A Black Sails Community
Saturday 9:00 PM on Starz

Renewal, ho! Wait! I'm not calling you a woman of questionable morals and, err, loose lips. I'm doing a whole pirate-themed announcement because—oh, never mind. 

Starz has renewed its pirate drama Black Sails for a second season. "Great!" you say. "Maybe I'll check out Season 1!" Well, you're going to have to wait a while, because Season 1 hasn't even debuted. That's right, Starz, well-known by now for its early renewals, has outdone itself by granting Black Sails a second season a whopping FIVE MONTHS before the first season premieres, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Black Sails will depart on its maiden voyage in January, but production on Season 2 will start this November. That obviously means you won't be able to bitch on message boards with complaints and expect to see course corrections four or five episodes later. Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said that positive response from an early screening at Comic-Con last week prompted the early renewal. But if all networks made business decisions based on the opinions of Comic-Con audiences, Firefly and anything else with even the smallest special effect or a mention of time travel would still be on, wouldn't it?  

Lord of Explosions Michael Bay is producing the series, which follows Captain Flint (Toby Stephens) two years before the events of Treasure Island. Thar be pirates, thar be wenches, and thar be booty of all definitions. Season 1 will run for eight episodes, and Season 2 will expand with 10 episodes. 

It's a risky move for Starz to put so much stock in a show before it even airs, but hey, that's Starz for ya. 

Here's the Season 1 trailer:

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/26/2016

Season 3 : Episode 10

48 Comments
Comments (48)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I watched 1 1/2 episodes of Black Sails and think it's one of the worst programs on television. I, for one, wish it had been cancelled.
Flag
Why would any idiot wish for a show to be canceled. Are you being forced to watch it at gun point? Why does it matter to you. Dont watch. I think its good and im excited for season 2. Are they taking money out of your pay check yo produce it?
Flag
I wondering which pirate show will be better this or NBC's Crossbones.
Flag
I was reading some articles on my Galaxy Note using some program called flipboards or something like that and saw something about a show I used to watch, Sliders! Does anyone remember that show, it was butchered by the execs and they showed it out of order and most people couldn't follow it at the beginning because things were happening out of place. This show most certainly would have been cancelled with todays TV execs, and you know what, it survived for 5 full seasons and this was because stations didn't get scared away by slow starts and actually believed in their showrunners, where nowadays shows get the hook after 3 episodes, before the show finishes telling the audience what the show is about. You know what, the show wasn't the best ever, but it has a cult following and did very well for the stations that ran it so when shows get renewed before airing I say Good on them so whoever has the vision doesn't need to worry about satisfying weekly numbers while trying to establish an identity. This is how we have shows that ran for 10 seasons like Stargate, which in todays world would have got the axe probably after either 1 season or 2 but now we have about 17 seasons of Stargate shows because they just ran with an idea and didn't have to worry about a guy with his finger on the cancel button. I'll bet you guys can name a hundred shows that would have been canceled in todays TV Land but were a part of your life because someone had a good idea and was left to follow it to the end! So when we get this rare chance to have 2 seasons of a show to start with no matter how it begins, we should be thankful and just watch the show and hope it falls into its own before 2 seasons is up so it gets another few seasons. I think all shows should have 2 seasons to prove themselves and if they aren't watched then at least they had a chance to shine and tell their story.So in the name of Sliders, i'm glad Black Sails got 2 seasons to start and I hope they hit a Home Run!
More+
Flag
They did it with Spartacus to success. And if they're starting to film season 2 in November and the first season starts in January, they won't get all ten episodes filmed and can just add the one to three episodes of season two they've filmed to the end of season one if the show looks like a lost cause. Its smart all the way around.
Flag
its brilliant to have faith in a product. at least the fans will/could get two seasons.
Flag
Michael Bay is tangentially involved with this? Well, say no more! [cue sounds of me permanently erasing this show from my brain] The mere mention of his name is more than enough to keep me as far away from a project as I can possibly get.
Flag
Starz no doubt paid out so much for this early on and thought, shi'it better use this stuff again quick smart. I do hope this is better than the usual costumes and tit fest but not much more. I know The Pogues are hoping for Rum, sodomy, and the lash, at the least though.
Flag
It's not as surprising as it sounds when you consider that season 1 is only 8 episodes. On a regular broadcast network they would be adding additional episodes. In comparison, it's like a full season order.
Flag
That's still quick, a network ordering more episodes to a show that hasn't even aired yet (chances are those episodes would air after a break or something).
Flag
Another prequel story.These days everything is either a sequel or a prequel.
Flag
Don't Networks tend to order 13 initial episodes of a new series? So, we're talking a 5 episode difference over 2 years. I'm guessing that production costs mean that getting at least 18 episodes out of a show makes sense.
The hard thing for a Starz show is to make it to Season 3!
Flag
so where is season two's trailer....I thought the show is renewed already, so show me the trailer for the next season.
Flag
But if all networks made business decisions based on the opinions of Comic-Con audiences, Firefly and anything else with even the smallest special effect or a mention of time travel would still be on, wouldn't it?
-You're the best Tim!
Flag
I think, especially with serialized genre and drama, people are reluctant to commit if they think the show is just gonna be cancelled without giving it a chance to find its feet. This is Starz trying to ride any Comic-con buzz they can get, emphasize that it was well received by viewers, and placate any skittish potential viewers who've been burned many times in the past and might not want to get invested without the promise of more story to come.
Flag
Its a bold move by Starz to renew the show this early, we'll see if it pays off.
On the other hand Toby Stephens and pirates, yeah im definitely tuning in.
Flag
This is pay cable, the money will be there regardless. Many of those giving side eyes to this move will be some of the biggest fans (though they won't admit/remember it) when it airs.
Flag
'It's a risky move for Starz to put so much stock in a show before it even airs', but yet it's okay for Netflix to do, Tim?
Flag
What's next? Renewing a show before it's even created?

Someone pitching a show to Starz: "I've got a GREAT idea for a new show!"

Starz Executive: "Say no more! Production on season 2 will commence in two years. Sign here."

All jesting aside, I'm looking forward to this one. Starz has earned some major credibility points with me after the SPECTACULAR first season of Da Vinci's Demons (one of the best new shows of the year behind only Banshee, Orphan Black and Hannibal), which they also renewed rather early. Who am I to question their business model when they're producing quality programming? Keep the early renewals comin', Starz!
Flag
I'm actually more interested in SyFy announcing that they are developing a series based on the film Legion, as well as some other non reality shows - http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/syfy-gives-pilot-order-to-dominion-as-quartet-of-other-projects-heat-up/
Flag
Yeah, saw that and was thinking the other maybe's sound hopeful too - at least going by some of the crew behind them. A 24 style 12 Monkeys, now that would be a mindfuck!
But M. Night Shamalamadingdong on anything gives me the fear of late.
Flag
Starz says in a statement that although the network is proud of the show, it has "made the difficult decision to not proceed with `Boss."' The move was a flip-flop for Starz, which renewed the show for a second season even before its first season began. sorry but Black Sails will failed ...
Flag
just for the buzz...

Flag
This was a no-brainer.. They let this crew build the two ships, with all of the sails and rigs so they would actually be shooting the scenes on boats - that had to cost some money and Starz must love what they've shot so far. Sounds like it could be interesting and better that Disney crap. Zach McGowan turned one of the strangest characters on 'Shameless' 'Jody' into one of the best of the non-Gallagher characters. Jody got a touching send off. Nice to see he's a Captain now. Jessica Parker Kennedy was the under-appreciated of the 'Secret Circle' witches, but doesn;t look like she's going to be trapped in a fall-out shelter on her new show;). Gorgeous location shot in South Africa. Trailer looked great. Hopefully it can fill the void 'Spartacus' is going to be leaving in Starz schedule in 6 months. 'Spartacus' was the networks best performing show and they showed faith in it from the start. Give 'Black Sails' a chance.
Flag
To imply, even in jest, that Firefly should not have continued is a high crime of the TV world.

Trailer looks ok, I'll check out the premier for sure but I'm certainly not on the edge of my seat.
Flag
Comic-Con audiences are somewhat generous to genre, yes, but they're also fickle and brutal. That said, the idea that Starz based their decision on the screening(s?) and their silly booth in the exhibit hall ("hey, let's do a pirate ship-themed booth! And we'll do it a few slots over from the OTHER pirate ship-themed booth, yeah!") is a complete mistake, Comic-Con audiences are not loyal to new projects and they are not useful for broader word-of-mouth. But none of my clever analysis really matters since it's Starz.
Flag
The trailer is certainly amazing and I really can't wait for the show to start! And going into a series already knowing it's renewed, is really really cool!!! Awesome news!!!
Flag
Maybe, this is their way to try and hook those viewers who normally wouldn't tune in for season one, "because what if it gets cancelled?", which leads to less viewers, which actually DOES lead to early cancellation, which is kinda when the snake devours its own tale... By telling people "no y'all, we promise it won't get cancelled!" they might actually increase viewership, which is what they need to keep the show going for more than one season, even though they've already decided it'll stick around for a second season, which is the snake-thing again but the other way around this time.

And now I'm a little confused.
Flag
AWESOME! Man this show looks outstanding, seems they are going all out for Michael Bay and from the trailer and the fact that they renewed so soon I'll bet this will be on pace with all of the best shows on TV today! Good Luck Black Sails!!!
Flag
Well, this is certainly interesting. What, were they all sitting around watching season one, when someone said, "This is so great we need to renew it for a second season, right fucking now! What's the rush, give it a chance to stink up the joint and get cancelled like everything else...
Flag
Negativity go home, Positive vibes only from now on, way to many good shows get cancelled because of negativity. Go Starz
Flag
I'm pretty sure negativity isn't the reason. And how can we not have negativity when a great show like Bunheads gets cancelled. No, it's public apathy which results in poor ratings. But positivity surely doesn't hurt, so I feel ya...
Flag
I like that they're just honest when saying they're renewing things one episode after it airs, or in this case before it airs. Unlike Syfy who pretended to renew Stargate Universe after season 1 aired even though the original contract was for two seasons no matter what.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members