A Black Sails Community
Saturday 9:00 PM on Starz

Black Sails S01E05: "V."

It finally happened! The pirates of Black Sails finally did pirate-y things—most notably, getting on a boat and hitting the water. Captain Flint hadn't even gotten his feet wet since partway through Episode 1; as of late, he's spent more time on a horse than he has aboard a ship. So I was just as shocked as you were to see The Walrus finally set sail, given that Black Sails has spent its last few episodes embroiled in pirate bureaucracy. And ultimately, I think the wait was worth it, because "V." was Black Sails' best episode since the series premiere.

A busy week means I can't put together a more in-depth review, but there are a few things I'd like to discuss before I leave the floor to you. Flint's siege on Captain Bryson's boat was incredible, and proved that when Black Sails wants to put together a sea-bound action sequence, it's perfectly capable of doing so. I loved how the attack was shown mostly from the perspective of The Walrus (in contrast to the premiere's choice to show an attack from the victims' point of view), and I also loved how, when it all went down, we witnessed the conflict specifically through Dufresne's eyes. I'll go ahead and assume that most of us haven't ever aggressively boarded a giant ship in the middle of the ocean, so Dufresne became our avatar, and really nailed the way a man must transform himself into a savage beast to survive such an attack. Dufresne, who usually sinks his teeth only into numbers as Flint's accountant, ripped out a man's throat with a bite! YESSS!

Even the preparation for the big battle was fun to watch. Seeing how much work goes into gaining an extra knot or two in speed and watching Billy Bones lay out the plan of attack is the kind of inside-pirate-baseball stuff that I'm interested in. Ultimately, Flint took control of Bryson's ship but also fell into a trap. Bryson and his men fortified themselves in a reinforced hull while another ship from the Royal Navy bore down on the dock boats, stranding Flint in the middle of the ocean with some difficult decisions to make. Whatever happens when the action picks up again is going to be very interesting. 

As for the rest of the episode, it was generally overshadowed by the big battle. I found myself dozing off anytime Eleanor's business problems came up, and I don't think there should really be a question for her—lift the ban on Vane, it's that easy! And sorry, Max, but let's be honest, the worst has already happened to her. Rackham's takeover of the whorehouse was slightly more compelling, but I agree with the disgruntled crew: Let's get Captain Vane on a ship, because I want to see what this guy can do. Oh, and we saw a pirate abortion. Yikes.

Well, that did you think of "V."? For me, it mostly brought the series back on course, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/26/2016

Season 3 : Episode 10

40 Comments
Comments (39)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The best episode by quite some margin.
Flint finally showing what makes him a great captain. Billy is awesome, a natural quartermaster. Next episode should be even better.

PS: Pirate abortion...seriously? by using a cylinder pump!!!
Flag
Eleanor and Vane is what's driving it for me. I guess it's not a surprise for the female audience. I hope their story will build up more in the (near) future!
Flag
Oh ARGGGHH what a fantastic episode best one so far , It really needed two barrells because if stayed on that bloody island too much longer they would ended up with verbal diarrhea or of a biblical proportions. I liked the storming of bryson ship very well done action scenes although i agree the vampire bit was primal to say the least. I assume Vane will speedboat down to help flint as I find hard to believe that the other ship turned up at the exact moment Bryson Ship was in trouble that Satelitte phone came in handy LOL. I am not really bothered by Elelanor story she made her bed she lies in it although could'nt done without the abortion scene that had Micheal Bay written all over it. Still looking forward to next adventure OHHH ARGGGGHH (By the way a lot more interesting then the Walllowing)
Flag
There was no need to dose off during Eleanor's sequences because they were directly connected to what happened off-shore, adding a lot to the increasingly perilous situation Flint and his gang are in.
Flag
they finally get on the boat and the episode was good.
Flag
Every Episode was great, not only this one
Flag
Good Episode but not as best because I still liked episode 3 better. One thing I am still wondering is that Jack seems very loyal to captain Vane even though he is now. Are they changing history? As far as I know, Jack led a mutiny on him. I liked both characters but the writers should really give them something to do beside buying whore house.

Lastly shouldn't more pirate captains be trying to snatch the log page (in this case John Silver) from Capt Flint since they are so much money at stake? Or is it because no one actually believes they can successfully hunt down the ship.
Flag
Yarr, 'tis was a really jolly episode, most likely th' best 'o th' season. Finally thar was some dead serious piratin'.
Flag
I've remained patient throughout the first 4 episodes, I quiet liked them. This episode was the best, I knew it as building to something awesome. If the momentum keeps from this episode this could be a bloody great show!
Flag
Great episode! I love how they showed it from Dufresne's POV. I was thinking the whole time that he was going to die, lol. I was really relieved when Billy found him and helped him up.

I was a bit annoyed with Eleanor for being so stubborn about Vane. I know she's pissed, but hopefully she will see reason before it is too late. I like Eleanor for the most part, but sometimes I don't think the character is written very well.

I really want more Anne Bonny! I hope they give her more to do on the show soon.
Flag
Not another vampire show!
Flag
This was definitely the best episode so far! While I did like the others I felt like not enough happened so I was pretty relieved after watching this one.
I like Flint and his entire crew, as well as Jack Rackman and Anne Bonny (she's fabulous!)
I don't not like Eleanor but I sometimes find her a bit annoying- obviously she's going to have to lift the ban on Vane, she has no other choice! However, I feel like I'm going to get to like her better as the show goes on.
I don't want to watch poor Max have horrible things happen to her anymore so I'm hoping Anne Bonny might teach her to defend herself because I'd like to see that.
Great episode, I hope we get more like it!
Flag
Finally, after an only okay pilot followed up by three snore fests we get a good episode. And not just good in comparison, but actually good. It might even have been great if they hadn't kept going back to Nassau. I don't care about Silver, I don't care about Eleanor or her dad, I don't care about Max, and I don't care about Vane as long as he's mopping around. The show's in it's fifth episode and Vane' been a sorry sad sack for like three of them, they haven't earned it and it's committed the greatest of television sins, it's boring. I know it won't happen but just cutting out Eleanor would improve the show so much, I don't think I've ever had a show where I disliked one of the good guys so much, she's not smart, she's not strong, she's just annoying and the girl that plays her look like she's thirteen. I don't need every episode to feature boardings and fights but the only interesting characters are Flint and his crew, Jack's also good, I like Jack. Put Jack on the Walrus and burn Nassau to the ground and you've got yourself a hit.
Flag
" I don't care about Silver," this is a prequel to Treasure Island , where Silver is the antagonist, cannot avoid him!!
Flag
the episode was only so-so at best in my opinion. the actual ship-boarding scene I felt was pretty poorly done, like I'm fairly certain I saw that dude whose leg was supposedly blown off walking on two while holding the prosthetic afloat. and not seeing what was going on on the other ship while they're all ducking behind their ships siding made me think "budget woes". I enjoyed the dude trying to sniper the other ship's pilot. I'm curious why the armendie's two steerers took shots to the shoulders though, seemed redundant and not at all satisfying. I enjoyed billy getting back on board with flint.

I like vane, pretty pirate-male and pretty pirate-female quite a bit so virtually any scene they're in wakes me up. I think pirate w/ sunglasses is my favorite character, then billy, then anne bonny(?) then silver and then quartermaster, flint and vane all hold about the same level of interest for me. if vane had more to say he could easily move up the list though.

guthrie saying no to lifting the ban on vane is just mind boggling and annoying. it seems to serve no other purpose than to draw ire from the audience. at least that's the only purpose it serves in my mind.

again seriously lacking gratuitous nudity. for shame.
More+
Flag
I really want to like this show, but none of these character are that interesting. The show's pacing is too slow for me I guess because I feel like the characters probably have some interesting backstory but the show moves so slow I won't see anything for a long time. I've said this before, but the first four episode of this show were like a pirates politics/economics course, very boring. This episode actually had some action, but too little to keep me interested.
Flag
yeah it really feels like they're stretching thin an already insubstantial storyline.
Flag
I like this series sure it started a bit slow but it's getting better every ep!
Flag
I tried. I really did try after reading your advance review but I switched off after about fifteen minutes. I know, you'll probably tell me I did'nt give it long enough but once interest is gone its gone and those first fifteen minutes did nothing to keep me hooked. (pardon the pun) Its a definite goodbye Black Sails.
Flag
I agree: we finally get some action. The pirates prep & boarding of Bryson's ship was as intense as the opening minutes of Episode #1. And, the cruel way that Bryson's treated the black slaves in the hull of his ship, makes the point that it's not just the pirates who are savages. As for Eleanor and her attempts to save the family business, I think it's a storyline worth exploring--but the writers just need to use more skill in their storytelling.

Now the question is: can Black Sails do a repeat, and string together two good episodes in a row.
Flag
This is great to hear!
Might binge watch all the episodes tonight.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members