A Bitten Community
Monday 8:00 PM on Syfy

THEY GROW UP SO FAST

... Girl Meets World, the spin-off sequel to Boy Meets World starring Rowan Blanchard as the offspring of Cory and Topanga, has been picked up for a full season, earning an additional eight-episode order (for a total of 21) ahead of its series premiere. Unlike many people, I've yet to experience any real joy from the knowledge this show is happening, because so much is riding on it. If the series tanks, it risks tarnishing the legacy of what was a defining series for many children and teens growing up in the '90s. This early full-season order quells my fears a bit, but it's still a game of wait-and-see. And because there's still no premiere date, we may still be waiting for quite a long time. [TV Guide]

BUSINESS TIME

... It seems like Syfy has received my memo about the hunky werewolf hunks the network put Bitten up against on Monday nights at 10pm, because as of Monday, January 27, Bitten will now air at 8pm, and Lost Girl will move into the 10pm time slot. Wise move, Syfy Schedulers, because a show in its fourth season already has a loyal group of fans, where as Bitten is still trying to grow one. I approve of you deciding to listen to me. And in case anyone is wondering, Being Human will remain at 9pm. [Syfy via press release] 

... Fox has picked up Utopia, a new reality series that features 15 people moving to an undeveloped location in the U.S. for an entire year. Once there, they are tasked with building their own civilization. Based on a series currently airing in the Netherlands, the show's contestants must make themselves indispensable members of the group, or risk the possibility of being eliminated. The original series replaces those removed from the show, but it's unclear whether or not the Fox version will do the same. [Deadline]

... Everyone's all up in arms because Duck Dynasty's ratings are the lowest they've been since 2012, but news flash, that was still like, only a year ago, people. Stop flipping out, because we're barely three weeks into 2014. Anyway, after returning to only 8.5 million viewers and a 3.3 rating last week in the aftermath of a controversial kerfuffle you may have heard about, the series took another slide this week. The show only managed to pull in 6.65 million viewers and a 2.9 rating. Second news flash, those numbers are still better than those that many shows of quality pull in, so shut your trap and let me cry about Looking's atrociously low ratings in peace. [Variety]

... Grey's Anatomy fans, you can stop holding your breath (or maybe you should start, I don't know how that works) because Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo have both signed new two-year contracts! Yay! Break out the bombs inside people and the plane crashes! And get excited for more melodramatic relationships! This show is going to live forever! Okay, fine, ABC hasn't officially renewed Grey's past this season, but with Meredith and McDreamy now signed on through Season 12, it doesn't look like the series is going to flatline anytime soon. [TV Line]

... Hulu will premiere Long Story, Short, a new series about a 21-year-old gal looking for love and adventure in the city, on February 15. The city in this case is Toronto, which obviously means someone from Degrassi has to show up eventually, and Lauren Collins is totally slated to appear, but the star of the series is actually Katie Boland (Reign's Clarissa!). Boland is also the creator, writer, and producer of Long Story, Short and she's younger than I am, so congratulations on being better at adulthood, Katie! [Hulu via press release]

... Attention everyone who predicted Mike Peterson would become Deathlok on Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., you were right. Executive producer Jeph Loeb confirmed his first appearance will be next month. Also joining the series is Lorelei (Elene Satine), which explains why Sif (Jaimie Alexander) is crossing over; The two will be battling it out. [Deadline]

... Colin Jost has been announced as the new co-anchor of Saturday Night Live's "Weekend Update." He'll join Cecily Strong and take over co-hosting duties from Seth Meyers on March 1. Jost joined the SNL writing staff in 2005 and has been head writer since 2012. Apparently he's also been nominated for something called an Emmy at least seven times for his work on the series. [THR]

... ABC has ordered a new drama from David O. Russell. He's that guy who did that movie that one time. You know the one. It had Jennifer Lawrence and wasn't about kids murdering each other for Donald Sutherland's delight. It's right on the tip of my tongue. Man, if only it had won more awards, or maybe if there'd been more press for it—I bet then I'd remember what it was called. Oh well, Russell's as-yet-untitled drama has been ordered straight to series, probably because people who make TV love people who make movies. It's being described as a soapy “upstairs/downstairs" kind of thing set at a country club. Gee, I hope they cast Jennifer Lawrence. [EW]

... The CW hasn't made a decision on whether or not to move forward with the semi-autobiographical pilot that Lauren Graham is working on for the network, but the project finally has a title. Based on Graham's novel Someday, Someday Maybe about an aspiring actress in New York City who's coming up on her self-imposed deadline to find success, it's going by the working title of Unfamous. Last week, at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour, CW prez Mark Pedowitz said the pilot had been turned in and that it was "excellent." It's not a genre series, which is the only thing that has me worried about its fate, but the network did give both The Carrie Diaries and Hart of Dixie a chance, so let's all form a prayer circle around our Gilmore Girls DVDs and hope for the best. [TV Line]

... Transporter the Series is being transported to American TV! TNT as acquired the rights to the action series based on the film The Transporter. My new year's resolution was to not complain about TV show adaptations, and since this one is already filming its second season, I suppose there's no point anyway. The show will premiere on TNT in late 2014. [TNT via press release]

... Judith Sheindlin, a.k.a. Judge Judy, has a new courtroom series coming to TV this fall. Called Hot Bench (not a joke), it will feature a panel of three judges who'll hear each case, deliberate amongst themselves, and then deliver a ruling. I hear that Judy came up with this idea while watching American Idol, but that could just be something I just made up. [Variety]

... How I Met Your Mother doesn't often switch up its opening credits, but when it does, it's usually for a good reason and result is usually very funny. In honor of the series' 200th episode, which airs Monday, January 27 and is called "How Your Mother Met Me," there show will air a new opening featuring the Mother. It's currently exclusive to EW, so you'll have to head over there to watch it, but I promise it's pretty cool. [EW]

... NBC has given a pilot order to Rob Lowe's new sitcom project, The Pro. The single-camera comedy stars Lowe as a former tennis who's champion working at a tennis and golf club, where he reunites with his ex-doubles partner after a heated feud that kind of screwed up both of their lives. [TV Line]

CASTING NEWS

... Friday Night Lights' Adrianne Palicki is leaving Texas for California. She's joining Jason Katims' newest series About A Boy as a possible love interest for Will (David Walton). Her character, Dr. Samantha Lake, will appear in seven episodes. [THR]

... Nick Zano will drop by Mom for two weeks as a love interest for Anna Faris's Christy. He'll first appear in the February 3 episode as David, a dude who still lives the party lifestyle, which challenges Christy's sobriety. [TV Guide]

... The Crazy Ones is staging a Mork & Mindy reunion! Pam Dawber, who co-starred with Robin Williams for four years on the show about an alien (Williams) who came down to Earth, guest-star in an upcoming episode of the CBS comedy. She'll play an author named Lily who's lucky (unlucky?) enough to catch Simon's eye. [TV Guide]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/7/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

42 Comments