A Black Sails Community
Saturday 9:00 PM on Starz

TV networks. There are so many of them! And they're constantly putting out new shows, faster than we can watch them, even! One such network is Starz, which has had a hard time breaking into the top-tier of premium cable channels despite giving it a B-plus effort. Also, in Starz's case, that "B" stands for "blood and boobies." The network's latest series is Black Sails, a new pirate drama which seems to perfectly fit its brand full of mayhem and mammaries. But is it good? I've seen the first episode, and I will help you figure out whether it's right for you in another edition of Hey TV.com, How Many Boobs Does Black Sails Have?

Black Sails, so is this Troy Barnes' Community spin-off?

Nope! This one's all about pirates. Set in the year 1715 amid the cerulean waters of the Caribbean, the big-budget Black Sails is being pitched as a prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island, and indeed, many of the characters from that classic are present. Captain Flint is the centerpiece, and he and his crew of plunderers sail the seas booty-hunting, with the main prize being a famed five-million-piece haul of whatever currency they're using from a mysterious Spanish galleon. A pre-fish-sticks-master John Silver and first mate Billy Bones are both along for the ride, along with fair dame Eleanor Guthrie, the powerful daughter of the biggest black marketeer in the region. The action bounces between the high seas and New Providence Island, a hunk o'land that serves as a pirate sanctuary. 

Who christened this series, and who are the players?

The show is frequently referred to as Michael Bay's Black Sails, as he's an executive producer, but it was created by Jonathan E. Steinberg (Jericho, Human Target). As for the cast, it's going to be a lot of people you're not really familiar with. Brit Toby Stephens plays Captain Flint, Brit Hannah New plays Eleanor, Aussie Luke Arnold plays John Silver, Smallville's Jessica Parker Kennedy plays the crafty prostitute Max, and Shameless's Zach McGowan plays the villainous Captain Vane. I'm meeting most of these people for the first time, too.

When does Black Sails set sail?

Black Sails premieres on Saturday, January 25 at 9pm on Starz. Starz has already renewed the show for a second season, I'm guessing because it already had the boats so why not? But also because Starz is crazy like that. 

Who might enjoy Black Sails?

If you have a peg leg, an eye patch, and there's a bunch of parrot shit on your shoulder, then there's a good chance you will dig Black Sails. And if you're a fan of Starz's previous adventure series like Spartacus, you'll find a similar recipe here. Admittedly, I haven't seen everything Starz has put out over the last few years, but this appears to be one of the more polished series the network produced, and viewers looking for escapist fare with some impressive scenery will find plenty to like.

What's arrrrrrrright about Black Sails?

Boobs! Let's not kid ourselves, Starz has a reputation and Black Sails does nothing to tarnish it. You watch a Starz show because you expect boobs, and Black Sails has boobs. Sometimes gratuitously. But hey, this is a show about pirates—of course there will be boobs. Here's the thing, though: I'm also totally into the story! It's obviously using Game of Thrones as a model for the twisted alliances and motives, but it has enough interesting characters to support that. And at the center of everything is Captain Flint, who is instantly awesome. Well-spoken and consumed by the possibility of wealth, Flint hatches a few plans that are so crazy they may just work, and Stephens is great in the role. Also, Black Sails has lots of hot women who curse a lot, and I like that.

What elements of Black Sails should be thrown overboard?

It comes off as cartoonish at some points, which isn't too bad, but also doesn't help establish Black Sails as an entirely serious drama. And I can't see the show spending too much time on the high seas because of budgetary restrictions, so much of the action will be land-locked and strip away from of the pirate mystique. Oh and speaking of pirate mystique, don't expect these pirates to be the pock-marked, yellow-toothed, flea-ridden dirtbags of lore. Some of these guys are pretty. And the women? No wenches here, they've all been plucked out of a modeling agency. I know, BOO! And finally, this may sound a bit weird, but I would've appreciated a little more violence in the first episode. Would it have killed the effects crew to show us a cannonball crushing a guy's head or a sword slicing open someone's intestines? Black Sails is child's play compared to the ultra-violence of Spartacus

So, should I watch it?

I'm just as surprised as you are that I'm excited about a Starz series, but I say, "Aye, matey." It's no award-winner, but it's a fun time. I'm eager to see Episode 2.

Yar, show me some trailer!

Aye aye, captain. But you can also see the full first episode for free right here. It it's an edited version, though, so why would you want to do that?

Black Sails premieres Saturday, January 25 at 9pm on Starz.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/26/2016

Season 3 : Episode 10

67 Comments
Comments (67)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I finally binge watched it, and i have to say, the teeth are too white... but it's an excellent show nonetheless, 2nd season being much better, and the finale beyond awesome !!
Flag
pass
Flag
I have watched the first episode already but probably have to watch it again if I want to see the boobies and a bit more profanity. That was scarce on the one I saw. But I'll keep watching anyhow a bit more.
Flag
You know why Starz isn't HBO? First off, duh. Secondly though, their fucking name is "Starz" with a goddamn "Z", do they think this is the 1990s with that extreme z mania, and what really does the word "stars" denote anyway, that there are celebrities appearing in the programs they air? BFD! The name is utterly stupid on its own and gives no encouragement that anybody there is making good enough decisions for the average cable viewer to shed an extra $15 a month or whatever it costs to subscribe to "Starz". (At least they dropped the punctuation from their name, leaving "E!" to suffer that indignity alone.)
Flag
I resent your distaste of the letter "Z"
Flag
No worries, it's only about words that normally end in "s" but had a "z" for extremeness. "Wordz!"
Flag
"Black Sails, so is this Troy Barnes' Community spin-off?" Seriously? Because Troy is black you make a race joke about him being on a boat? That's pretty poor. If Jeff left Community the same way as Troy and the show was called 'White Sails', you'd have never ever made that joke. I know there was no intent, but still.
Flag
I thought it was smirk & chuckle-worthy, and I suspect Tim would have made the same joke given the timing if it had been a white character and this show's title were "White Sails". It wasn't a masterpiece of a joke on his part, but it wasn't in any way hateful, it was a topical thing, the character is black and is sailing, referencing that alone isn't remotely hate speech, and I find it in poorer taste to assign negativity to being able to observe a pun based on ethnicity than on the joke itself.
Flag
Really? Smallville's Jessica Parker Kennedy?? Where is TV.com's obligatory shout out to The Secret Circle? Not cool)
Flag
i love this show so much

Flag
OK, that's a cool poster.
Flag

thank you i'm really glad you like it

Flag
Where did you find it?
Flag
I have to admit, the premiere was pretty epic! I love the guy from Shameless in this pirate role, seems to suit him perfectly! And the shots of the clear, blue water--I can never get sick of that (Canada is too cold). Aye Matey!
Flag
Twisted alliances and motives shouldn't be associated w/ GoT but w/ Pirates of the Caribbean especially in this case.
Flag
I'm hoping your comment is implying that Black Sails & Pirates of the Caribbean have the socio-political maturity of a turnip in comparison to GoT. If not, I disagree with your comment and am crying in a corner. If so, I agree on principle, but think that Black Sails is slightly smarter than Pirates of the Caribbean.
Flag
PoC thrived on shifting alliances long before GoT became popular and I meant in this context it would have been more appropriate a comparison.
Flag
I was reading GoT before PoC was a glimmer in a producer's eye, but I'll concede the pirate comparison.
Flag
FUCK STARZ !!!

I am going to boycott your network. The only reason I got Starz was for Boss and Magic City. Time for me to move on.

Flag
To clean spotless clothes, to strong colours, to well shaved and clean faces. Sorry Tim, but to me this has nothing to do with SPARTACUS.
And that woman having sex almost at the end of the trailer, she looks so fake, so much to learn from LUCRETIA ;)
Flag
First episode was a bit slow at parts but that's common since it was over an hour long, but I think it has a lot of potential!
Flag
Just another lame Starz show with all the usual cheap tricks to gain horny male viewers. Nothing new, same old, same old...
Flag
it was ok and has potential... Kind of cheesy but not bad.
Spartacus was a masterpiece (story/plot-wise, cinematography [imo], acting, characters, violence, sex, etc..)...some goes for Vikings (different channel). This is more along the lines of Da Vinci's Demons---some humor, some violence/sex but nothing excessive imo. Oh yeah, I like excessive;-) lol
Flag
Watched the first episode already, and it was all the gloriousness I thought it would be. I loved Spartacus, and I expected similar here, and that's pretty much what I got, and I am not disappointed. It's enjoyable fanfare, it won't win any awards, but its a rip-roaring good time for those who just want some booty of both kinds.
Flag
Already seen it and I've got some pointers. There's no much needed humour, its very pretentious. Everything is superbly done, the settings are beautifil and nothing should feel wrong....but it still do. For you boys out there, Im not sure you'll notice any of my concerns, since full out breasts are shown - WITHOUT patches and ridiculous bras. Im a grown woman and doesnt find tits all that interesting but they are everywhere in this show. I kind of didn't like the fullblown equality between gender, it felt forced and not true.
I will give it one more try, due to the ending of the episode. There might even be a story hidden behind all distractions.
And please beware, Im European and find nuditity normal, even the scary nipples scaring of americans...for some strange reason.
Flag
Already watched the 1st episode. I was a huge fan of spartacus and I have no doubts the story will become bigger and better as it goes.... and I sure like them boobies! I agree that I expected more bloodshed. After spartacus and all. Still. good pilot and I will tune in for the rest of the series!
Flag
I'll probably end up watching it.
Flag
mAB l8R
Flag
First episode was okay. It wasn't all that bad, it wasn't all that good. I think I said this on some other page here, but the first episode felt like a not-as-good Vikings.
Flag
Saw the first episode... not that impressed.

Hoping it gets better, though - will never turn down a show with so much girl-on-girl action (somehow, Tim forgot to mention that!)

But, if I'm being honest, I'm way more excited about NBC's Crossbones - from the guy who created Luther, and with John freakin' Malkovich playing Blackbeard. Now that's pant-crappingly exciting!

But I'll give you a chance, Flint; impress me.
Flag
Agreed, I'm eagerly waiting for Crossbones whilst I watch this to see where it goes from here.
Flag
You lost me at "Michael Bay."

Oh, why not trot out this old favorite? : http://www.theonion.com/content/news/cgi_team_creates_realistic_oscar
Flag
looks pretty awesome. BBC has a new show as well called: the musketeers.
Flag
I was on the fence about giving this one a try, but you've convinced me to do so :)
Flag
as long as Jessica Parker Kennedy's featured in scenes such as the girl on girl action before episode's end , I'll be tuning in ^^ TSC 4ever!!!!
Flag
well you'll be happy sir, cuz she was just the one in that girl on girl tongue action! Some boobies were seen as well!
Flag
i am very much looking forward to the second episode, as well. i like period pieces, be it Rome or the carribean (nice usuage of cerulean, by the way ;p)
Flag
"Smallville's Jessica Parker Kennedy plays the crafty prostitute Max"

Never heard of her. Well, yeah, she played a relatively minor character for three episodes. But I suspect she's much better known for Secret Circle or 90210...
Flag
I had to look her up to figure out who she was on Smallville, and I'm the Smallville editor... :)
Flag
I don't blame you. I thought she looked like Kristin Kreuk. :O
Flag
she was like the bomb girl or something and a member of the suicide squad.
Flag
Yeah the whinny one that stared into things and made them blow up that Chloe had faith in during season 8 when Tess was annoying
Flag
The first episode was great everyone so I too am looking forward to episode 2, anxiously!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members