A Bitten Community
Monday 8:00 PM on Syfy
"A like Amateurs"

When I finished watching "Stalking" my first thought was: "OMG This show is SO stupid! Why am I even watching it?!" Since then I calmed down a bit so I'll do my best to review this week's episode. Mind that I'm still angry.

"It's a trap!"

Oh Admiral Ackbar - where are you when we need you?! You would be valuable addition to Team Wolfies - cause our werewolfs are obviously plain stupid (Elena is probably an exception) First of all Daniel Santos suggests a meeting. That sounds like a trap to me. Then some guy unloads a big box wrapped in a familiar paper - looks suspicious, doesn't it? And finally Jeremy and Antonio spot a car accident on their way to Elena and Clay - that just screams: "It's a trap! Don't you touch that woman!!!" And yet Jeremy walks straight into it. Is it me or is he a terrible Alpha? Someone should fire him. Also from what I understand Wolfies supposed to have years of martial arts training and super strenght. And yet when it comes to action they are defenseless like babies. What's even worse - Bitten's werewolfs don't have regeneration. A simple knife can kill you. I have no idea what's the point of being a werewolf then?

I'm super mad they killed Antonio. Bitten has so many boring characters. You want to kill someone - kill Philip (along with his family) or Logan! First Peter now Antonio - I can't believe they are offing the most interesting characters. It's like the writers are trying to make sure Syfy doesn't renew Bitten for season 2. I promise If they kill Nick I'm done.

"You Tube"

Zoe is really desperate to get into Philip's pants. I guess he has to be great in bed cause I see no other reason why would she want to associate with him. So how long till the two of them end up in bed? Will Elena catch them in the act? Will she eat them in rage? Please say yes!

Also am I the only one who thinks the hacking scene was just terrible?

"The adventures of Zachary Kane"

I think Zachary Kane was this episode MVP. First he introduced us to Bondage Girl. She's crazy and I love her. I hope they won't kill her straight away. I really hate the idea that Elena is the only female werewolf in the universe. If Zachary changed Bondage Girl into a wolf she could become Elena's nemesis. Now that would be awesome!

And later thanks to Zachary we got a great action scene with Elena. Also how cool was when Elena grew a talon? More of such stuff please!

"Useless"

That's Logan's new name. I know he's going to be a father. Good for him. But when Jeremy calls you answer and obey. Does he not care that Antonio was killed? I think Logan might be going for the "Mutt" title. Also he really wants a daughter. We know how it works - at this point I'm sure he will get 100 % werewolf son.

"The return of Lady Sheriff"

She's back! She found out the missing hunter's body - I guess no one told Elena she should have buried it. Lady Sheriff wanted to see Jeremy's house. Her eyes were practically asking to kiss her. And yet Jeremy was too busy bleeding and being poisoned to act on it. Typical man. Oh well - next time perhaps?

Antonio - I miss you already :(

Nick - awww :( Hugs.

Elena - Antonio told her the boys need her and she needs to take care of them. Does it mean she will stay in Stonehaven for good?

Daniel Santos - so I guess he wasn't the third part in the conflict after all? Was he allied with the Mutts all along?

As always I loved the CGI wolfs - especially blonde Elena. I could just take her home and pet all day.

I give "Stalking" 6 out of 10. I think it would be best if Elena became the Alpha. Without her the Wolfies will all die. Did you hate this episode? Share you rage!

Questions:

- Who will die next?

- Will you miss Antonio?

- Bondage Girl - should she become a regular character?
Comments (49)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This pissed me of. ...I love the bitten books. . Been reading them for years.... Why did they kill off Tony. .. Logan is the only other one that is supposed to died... And him havening a kid..wtf...I knew they would leave the books a lil behind but come on. .. Tony was a lil much. ...Might not be watching this show anymore
Flag
I'm for Bondage Girl ALL THE WAY!...but realistically, I think she's going to be bitten and we'll see "live" what happens to most women that get bitten.

I hope nobody dies next because I agree with the Mutts : Jeremy as Alpha sucks hell.

I miss Pete. Antonio dying just reinforces Jeremy inadequacy as Alpha. Logan&Rachel arc is interesting to understand werewolf politics.

P.S. OK, this show doesn't seem to have the budget for special effects for the fighting scenes...BUT the actors clearly know how to fight and it's well done (even though it's not spectacular).

Flag
My heart just broke for Nick I wanna give him a big hug. I liked this episode the show is getting better and developing it was nice to see Elena fight and show some real fire the fight scenes where great.
Flag
I was pissed that they killed off Antonio! I wish they would have stuck with the book version and killed off Logan. Out of the two characters, I liked Antonio way better.
Flag
Maybe they plan on killing Logan too. His character storyline is so separate from everyone else. I just hope they don't turn around and say that his girlfriend lied about the pregnancy and is working for Daniel.
Flag
One issue I had with the novel Bitten--even though I liked it--was the passivity of the pack/Jeremy to the threat of the mutts and the lack of action. I'm amused that the TV show is going the same route and really wish they'd pick up the pacing and make the characters more logical. They have such a rich world to work with.

I'm also sad that two of the most interesting characters (Antonio and Peter) were killed off.

Even though Phillip bores me, I'm looking forward to seeing how his campaign *using footage of his girlfriend as a werewolf* ties into the overall plot arc since there's no way its a coincidence.
Flag
yeah, I hated this episode. I mean...I didn't like anything about it. I sensed in the last episode that they were starting to deviate from the books by writing new scenarios...and in this episode it feels like they just hit a huge fork in the road and made a right into crazy town. And what's up with the pacing? Why do the writers insist on contrasting the ultra-boring happenings in Toronto with the mayhem in Stonehaven? Every time there is a tiny bit of momentum in the story it gets bogged down with lifestyle updates on Logan and Philip. I'm assuming these "side-stories" tie into the big picture later on....but right now they feel like an unnecessary distraction.

Antonio's death was really unexpected for me. I guess killing Peter was just a warm up for killing a main character later on. And I shared your frustration with the lack of regeneration ability. But when you think about it...not all werewolves in movies can heal. An American Werewolf in London, Silver Bullet and Twilight come to mind as examples where the wolf injury remained even after transformation. If Bitten had shown Antonio stabbed while in wolf form and then dying in human form it would have followed that tradition. Instead we got a strangely choreographed knife fight of just ordinary looking people. They could have written a more interesting ambush scene than that.
More+
Flag
Everytime they show what happens in Toronto I want to change the channel. Good to know I'm not the only one.

I don't know what was worse the knife fight scene or the hacking scene. They were both awful.

Also I have no idea why they introduce us to all these characters we're supposed to root for if they just kill them? Maybe Bitten is supposed to be one season series? That just doesn't make sense.

Unless the writers get their sh!t together in like 3 episodes I'll probably stop watching the show. I'm tired of telling myself "It will get better".
Flag
Hang in there Llostris! It's only 13 episodes and we just passed 7. Might as well see it to the end.
I think the next episode description says Jeremy is poisoned? Not sure if this happened during the knife fight(i.e. the blades were tipped with poison??)
Flag
Yeah, I suspect the blades were poisoned. That's the only logic explanation.

6 more episodes - do you believe Bitten will get any better? I'll try to see it to the end, but I don't promise anything.
Flag
oh and when you said "hacking" I thought...I don't remember anyone getting hacked to death. Then I realized you meant the computer hacking scene. lol
Flag
Oh bitten, bitten, bitten. What am I to do with you. This is one of those shows that you love the source material but the execution of adaption falls flat. I really want this show to succeed, but each week I am losing faith in it, and I cannot stop watching it because I am hoping it improves. The pacing of the show makes me think they want to draw out the tension, but unlike some other shows, we have not been given the chance to really fall in love and invest in some of the characters, so instead of edge of your seat tension, we get this episode. I was not thrilled about it. Antonio. I mean really? If you are going to kill one of the major characters, we should have been given more of a chance to "get to know" him and invest in him. That would have provided so much more of an impact with viewers. Since they did not the impact only falls on the characters, most specifically Nick and Jeremy.
Flag
I totally get what you are saying about investing in characters and how it helps to develop tension. Orphan Black would be a perfect example of how to do right.
I hate to point fingers, but I think whoever is steering this series (Fryklind, JB Sugar?) is not really up to the task. It feels like they are just going through the motions of storytelling and not even trying to do something different, dynamic or imaginative.
Flag
Never heard of Orphan Black, is it any good? May have to check it out. Kelley Armstrong (the author of the books) has been on defense mode since the show started. She has been telling fans that the show is a basic re-imagining of sorts and they obvs have licence to take it in the direction they want. Some fans of the book are very unhappy with the show because it does not follow to the T. Me, I'm okay with it being different, as long as it surpasses the book, which so far it has failed to do. To be fair it is still very early in the show. If they get picked up for a second season, or even a second half, that hopefully will give the writers time to assess what they have been doing well and continue to focus on it. But there are so many quality tv shows out right now that Bitten is not up to their level. For instance-Teen Wolf. A show many people wrote off just because of the premise, but actually has quality writing where they invest in both the plot and the characters. Every episode is better than the last and they are not afraid to try different story telling scenarios. And I am a freak for CW shows, although some have grow stale and you can tell they are beating a dead dog with a stick, others, like arrow (one of my faves) continues to be better and better with each episode. Both learned from their first seasons and are onto their second (for arrow) and third for Teen Wolf. I am just praying the writers find their niche because the viewers are smarter than the writers are giving them credit for.
More +
Flag
Definitely try Orphan Black. The pilot is a bit rough around the edges, but things get really intense and interesting as the series progresses. It has a nice blend of science, psychological drama, action, comedic moments and an eclectic soundtrack. And the actress--Tatiana Maslany is simply amazing.
I'm glad that you bring up Teen Wolf...because I never would have predicted liking that show. I couldn't fathom how anyone would want to watch a show based on a cheesy 80s movie. But when I finally got around to watching the first season I realized the show was nothing like the movie and had some pretty solid writing and strong characters.
Flag
pumis_wolf - Orphan Black is must see - I strongly recommend it :) Season 2 starts April 19 - so you have enough time to see the first one :)
Flag
My defense of Logan (because he might meet a very sad end but I sort of suspect they switched Peter and Logan from the story), is the rule when a werewolf gets a woman pregnant (I'm sure we will hear this soon...so, spoiler....)

If the child is a girl, super great have a nice life. You might still have the obligation to procreate someday, but you are fine with a little girl. But, if you have a boy, that boy is a werewolf. That child will become totally uncontrollable and might harm someone as soon as he is mobile. The obligation is to bring the child to the pack as soon as possible. And you may have to give up your life depending on the status of the child's mother unless she died in childbirth which actually seems to happen a lot. I actually forget what happened to Nick's mother, but she might be alive and somewhere with Nick's sister. So, Logan is hoping the kid is a girl, is hoping he can hide this fact as long as possible and can't figure out what to say to his girlfriend, but he can't really lie.

I don't actually think Elena returns to Toronto much more. But I am wondering now if the real Big Bad that I have been thinking of is actually Book 2. I remember the woman with Zachary Kane and I think I remember what happens to her.
More+
Flag
If they follow the books, and Logan does have a boy, his son will be a werewolf, but won't start turning into one until puberty. Clay was an exception because he was a bitten versus born. Have you read Raised By Wolves? Because it seems to me that you're mixing the two series up. :)
Flag
I've read all the Women of the Otherworld books through Hope's story. I think I stopped before Savannah's real independent story and I know there is a Nick centered book coming out right now. But, I haven't read the first two or three books in like over ten years (and while I liked Elena and everything, I liked Paige and Lucas' story more and I liked when Paige and Elena became friends through the supernatural United Nations thing - but that is actually introduced through Paige).
Flag
"Oh Admiral Ackbar - where are you when we need you?!"

Ha! Nicely played.

"Then some guy unloads a big box wrapped in a familiar paper - looks suspicious, doesn't it?"

What's in the booooooooooooooox?!?!?

"Bitten's werewolfs don't have regeneration."

I must have missed that...that's a rule in this show? Of course it is. Betcha Elena will eventually be the exception since she's broken the rules once.

"I guess he has to be great in bed cause I see no other reason why would she want to associate with him."

Still got a hate on for Philip, huh? He's good looking, successful and willing to put up with A LOT of crazy...even if not the most exciting guy in the world with perhaps a mother issue or two, the line-up of women would be down the block, cause there's A LOT of crazy chicks who need looking after {cough} Elena.

"Also am I the only one who thinks the hacking scene was just terrible?"

The list of terrible scenes this episode is so long, one could easily overlook it ;)

"I really hate the idea that Elena is the only female werewolf in the universe. If Zachary changed Bondage Girl into a wolf she could become Elena's nemesis. Now that would be awesome!"

100% with you about there being only one female wolf...it's such a ridiculous premise. But, if Crazy Pants survived the process two, wouldn't that completely invalidate any rule the show tries to establish. They do that and The Walking Dead producers will drop them a note saying, "Hey, playing pretty fast and loose with rules, aren't ya?"

"Also how cool was when Elena grew a talon? More of such stuff please!"

Cool...? Yes. Though if they can selective just grow claws why didn't Jeremy and Antonio use them when they were getting their asses kicked on the side of the road? {shrug}

Logan, for the time being, is my new favourite. "Hey Jeremy, go f*ck yourself! I've got bigger issues to deal with than trying to save your dumbass. For an Alpha, you sure do need a lot of hand holding...can't you take care of anything yourself? I'll get there when I get there.". He's doing EXACTLY what Elena SHOULD be doing if she had any capacity to make a decision for herself. But of course, in this show's universe, she's a girl so all but incapable of doing anything that doesn't revolve around a boy. {eye roll}

Beyond that, there isn't anybody on this show who I don't think couldn't be killed off because it's in SERIOUS need of a reset. Elena isn't going anywhere and Nick can stay. Unfortunately, Clay probably isn't going anywhere either. It's time to send out a memo to the actors, "Develop some chemistry, or you're puppy chow! And writers, that goes double for you!"
More+
Flag
Perhaps only Elena can grow claws cause she's a girl (and special)? I don't know.

IMO the only interesting (and still alive) guy in this show is Nick. He's like Roger Rabbit - he can make me laugh. And he's handsome too.

Since Clay is one of two protagonists - there is no point in wishing him death - it won't happen. However, I hope they will at least free us from Philip.
Flag
If Elena can grow claws only because she's a girl, then this would officially make 'Bitten' the most misogynistic show on TV and put it in the running of "most sexist ever". While their depiction of women is near comical...I'll put that on the writers as another example of poor continuity.

Ya, I like Nick, he can stay...though if being good looking qualifies as a death deterrent, then nobody would ever die ;)

It's true, Clay's not going anywhere, which is why I said it's unfortunate. If there is another lead with less substance...I'm at a loss to think of him. Granted, much of that also falls on the writing team since there's been very little character development thus far. All I know of Clay is that he's an immature psychopathic narcissist...who is also laughably a doctor of anthropology. But, I guess that's better than being "dull". Plus, he's pretty
Flag
I do not know how long he will last, but Santos is next on my list to die. I hope he is next. I cannot stand snakes and he is a snake in wolf's clothing.

I did like Antonio, I thought he should have been Alpha. I do like Greg Bryk, but Jeremy is just not Alpha, now that Antonio is gone (sniff), Elena should be.

Bondage girl should be bitten and then let's see. If she survives she can stay.
Flag
I agree Antonio would have made a better Alpha. Jeremy just seems so moody and depressed all the time like he wants to retire.
Flag
Great review. yes, the trap thing was funny. Two other things called my attention as well. First, the wolf video. In a time when CGI is so popular, it's a little strange at least that nobody even questioned if that was a movie sequence or some footage from a commercial or Tv show... I mean, especially when it's so obviously CGI. Showing CGI wolves in real-life scenes it's of because we buy that's what the show's special FX department can accomplish, and it's OK. But showing the characters react like it was real to a video with such effects , that makes them stupid or living in a universe where visual effects is unheard of.

Another funny thing is Philip's super-uber-hot hacker friend. We all know that's exactly what regular girls look like, right? For such an unimportant role, I wonder why they'd pick someone who really looks more like a model than a regular person. And Philip has a stoic resistance to sexual innuendos and moves. After all there's another super-hot blonde in his life! I have nothing against beauty (Genelle Williams, for instance is very pretty and looks quite real), but if you give time for the character to grow, we can buy that as a regular person, otherwise, it looks like Miss Sweden just landed on that role because the producers are going for the hot ones. Oh, well, I guess ladies must be feeling the same about the hunks on the show.

I honestly don't remember who those plucked eyes belong to. I really wasn't paying attention that episode.

Regeneration powers make an interesting point. If Antonio had turned while he was bleeding, would his wolf thing help heal fast, or wouldn't he resits the change and die right there. Probably second choice.

"Bitten" wolves don't have regeneration powers, but they can do that cool trick Elena did with her finger. That gotta count for something, right?

Now i know why there are so many guys in Elena's wolf family. So they can kill one every two weeks.

With all its flaws, this episode kept me awake and paying attention all the time, unlike last one.
More+
Flag
The hacker is Philip's ex. Given his proclivities towards Elena, he's got a type. It doesn't seem unreasonable. Though, if we're going to start questioning the casting of exceptionally good looking people for 2nd and 3rd level characters...might as well give up on TV (expecially supernatual based) shows now ;)
Flag
OK, just for the record, regarding "Miss Sweden" I didn't think she was Philip's future lover, or ex-girlfriend, his "type" or anything of the kind. I just thought she was a hacker friend who happened to be a stunning blonde, and was hitting on him. And he didn't even flinch, by the way. But if they did have more of a personal thing going on, then that may put things under a different perspective.
Flag
She specifically talks about their problems never being in bed but that she was a little too high maintenance. I imagine your eyes might have glazed over at that point...mine almost did :)
Flag
That's true. But I also admit the show hasn't held my attention for details. Ok, so if the only reliable hacker Philip knew was his ex, who happened to be a gorgeous luscious blonde, then it means the writing is as good as that of a day-time soap. But of course she was a nerdy hacker. She was wearing glasses!
Flag
I'm just imagining the scene. Something is fishy about Elena and he's determined to find out what. He gets his little black book and thinks, "Hmmm... Which of my exes should I ask for help? Let's see. Blonde chef... Blonde life guard... Blonde police detective. .. Maybe later. Blonde psychiatrist... Yeah, like I'll ever need that! Blonde hacker... There you go!"
Flag
I'd imagine Philip doesn't have many connections in the hacker world, so if his ex has some skillz...it makes sense that he'd call her...and being his ex, it makes sense that she looks like that.

I will say though that by comparison to Clay being a tenured published professor and doctor of anthropology, I've got zero problems accepting that a good looking woman is a master hacker.

That said, I think the writing at this point can only aspire to that of a day time soap.
Flag
re: "wonder why they'd pick someone who really looks more like a model than a regular person"

It seems that with someone as attractive as Elena as his current girlfriend it makes sense that to portray an ex they would also pick an extremely attractive woman since presumably that is the type the guy would go for. re: "Miss Sweden", actually she is a British-born Canadian actress, Natalie Lisinska, who had a small role in Orphan Black and was a major character in the Canadian comedy series Insecurity. She is a professional actress, not merely a model chosen out of the blue.

Flag
Bad choice of words. Yes, I know she's an actress, which I suppose wouldn't keep her from working as a model as well in case she wishes. And yes, tall beautiful blondes are Philip's type (just about every man's "type" as a matter of fact), but that doesn't mean every man gets to date them.
Flag
Thanks mad-pac :)

I guess for characters CGI wolfs have to look like real wolfs.

Zoe has to be sexy so she can take away Philip. No one would believe if Philip cheated on Elena with plain Jane.

Also I expect Miss Sweden to be a natural blonde. And Zoe has brown roots :P
Flag
I think if Philip fell for a plain Jane, that would give the show some depth. that would mean the relationship with Elena was going bad enough, not because Zoe (imdb lists her as Sylvie, by the way) was an irresistible temptress. Philip is not a naive kid or a hormonal teen.

I just to happen your icon, Caprica Six, right? In that case it made perfect sense to be a stunning blonde, or "blonde." She was made to seduce.

Well, well, there must be brown-haired women in Sweden, right. Let me tell you, from a male perspective, brown roots... Not a deal breaker! It would be the last thing I'd notice.
Flag
Sylvie, huh? Weird. I've checked - Philip clearly says: "You haven't changed a bit, Zoe"

One could argue that Zoe has highlights and not roots - but still she's not a natural blonde.

As for Number Six - she's divine. She looked stunning no matter what her hair color was.
Flag
Ok - I've checked Syfy web site and they call her Sylvie in the gallery.

Maybe I should check my hearing...
Flag
Funny, I just rewatched the scene and I heard Sylvie, and so it read in the subtitles. (And then she shouted, "I'M SYLVIE, NOT ZOE!!!") OK, Maybe that last part was not true... Agreed about Six. And that was completely in accordance with what the role required.
Flag
mangled sentence: "Showing CGI wolves in real-life scenes it's of because we buy that's what the show's special FX department can accomplish, and it's OK." Translating: "Showing CGI wolves in real-life scenes all right because we buy that's what the show's special FX department can accomplish, and it's OK."
Flag
I actually liked this episode. It was a lot better then those that we’ve got so far. And the trap thing yeah it was obvious but a lot of show’s have ‘smart’ characters do stupid stuff just to advance the episode.

I won’t miss Antonio, he gave me a feeling that he was waiting for the alpha to grow weak and take over by stabbing him in the back. I do want Nick to have a bigger role and some more screen time (+ I want conformation on what I think Antonio whispered in his ear in the next episode)

Bondage Girl was irritating and big guy should bite her so she’d die. I kept waiting for him to snap her neck, I really didn’t think he could love someone so that was a big surprise.

Finally Elena stopped being whinny (for some scenes) and is ready to take down some mutts.
Flag
We've fixed the spacing issues in this post and featured it!

We also have a fix going out today that should solve it going forward - though in the interim you'll see the same spacing issues on new posts. Apologies for the difficulty.
Flag
Thanks patsully! Now the review looks great :)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members