Black Books

Party

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Apr 15, 2004 on Channel 4

• On a friday night, manny, fran and bernard decide to go to a party where manny finds a girl he likes.

A series like this deserves a better finale. This is one of my favourite shows ever and i really was hoping for a better episode, though it is better than some shows best episodes. The scene where they all dance is brilliant; it's amazing how they can all dance so hilariously. Every time Bernard says Rowena in his high pitched voice is great. And the end scene where Manny leaves Bernard downstairs with ear muffs on his genius. This is one of my favourite shows of all time, and one have two of my favourite characters (Manny and Bernard) but this episode wasn't good enough for me as a series finale. Though if you haven't seen it i still recommend watching it.
  • I don't know what it is about this episode, but it's unforgettable. Perhaps it's seeing the more vulnerable side to Bernard, who knows? But it's one of those episodes that just stays with me. Very special

In this episode, we start with a bored Manny and Fran trying to convince Bernard to leave the shop on a friday night and go to a party being held by some of Manny's friends. Suspicious of Manny's enthusiasm, Bernard begins to question his true intentions...and learns to his shock that Manny is interested in a young lady named Rowena. And so, Bernard agrees to go to the party, if for no other reason than to meet this person who may like Manny. As Bernard puts it: 'I'm trying to picture this girl who likes you, and all i can see is you in a dress'

And so, after a night of heavy drinking, they return to the shop. Following an 'interesting' dancing competition in which all three are left gasping for breath, Manny has a rant at Bernard for not having any feelings and accuses him of not knowing what love is. To his shock, Manny learns that Bernard was once engaged but his fiance had died. Of course, this is all too serious for Black Books, so once Bernard is out of the room, Fran reveals that his fiance never really died...she faked her death to get out of marrying Bernard. Manny, of course, spills the beans and Bernard is less than impressed.

This is one of those episodes that is funny all the way through but has a really interesting plot beneath it. It's very cleverly woven and full credit is to be given to the writers. It's got us in tears of laughter at Fran's 'circusize' class and feeling incredibly sympathetic towards Bernard, which is quite a deviation from the norm. As a series finale, i don't think we could have asked for better. It had me laughing all the way through and yet left me feeling as though it had ended at its peak. A very worthwile episode rich in both comedy and plot. 10/10 and a round of applause!