually liked traveling). I do worry that they would drag out this whole everyone wanting Elena thing because how it shifts in the book two to how it is clear she is the next Alpha is the bigger issue for outside wolves not having her procreate (having Clay knock her up also solves many of the other issues and I think I might really like to see the twins, they seemed fun over phone calls with Paige or when Savannah stayed at Stonehaven for a bit, I mean, they were like three in the last book I read and I don't know if the audience is ready for the fact that Clay becomes almost like comic relief from here on out). That they are going out on mutt hunts again does give me hope that they, this is sad, get captured because in the escape they meet Savannah (actually only Elena gets caught, i think because that is the weird collector thing, I think).

Anyway, I am worried because we have previously heard that Lost Girl got a new season and I feel like we would have heard if this one was renewed by now.
More+
Flag
Here's hoping for a new season too... and hopefully a bit more focused than this one. Come on, clearly this show has an audience. They just have to refine this a bit.
Flag
I just wonder what kind of initial audience on Space that it had before it made it to Sy Fy
Flag
I was trying to search for stats on the internet but could'nt find anything. Maybe someone else would have better luck.
Flag
yes, I wonder if it is enough with the Canadian audience, because then maybe we have more chances to get a second season :)
Flag
Does the series finale coincide with the end of the book I can't remember the ending of it? If so, then presumably a second series would be based on book two? I'm optimistic for a second season because its down to Space and not Syfy to decide.
Flag
And Lost Girl is Showcase, right? Possible explanation of why one has announced one way or the other and why one has not...
Flag
Yes, Showcase.
Flag
Pretty close. I mean Logan was dead by the end of book one so that is a whole other story. I think while Malcolm is still around I thought there was a book between before he is defeated.
Flag
Cheers, I forgot about Logan's demise.
Flag
Logan died early in the first book--he talks on the phone with Elena and then she finds his dead body, and Pete dies midway through the book. If they renew this for a season two, I'm excited to see where they go since I thought they'd finally hit their stride and figured out the world of the TV show by the end of the season and it shows promise.
Flag
Yeah, I think they sort of flipped around Logan and Pete, I don't remember Pete later (so maybe he died in the battle we saw last night, I really am only aware of Nick and his issues going forward)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    People's List
    NEW
    ABC
  • 9:00 pm
    20/20: In an Instant Murder in the Maternity Ward
    NEW
    ABC