Black. White. Forums

FX (ended 2006)

Why Black White is flawed

pappy97

[1]Mar 12, 2006
    • level: 4
    Black White is a good concept, no surprise that it comes from RJ Cutler (American High, Freshman Diaries).

The flaw? Having it in Los Angeles.

LA and CA for that matter is too diverse.

Don't have this show take place in the one contiguous state where white people are not the majority.

The black family is from Atlanta. They should have done the show in Atlanta, or at least somehere in Georgia. Or in the middle of nowhere KS, MO, IA, etc, etc.

Then the dad of the white family would really see some racism.

The show is flawed for being set in LA.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pappy97

[2]Mar 12, 2006
    I'm even shocked the black dad didn't pick up on the FACT that racism towards blacks is more prevalent in places outside of SF/LA.

He should be telling Bruno, "let's go take a trip to Wyoming, or Arkansas. Rural towns only, and then see if you notice a difference with your black makeup on."

Los Angeles is the LAST place in the US you would want to do this.

pappy97

[3]Mar 12, 2006
    Even in Wyoming or Arkansas, most people won't tell the Black Bruno "Hey n***a," BUT he will notice everyone staring at him.

He will ALSO feel what it's like to be out and about and EVERY SINGLE PERSON except him is white.

That alone makes you feel weird.

Once again, having this show in LA is stupid. Hopefully they salvage it by having the families take a trip to a backwards part of our country.

SunsprayHoney

[4]Mar 12, 2006
    • level: 12
    Shut up and go to IMDB where all the other haters are.

pappy97

[5]Mar 12, 2006
    I'm not hating, it's a great concept. And I will watch the entire series.

I love the work of RJ Cutler. He has great ideas.

But just admit it:

This show should take place in a more racist part of the country, not Los Angeles, California.

How can I be the only one who sees this?

SunsprayHoney

[6]Mar 12, 2006
    pappy97 wrote:

But just admit it:

This show should take place in a more racist part of the country, not Los Angeles, California.

So basically you're watching this series just for rascism?

pappy97

[7]Mar 13, 2006
    SunsprayHoney wrote:
    pappy97 wrote:

But just admit it:

So basically you're watching this series just for rascism?

I'm watching because I like the concept.

Since you seem to ignore my points, I take it you don't see how the show would make much more sense if it were set in a very white part of America, like rural Arkansas/Mississippi/etc?

degrass1fan

[8]Mar 14, 2006
    SunsprayHoney wrote:
    Shut up and go to IMDB where all the other haters are.

Calm down

The only reason they had this show in LA is because of its past. Everyone knows that LA used to be divided by racism(does the race riots ring a bell?) and its the perfect setting to get to know what its like to be the other race. Send the white family to South Central and they learn what its like...send the black family to Malibu, or other sections of LA that have more whites than blacks.

pappy97

[9]Mar 15, 2006
    To say that white people in Malibu are anything like white people in rural Iowa is a HUGE stretch.

In fact, it's completely off. In Malibu the black people won't get treated nearly as bad as in rural Iowa, which you might actually find people that have literally never seen a colored person (at least non white, non black) in real life, only on TV.

That's a big difference from the rich snobs of Malibu.

But this show apparently has actors and not real people, and that sucks.

jsm11482

[10]Mar 15, 2006
    • level: 5
    I hadnt thought of it like that, it would be better in a different location. Not sure what SunsprayHoney's problem is....

vickase

[11]Mar 16, 2006
    • level: 1
    I think that comment should also say, have the black guy and black lady in their white make up and walk down the streets of Memphis Tennessee and you will see the same type of racism towards white people that a black person would see in your comment. Don't be one sided that is why there is racism because people only look at one side there is always two sides to the story and no matter the color of your skin if you are the minority in that town you will most likely be treated differently.

IAChad79

[12]Mar 16, 2006
    • level: 7
    pappy97 wrote:
    To say that white people in Malibu are anything like white people in rural Iowa is a HUGE stretch.

In fact, it's completely off. In Malibu the black people won't get treated nearly as bad as in rural Iowa, which you might actually find people that have literally never seen a colored person (at least non white, non black) in real life, only on TV.

Unless you have lived here in my state of Iowa, you have no idea what your talking about. Several other states in the United States are smaller that us. I grew up in the waterloo area where there is a huge black popular. I believe over 50% of the population is black in waterloo. There also is a fairly large amount where I now live in cedar rapids. I am sick of people thinking this is just a bunch of farm land. I don't even see farms. I live in the city. Most people here are very accepting. My mom and other people date black people or other races and it's not taboo, so pick what you know to talk about. Kansas is way way smaller than us, they just have omaha and that's it, so us them, not us. The show it supposed to give people and idea of what it's like to be the other race in general. Most people are huge racists. They just have miconceptions like they are showing on the show. I don't think that seeking out the most racist places would be helpful. What joy would you people see in seeing people be called mean names. The only good it would do is making people feel hurt and perhaps undone the good this show is attempting to do.

tjaman

[13]Mar 16, 2006
    • level: 32
    [haley joel osment] I see black people ... [/haley joel osment]

North Dakota probably qualifies as one of the backwards, rural areas you speak of. And I've mostly lived near one or the other of the air bases or in the larger burghs, so I've maybe had more contact with other races than maybe others. I've gone to school with black people and worked with them and hung out with them. Without exception, the pressure on them to assimilate is incredibly strong. And yes, they probably do stand out a lot more as individuals when walking down the street.

But in my limited, isolated contact, I haven't noticed any of the stuff that that white idiot who Renee was talking to in the bar last night was spouting, about laziness or ignorance. Ultimately, individuals choose how to conduct their lives. If there's a more pervasive cultural bias they're drawing on, I've been unaware of it.

The culture in the Upper Midwest is a strong work ethic. That's just survival. Actual effort needs to be expended in order to keep your house warm and maintained and to keep food on the table.

Anyone not aligning themselves with that ... well, that's just Darwinian.

Racism does vary in intensity and mode of expression as one moves about the country, and I guess I'm interested in seeing that it even seems to exist in as cosmopolitan a state as Californ-y.

pappy97

[14]Mar 16, 2006
    IAChad79 wrote:
    pappy97 wrote:

Unless you have lived here in my state of Iowa, you have no idea what your talking about. Several other states in the United States are smaller that us. I grew up in the waterloo area where there is a huge black popular. I believe over 50% of the population is black in waterloo. There also is a fairly large amount where I now live in cedar rapids. I am sick of people thinking this is just a bunch of farm land. I don't even see farms. I live in the city. Most people here are very accepting. My mom and other people date black people or other races and it's not taboo, so pick what you know to talk about. Kansas is way way smaller than us, they just have omaha and that's it, so us them, not us. The show it supposed to give people and idea of what it's like to be the other race in general. Most people are huge racists. They just have miconceptions like they are showing on the show. I don't think that seeking out the most racist places would be helpful. What joy would you people see in seeing people be called mean names. The only good it would do is making people feel hurt and perhaps undone the good this show is attempting to do.

Ever been to the Amana Colonies in Iowa? You won't see anyone of color there. I bet someone black, asian, etc would feel weird there.

I am east indian, but born here in the US (Cali, no accent. I am sick and tired of being made to feel unwelcome in many places in this country. It's hurts, really hurts, and I don't like it. White people who watch this show should see the pain it causes. Setting it in LA doesn't help that. My wife is white, and I hate that I don't want to meet her dad's extended side of the family (West Virginia, the family there has never met me, never expressed much desire, and never asks my wife about me, but they ask her sister about her f**k-up white husband) or her mom's extended side of the family (Montana, again that family has not expressed much desire either).

Some of this extended family on both sides thinks of me as a "foreigner," but how am I a foreigner if I was BORN HERE (legally too)?? If I am a foreigner, so are they, because they are not Native American. But this doesn't cross their puny little minds.

I met my wife near rural Missouri, and people there stared too (at me and at us if were walking around holding hands). I'm glad I got back to my home state of CA, but it bothers me to no end that going to places like Montana, West Virginia, rural MO, etc, would make me feel pain. I am a natural born american citizen, I should't feel unwelcome in any state of the union. But I do in most of them, and it's all because of race.

My wife probably wouldn't be lovey-dovey with me if I did go with her to WV or MT because of dirty looks, or worse yet, insults, racial epithets, and possibly violence.

Of course, using actors like the girl from Disney's "Movie Surfers" is quite pathetic. A documentary would have been sweet, but a mockumentary? Not for this subject. I expected more from RJ Cutler (American high, Freshman Diaries, 30 Days).

pappy97

[15]Mar 16, 2006
    "Unless you have lived here in my state of Iowa, you have no idea what your talking about."

Unless you are not white, you have no idea what you are talking about. You have no idea to feel the pain due to racism like I do, and many other non-whites of various ethnicities do.

pappy97

[16]Mar 16, 2006
    "I guess I'm interested in seeing that it even seems to exist in as cosmopolitan a state as Californ-y."

My thing is that people in California and New York don't see the racism that occurs in rural Missouri/Kansas/Arkansas/Mississippi/West VA/etc. This would be an eye-opener for all.

SunsprayHoney

[17]Mar 16, 2006
    jsm11482 wrote:
    I hadnt thought of it like that, it would be better in a different location. Not sure what SunsprayHoney's problem is....

Lol, it's obvious you just used a different account to say that.

IAChad79

[18]Mar 16, 2006
    • level: 7
    pappy97 wrote:
    "Unless you have lived here in my state of Iowa, you have no idea what your talking about."

Unless you are not white, you have no idea what you are talking about. You have no idea to feel the pain due to racism like I do, and many other non-whites of various ethnicities do.

Oh I certainly didn't mean for you to think that. My point was simply that just because Iowa is perceived as this farmer all white don't know anything place, that people should use that as some example of a state that's more racist than others, when really it is not. I have been to several surrounding states that I have noticed way more issues than I have here. I just think people don't really know our state, is actually quite nice, I prefer it over Illinois, California and other areas. There is less crime here, so I think that also helps with having less hate because not as many people are doing things to each other, but there is plenty enough diversity so people aren't accustom to anything. I have gotten some negative attention for being gay. Way less gay people than black people, so I know what it's like to be treated bad for being what I am.
    Edited on 03/16/2006 6:45pm

vickase

[19]Mar 17, 2006
    You are ignorant, quoting you "black people won't get treated nearly as bad in a more racist area" like black people are the only ones treated badly, why don't you take your white butt to memphis a more black area and walk down the streets there then we will see if because your white you will be treated like a king I bet not, I bet you get treated horribly because your ignorant. People teach other people how to treat them and if that is your mind set you will not get very far in you accomplishments, good luck to you!

GGordonKitty

[20]Mar 18, 2006
    vickase,
    You seem to be one of those people who throw the word "ignorant" at those who have a perspecuive you are unfamiliar with or offended by. IAChad79 was only giving an example of where his life experience has brought him.

One might consider your inability to punctuate correctly and your use of run on sentences(not to mention your use of the word "accomplishments" out of context) to be ignorant as well.