A Bitten Community
Monday 8:00 PM on Syfy

Television shows are a dime a dozen these days, which makes it hard to figure out which ones are worthy of your time and which ones deserve a shallow grave. And while there was once a time when just having a 'supernatural' element was enough to make a show unique, now it seems like every time you change the channel, a new vampire or werewolf is brandishing its teeth on your TV screen. Syfy's latest entry into the supernatural monster genre is Bitten, but is it worth watching or should you call the vet to have it put down? Read on and I'll tell ya!

Bitten? This sounds dangerous/possibly infectious. Is it infectious?

Bitten isn't dangerous, but it might be infectious—just not in a Helix sort of way. The series isn't about zombies, as you may've guessed from the title, but werewolves. "Not another one," you groan. Yes, sorry, another one. Bitten is a Canadian import that stars Smallville's Laura Vandervoort as Elena Michaels, the lone female werewolf in existence as she fights to live a normal life away from her pack while hiding her lycanthropic status from her new boyfriend. But when a dead body—the victim of a mutt (a rogue werewolf)—is discovered near Stonehaven, the ancestral home of the pack she left behind, Elena reluctantly returns to aid them in the search for who's responsible.

Who's in the pack, and who's the Alpha behind all of this?

Bitten is based on the first of Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld novels, and it's executive-produced by Grant Rosenberg (Lost Girl), Patrick Banister (Whistler), and John Barbisan (Whistler). In addition to Vandervoort, the series stars Greg Bryk (XIII: The Series, Nikita) as werewolf pack Alpha Jeremy Danvers, Greyston Holt (Alcatraz) as Elena's werewolf ex-boyfriend Clay Danvers, and Paul Greene (The Newsroom, Harry's Law) as her current human (as far as I know) boyfriend Philip McAdams. Steve Lund, Michael Xavier, Natalie Brown, and Paulino Nunes fill out the rest of the primary cast. 

When does Bitten wolf out on our TV sets?

Bitten premieres tonight (January 11) in Canada before officially baring its teeth in the U.S. on Monday, January 13 at 10pm on Syfy. That puts it up against MTV's own supernatural drama Teen Wolf, which just pulled in record ratings for its mid-season premiere. The show will also air opposite Intelligence on CBS, Castle on ABC, The Blacklist on NBC, and the season premiere of Archer on FX.

Who might enjoy being Bitten?

Fans of supernatural genre shows are probably the most obvious answer here, but unlike many of the other supernatural series out there, Bitten isn't set in a high school, and there aren't any vampires in sight. That means the series forgoes the customary hormonal angst that often accompanies these kinds of dramas, in favor of a more adult feel. I can't promise there won't be a love triangle down the road, but this is definitely a series that's less concerned with raging teenage hormones than much of its competition. If you like the monsters but can't stand the googly-eyes, you might take a bite out of this one.

What's tates good about Bitten?

Believe it or not, there's a lot to like about Bitten, despite its silly name. When the series begins, Vandervoort's Elena is a fully functioning adult who's been a werewolf for several years, so the show doesn't have to bother with letting her figure out how to live with the "affliction." There's no real need to discuss the dramas and perils of what it all means, except for in sessions with her therapist, Logan, who also happens to be a member of Elena's pack. Instead, Bitten can jump right in and let Elena transform within the first few minutes of the pilot, then let viewers follow along from there. 

And the lack of teenage angst is definitely a relief, to say the least. The story isn't driven by a love triangle or a forbidden romance, it's driven by an actual plot. And I know this might sound crazy, but it's kind of nice to see a genre show that doesn't also look like its actors were plucked from the pages of an Abercrombie and Fitch catalog. The more adult feel, which is especially obvious in Bitten's sex scenes (which aren't as numerous or as graphic as True Blood's, but also not as shy as the ones you'll see on broadcast), definitely makes the series stand out among its plentiful competition. 

What about Bitten bites it in the ass?

Heh. There's also a lot of stuff that'll make you roll your eyes, including the full-on CGI wolves seen when Elena and transform, not to mention the fact that common sense doesn't really apply in the show's universe. You're probably thinking to yourself, "It's a supernatural series, logic can be more lax in those!" But the logic isn't just lax, it's nearly non-existent sometimes. In the opening scene, Elena strips down until she's naked and leaves her clothing and her purse in an alley while she goes for an unexpected run in the city in the middle of the night. Um, hello, open invitation for homeless people to steal your stuff! I appreciate that Bitten takes the time to show us that she doesn't just wolf out with her clothes on and then miraculously retain her outfit once she turns back into a human, but come on! (Spoiler alert: No one stole her stuff! And even though it was raining, everything was all completely dry!) Also, apparently no one pays any attention when a WOLF runs down the street, but whatever, I've never been to Toronto, maybe that's commonplace. 

Unfortunately, a lack of basic logic isn't the series' biggest issue. For all intents and purposes, it's just another generic supernatural drama with a relatively mediocre storyline. It has a plot that's not rooted in romance, but it IS fairly cliched, and therefore it isn't the most compelling thing I've ever seen on TV. Of course, since the pilot is pretty heavy on set-up, it's possible that Bitten will improve as it progresses, but for now, it's fairly one-note. A little more complexity certainly wouldn't hurt. 

Give it to me straight: Should I watch Bitten?

I'll pretty much give any show that falls within the realm of supernatural/science-fiction/fantasy a chance, so I'm going to go ahead and recommend it to all you genre fans out there. But if monsters aren't typically your thing, Bitten isn't so groundbreaking that you'll need to carve time out of your regular TV viewing schedule to check it out. And if you're trying to decide between Bitten and its time-slot competition Teen Wolf, the latter wins paws down. Sorry, I'll show myself to the doggy door. OMG I AM DONE, I SWEAR.

Okay, well I'm stil not convinced. Can I see a trailer?

Here you go! (It's the official Canadian trailer, because Syfy apparently doesn't care enough to release it on YouTube!)

thekaitling:list:bitten-will-you-watch/

Bitten premieres Monday, January 13 at 10pm on Syfy.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/25/2016

Season 3 : Episode 10

109 Comments
Comments (109)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
i love this show!!!
Flag
when is season 2 of bitten be on tv?
Flag
I read the books years ago and was obsessed. I will definitely watch the show. I DVR Teen Wolf so I won't miss anything. Obviously not as good as the book but more mature and action packed than the teen vampire or werewolf shows or movies. I know Kelley Armstrong isn't attached to writing the scripts but still think it honors the books.
Flag
After the pilot, I read the books featuring Elana and Cliff. I fell in love with the characters. It's always hard to transition to television, but, I hope they stay with it!!!! The show writers do need to step up the pace to match the books. And, I find it disheartening that the love scenes have been with Phillip. She is with Cliff only after returning home. Apparently, reading some replies, some viewers didn't get the wedding band on Cliffs hand or the wedding band in a box left in her old bedroom. I understand some of the other changes as they work through the plot in the first book, however the charged tension between E&C is one of the major hooks. I don't think they can show the harsher side of the story at its time slot, yet, for those of us who enjoy the genre and prefer not to watch teenagers...
Flag
its fraud since they dont have Werewolves in the series anyway
and no twilight BS dogs dont count

Flag
elena? seriously?
Flag
I liked the book but it's been ages since I read it. Maybe I should give the book another try. And I'll deffently check out the show.
Flag
I really enjoyed the books when I read them years ago, and had no idea they were making a TV show about them. As much as I love TV and movies, I am foremost a book lover so I have the problem of these characters looking and sounding like nothing I had imagined! I will give Bitten a go since I did enjoy the books so much, and I have managed to get into Game of Thrones even though I has the same initial misgivings. I just need to give it a fair try I guess!
Flag
eurgh I just reread this comment and saw that I said has instead of had. This is going to bug me for ages.
Flag
Vadervoort = Automatic watch for me
Flag
thought so too till I saw the abomination they call werewolves
Flag
I am as tired of high-school-y stuff as the next non-teenage person, but teen wolf still looks better than this by the mile. I might still follow it if I have the time, and there are a few new things that might be interesting in this show, but it lacks a bit of humour for my taste. And did she have to be called Elena?
Flag
I'm so so glad there's no high-school esque teeny-bop theme to this pilot; it's the reason I haven't even considered watching 'Teen' Wolf - High school is so passe, to those who aren't in high school anymore. Regardless, Vandervoort is a great actress and I'm glad she's starring in a show :D
Flag
It felt strange finally seeing Bitten on screen...and I will admit that the casting is far from what I imagined. Bitten was Kelley Armstrong's first novel, and at the time it was supposed to be a standalone book with a serious tone. The pilot seems to reflect that moody tone...but my expectation is that it will lighten up and pick up pace just as the novels did when she extended it to a book series.

The CGI wolves were OK to me. I've seen a lot of terrible CGI lately (Helix monkeys, Lost Girl snake and OUAT:Wonderland anyone?) so by comparison the wolves were fine. One area of concern is the pacing. They only covered a few chapters in the pilot. The attention span of book readers vs TV viewers is not the same. They need more dramatic action and a lively musical score wouldn't hurt.

Not great, but I say give the series a chance even if the pilot didn't grab you. I'm in Canada, so the Teen Wolf/Blacklist/Intelligence conflict doesn't affect me...but even if it did, I would still find a way to watch Bitten through PVR or streaming.
More+
Flag
It must be ten years since I read Bitten and although I don't have the same memory of the characters, I was also disappointed with the casting. Laura Vandervoot is'nt the Elena I would have imagined and for now the Clay character does'nt seem right. I have this memory of him being portrayed with the contrast of being: simple, solid, very manly and grounded whilst obviously being intelligent. Also, Jeremy Danvers comes across as older in the book so his casting does'nt seem appropriate either as he looks close in age to Clay. Anyway, I'm a sucker for this genre and I liked it well enough so I'll keep watching.
Flag
Just gave it a try. Not as bad as I thought it might be, but probably not good enough for me to keep watching. I used to have a crush on Vandervoort but something about her face in this lowered those feelings a bit. It might be a show I watch when and if I find time with nothing else to watch.
Flag
Although the premise seems pretty "blah" and relatively non interesting, I welcome supernatural dramas, and I enjoy Laura Vandoorvaurt on my tv screen (she's been in a lot of shows I've watched over the years, Instant Star, Smallville, V. and also amazingly hot) so I'll give this one I shot, I guess.
Flag
I'll give it a try just to see Laura Vandervoort
Flag
I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had no idea they were making a television series from the bitten novels. I've read the books and when I watched the pilot, I realized I'd heard the story line somewhere before. When I clued in about the books they were basing this story on, I was so excited. "Moral is", the pilot couldn't have been too far off from the book for me to catch on. Can't wait for the next episode.
Flag
I was surprised at how close the pilot followed the book. I guess that's why it felt sort of slow. The first few chapters of Bitten are all about Elena's current life and how she's abruptly called back to StoneHaven. I can't wait for Elena to break out of her shell more.
Flag
I'm a fan of the books, but the show didn't grab me. Clay, who is my favorite character was completely out of character. Not to mention he's totally unattractive. I'm not looking forward to seeing any of his sex scenes on the show. Jeremy has been given the Hollywood M. Night Shyamalan special and was transformed from a half Asian/half white man to a full blonde haired, blue eyed unattractive dude and that blows. There was PLENTY of angst in the pilot. The whole episode was focused on trying to get Elena to come back to town and help out her pack and she spends the episode whining about not being normal.

It's like "ahhh, haven't you been a werewolf for a while now? Why are you still complaining about this? You know it can't be changed, so why is this still a topic of conversation?"

I know it was the pilot, but I was bored. I won't be missing my Teen Wolf eps. for this one. Or even my Archer. Sorry.
Flag
I think the reason for making this series is to get Laura Vandervoort naked on the set - frequently. Which in itself may not be a bad reason, but a series needs more than that going for it. Maybe. Then again...
Flag
No, and this review reads like its subtext is "watch this if you don't have much discerning taste".
Flag
Couldn't hurt to take a look touch & go style. Even if it turns out to be garbage, it doesn't mean it would turn out to be unwatchable
Flag
Loved it soo much, definitely recommend it. Having read the books I do have to reconcile myself that the casting isn't quite how I pictured, but they were all doing a great job!
Flag
I liked it & will keep watching.
As a huge fan of Teen Wolf, no comparison but I still quite enjoyed the pilot. I am also a big fan of the books!
Flag
Seen the pilot, its good
Flag
Its up against Teen Wolf... Bye Bye Bitten. Teen Wolf is outstanding.
Flag
actually it's not a SyFy's series. Its original channel is Space, so the title is pretty icorrect.
Flag
this website is of American origin, so it follows shows as they air here in the US usually. Take the show 'Continuum' for example, another Canadian show that's imported to SyFy in the US, the TV.com reviews are usually following the US air dates, even though some users are ahead of the ball on watching.
Flag
Its actually quite good.
Flag
Will give it a try, because I have nothing against the genre, and more something against the "teenager in love" shtick we get every f****** time.
Flag
I love Kelly Armstrong's 'Women of the Otherworld' series and pretty much every other book she's written so I can't wait to see how this turned out.
Flag
i really liked the books, so i'm gonna try to watch what they did with them.
I was somewhat disappointed with the pilot but well, we'll see...
Flag
Up against Archer and Blacklist? My DVR only does two shows at a time...
Flag
I was really surprised - in a good way - by the pilot. As you all said, it's targeted towards the adults. I feel like the pack's stories will be interesting. There's a lot to learn about Elena. And even if the CGI is awful, I will keep on watching for sure.
Flag
I still do not have a DVR so I have to choose what to watch, and even if I did have a DVR I wouldn't have time to watch everything... so I will probably give this one a pass. I really like Laura Vandervoort, though, so I hope the show does well.
Flag
Gee - yet another show whose cast is almost ALL male.

No thanks, I'll stick with Lost Girl - at least that show has plenty of ass kicking women in it.
Flag
The lead female gets a lot of screen time, and the pilot did include other women, her best friend and relatives of her boyfriend, a female sheriff, etc. Some of us will also weight Laura Vandervoort's presence a little more heavily given how attractive she is, even if we prefer "ass kicking women" with more action in their roles, we could watch her reading the phone book.
Flag
Well, no. Something puts off. IDK what it is. For me Teen Wolf is the only show with werewolves in it I'm watching... Reminds me Being Human starting soon. So, well, maybe not the only one after all.
Flag
Watched the first episode and it reminded me of Wolf Lake except WL never had all the nudity or CGI wolves which are going to get stale real quick. The story is based on books so we'll see if they stick to that or they deviate right away. Might be good for my 4 episode evaluation, then it stays or gets dumped off the PVR...
Flag
I don't know if you notice the amount of animals named or showed in the first episode:
-bear("bear valley")
-buffalo (newspaper)
-deer (paintings)
-coyote
-rabbit
-wolf

Flag
CGI horrible but the story may be promise something.OK
Flag
I wasn't gonna watch it, but the premise sounds better than most things around. I'm tired of teenage angst.
Flag
did they realllllly have to name her Elena?
Flag
Staff
Unfortunately, it's the name in the books, but I feel you.
Flag
Man the CGI wolfs in this were beyond awful!
Flag
I dont wanna watch it but I have huge sweet tooth for shows like this, chances are i'll be watching it sooner or later I just know it.
Flag
I already want to add True Detective, Helix, and the upcoming Looking to my weekly schedule, plus I'm still trying to catch up with Banshee, so I'm afraid I just don't have the time for standard genre fare.
Flag
I can't say for sure yet - will need to give it the 4 episode test - but the CGI wolves looked ridiculous. On another note - Vandervoort is hot as shit, so there's that. I do like the fact that it's targeted more toward adults. Can't say much about the plot, there isn't much to the pilot.

Thought it was funny that Elena's best friend (who doesn't seem to know Elena is a werewolf) is the actress who played Josh's (from "Being Human") ex-finance who also didn't know he was a werewolf until she got smashed to bits by a car.
Flag
This actually doesn't look half bad, but could they have possibly picked a worse time slot for it? Pretty sure I'll catch the premiere of Being Human, jump over to Teen Wolf, and completely forget this show in the DVR backlog.
Flag
I'm a fan of the books so I'm interested to see what they do with them. Of course I'm worried that they'll just throw the books out the window, which is kind of a shame. The world in the book goes from just werewolves to other things. I wonder how they'd deal with that, if they're lucky enough to last that long. I might have to check this out.
Flag
Just saw the first episode. I can't find anything to compare to Teen Wolf except it being about werewolves. It even seems to be targeted to a different demographic (more YA, less Teen).

That being said, it fell short of amazing. Maybe I'm biased, having watched Helix last night but, still, failed to impress. I specially found the special effects to be weird. Not exactly bad, but not good either. (Still better than "OUAT In Wonderland", tho).

If played right, this could become as good as Lost Girl. Actually, this might cater more to that fan base than Teen Wolf's.

I found it good enough to watch the next 3 episodes. And I really hope Genelle Williams gets more gets more screen time.
Flag
Well, I had little interest in this, but now that you mention Genelle Williams, I'm a whole lot more interested than ever before!
Flag
I'm from Canada so I just saw the first episode. I didnt mind it too much, defently gonna tune in to the next episode. Gonna be interesting to see how it does in America with it going against Teen Wolf.
Flag
I don't think "Interesting" is the correct word - unfortunately. It's been given a nightmare time-slot for a genre show so I suspect it will tank, but thankfully it's a Canadian show, so even if it does tank in The US it will (possibly) still live on.
Flag
yeah, I don't know what Syfy was thinking. That's a terrible time slot for Bitten! I also heard one actor say that Syfy and SPACE will show slightly different versions. Care to take a guess as to which network airs the edited one?
Flag
All I'll say is thank God I got the new DVR so I record 4 shows and watch a 5th. Monday's get anymore crowded, I'm going to have to cull the heard!
Flag
This looks ok but it has to like up to the standards of teen wolf who already have a steady supply of fan ands it warranted hopefully this show is just as good.
Flag
I think I'll stick with Teen Wolf.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members