Black Lagoon Forums

Saturday 12:00 AM on TV TokyoIn Season

What do you like most about BL?

ensatsu-ken

[1]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 19
    This thread is simply about stating the thing that you love the most about this show. For me its very simple. I love the gunslinging action of this show, its so awesome !
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

djux1x

[2]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 3
    Yeah of course the action, but also the jokes surrunding these events. Best example in my eyes is the bulletproof bar in the first episode.

Shadow-Elite

[3]Mar 31, 2007
    • level: 1
    I just like the action and Revy of course

blue_three

[4]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 1

I like:

-the action

-the fact that the guns actually exist in real life

-the variety of the characters

-and the fact that it doesn't try to romanticize the criminal world

And Shenhua of course.

Shadowkira

[5]May 5, 2007
    • level: 7
    I love the action, the characters and in the subbed version the "engrish" And Revy's character is just awesome

4kids_Die

[6]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 2

I love:

-the action

-the character development

-the subtext messages, not morals, like 'bad things happen to innocent people

-Revy

-no romaticizing of the crimanal world

-the character die for a purpose, even if all that purpose was 'you were in Revy's way'

gotpho

[7]Jun 12, 2007
    • level: 4
    I love the criminal world and it's realism in this anime.I also love the dark comedy.

Chikazu

[8]Jul 21, 2007
    I've only seen the first 4 episodes, and so far I love all of it. Rock is especially amusing! As an office worker I could easily see kicking lose the shackles in favor of becoming a pirate!

AgentMasterson

[9]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 8
    It's an awesome show. It has lots of great action and wicked cool characters. I like the setting also. On the outside it looks calm but there are tons of criminal activity going on. Revy is awesome.

enctv

[10]Jul 25, 2007
    • level: 14
    I completely agree it is the characters that make Black Lagoon. The character development, i wish there were more, I would really love to see how Rock develops. The manga is more comedic then the anime, but the anime gives it fantastic realism of violence and walking a thin line.

dju010

[11]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 88
    Have you seen the second season too? In the end it should be obvious: Rock no longer is the good guy among the pirates, he became one of them too - a violent criminal.

enctv

[12]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 14

dju010 wrote:
    Have you seen the second season too? In the end it should be obvious: Rock no longer is the good guy among the pirates, he became one of them too - a violent criminal.

I will say that Rock is teetering over the line of violent guy, I won't say criminal just yet. But yes that final arc was a big "WHOA!". But if you read the Manga you would see drawings of Rock holding a gun and looking comfortable with it. One of the things that I would have loved to see is the development of Revy and Rock's relationship after Japan. I would also like to know more about Revy's background.

Is anyone aware if there will ever be more Manga or Anime, Wikipedia gives more detail about the characters of Black Lagoon so somewhere there is something about Black Lagoon.

Angus_Mac

[13]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 71
    I like that it is made for adults, and stays that way.

Action-packed episodes.

Even though it has a lot of cursing and bullets, it all seems appropriate for that gangster world and it isn’t super depressing like Gunslinger Girl.

Whoever cast Megumi Toyoguchi (Ran in Super GALS, Winry in the Japanese FMA) for Revy is a genius.

I need a can of Heirenken.

dju010

[14]Jul 27, 2007
    enctv, I haven't read it. But I don't think there will be another TV season. The show is officially ended, but who knows... An ended/canceled status means nothing these days.

Chikazu

[15]Jul 28, 2007
    Indeed, something for adults! I crave stuff that isn't sugary, doesn't have some harem nonsense going on, and has realistic looking characters. As an adult woman, I am sick and tired of 15 year old girls who put Playboy bunnies to shame!

BadKarma99

[16]Aug 10, 2007
    • level: 5

What do I love about this show? The action, the dark humor, the characters, the stories. I'm so looking forward to seeing how things work out in upcoming volumes.

Angus_Mac

[17]Aug 15, 2007
    With all those bullets flying, could it be The Matrix?

Rock - Neo - salaryman makes his escape from that world
    Revy - Trinity - esp with the twin guns and exceptional acrobatics
    Dutch - Morpheus - the cool leader boss always wearing shades
    Benny - Tank - the human-born who engineers the ship
    Sister Eda - Jana Pinkett Smith's character - I remember she kicked some butt too.
    Sister Yolanda - Oracle - you don't know whether to trust her or what
    Balalaika - ?
    Roberta - Agent Smith - unstoppable adversary from season 1
    OK the analogy breaks down from there.
    Edited on 08/15/2007 8:31pm
    Edited 3 total times.

BadKarma99

[18]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 5

LOL! Great analogy!

dju010

[19]Aug 23, 2007
    OK, I'm not the same opinion. I try to explain, but the entire thing might contain some spoilers. So be aware.

The Revy - Trinity analogy doesn't really work as Revy is always the boss. Trinity just shows the way at the beginning of the Matrix movies, then is the humble companion. Revy stays in control even when Rock is the boss. In the matrix movies, Neo is soon the best fighter - well here it ain't even Revy. She's in the top 3, but she is beaten by Roberta and I don't even wanna know what Balalaika could do. The few parts we see and hear is that she saved her squad several times all on her own during war.

Dutch and Benny certainly have strong similarities, but then it's already over for me.

I mean especially when we finally learn who Sister Eda is, then that doesn't work anymore.
    Rock never makes it that far as Neo, Rock becomes part of the system, while Neo always stays outside to battle it.
    Yolanda, the Oracle? She's so deep in the dirty mess - she controls the weapons market - how can someone like that be an Oracle?
    Roberta reminds me more on these fight robots/stations in the last battle scene of Matrix.
    Also Dutch barley ever is in the big action. He is on the Nazi ship, but that's almost all. Morpheus likes to get in the fights too, he leads people into the fights. Dutch relaxes and sends Revy in.

While Revy and Trinity share the guns, there's another big difference: Revy likes to kill, while Trinity does everything just to stay alive. Revy needs to fight, otherwise she would go crazy. Trinity fights because she doesn't have much choice.
    One last thing: Trinity loves Neo, but Revy certainly doesn't love Rock. At some point Rock might like her, but as far as I can tell Revy isn't even capable of that feeling anymore. She doesn't even love herself - just the killing and the edge of surviving when running into battle.

Angus_Mac

[20]Aug 25, 2007
    Trinity isn't as action oriented as Revy, but heck, if she were as hyper crazy like Revy and not so lovey-dovey, the movie sequels would be a lot more fun.

Haven't seen Sister Eda in action yet (i'm still stuck in season 1), so that was just a wild guess since I heard she was involved with the team more in the second season there really isn't much of an Agent Smith big adversary in the series.

I haven't seen Rock rejoin the old corporate world yet. Rock gains more confidence throughout the series, fueled by his "I'm sick of being a peon" premise, and he still retains some politeness and professionalism from that world, whereas Neo is just doing his Keanu Reeves "Whoa" thing, and he's already wearing those dark clothes with the shades like everyone else.